UPSB v4

Hand Care / [Help] Cure for beginner's heavy-pen addiction?

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 03:29:28

So I just made a new heavy mod that I plans to post a tutorial about, trying to challange the Buster CYL but with much cheaper cost. But after playing with the prototype for a while, I realized that I am now highly addicted to this pen. I could not stand going back to my previous main (the yo-yo mawd), as it feels as if I am spinning a plastic straw (figuratively). I have heard that becoming used to a heavy mod means the doom of a new spinner, that to regain the undamaged touch, you must castrate yourself and endure the pain of whiplash as an act of repentance....... ......ok j/k lol. But all the kidding aside, is there any way that I could cure this? Or do I need to go through some sort of "heavy pen rehabilation" program?

2. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 03:40:36

Try spinning a normal pen, cry, become motivated to learn how to spin unmodded pens. Take your mod out into public and spin that around, get weird looks, feel ashamed, go home, and become motivated to learn how to spin less heavy pens. Learn how to do the trick with a heavy mod, practice with a light mod.

3. browndog12
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 03:43:01

i used to be stuck with my Minwoo mod :S but then i realized that after power tricking with it for a half hour, my hands started to get sore. woke up the next day, grabbed my MX for school, BAM. no more heavy mods. also, you could make some ridiculously light mod like a dc comssa and force yourself to spin with it, then go back you your yoyo mawd.

4. AWtii69
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 04:31:19

yes, this happened to me too, it sucks, you should take the tips off your buster like mod and spin that, or if you have access to a lot of mods go to something signo tipped(waterfall, emboss) then go to a hgg tipped mod(metallic comssa, mx^2) then bam back to your yoyo mod, hope it helps!

5. tacohead12
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 04:46:39

mmm.. just dont spin a mod. Spin an unmodded rsvp :o

6. ZBlitz
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 05:17:49

just try to spin lighter pen/mod more,as long as you don't spin that heavy mod for too long,your hand will adapt to the momentum of the lighter mod after you spin it soon enough

7. Hippo2626
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 06:23:00

Just spin the lighter mods again regardless of what it feel like. It will seem as though your spinning has diminished on that mod but it'll come back over time. Just don't give up on that mod so easily. It took me awhile to get back to spinning lighter mods from my main mods but after continuous practice, without giving up, now I can spin very light mods like comssa's and ballsign mods well right after a season of spinning heavier mods. Although I do try to aviod heavy mods as much as possible. Main thing is don't give up on the lighter mod's be persistent. You'll get used to it eventually.

8. Rapid
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 06:26:40

LOL what i did when i haz this was give my mom my effin heavy mods and tell her to not give it to me even if i kiss her foot or something like that for (BLANK) days/weeks.

9. sangara
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 18:47:05

There's nothing wrong with your heavy pen, just keep spinning it.

10. spinnerhui
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 19:12:31

I spun penz gear and now my buster feels light... nvm, it's still heavy... I can spin signo tipped mods, I just think that I lost them all... +(

11. hens
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 19:37:14

nothing particularly wrong with it ._. though if you're determined on spinning light pens normally without a weird feeling, give your spinning a few days of rest then spin a dc comssa for another few days and it'll be bout right again (tho as a consequence your heavy mod might feel like a lead bar afterwards >_>)

12. miyat
    Date: Wed, Mar 30 2011 01:09:38

watch pro light pen mod spinners like this: [video=youtube;lNov9pApdzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNov9pApdzQ[/video] and be very patient when spinning lighter mods, it takes time to get used to, a very long time, also get heavy pens and put them in a place that's hard to get to so you'll be demotivated to find the heavy pens and spin them.

13. daniel0731ex
    Date: Wed, Mar 30 2011 01:53:08

Thanks for all the replys guys, And that video O_O that guy looks as if he's yoyoing instead of penspinning.

14. mintypaladin
    Date: Wed, Mar 30 2011 16:02:25

what ive found with experience- if you spin a friggin lead stick like a buster, carry either an unmodded pencil or an unmodded bictory to spin, sort of like a "cool down" after excersise. if you dont feel like doing that, then try not spinning for about a week..then try spinning lighter mods again

15. Alvaris
    Date: Wed, Mar 30 2011 16:16:47

"then try not spinning for about a week..." no can do, unless you're bored and tired of penspinning and about to quit.

16. Kirby
    Date: Thu, Mar 31 2011 22:25:28

shoeman6 wrote: Try spinning a normal pen, cry, become motivated to learn how to spin unmodded pens. Take your mod out into public and spin that around, get weird looks, feel ashamed, go home, and become motivated to learn how to spin less heavy pens. Learn how to do the trick with a heavy mod, practice with a light mod.
    Mod status engage liek a boss

17. Hidekyo
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:56:32

spin a regular rsvp while writing

18. Danny116
    Date: Wed, Jul 20 2011 22:41:00

Hmmm, i got rid of my buster addiction by gradually lowering the weight of my mod.i went from a buster, to a waterfall, then down to something lighter then a Signo MX S: I use an RSVP backcap as a "tip," used some DR grip to hold it one a comssa cap, spins awesomely xD and now my buster feels like a metal rod o-e

19. Elune
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 07:18:46

I had to thank God for my losing BC xD After I'd lost it, I started using a Dr.ComSsa, then a personal Mod, then my Dr.CT now :) So relieved to use lighter pen :) Well if you're addicted to heavy pens, it's OK I think (spinning a BC is awesome to newbies I know), but unless you're heavily focused on PWT, you should gradually reduce the weight of your pen For example, try using a Dr.Grip Tip instead of Airfit Tip, then a Airfit Jell Tip, then a Signo Tip with metal ball inside ... finally you'll be able to spin any pen xD P/s : Airfit Jell Tip is quite light imo ... it's even lighter than a Faber Castell Gripmatic Tip right ?

20. Clyde
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 08:24:19

is it really hard to switch mods? I spin a self mod a little bit heavier than vicgotgame, and can easily switch to an rsvp mx, though switching to a double capped comssa takes me around 3 mins to get used to the paperlike weight. You just have to get used to it

21. S.E.Cular
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 08:47:23

i was addicted to heavy mods for a while too, then i saw s777 in the world tournament and his spinning was just flat out sexy. Now when i learn/make new links i practice them on a heavy mod, a medium mod, and a light mod and get it down on all of them. i figure it's a good habit.

22. Velocity
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 10:02:47

Give somebody your buster (someone that you trust) and tell them to not give it back till your next birthday (assuming you have already had your birthday) Also is Ryos cheat comssa heavy for a beginner?

23. Clyde
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 13:11:15

Velocity wrote: Give somebody your buster (someone that you trust) and tell them to not give it back till your next birthday (assuming you have already had your birthday) Also is Ryos cheat comssa heavy for a beginner?
    most mods are heavy for a beginner, light ones are comssa, metallic comssa and rsvp mx

24. Velocity
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 13:39:42

Clyde wrote: most mods are heavy for a beginner, light ones are comssa, metallic comssa and rsvp mx
    by beginner I mean me, a 4 monther

25. Clyde
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 13:45:48

Velocity wrote: by beginner I mean me, a 4 monther
    no, it falls under normal already, by 4 months of PS you would already distinguish what's light as fuck(double capped comssa no grips), light(rsvp mx), normal(rsvp mx^2), heavy(dr kt), heavy as fuck(vicgotgame)

26. Spin4fun
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 15:12:49

isit ok for a 3 monther spinning a mod that is: RSVP^2

27. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 16:31:35

Elune wrote: I had to thank God for my losing BC xD After I'd lost it, I started using a Dr.ComSsa, then a personal Mod, then my Dr.CT now :) [B]So relieved to use lighter pen :)[/B]
    Dr. CT's are lighter than Busters but are still considered pretty heavy ._.

28. Gezus
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 17:48:45

Guys I'm pretty new to PS and I can't help but ask whats so wrong about using a heavy pen? I'm using slightly customized bictory at the moment and I is kinda light but I keep reading that a heavy pen for a new spinner is like doom haha someone help me out xD

29. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 18:35:07

Gezus wrote: Guys I'm pretty new to PS and I can't help but ask whats so wrong about using a heavy pen? I'm using slightly customized bictory at the moment and I is kinda light but I keep reading that a heavy pen for a new spinner is like doom haha someone help me out xD
    A light mod will build up your fundamentals properly. A heavy mod's weight will help carry the pen through tricks on its own, so your fingers won't learn the movements perfectly if you are only using a heavy mod. You can always go back to a lighter mod, but its hard to find motivation to do so once you start with heavy mods. A bictory is a good starting mod, so you don't have to worry about it with that.

30. Gezus
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 18:41:10

cool thanks man =D

31. Elune
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 09:02:02

Nachoaddict wrote: Dr. CT's are lighter than Busters but are still considered pretty heavy ._.
    yeah I know, but I love my Dr.CT :) Besides, I was given this pen when I lost my BC ... so I just use it

32. Forest
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 19:24:42

lol weird...i never got this i always spin heavy mods from Busters to KTs to Vicgotgame mods but i can still spin an mx just fine. =_=

33. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 20:38:19

The way i cured my buster spinning was to go from heavy pens to progressively lighter pens. ie: Buster CYL ~> Dr. KT ~> Lemon Mod ~> RSVP MX ~> Gripless Comssa. If you want this cycle to go through faster try spinning lighter mods immediately instead of going progressively lighter. I decided to do this by: Not spinning for a while, pick up a gripped Comssa then spun it as fast as i could, then in about a couple days to a week i could spin light mods again. I usually spin a Lemon mod, Metal Comssa, BICtory, and an RSVP MX. Spinning a long BICtory helps because its length adds momentum while still being light.

34. Twine
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 21:36:01

I didn't do any cycle. :L Just spin what you want. No one cares if it's heavy or not. I spin a pen with a ton of momentum but it's doesn't bother me at all

35. Krypton
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 03:12:47

The first time I spun a Buster my hand ache the whole evening even though I only used it for ~15 mins. But I was careful not to get addicted. Now I can go from spinning a Waterfall to a Metal Comssa to fooling around with a Buster with not much problems or hand injuries.

36. ricesi
    Date: Sat, Jul 30 2011 18:09:56

that used to be my problem, but my friend told me that i HAD to practice with a bictory, or my practicing would be useless. practicing spinning makes ur roots stronger, and makes ur spinning stronger on a heavier mod.

37. ricesi
    Date: Sat, Jul 30 2011 18:12:05

shindong's idea is logical, and i agree with it. this makes it do that u don't feel that much difference during the slow transition.

38. Wisp
    Date: Sat, Jul 30 2011 23:48:09

Maybe @PenwisH could make sections on his website, Beginner Mods, Intermediate, Advanced. Or he could note on the heavier mods that it should be handled by people with more skill. However this might reduce his sales.. Not saying you don't have a monopoly of the market already ;)

39. wings
    Date: Sun, Jul 31 2011 00:31:28

Gezus wrote: Guys I'm pretty new to PS and I can't help but ask whats so wrong about using a heavy pen? I'm using slightly customized bictory at the moment and I is kinda light but I keep reading that a heavy pen for a new spinner is like doom haha someone help me out xD
    Keep your bictory and mod it how you like, because when I was a beginner I learned almost half of my tricks with a bictory.

40. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jul 31 2011 00:50:12

Wisp wrote: Maybe @PenwisH could make sections on his website, Beginner Mods, Intermediate, Advanced. Or he could note on the heavier mods that it should be handled by people with more skill. However this might reduce his sales.. Not saying you don't have a monopoly of the market already ;)
    good idea and i dont see how this will reduce sales

41. erik123098
    Date: Sun, Jul 31 2011 12:23:53

For me, I spun for a month with a regular MX or Toro MX. I srsly, literally hid all my heavy mods. Now, when I feel that I'm getting addicted to a heavy mod, I change my mod and spin a SC mod or a light DC mod.

42. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Jul 31 2011 18:47:50

spin the lightest or light and most unbalanced pen or something else you can find. Spin only that for 1~2 weeks -> spinning ballsign feels like heaven

43. Explosion101
    Date: Mon, Aug 1 2011 00:11:19

imma let you finish but the only reason newbies shouldnt spin heavy mods is to prevent weight dependency and problems with your hand muscles

44. drgripable
    Date: Wed, Aug 3 2011 01:41:55

i found a cure. its actually REALL convincing. basically, its an ivan mod without the grips. the tips stay in, but there are no grips. it feels almost like a buster, but is actually only 16 grams. i might post a tut later.

45. DArKT
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 00:26:50

drgripable wrote: i found a cure. its actually REALL convincing. basically, its an ivan mod without the grips. the tips stay in, but there are no grips. it feels almost like a buster, but is actually only 16 grams. i might post a tut later.
    I want one!!!Tuto?

46. drgripable
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 00:46:20

ok i need more requests tho. i'll post in SOYP

47. DArKT
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 01:30:10

drgripable wrote: ok i need more requests tho. i'll post in SOYP
    Okay then...tell me what did u used to place the tips!

48. drgripable
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 01:49:15

need a tut ;) sorry. ask ppl to request

49. Cloud
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 02:07:09

Airfit grip is 4 grams? and plus, i recall penwish saying ivan was a little heavier than buster. i'm not sure if weight actually matters. if you have a super long mod with signo tips, it still could have more momentum than a buster... so if it feels like a buster, the the momentum must be somewhat similar right? then it wouldnt really help... @drgripable