UPSB v4

General Discussion / Why don't alot of pen spinning tutorials ever explain?

1. Joiemoie
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 00:57:22

The only person I have watched so far that actually explains the move and breaks it down and gives advice is Ktrinh93 and some others who have subtitles in their videos. I also see some tutorials in other languages. But other than that, it's just slow-mos and people wanting us to figure it out ourselves. But if people already found some good positions or movements/etc, why not share? It is a tutorial. This does sound lazy, but I don't understand why tutorials don't really explain. Is it because not everyone can understand a specific language? If so, they can just put captions and let it translate.

2. funnky
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 01:48:38

slow motion helps the most....at least for me

3. MystikSun
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:03:31

I never really thought about that .__. When you get more experienced then you'll know how to move your fingers to make the pen do the trick that you see in a slow-mo.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:09:45

Because there were already really good tutorials, they got taken down a few months ago.

5. gyrobius
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:17:32

Because they made eso take down his videos.

6. Mufoofee
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:19:23

Depends on the way you learn.

7. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:28:36

just by telling people how the pen moves... no one would get it. a slo-mo allows the viewer to trace the pen around the finger, understanding how the pen should move. its like TA... watching it slo-mo u would see where and how the pen spins around the thumb its much more easier to understand than "TA is when a pen spins around the thumb" <--- u would go like "wtf?" Frog~

8. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:56:07

The thing is there has to be a point where you stop expecting someone to spoon feed you on how to do a trick and actually watch someone do that trick and ask yourself how to do it. When you get to this point, your spinning learning curve will grow exponentially.

9. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 06:54:36

analysing slow motions+experimenting yourself >>>>>>> someone giving you words/rant about how pen moves you need to try it out and see what happens; also there's different ways to do the same tricks (e.g. bust, hai tua etc) anyway

10. Soren
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:40:00

Tips are always great, but not everyone follow the tips and some may not even work for people. Slow-mos are great because you can clearly see how the trick is executed. Plus, less tutorials more practice :P

11. Joiemoie
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 20:54:18

This is off topic, but why were Eso's videos removed, according to some people. I mean, it just has spinning. What's inappropriate about that?

12. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 21:08:28

jliba12 wrote: This is off topic, but why were Eso's videos removed, according to some people. I mean, it just has spinning. What's inappropriate about that?
    he removed themself himself and deleted his channel, iirc

13. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 21:22:50

If you learn by yourself you will learn to execute the trick your way. This helps develop your style. :)

14. KTrinh93
    Date: Thu, Feb 16 2012 02:25:40

I just happened to stumble across this thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents.. When I first started pen spinning, like many people, I learned from Eso because he spoke English and did a pretty good job at creating tutorials. However, I noticed over time that his videos became less helpful. I'm not sure if this was because of his style of tutorials or my own personal progression and learning changed over time but anyways, I created tutorials with the mindset that someone completely new to pen spinning could understand how exactly how the trick works and where the pen goes etc.. I don't know if this makes me sound like a jerk but I told myself that I wanted to be a better teacher than Eso was by going more in depth and explaining every single aspect of how the trick works. I generally explain what the trick entails and then do it a few times. If you get it by the first few times I do it, then great you can learn on your own. If you're still confused then you keep watching. This ties into what Hippo said earlier about there being a point where you have to learn on your own without someone having to spoon-feed you the information. That's why I started KTrinh93SM - it can act as a supplement for people who have already learned the tricks and just want to see it done a few times or it can be the first place you learn a new trick if you're at that level. I understand that some people may not talk in their tutorials (thus just showing real time and slow mos) because they aren't the speaking on camera type. I also have a theory that it's because they want to make the tutorials very objective and not subjective to any language so they don't speak so they don't show a bias or something but that's my theory.

15. KTrinh93
    Date: Thu, Feb 16 2012 02:26:31

I just happened to stumble across this thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents.. When I first started pen spinning, like many people, I learned from Eso because he spoke English and did a pretty good job at creating tutorials. However, I noticed over time that his videos became less helpful. I'm not sure if this was because of his style of tutorials or my own personal progression and learning changed over time but anyways, I created tutorials with the mindset that someone completely new to pen spinning could understand how exactly how the trick works and where the pen goes etc.. I don't know if this makes me sound like a jerk but I told myself that I wanted to be a better teacher than Eso was by going more in depth and explaining every single aspect of how the trick works. I generally explain what the trick entails and then do it a few times. If you get it by the first few times I do it, then great you can learn on your own. If you're still confused then you keep watching. This ties into what Hippo said earlier about there being a point where you have to learn on your own without someone having to spoon-feed you the information. That's why I started KTrinh93SM - it can act as a supplement for people who have already learned the tricks and just want to see it done a few times or it can be the first place you learn a new trick if you're at that level. I understand that some people may not talk in their tutorials (thus just showing real time and slow mos) because they aren't the speaking on camera type. I also have a theory that it's because they want to make the tutorials very objective and not subjective to any language so they don't speak so they don't show a bias or something but that's my theory.

16. jet
    Date: Thu, Feb 16 2012 05:43:24

KTrinh93 wrote: I just happened to stumble across this thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents.. When I first started pen spinning, like many people, I learned from Eso because he spoke English and did a pretty good job at creating tutorials. However, I noticed over time that his videos became less helpful. I'm not sure if this was because of his style of tutorials or my own personal progression and learning changed over time but anyways, I created tutorials with the mindset that someone completely new to pen spinning could understand how exactly how the trick works and where the pen goes etc.. I don't know if this makes me sound like a jerk but I told myself that I wanted to be a better teacher than Eso was by going more in depth and explaining every single aspect of how the trick works. I generally explain what the trick entails and then do it a few times. If you get it by the first few times I do it, then great you can learn on your own. If you're still confused then you keep watching. This ties into what Hippo said earlier about there being a point where you have to learn on your own without someone having to spoon-feed you the information. That's why I started KTrinh93SM - it can act as a supplement for people who have already learned the tricks and just want to see it done a few times or it can be the first place you learn a new trick if you're at that level. I understand that some people may not talk in their tutorials (thus just showing real time and slow mos) because they aren't the speaking on camera type. I also have a theory that it's because they want to make the tutorials very objective and not subjective to any language so they don't speak so they don't show a bias or something but that's my theory.
    ^ yep. When I first started, I watched your tutorials. Now they don't help that much, I prefer slo-mos. BTW, i didn't know u had a slo mo channel :D

17. KTrinh93
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 14:11:36

jet wrote: BTW, i didn't know u had a slo mo channel :D
    Haha do you watch my news videos? I self promote that channel all the time :P I don't really have anything on there right now but I'm working on it! :)