UPSB v4

Hand Care / Am I doomed? Fingers aren't working

1. boel
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 20:53:19

I started pen spinning few days ago so I am true beginner. I can do thumb around quite good already. I tried to do sonic but the problem is, I can't hold ~1cm thick pen between my ring and index finger, my fingers just wont move that way :( Also, when I bend my middle finger, I can't move my ring finger anymore, except bend it more. Is this normal? To see more clearly what I mean, in this video at the "Things you should try first"-part I can't do those. Is there something "wrong" in my hands or does it just take ALOT more practicing? Oh and I also noticed that my left hand "works fine", although I can't control it as well as right one since I'm right handed.

2. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 20:54:57

Yes. Actually for the sonic you don't actually hold it between the fingers until you're more advanced. Just let it swing around. if you really want to touch the together bend your middle finger and then extend the index and ring BEHIND the middle finger, most likely that's what your left hand is doing, this way they are "closer together" Its good that you understand how a charge works, now just practice "flipping" it up. :] Or try pushing it out rather than bending your middle figner, just push it out and then touch your index and middle behind the back, honestly jsut get the sonic down before you worry about that (imo) Since the pen actually travels at an angle your fingers dont really need to be completely sandwiched together for it to swivel.

3. neix
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 20:58:05

your retarded kid, we all started like that... its called practice.. everyone can get it with enough practice... just keep trying and stop whining.

4. boel
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:00:36

Uh, I know I wont learn all this in few weeks, or months. The point was, is it normal not to be able to hold anything between ring and index finger, I can't even get them to touch each other. The question was is this normal. I'm not whining

5. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:02:51

And the answer is you CAN touch them together.

6. JackyMacky
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:05:59

inflexibility with the fingers? all u need is more and more practice. sooner or later, ur fingers will become relaxed and flexible, spinning becomes smoother, and so on. it's the same thing as learning how to write: muscle memory.

7. boel
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:06:44

shoeman6 wrote: if you really want to touch the together bend your middle finger and then extend the index and ring BEHIND the middle finger, most likely that's what your left hand is doing, this way they are "closer together"
    Thanks for the tips, although I can't make them touch each other even this way. They sure get close but still no touch. When I extend them, it somehow hurts my hand and I have to stop or extend middle finger with them.

8. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:10:40

In any case, you don't actually need them to touch for the sonic. Your middle finger just leans forward slightly and the pen spins behind it.

9. AwonW
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:10:56

Try stretching your fingers to make them more flexible. Also, can you take a pic of you trying?

10. Mage In Black
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 21:11:21

That's natural, dude. Not everyone started off with super flexible fingers. It'll happen in time with a lot of practice.

11. Dylan
    Date: Sun, Dec 12 2010 03:01:35

really, I see what your asking, and YES it is PERFECTLY normal not to do that, most people can't, you will learn the trick relativly fast if you practice enough and after long enough, though you dont think so right now, you might even be able to touch your pinky and index finger together, it just takes time and a lot of patience, it's a matter of wether you have the patience to try and not ragequit over frustration lol.

12. fang
    Date: Sun, Dec 12 2010 14:33:15

maybe you have to take a look @ this: http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=412 try it, It helped me alot!

13. scout
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 03:16:14

See, it really sucks for me as well, when I was learning how to do the sonic, I couldn't touch both together either. What you're supposed to do is just have enough length so you can pass it from one finger to the other. You don't need them to touch, but if you want, you should hold them together and then just leave it for a while. It will hurt, but after a while it doesn't anymore.

14. kittylilycat
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 03:50:23

Yeah, when I try to do the sonic, my index/pointer finger just clamps against my middle... Anyways, just remember, everything takes practice. Eventually, your fingers will get used to it and then they'll have muscle memory or something.

15. Abstinence
    Date: Wed, Dec 22 2010 06:26:57

You don't need to worry about it not touching mannn. I know two people that can do sonic, but don't even clamp the pen between their ring and index - instead, it just kind of flies over.

16. Remorse
    Date: Wed, Dec 22 2010 17:43:12

Keep Practicing, do stretches, Like Neix said, we all started that way.. You're fine haha ;)

17. iBlameLag
    Date: Sun, Dec 26 2010 07:15:19

Hmph. I'm a nooby penspinner (4 monther) and I've just started practicing the side sonic and sonic clip. Small fingers, can't do it. Middle finger can't bend down. Ye...help...?

18. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Dec 26 2010 07:35:16

You can learn it incorrectly (bring your pinky back) that may help, or even just tape your pinky to your ring finger so it doesnt get in the way and you dont ahve to worry about it, and try to push your middle finger forward AS you bend, so you can touch the two kind of behind the knuckle. You'll get it after some practice. If it hurts at first take a break for the day and try again when your fingers are less cramped. As for the 42 sonic clip, this one should be easy... if nt you may have to work hard or do it differently, since your middle finger is so much longer try pushing that down instead of pulling your pinky up. Side almost never easy, practice the transfer and slowly get the conic motion.

19. J74Q
    Date: Sat, Mar 12 2011 15:24:20

PRACTICE!!!!!

20. Cloud
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 06:24:55

@J74Q the thread is like 3 months old... no one really needs to hear you say "PRACTICE!!!!!" SERIOUSLY! Rule 5. Do not revive old threads unnecessarily

21. J74Q
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 07:42:32

O.o i was browsing thru it lol sry

22. voigtz
    Date: Mon, Jun 13 2011 19:00:43

stretch alot