UPSB v4

Hand Care / Pencil lead stuck in my hand

1. Snorky
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 21:46:31

Well, about 4-5 years ago somebody stabbed my hand with a pencil and the lead broke off and got stuck about 1cm beneath my skin. I know it's a bit late, but is there any way besides some sort of surgery that I can safely get it out? Every time I look at my hand it bothers me, it's like a little stain.

2. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 21:59:29

Erm... Cut it out yourself? I'm surprised it stayed in that long. I once had a splinter that was roughly that deep and it came out by itself after a few weeks...

3. browndog12
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:00:28

holy shit, is it that deep? i think after 4 or 5 years, the actual hole would've healed up, i don't think you can get it out by now.

4. Snorky
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:03:33

I remember somebody telling me they had lead in their hand but it also came out by itself, I guess I'm just unlucky.

5. Im-still-here
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:03:58

If it was real lead (obviously not) you probably would of lost that hand by now. I'm sure if you consult a doctor about it something can be done. If it were me i would of dug into my flesh and too it out though. Leaving a piece of pencil lead in my hand for 5 years is ridiculous.

6. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:06:46

Pencil lead is made of graphite, even though we call it 'lead' for some reason. Graphite isn't toxic like lead, or at least, not *as* toxic as lead. I mean, you can't just like eat a kilogram of it... I once had a splinter that was maybe 0.5cm deep in my finger, but it ran down nearly the whole length of the finger (tip to about 80% of the way down). Some careful (and very painful) cutting with a needle removed this. I had iodine nearby to disinfect and bandages to fix the injury caused. It was horrible and painful and took about half an hour, but it did the trick. ;) Yeah I get a lot of splinters...

7. Snorky
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:09:38

I'll probably just try to do that later. I remember I tried to do that the day it happened but I just ended up leaving it.

8. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:10:58

Snorky wrote: I'll probably just try to do that later. I remember I tried to do that the day it happened but I just ended up leaving it.
    If you take it out yourself, it will be horrible. Have someone in the room with you too! Just in case you pass out or something lame like that. You don't wanna be the kid who passed out, fell on a needle and then died... OH AND MAKE SURE YOU DISINFECT THE NEEDLE FIRST.

9. Snorky
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:13:31

Mats wrote: If you take it out yourself, it will be horrible. Have someone in the room with you too! Just in case you pass out or something lame like that. You don't wanna be the kid who passed out, fell on a needle and then died... OH AND MAKE SURE YOU DISINFECT THE NEEDLE FIRST.
    Oh thanks I almost forgot about that.

10. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:20:43

Third grade, I accidentally stabbed myself in the hand, no lead came out but i was marked. Still clearly visible and im in 9th grade now.

11. Snorky
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:28:03

I'm touching the lead now, but haven't gotten it out yet. Hurts less than I thought it would.

12. oljibe
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 00:00:58

got a piece in the back of my hand, got in there 4 years ago, dont think of it so often, a relative of mine also got some in his leg (dunno how that happened), and he had it there for about 30 years, so i guess it doesnt make much of a problem, mine is 3 mm away from a vein, so it gets a little obscured, but its rather visible if you're looking for it I'm not gonna bother with taking it out, tried while the wound was open, its just gonna be more difficult, as long as it doesnt give me any handicaps it doesnt matter...

13. Snorky
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 00:15:11

Don't bother, it probably won't even be there anymore. It just leaves a mark. Wish I knew that before there was a hole in my hand, but it's alright. I can live with a little black mark on my palm.

14. Bloodinator
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 00:25:41

@Snorky Get a disinfected needle, slowly poke into the lead making a small hole. ( SLOWLY... peel the skin on top of the lead with the needle. ) Get some fingernail clipper, use it like a tweeser (dont squeeze too hard) pull it out :D it should hurt :D unless its really deep

15. Snorky
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 00:28:37

That would have been the perfect plan, but there's nothing there, it's just discolored skin now<_<

16. Holypie
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 01:30:58

I had that happen to me too. It was bleeding a lot and stuff. I think I know where it is but I'm not sure =P.

17. Snorky
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 01:48:13

I feel bad for you, I hate having it. I don't know why it bothers me so much.

18. Holypie
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:04:23

Oh no, this was years ago. Like, many, many years. Anyway, is this a pencil lead related self injury thread? Hehe.

19. Snorky
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:13:38

Wasn't originally. But I guess that's what it turned into.

20. Mr.Squekers
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:37:20

On my middle finger on my right hand it got sliced open and like a couple days later i was making pens and got ink on it. now alittle of my finger is blue. <3

21. Dylan
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:45:25

`hey, i have the same thing, in the base of my index finger on my left hand, unfortunatly, it's not a piece of a pencil, you do know that graphite stains your flesh if you're stabbed right? sort of like a tatoo, yeah it's bothersome, but ive had it for 6 years, it's still stained.

22. Snorky
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 03:35:54

Yea I didn't realize it was stained so I tried to dig it out and now I have a small pointless hole in my hand. Makes it quite painful when I do palmspins.

23. juggalo666666
    Date: Wed, Feb 16 2011 18:18:39

i have two spots one's on muy elbow and one is on my forearm theres really no way to get it out after you remove the lead (carbon based substance) it stains your flesh and heals over.

24. akitaka
    Date: Sat, Feb 19 2011 23:55:24

yeah, the same thing happened to me 4-5 years ago. the hole healed up, but there's still a black spot in the center of my palm where the graphite was.

25. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Feb 20 2011 01:06:45

This might be kind of different but I remember when I was very little I think I marked my hand with a marker and the spot stayed there, and stayed there and now it's like a mole (except not really) but just a mark, and I never really thought anything of it. But maybe it's something psycohological? Like youre linking the incident with some mark you have... I'm pretty sure the brown dot on my palm isn't a stain, but from my memory it appears that way.

26. Explosion101
    Date: Sat, Apr 30 2011 21:46:03

It's out, the graphite is stained under your skin though

27. MonsterPandasEatTofu
    Date: Mon, May 2 2011 04:50:04

the hell, 4-5 years O__o the led is gone by now

28. Mufoofee
    Date: Mon, May 2 2011 05:03:34

I once had a splinter that was stuck inside my skin. It healed and it bothered me. So i took a nail clipper (cleaned it of course) and used it to rip my skin and push it out. you should try it. It doesn't hurt if you get the very thin part of it. Don't grab a lot of skin. Only a little little bit so it turns white when you pinch it.

29. Zleepy
    Date: Wed, May 11 2011 09:12:04

woah, 4-5 years?! you should've gotten it out right after... the longer it stays..the harder it is to get out/

30. Olji
    Date: Wed, May 11 2011 18:50:54

Ooooor you let it be and Yo hand iz pimped!!!1!!oneone!11!! (never bothered taking out mine) :3

31. Zleepy
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 06:01:50

Olji wrote: Ooooor you let it be and Yo hand iz pimped!!!1!!oneone!11!! (never bothered taking out mine) :3
    or that... ^

32. Fl0wingfire
    Date: Mon, May 16 2011 03:16:03

When I was in third grade, I stabbed myself in the upper thigh with a pencil ^_^ Doesn't look like there's lead in there anymore, but it's still stained

33. voigtz
    Date: Mon, Jun 13 2011 18:51:48

hahaha go to doctors

34. TerryAngX
    Date: Tue, Jun 5 2012 04:32:11

Dude lead is poisious , go to a doctor to have it out be4 u get lead poisoning

35. Froggy
    Date: Tue, Jun 5 2012 07:04:02

Just because we commonly refer it as lead, it's actually graphite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite and I dont think there's such thing as graphite poisoning....? Frog~

TerryAngX wrote: Dude lead is poisious , go to a doctor to have it out be4 u get lead poisoning

36. Alvaris
    Date: Tue, Jun 5 2012 12:30:18

so if we don't commonly refer to it as lead, it's not graphite? loljk but this thread is srsly old, no need to reply to it unless necessary

37. Kazuki
    Date: Wed, Jun 6 2012 04:59:50

Lol , I have 2 leads which is around 0.5cm on my arm. My friend stabbed me 6 months ago too. Until now, there is still 2 marks on my arm, I always think it is a mole =.= but nothing happens eventho my teacher said is poisonous. Its inside deeply.

38. Raptor
    Date: Tue, Jun 12 2012 01:15:47

I have two stabs in my hand because I keep spinning it. When I try to catch it i end up stabbing myself. Its not the lead my friend its just a mark of the pencil led.

39. Kcom2002
    Date: Thu, Jun 14 2012 12:48:49

i have one in my hand too from 5 years ago. right now its barely visible because so much skin has covered it up.

40. 888SpinR
    Date: Mon, Jun 25 2012 11:51:08

Relax! It's been so many years already. The chances are, it came off when you didn't notice it.

41. UkPSkU
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 01:04:22

Same thing happened to me, and I couldn't get it out by my self, went to the doctor, and they got it out using a small injection and a tiny incision into the palm and took it out with tweezers, a plaster was put over it and it healed up nicely go to the doctors, any get it removed @DangoodwinzIFP

42. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 01:13:51

You go to the doctor if you get a pencil lead stuck in your hand? :facepalm:

43. Alex
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 01:36:16

I got a blade, and cut the fuck out of my flesh. The running blood got rid of the lead for me.

44. UkPSkU
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 04:29:55

Mats wrote: You go to the doctor if you get a pencil lead stuck in your hand? :facepalm:
    I'm sorry have u got A problem with the way I care for my hand? :( @DangoodwinzIFP

45. utkarsh
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 11:07:19

Mats wrote: You go to the doctor if you get a pencil lead stuck in your hand? :facepalm:
    its necessary. it is poisonous and can cause paralysis in the region's muscles where it got stuck in.

46. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 11:57:25

utkarsh wrote: its necessary. it is poisonous and can cause paralysis in the region's muscles where it got stuck in.
    Pencil 'lead' is not made out of Lead you plonker. It's made from harmless Graphite, also known as Carbon, which your bloody body is made of!

47. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 12:52:34

utkarsh wrote: its necessary. it is poisonous and can cause paralysis in the region's muscles where it got stuck in.
    Just man up and cut it out yourself.

48. UkPSkU
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 18:33:02

Mats wrote: Just man up and cut it out yourself.
    I was at school were the hell I'm I going to get something sharp? @DangoodwinzIFP

49. utkarsh
    Date: Sun, Feb 10 2013 04:16:49

Mats;246835]Just man up and cut it out yourself.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=eurocracy wrote: Pencil 'lead' is not made out of Lead you plonker. It's made from harmless Graphite, also known as Carbon, which your bloody body is made of!
    lol guys.

50. PERSIST
    Date: Sun, Feb 10 2013 22:12:28

Better get it out quick, head to a doctor ASAP... before you hand shrivels up or something like that.

51. Pitbull001
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 04:43:39

I know it sounds bad but their are bacterial dangers to that I would cut it out . Sanitize your hands first and a needle. Then light the tip of needle on fire. This will make sure no germs enter your body, witch could lead to infections. Once you've done that ice the skin above it and go it shouldn't hurt to bad

52. Kemu
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 05:18:21

Pitbull001 wrote: I know it sounds bad but their are bacterial dangers to that I would cut it out . Sanitize your hands first and a needle. Then light the tip of needle on fire. This will make sure no germs enter your body, witch could lead to infections. Once you've done that ice the skin above it and go it shouldn't hurt to bad
    /necromancer lol jkjk if you read the OP, its been 4-5 years since it happened. if it didnt infect by now, it prolly wont ever

53. Walkaz
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 05:48:42

Pitbull001 wrote: I know it sounds bad but their are bacterial dangers to that I would cut it out . Sanitize your hands first and a needle. Then light the tip of needle on fire. This will make sure no germs enter your body, witch could lead to infections. Once you've done that ice the skin above it and go it shouldn't hurt to bad
    ofuck i have a pencil lead stuck on my left hand for 3years and counting :O IM GONNA DIE SOMEBODY SAVE ME

54. Gash
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 06:02:50

Lmfao, OP doesn't even come on UPSB anymore. People come and go.

55. [TGN]
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 07:24:34

Gash wrote: People come and go.
    like what i did to you last night

56. SiL
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 09:19:56

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070906233240AAYXwdy

57. Bax
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 16:22:51

Why did they stab you :O and why didn't you take it out earlier ?

58. JackyMacky
    Date: Wed, Dec 18 2013 19:02:26

Bax wrote: Why did they stab you :O and why didn't you take it out earlier ?
    Did you not read the above posts? Check the date stamped on the thread posted: 02-05-2011. The the OP's activity hasn't been since 03-09-2011 according to his profile page. You think he would reply now? Do you think the pencil lead is stuck in his hand for 2 more years? I strongly suggest you read the forum rules immediately with the section labeled [B]5. Do not revive old threads unnecessarily[/B]. Same goes to you @Pitbull001

59. Whirlpool
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 00:03:30

This is a topic anyone can talk about. I believe that not all thread follow the rule of reviving. For topics such as "first time posting" or something stupid like that I understand not to revive that but for topic such as lead stuck in hand if he would to make a new thread then some guy will come along can say "search before you post". I understand not to revive but if it a topic that it makes sense that you can revive. Use reason to understand reviving not going to follow everyone by saying "stop reviving"(not pointing at anyone here, just a message to all that read this). In theory: if this rule contunited all the thread about random will be made and if someone wanted to talk about it, if they "revived it". They'll have 10 people up there ass for reviving.

60. SiL
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 01:55:37

Stop Reviving

61. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 19:19:18

Whirlpool wrote: This is a topic anyone can talk about. I believe that not all thread follow the rule of reviving. For topics such as "first time posting" or something stupid like that I understand not to revive that but for topic such as lead stuck in hand if he would to make a new thread then some guy will come along can say "search before you post". I understand not to revive but if it a topic that it makes sense that you can revive. Use reason to understand reviving not going to follow everyone by saying "stop reviving"(not pointing at anyone here, just a message to all that read this). In theory: if this rule contunited all the thread about random will be made and if someone wanted to talk about it, if they "revived it". They'll have 10 people up there ass for reviving.
    Check the content of the revivers' posts. Pitbull's advice is similar to what Mats has replied to this thread about sanitation and needles. It is also in regards to time, expecting a member to read his reply after 2 years. http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=3838&p=60891&viewfull=1#post60891 http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=3838&p=60898&viewfull=1#post60898 Bax's post is a revival in regards to time as well, expecting a member who hasn't been on for the past 2 years to reply, which I have explained in my previous post. Idk, you decide whether or not this constitutes a revival. And there is a reason why the shoutbox exists.

62. Zen
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 05:14:15

I agree with JM. You really shouldn't do that. The question was already properly addressed and answered on a timely manner. He probably took it out by now because it has been two years. It's okay for the first time, the people are leinant, but this is not the first time (I believe). What you are saying is not very plausible. Wee already have main threads established that most users can post in. General modification questions, etc...... THESE are threads that can be and for the most part do not need to be revived because of wellbeing and popularity. If people just started threads all willy nilly we wouldn't have such a great forum now would we? @JackyMacky LOL you could have reported man. Regards Zen

63. Bax
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 08:31:49

I don't want to revive now i just want to say sorry for what i did :( Won't happen again from now on ... I did it because i saw its latest topic that was talked about and i wanted to join that was my first post here .. Sorry again