UPSB v4

Hand Care / Cortisone Injections

1. Crouton
    Date: Sat, Jun 1 2013 10:30:58

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone else here had ever used cortisone steroid injections for hand pain? I personally do a lot of things that are bad for my hands and wrists. I play a lot of video games, spend a lot of time on the computer, draw a lot and for long hours, and do things like spin pens and ride tech decks. As you can probably guess, all of these are not a good combination for the wrist. In the past my hands have gotten so bad that my doctor prescribed injections of cortisone into the tendons in my wrist under ultrasound. It hurt like hell but really helped. I think I will need another lot of it soon, as my wrists have gotten really bad again lately.

2. Mystic
    Date: Sat, Jun 1 2013 14:54:28

I havent but i almost needed one for my shoulder. A shot only helps if you rest your hand as well. You gotta quit doing activities that hurt your hand for a couple weeks. And afterwards, definitely cut back on those activities a bit.

3. Crouton
    Date: Sun, Jun 2 2013 01:05:12

Yeah I did cut back a bit, although I still had to do a lot of writing during that time so I'm not sure if it made it worse again or not.

4. shoeman
    Date: Thu, Jun 6 2013 17:05:54

Never used such a shot so my comment is a bit off-topic bu oh well. From my experience usually 1 of the hands hurt more than the other due to asymmetrical use. So for example while my right hand is hurting, I will put it in a hand brace/wrap and use my left instead, for example for using the computer mouse or basically the normal everyday stuff, or decide to train with my other hand (doesn't make sense for drawing or a lot of other stuff though). Knowing to take a rest when you feel pain is important. Also I recommend creating a warm up routine to use before any of the activities you describe.

5. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Jun 7 2013 01:41:44

Wow, I have really bad hand problems, (inflamation of joints), almost consistently if I practice too much. If it gets any worse I might really consider seeing if this is a possibility. Would they have to inject every finger, would they do injections in the hand? o.0

6. Crouton
    Date: Fri, Jun 7 2013 05:46:18

shoeman6 wrote: Wow, I have really bad hand problems, (inflamation of joints), almost consistently if I practice too much. If it gets any worse I might really consider seeing if this is a possibility. Would they have to inject every finger, would they do injections in the hand? o.0
    My injections were in one place, and it was on top of the arm, just behind the wrist, as most of my problems stem from the wrist. I don't know if they do individual finger ones.

7. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Jun 7 2013 12:52:26

I wonder how much they would help me, I cant really practice contact juggling at all with my right hand. Whenever I do my hand is basically un-usable the next day. I think it might be due to pressure on my wrists...

8. [4-OH-4]
    Date: Thu, Jun 20 2013 05:52:56

@Crouton...youre gonna need to take a lot of care for your hands...

9. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Wed, Jun 26 2013 17:16:02

cortisone jabs are steroid hormones.. dont rely too much on that. on a side note have you considered trying massage and acupuncture as a form of treatment? Sometimes going drug free might actually be better for you. and make sure you avoid spinning heavy pens for now

10. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Jun 26 2013 18:32:28

SPRiNGFiELD wrote: cortisone jabs are steroid hormones.. dont rely too much on that. on a side note have you considered trying massage and acupuncture as a form of treatment? Sometimes going drug free might actually be better for you. and make sure you avoid spinning heavy pens for now
    Just as an aside, I hope you realize besides the therapeutic benefit of massage and acupuncture, it doesn't actually physiologically improve the problem.

11. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Jun 26 2013 20:35:30

SPRiNGFiELD wrote: cortisone jabs are steroid hormones.. dont rely too much on that. on a side note have you considered trying massage and acupuncture as a form of treatment? Sometimes going drug free might actually be better for you. and make sure you avoid spinning heavy pens for now
    Massage, acupuncture, light mods. All BS.

12. Vassenato
    Date: Fri, Jun 28 2013 04:15:11

:facepalm: