UPSB v4

Hand Care / Aching Knuckles :(

1. MPC
    Date: Thu, Mar 20 2014 08:01:40

Hey guys. Bad news from me - I've had to to suspend all my pen spinning activities because I've developed a persistent ache in all four knuckles of my spinning hand (right). Has anyone else had this? Should I be worried? mpc

2. ShadowParadox
    Date: Thu, Mar 20 2014 17:27:29

sorry to hear that. no i havent had any pains in my hand(and i spin busters) u shouldnt be too worried unless you still get it when you arent spinning, then go and see a doctor or something. hope it gets better so u can keep on spinning

3. Dern Goid
    Date: Thu, Mar 20 2014 20:10:39

Yeah, you should get that checked if it is grave. But overall I don't think It should be a big problem :)

4. Zen
    Date: Thu, Mar 20 2014 20:41:51

What type of pain is it? If it is constant even if you are not spinning or are, it could be bad. I say get some online medical help before going to the doctor's. It could be just a coincidental ache or it could be something severe. I recommend that you check out mayoclinic.com and maybe google your symptoms. If it is chronic then get some medical attention. All in all do not strain your hand in anyway, for the rest of the time being. Put some ice to numb the pain. Sorry i couldn't help more.

5. MPC
    Date: Fri, Mar 21 2014 07:42:37

Thanks guys. I've stopped spinning for the last 5 days and there's no improvement, so I think it's probably not the cause. It's a dull ache that is triggered but certain movements, like there is bad bruising. Oh well, I guess I'll get in some practice with my left hand. :D mpc.

6. Dern Goid
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 15:37:40

Hm, if the pain is still there, then you should probably get it checked! :)

7. Monk
    Date: Mon, Mar 24 2014 23:43:58

@mpc2014 On a scale of 1 - 10, how painful is it?

8. Zen
    Date: Tue, Mar 25 2014 00:37:38

What is the scale? What is 10? How painful is that? How painful is 1? This won't help you figure out anything. Also the thing we are trying to figure out is how it happened and why. Fix your scale please.

9. Monk
    Date: Tue, Mar 25 2014 01:23:55

@Zen If we figure out how painful it is, then we can consider whether or not it is serious. Also,

10. Zen
    Date: Tue, Mar 25 2014 21:04:31

Ah my bad, it seems like i misjudged the question at the time. Sorry, you are right @Monk On Topic: You should really get some medical attention if it is constant. It is probably not due to spinning though

11. Vedyl
    Date: Tue, Mar 25 2014 22:35:58

Aww, sorry to hear mpc. I hope its nothing serious and you go back to spinning soon. ^_^

12. Laugh
    Date: Wed, Mar 26 2014 03:48:24

@mpc2014 How much stress have you been under? Maybe you've been subconsciously clenching your fist.

13. MPC
    Date: Thu, Mar 27 2014 21:45:44

Hey guys, thanks for quelling my worries on that one - I think I have solved the mystery. The most recent community I've been getting to know is a Minecraft server for autistic kids. So I'd been playing Minecraft for hours at a time using my MacBook trackpad. I looked online and found tonnes of people who have managed to give themselves repetitive strain injuries (RSI) by playing Minecraft on a trackpad. (durr!) I'm done with that now though and it feels a lot better. Back to spinning! Hoorah! ps - the pain question is an interesting one. With it being a purely subjective and experiential sensation, how can we ever know that we feel pain in the same ways or the same severity? As a society, we base some of our most fundamental ethical frameworks around the concept of pain and suffering, without ever being able to establish how much variation there is between individuals. Last summer, I had the joy being admitted to hospital with my testicular nerves infected by shingles, during which the doctors recorded me as having experienced 'a ten' on the pain scale (fainting, vomiting, etc.). If that really was a ten, then the knuckle aching was a mere 3.5 and once I'd realised that pen spinning was not the cause, it actually seemed to help limber up my hands and reduce the discomfort. Conclusion: pen spinning has some kind of crazy healing jesus-ness. :) mpc