UPSB v4

Hand Care / Resting and Practicing time

1. wings
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 08:12:42

Tell me how long do you rest your hand after practice, do you rest for the whole day? and your practice time, do you practice till your hand feel tired? @.@ pros should answer this I really wanna know.

2. Dimension
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 08:35:12

I'm definitely not pro lol I've only been spinning for 8 months... I don't really rest my hands on the rare occasion that one of them gets sore I work on my other hand :)

3. ghostlyPopsicle
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 08:51:26

I'm not a pro, but I'm careful to let my hands rest for a longer period of time than my time spent practicing. But I sometimes get motivated and practice for a few hours, only letting my hands rest by stretching them.

4. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 08:53:03

I never rest my hands.

5. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 09:45:06

After seeing this thread, I just realised that I have never set down to practice anything for a very long time :o... I need to get back to it ><' For me the I never rest at all when I spin or practice. For me, I'll be spinning casually virtually everywhere I go so that isn't tiring. When I practice, it's just to test out all the new concepts tricks and all that stuff so it's not particularly straining on the hands so I can go on 'til I get bored or need to do something else. If something gets' too tiring after doing it many times, like a trick that requires a lot of shoulder movements, then I just stop doing that trick, try something else and go back to the first trick when my arm isn't so tired. I do take a lot of breaks while filming a combo. I rarely practice on my filming desk so whenever I have a combo planned out, I'll still need to get used to that particular area of spinning and be concious of where is off camera. This puts a lot of restraints on your hands and usually, it would tire out my arms and hands a lot in that position. Because of that, I do have a lot of intervals while filming. Usually it's 1-2 hours of filming and break for however long I feel I need it which can range from 5 minutes to 1 hour. However, even during my breaks, I'm still spinning whether it's just random spams or practising certain segments of the combo in a more comfortable position. Now that I think about it, there is a co-relation to how repetitive the practice is and how tiring the practice is. Usually if you just wanna' test out linkages in different ways or learn 1 linkage, it won't require that much repetition when you spin so you won't feel that fatigued but if your training entails things like practising a combo over and over again or a segment of a combo, it'll definitely make you feel more tired. I don't ever practice power tricking but I'm pretty sure it is very prominent if you are practising this.

6. Reason
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 11:42:42

im constantly spinning whenever i can at school. certain periods i know not to though. quite often during all of my study halls and lunch i penspin the entire time. i seriously practice so much its ridiculous, but i almost never need rest. the only time i need rest is usually after i have been practicing in order to film something and i am about to film. but i do that mostly to relax my hands while im filming. but that includes soaking my hand and a light hand massage. i think my fingers have built up alot of strength in the past because i practiced so much.

7. ghostlyPopsicle
    Date: Sat, May 5 2012 12:50:59

@Reason I practice a lot at school too~ Like, almost non-stop. I get bored and sleepy at school if I don't. The teacher doesn't seem to mind as long as I listen and don't drop the pen too much. I hardly practice during long breaks, though (like now).

8. Haste
    Date: Fri, May 18 2012 12:26:49

Sigh... My hands dont rest. Specially with the ppl here that are always giving me errands after an errand

9. Gash
    Date: Sat, May 19 2012 12:49:19

At school I spin my MX during almost every single subject, mindless practice though so I don't really improve much from it. At home, I spin around 20 mins - 1 hour? But that's not really productive either sighh T_T

10. wings
    Date: Sat, May 19 2012 21:36:14

@.@ this is a silly thread, maybe most pros right now are the ones who learn quickly(talented with their fingers) :3 anyways thanks for the answers

11. Awesome
    Date: Sat, May 19 2012 21:41:08

The ones that learn quickly are ones who spin the longest and/or concentrate on their spinning the most. Time + effort = talent in pretty much any field.

wings wrote: @.@ this is a silly thread, maybe most pros right now are the ones who learn quickly(talented with their fingers) :3 anyways thanks for the answers

12. wings
    Date: Sat, May 19 2012 21:53:10

Awesome wrote: The ones that learn quickly are ones who spin the longest and/or concentrate on their spinning the most. Time + effort = talent in pretty much any field.
    i see, mind to get pros to answer this thread? everyone knows who they are lol

13. Kyoflow
    Date: Sun, May 20 2012 08:47:39

im not sure why you're so set on having a "pro" answer. some of them may practice for hours and hours with no break just cause its fun and they dont get tired. others may need to practice alot in short bursts cause of fatigue. and some may be talented enough to only practice for 15 minutes a day and keep up their skills. it really depends on your hands and how you learn

14. i.suk
    Date: Sun, May 20 2012 10:15:40

wings wrote: Tell me how long do you rest your hand after practice, do you rest for the whole day? and your practice time, do you practice till your hand feel tired? @.@ pros should answer this I really wanna know.
    my shoulders get tired sometimes when filming for long periods, but my hand itself doesn't tire much (muscles might get stiff if i spam too much of the same cont though) =\ i practice whenever i feel like it :) and i stop practicing that trick/linkage etc when i don't feel like practicing it, then i might spin a different mod (like pencil/mx instead of buster), which gives a refreshing feeling...i might get 'bored' of spinning on a given day, but i don't stop out of tiredness

15. Wobster
    Date: Sun, May 20 2012 10:37:19

Can't delete this post for some reason. :/

16. Walkaz
    Date: Tue, May 22 2012 15:01:53

i dont spin that much,max is an hour or two well for recording i take the same amount of time,or even days,which helped me improve a lot fingers will definitely get tired after failing and failing fire@fox's style combo (ーー;)

17. wings
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 11:38:11

Kyoflow wrote: im not sure why you're so set on having a "pro" answer.
    why? got a problem with that? XD just kidding, the reason why is bec. most of the time they are not answering, kinda like a pro logic where they don't share stuff :3

18. Accuru
    Date: Mon, Jul 30 2012 23:01:54

i ussauly am trying to learn new things so therefore i look at videos like 3 of them and i practice 10 min straight then take a 3 video break and go agian until i have other plans

19. Big Yoyo
    Date: Thu, Aug 2 2012 03:29:19

Right now i just spin whenever it is convenient. I cant wait for school to start as that will give me lots more time to practice.

20. ...
    Date: Thu, Aug 2 2012 08:39:51

when teachers are talking are normally a good time... as you can spin but also rest :D

21. Boxxy
    Date: Sun, Aug 5 2012 00:26:22

Theres such thing as a rest time? Why would someone want such a thing it is horrible screw that I only have practice time you guise are fucking insane

22. n00bSpinner
    Date: Sun, Aug 5 2012 11:39:26

I never rest my hand. I just stop when I'm bored or when my hands are cold and I can't do tricks properly

23. agillitrhiz
    Date: Tue, Aug 7 2012 11:51:25

1/2 h is fine.u dun need to rest like de whole day

24. knightling29
    Date: Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:34:58

i remembered learning bakfall for 4 hours straight and then all of a sudden my hand stopped working like the way it should...i couldnt even do a single thumbaround (so sad)... then i rested for a day and i could spin again so i personally tink that its important to rest ur hands

25. agillitrhiz
    Date: Thu, Aug 16 2012 09:20:25

@knightling29.cool...so if u learn a hai tua for 4 hrs straight,you'll break ur hand?

26. knightling29
    Date: Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:03:53

agillitrhiz wrote: @knightling29.cool...so if u learn a hai tua for 4 hrs straight,you'll break ur hand?
    -.- what i am trying to say here is dun spin for too long.... rest occasionally sometimes....btw i learnt haitua in 1 hour lol

27. Chu-Yung
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 03:19:46

I usually rest after I pull a muscle in my hand.