UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / Swivel

1. Eso
    Date: Thu, Jun 10 2010 04:09:01

A Swivel is a trick that starts held in the palm with one end sticking out from the pinky. Effectively, the path of the pen is exactly the same as a Sonic. A Swivel can be thought of as a Sonic 54-12, but there is no 6th finger, so the palm holding the pen will act as the imaginary finger giving the force necessary to push the pen up the hand. The force needed is done by a wrist/arm motion. The Swivel can travel to any slot. The Naming Committee has not yet decided on an official name for this trick yet. Slow-mo video by Vicgotgame Video tutorial by KTrinh93

2. matthewgame
    Date: Thu, Jun 24 2010 12:56:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wpo7EaEYmE btw.......bad tutorial

3. Lindor
    Date: Thu, Jun 24 2010 16:29:18

What you described is pinkyswivel P-12. There is a lot of different swivel. But well, usually, swivel means what you described. Here is the video i first made about it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI19-gmxHiM I created these names to help people to give a name to all these tricks using a rotation of the hand, and i submitted it to the NC long time ago, but i do not really want it to be official. Those tricks can all be breakdowned as sonic (sonic P-12...) or arounds. An official name is not needed. As i said, the name swivel is just here to help people talking about those special tricks. And it is also because : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s2ur8mVE-I Look bonkura's tricks at 00:34 to 00:37; it CAN be breakdowned as an hybrid of sonics, but it is really not easy to see it as sonics. Seing it as a swivel helps to understand how it works. To sum up, official name is not needed, but if people keep on using the name swivel, it is because it helps.

4. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 04:13:50

There are many tricks i PSing that have and official name but has not and will not be approved because the entire PS community have grown accustomed to that name. Hence changing the name would just confuse everyone. Swivels, as Lindor said, are sonics that starts from the palm area and ends on any slot above the palm. Based on popular culture, a normal swivel is a swivel P4-12 and the easiest way to execute it is by doing a TA ~ palmspin ~ Swivel The swivel can be done continuously as well. There are 2 ways to link the swivels together. 1. do a swivel P4-12 and let the pen rest on T as well let it transfer the pen to TF and then to TP. This puts the pen in the same position as the beginning of the swivel. (Cont. Swivel P4-12-TF-P4) 2. Do a swivel but don't catch it in any slot above the pen. Turn your hand vertically and let the pen slide down, catch it at P4 and turn your hand palm down to do the next swivel (Cont. Swivel P4-p4) Watch my finisher of this video to see the different ways to link the swivel (not a cheap publicity stunt): [video=youtube;v2n0k1lViRs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2n0k1lViRs[/video] @ Lindor, Some of the things you showed in the video is wrong. The 3rd and 4th mini-combo is more of a handaround than a Swivel. The pinkyswivel normal can be broken down to tw. sonic ~ IPBA rev. (palm down -> palm up) 12-12. The pinkyswivel rev. can be broken down to handaround~ pinkybak.

5. Lindor
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 11:59:20

Yeah, i forgot to mention that some tricks are wrong in the video. "moonwalk" swivels are not exactly like that. Btw, it's an old video =)

6. KTrinh93
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 11:46:54

My Swivel Tutorial [video=youtube;OgOXfnCBj4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgOXfnCBj4k[/video]

7. Biji
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 13:02:28

Say Ktrinh... what's written on your shirt? :O

8. Eruption
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 11:11:36

I can do a swivel is just that I dont know how to lead into it in a combo. I can't do palmspins because my fingers can't bend straight getting in the of the pen. So u guys have any other ideas?

9. entertdr
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 12:11:19

wiper revs, scissor spins

10. browndog12
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 12:38:07

pinkyaround > catch, scissor spins, pinkyskip arounds, etc

11. MickChickenn
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 13:51:43

Its basically a reverse twisted cobra bite. So, use it after grabs, just about any pinky trick, and after handaround. Also, watch thebloodgod's first solo. He uses alot o food swivels.

12. Quake
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 15:06:47

Figure 8 into swivel? works for me.

13. DArKT
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 17:03:40

Wow...lot's of Ways.... Inv Shadow's,ThumbSpin's,Cobra bite...

14. Dris
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 19:54:17

I just do a thumbaround into it...

15. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 20:14:01

first few seconds ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKViCqqNEeg s777 infinity to swivel... good luck! my own mini linkage. :D

16. Dris
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 20:36:57

^ I do that now. =D

17. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 20:48:35

Dris wrote: ^ I do that now. =D
    wah? you do swivel? or you do the one that in the vid i posted?

18. Dris
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 20:51:54

GeeGeeGee wrote: wah? you do swivel? or you do the one that in the vid i posted?
    As if I could do what you posted. The swivel of course.

19. Iota
    Date: Wed, Sep 21 2011 21:59:01

well first of all, learn to build flexibility so you CAN do palmspins, even just for .5 revs. a TA>palmspin .5 > swivel, or that but starting with FLTA, is the easiest/nicest way to get into a swivel in a combo, and have the swivel come out really clean-looking and smooth. Otherwise, I'd recommend some of these a few of which I picked up from Littleboy: Scissor spin > swivel (and you can do this cont. if you like and can start to make it actually smooth) swivel P-B ~ palmspin B-P ~ swivel P-B ~ Symmetrical bak B-TF inverse shadow revs. > swivel spiderspin (you can do it devil's conversion style or the classic way out of a TA) ~ swivel Hai tua ~ swivel (interrupted at the only logical place, right after/in middle of the "handaround" portion) Charge 34 (palm down) > FL Pinkyaround 34-P (palm up, you twist your palm during/just before it to get the FL momentum from the charge) > swivel any other pinkyaround variant, done into the palm instead of starting slot, then into a swivel any linkages or tricks with your offhand that spin in the direction your mainhand swivel would go in, and just do/interrupt them into some form of transfer into a mainhand palmspin .5 > swivel or just directly into a swivel if you can't palmspin. Other stuff, you can kinda feel out once you get a good idea of executing the swivel by itself in many different ways easily. Good luck ^^

20. RicLu98
    Date: Thu, Sep 22 2011 02:31:38

figure 8 works great

21. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Sep 22 2011 06:15:47

Dragonaround?

22. Eruption
    Date: Thu, Sep 22 2011 06:18:20

Thx guys I knew how to do this trick for a long time but never bothered to put it in a combo thx guys again

23. aramos13
    Date: Sat, Sep 24 2011 21:29:07

Swivel> shadow

24. spenpinner
    Date: Tue, Oct 30 2012 05:19:25

felt like this thread needed updating: what is a swivel? Its actually just a name for a variant of a sonic that involves bringing the pen from the palm area to any slot above the palm. It is an unofficial name and will probably never become official. The starting finger slot can be any finger that is folded over the palm keeping the pen in place horizontally between the finger and palm, at the start it has to do a .5 palm down around to get to the top of the hand and is interrupted a fingerless sonic. So by law of interruptions a swivel is actually notated as "PD _____-around PX-fl ~> sonic fl-YZ" (X being the finger it does a .5 rotation around, and YZ being the ending finger slot) (the PD-around does not have to rotate outside of the hand like the classic swivel). This is the main reason that it will never be an official trick because it is a hybrid. Now as you may, or may not know the swivel isn't just bound to one variant. Just like sonics and arounds there are many variations. The reverse of it is can be notated as 'reverse sonic XY-fl ~> reverse PD _____-around fl-PZ'. There is also a mirrored variant which can be notated as 'reverse PD ______-around PX-fl ~> reverse sonic fl-YZ' (and its reverse/inverse). The inverse variant can only be done fingerless (as well as palm up to get the sonic rotation) considering that your fingers would have to bend back in order to hold the pen. It is used in Bonkura's twisted cobra bite: 'reverse PD ______-around fl-fl ~> inverse sonic fl-YZ' (note: inverse reverse is possible but is almost never used). Also, because it involves a sonic there is also a moonwalk variation: '______-bak PX-fl ~> moonwalk sonic fl-XY' (note: reverse, inverse, and inverse reverse are currently theoretical). One more thing about swivels. A common misconception is that the .5 palm down-around itself is considered a swivel, but because it involves no form of a sonic it would just stay as a .5 PD-around. Example; pseudo swivel which is actually just .5 pinkybak P4-fl ~> inverse reverse .5 palm down pinky-around fl-P4. Now go and experiment with your swivels!

25. Voracity
    Date: Wed, Oct 31 2012 00:51:48

spenpinner wrote: felt like this thread needed updating: what is a swivel? Its actually just a name for a variant of a sonic that involves bringing the pen from the palm area to any slot above the palm. It is an unofficial name and will probably never become official. The starting finger slot can be any finger that is folded over the palm keeping the pen in place horizontally between the finger and palm, at the start it has to do a .5 palm down around to get to the top of the hand and is interrupted a fingerless sonic. So by law of interruptions a swivel is actually notated as "PD _____-around PX-fl ~> sonic fl-YZ" (X being the finger it does a .5 rotation around, and YZ being the ending finger slot) (the PD-around does not have to rotate outside of the hand like the classic swivel). This is the main reason that it will never be an official trick because it is a hybrid. Now as you may, or may not know the swivel isn't just bound to one variant. Just like sonics and arounds there are many variations. The reverse of it is known as a cobra bite which can be notated as 'reverse sonic PX-fl ~> reverse PD _____-around fl-YZ'. There is also a mirrored variant which can be notated as 'reverse PD ______-around PX-fl ~> reverse sonic fl-YZ' (and its reverse/inverse). The inverse variant can only be done fingerless (as well as palm up to get the sonic rotation) considering that your fingers would have to bend back in order to hold the pen. It is used in Bonkura's twisted cobra bite: 'reverse PD ______-around fl-fl ~> inverse sonic fl-YZ' (note: inverse reverse is possible but is almost never used). Also, because it involves a sonic there is also a moonwalk variation: '______-bak PX-fl ~> moonwalk sonic fl-XY' (note: reverse, inverse, and inverse reverse are currently theoretical). Now go and experiment with your swivels!
    Wow what a detailed explanation! I learned sth new. Good job!

26. spenpinner
    Date: Wed, Oct 31 2012 02:38:55

@Chocolate Cream, Thank you! ^^ I'm glad you did because I actually put in a lot of time and effort in making this.

27. Voracity
    Date: Wed, Oct 31 2012 06:54:13

spenpinner wrote: @Chocolate Cream, Thank you! ^^ I'm glad you did because I actually put in a lot of time and effort in making this.
    I can tell you put in lots of effort in this:)

28. Joiemoie
    Date: Thu, Nov 1 2012 20:40:08

I never feel like this is a variant of a sonic.

29. agillitrhiz
    Date: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:20:23

agree with @Joiemoie. doesn't look like a variant of sonic to me.i just think its a twisted cobra done reverse.

30. spenpinner
    Date: Fri, Nov 2 2012 15:16:48

agillitrhiz wrote: agree with @Joiemoie. doesn't look like a variant of sonic to me.i just think its a twisted cobra done reverse.
    As I explained in the description above, it's a HYBRID of an around that starts in the palm area and is INTERRUPTED by a FINGERLESS sonic and the cobra bite is the REVERSE of that. Please, read the whole post before commenting. Thank you. EDIT: sorry, misunderstood

31. Joiemoie
    Date: Fri, Nov 2 2012 19:05:39

What I meant by my post was that even though it was an around interrupted to a sonic, I wouldn't try thinking about it that way if I wanted to learn it. I'd just try thinking of it as it's own trick when learning, but maybe understand the breakdown to know where the pen goes at least. I personally can't do the twisted cobra bite yet.

32. spenpinner
    Date: Fri, Nov 2 2012 20:22:52

Ah. Understandable. The post is only for reference, though.

33. FingerNotPen
    Date: Sat, Dec 1 2012 16:01:22

does not look easy :/

34. 20%
    Date: Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:13:45

Question, is it ideal to learn twisted cobra bite, THEN swivel?