UPSB v4

Hand Care / Natural Position of your Pinky Finger

1. Gash
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 07:57:57

Ok guys. My pinky finger is retarded. I'm pretty sure this thread is not similar to other pinky finger threads. Hopefully. When I put my hand flat, with my fingers together, my 123 fingers are all close together. However my pinky finger is further away, by about 2 cm. So not all my fingers are together. This is concerning me in my spinning ability. Such as... in this video. [video=youtube;drzNJoMvdlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drzNJoMvdlE[/video] If you pause at 0:13, you can see my pinky finger sticking out from the rest of my fingers. It makes my spinning really ugly imo. [video=youtube;Y6KoQfds36E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6KoQfds36E&feature=related[/video] And here's another example. If you pause at 0:01, you'll see that my fingers are all together while doing the palmspin, but my pinky finger is further away. So umm guys, how can I fix this problem? I've been thinking of taping my pinky finger to my ring finger? Help please T_T :D I know it was a long post.

2. YUi
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 08:48:43

Your fingers look great (: i dont think there's a problem.

3. Far
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 09:05:04

Yes, your fingers are alright imo, no problem with that ^_^ btw, nice spinning! XD

4. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 09:08:24

get a rubber band/string/tape, use it to tie/bind your ring and pinky (or maybe even ring, pinky, middle, or ring, pinky, middle, and index); then train palmspins with your hand prepared in this manner

5. Gash
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:11:53

Hmm, thanks. Hopefully my hands are "normal". I forgot to mention though, when my left hand does palmspins, all four of my fingers are close together naturally o_o And I tried taping my pinky and ring together. My hand ended up like this... -> Index, Middle (Next to each other), (gap, making a V shape, only a small one though), Ring finger, Pinky (Next to each other). I guess I'll try taking your advice and taping all my fingers together next time >__<

6. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:24:46

dont like it? http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=8221 that is all

7. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:26:05

i like it that way o_O looks so much more nicer

8. Nyx
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 12:09:28

It's so much better. My pinky is same as you too.

9. Rogersbored
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 15:36:48

@Gash I suggest practicing Pinky Bak Rev > FL TA (Second half of Hai Tua) and Symmetrical Backaround (Sym Bak) I don't know for sure, but these two tricks to will kind of force your Ring and Pinky together, unless your hand finds a way to adjust to the trick. Another trick you might want to practice is RingPinkyAround. It seems pretty hard, and I would imagine you do it just like a PinkyAround (palm up), except you link your pinky and ring together. Also try this stretch. Your pinky finger may be more isolated because of tightness in the muscle in the side of your hand. 1. Hold your spinning arm out straight. 2. Grab your fingers and pull them back. You should feel a stretch somewhere in your wrist area. (This is a common stretch) 3. While maintaining the same position, turn your hand clockwise (left) or counter-clockwise (right) You may not feel as much of a stretch, but it may bring results over an extended period of time. Hope I helped! P.S. It's up to you to see whether you want to invest time into correcting this habit. -There's a chance that it can't be corrected, because that's how your hand really is. The bone that sprouts your pinky and ring may have split the pinky and ring more apart. -Your Pinky finger, as many people said, isn't all that "ugly" looking. I only makes your hand seem a little more tense. That said, maybe part of the problem IS your hand being tensed? Maybe the pinky problem is more visible because your hand is tense while spinning? You may be able to avoid the problem without ever having to solve it!

10. Enkronidus
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 18:15:18

Cut it. :trollface: Serious answer: http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=8221 Like Penja. Simply 'force' to change your style. It will indeed take a lot of time, though

11. Mufoofee
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 18:39:48

Its okay.

12. Gash
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 21:22:37

@Rogersbored Thanks for your post. I really doubt Pinky Bak Rev -> FLTA and Sym Bak would help me much. As for tricks such as Pinkyaround (Palm Up), Power pass, and Pinky Spreads, my pinky is already "attached" to my ring finger. So I'm guessing it's just certain tricks that my pinky is "random". As Enkronidus said, I'm actually more believing that this is a style problem perhaps. Maybe the way I learnt the tricks initially caused this problem. But anyways, Rogersbored, I'm going to try out that stretch that you mentioned. Maybe 5-10 minutes a day or something and see where that gets me. Thanks again :)

13. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 22:14:40

Rogersbored wrote: @Gash P.S. It's up to you to see whether you want to invest time into correcting this habit. -There's a chance that it can't be corrected, because that's how your hand really is. The bone that sprouts your pinky and ring may have split the pinky and ring more apart.
    the rest of your post is pretty much spot on i do need to pick at this one line though... the fact that he can move his pinky and his ring together at all, without causing any physical strain rules this out. If it were a hand structure issue, he'd have trouble just holding his fingers together it's just a habit... if i can find something i really dont like about my spinning to do with style, i ll start up the breaking a habit thread again... not much i want to change yet though

14. Eruption
    Date: Tue, Nov 29 2011 00:45:29

Your hand is fine, but if you really want to fix it, then I suggest you do some regular hand exercises.