UPSB v4

Hand Care / inflexible ring finger?

1. REVERSAL
    Date: Sat, Sep 11 2010 13:57:27

i'm trying to learn bakrise, but my ring finger won't separate from my pinky/middle finger (vertically) on its own. There isn't much room for the pen, and it frequently gets caught 2-3 instead of 3-4 like ringbak is intended. is there any way to improve flexibility in this area? any help would be appreciated.

2. KTrinh93
    Date: Sat, Sep 11 2010 16:06:22

Try doing this exercise every day or multiple times a day. Place all of you fingers straight out and put your hand flat on a desk top or table. Then, fold your middle finger under your hand so that the top 2nd section of your middle finger is flat against the table. Your hand will arch a little bit but this is normal. Now, try lifting up your ring finger. Not possible? Well it is, you just need to keep practicing it and stretching your muscles. If you ever noticed, the reason why it hurts or is impossible to move your ring finger independently, it's because the muscle behind your middle finger is really tight. You need to loosen it and this is how you can do it. Of course, there are other ways, but this is the way I stretch my ring finger out for independence and flexibility. This is a video (albeit not mine) of what it looks like. The last part is really hard but you can try it if you want to. [video=youtube;sJ_VqGIlP8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_VqGIlP8Y[/video]

3. Alvaris
    Date: Sun, Sep 12 2010 13:26:02

So all it takes to do it like fire@fox does..is just try to lift the ring finger up without aid from the other hand or anything?

4. Jacob8185
    Date: Wed, Mar 9 2011 04:19:16

@KTrinh93 How long will it take you? Like, for instance, if you practice once or twice every day, then how long will it take you so that the ring finger is flexible enough?

5. KTrinh93
    Date: Wed, Mar 9 2011 04:22:37

There technically is no indication of when your finger is "flexible enough." You really don't need to make your ring finger anymore flexible to do a ring bak if you're just starting out.

6. Elune
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 05:57:07

Errr ... sorry but how long did it take you to do the last part of the vid ? Split 2 ring fingers ? Wow amazing >.<

7. JackyMacky
    Date: Sun, Apr 3 2011 00:22:01

WTH?! @video. I can do a complete backfall but I can't do this! *jawdrop*

8. Elune
    Date: Sun, Apr 3 2011 08:52:55

in my class, I have 3 friends who can do this without practice ... and 2 of them don't even know what Sonic is :|

9. Sc00t
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 06:44:19

ringbak yes but i find doing ringaround is more pinky based than ring finger based.. [at least when performed palm-sideways like the vid in my signature]

10. Elune
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 10:57:36

Well, could ANYONE tell me how long did it take you to split your ring fingers ? (Of course if you could)