UPSB v4

General Discussion / What makes a famous or notable pen spinner?

1. Mats
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 18:20:24

These are the current wiki categories: Famous pen spinners: http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Famous_pen_spinners Notable pen spinners: http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Notable_pen_spinners I am going to throw this out there, but let's discuss this and agree and then the wiki can be updated appropriately. A famous pen spinner Is someone who most pen spinners should (or is likely to) know the name of. They could be for example: -A World Tournament winner (e.g. s777) -Someone who has done very well in multiple tournaments (e.g. appearing in quarter finals or better of multiple World Cup/Tournaments for example, Erirornal Kraione) -Someone who has contributed greatly to pen spinning (e.g. Zombo) -Someone who is one of the best in the world (who does not necessarily compete in World events). I can't think of an example, but people like this may and if not yet, will, exist. -Someone who invented loads of tricks. A Notable pen spinner Someone who has done less than a famous spinner, but significantly more than your average pen spinner. -Someone who performed well in one World Cup/Tournament (e.g. Banz) -Someone who performed fairly well in multiple World Cups/Tournaments (e.g. Baaron) -Someone who has contributed quite a lot to the pen spinning community (can't think of an example of the top of my head). -Someone who invented several tricks -Someone who invents lots of good mods What do you guys think?

2. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 18:53:13

I think 'famous' can be anything he/she did to become well known. Heck, even :sfsr: can fit into this category for contributing to a meme. 'Famous' is also suitable for penspinners whose Youtube are well known for whatever reason (Eriror-spinning, KTrinh, Eso-tutorials, TEK-vlogs). But 'notable' has a slightly different meaning in my opinion. A 'notable' penspinner is worth mentioning because of the impact they created in the history of penspinning, for example a famous pen mod (RSVP MX-kam), or a style pioneer (power-Spinnerpeem). In conclusion, a 'famous' penspinner is well known even outside of penspinning for doing something exceeding average expectations (repeatedly) and a 'notable' penspinner is probably not known by non spinners but they have important contributions to penspinning all the same. That's my two cents, I hope I helped.

3. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 20:12:11

I disagree Krypton, Ktrinh may have lots of tutorials but he's not on the level of Minwoo, SpinnerPeem, s777 who are famous in pen spinning and known for their skill. He'd be notable instead. Also, a lot of spinners that are 'famous' on the wiki have been on TV, that is quite a large feat. Spinnerpeem needs moving to "Famous", he's won two world cups (Or was it one, I can't find the result on the 2010 one) as well as popularizing powertricks and then you have the Hai Tua, Peemspin and Pun New tricks.

4. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 20:38:13

famous spinner = someone whos popular cuz of their spinning notable spinner = someone whos popular cuz of their contribution to penspinning eg: famous spinner = seven, s777, kin... notable spinner = kam, zombo, penwish... famous AND notable spinner = spinnerpeem, bonkura, snow... Frog~

5. padrace
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 22:36:26

supawit needs to be FAMOUS with all his psing accomplishments and like a billion tv appearances

6. King
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 23:02:31

Quantitative and/or Quality contributions to the penspinning community -> Notable Like Ktrinh, his videos will forever help the beginners, but his spinning is not world caliber. Large INFLUENCE in the community -> Famous Like Spinnerpeem, advances in new era-type spinning.

7. Elune
    Date: Sat, Feb 18 2012 05:59:45

also, a penspinner is notable when he participates several international collabs in a short time xD

8. Yamaguchi
    Date: Sat, Feb 18 2012 09:33:47

go die, you'll get famous

9. jet
    Date: Thu, Feb 23 2012 06:38:07

King wrote: Quantitative and/or Quality contributions to the penspinning community -> Notable Like Ktrinh, his videos will forever help the beginners, but his spinning is not world caliber. Large INFLUENCE in the community -> Famous Like Spinnerpeem, advances in new era-type spinning.
    ^ This.

10. mhig
    Date: Wed, Feb 29 2012 08:16:49

Wouldn't a famous pen spinner have the qualities of a notable pen spinner but on a bigger scale?

11. YUi
    Date: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:52:51

As people have said, Notable spinners are noted for important things such as tutorials, and contributions such as coining new and very popularised tricks. For example, i remember tutorials from ktrinh and i always watched them last time (: But a famous spinner is probably remembered for something else such as style, spinning, and appearances in wc,wt or international collabs such as supawit who has always ranked in the popular and follwed WT each year (;