UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / A discussion on Time Travel

1. Zidago
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 22:24:21

So, time travel is something fictional science has been toying with for years, and actual science has been dreaming of since forever. Lets not talk about how accelerated neutrinos being faster than the speed of light can possibly open up doorways to future time travel, lets talk about the theories surrounding the basic idea through pop culture and fiction. Personally, my favourite form of time travel in fiction was the novel The Man Who Folded Himself. It follows the idea that your body is the only thing moving through time, so that travelling back even a few seconds will cause you to meet yourself. This causes multiple problems and difficult writing, usually in the form of a paradox, but TMWFH covers it nicely. Meeting your self will make a divergent path for your second person, causing that self to change its course after the meeting. Going back even further with your second self and meeting a third, earlier you will do the same thing. This can be repeated ad infinitum, making millions of copies of your self, all with your own personality and ability to time travel. There were more rules in the novel, involving the change of past and future events, but I hope that those will be discussed by others in this thread. I do have to warn those who might pick it up, it does turn into giant gay orgies with only one man, so if that is distasteful to you, maybe watch Timecrimes or the Triangle instead. So, what films or novels do you enjoy involving Time Travel, and what are your favourite time travel rules? [SIZE="1"]Edit: There, now it is just a general disccussion. I don't know how to move the thread.[/SIZE]

2. wotu1
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 22:29:45

If this is a serious discussion, then it should go in the serious discussion subforum. Just a thought.

3. boshi
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 22:50:17

i think there was an article a while ago about how time travel was proven to be impossible.

4. suppyfezzy
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 23:15:41

possible but we would need 100x the energy of the sun and alot of elecrtomagnets

5. Zidago
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 23:51:08

Actually, I have read about a pair of particles that have a reaction to laser energy. One will begin to move slightly a few milliseconds before the laser has hit its pair particle. Some sought of precognitive reaction, which some scientists believe can make time travel possible. And for those interested in the faster than light neutrinos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly Not incredibly conclusive as of yet though since tests have not taken place outside of its initial area. they have been replicated a few times though, so it is looking good.

6. Danny116
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 00:50:43

hmmmm if the grandfather's paradox is the most common....here is my opinion of it......its BS, made by ppl who thing they have much more control of things that they dont have control over... if you do go back in time......then obviously you cannot kill your father......cuz the past has already happened, everything you did has already happened...so from the point where you left you current time, and the time you get back, everything has already happened. now if it is like back to the future 2, you simply wandered onto a different path, in a really crazy maze o-o just a bit of my opinion :D

7. suppyfezzy
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 00:57:35

if time == a straight line then giong back in time would actually be jumping into an alternate universe that is X amount of time behind the current universe

8. Raos
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 01:03:08

watch the ten demensions on youtube http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=9235 link i think somewhere I read that its possible to go into the future but not back in time

9. midniteferret
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:02:51

I started a thread about time travel about 1 month ago...and yes it was proven impossible if we consider time to be a 4th dimension.

10. Zidago
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 02:09:26

Well how about we list some of the basic rules we all know? You need to travel through time [B]and[/B] space, otherwise you might be billions of light years away in space only 2 years ago. Changing the past may equal a different time, or alternate dimensions in the future. The timeline splits in two with every change, creating altering paths. Alternatively, everything you do in the past has already happened. Like destiny, every thing you do there is what leads to your current time line. Killing yourself in the past or a family member may or may not erase your existance. We all travel through time currently at a rate of 1 second per second. Slowing down or speeding up time is something our brains already do. If time froze, everything would turn solid. Apart from being trapped in an air pocket, grass would become razors, water now rocks etc... Deloreans and police boxes are the prefered choice or time machine. You guys name some more.

11. Mats
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:12:16

[QUOTE=Zidago;175660 So, what films or novels do you enjoy involving Time Travel, and what are your favourite time travel rules? [/QUOTE] A lot of people have missed the point of this thread. I quite liked time squared, the Star Trek Next Generation episode. Although it seemed the only 'rule' we learnt was your biological functions go out of sync due to time travel making you a bit crazy. :wacko:

12. Soren
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:21:21

[video=youtube;Jtljs6-fpYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtljs6-fpYk[/video]

13. Vassenato
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:44:08

i time travel all the fucking time come at me

14. Yamaguchi
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 12:55:30

This is actually true.. black holes can travel you through time.. I saw this in yahoo, trending way back last year http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/28/time-traveler-caught-on-film-were-skeptical/

15. Reason
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 13:19:23

heres my take on it: the 4th dimension is really some kind of unexplainable terrain on which other entities (time beings if you will) live. they are the operators of what we call time. now, we are simply vessels on an axis staring into our "wheel of time" (mind you that this is only called a wheel because its the closest thing we can relate to it, its more like the wheel like entity that ezekial described in the bible or a hyperwheel). this wheel of time is moving around us and showing our reality. we are at an angle where we perceive reality just after it happens. in order to time travel (according to this theory) there must be an intersection of layers of this wheel. a piece of your reality must disrupt another piece. in order to simply perceive the future, you must change the angle at which you are observing the time wheel. i believe that this can be done through deep meditation and drugs (although using drugs to do so is technically cheating). you cannot exit the wheel or you die. so i probably lost a lot of you there and im probably wanted in a psych ward somewhere. to be honest this idea was aroused by conversation, dreams/visions, and other theories (especially ones inspired by drugs, but i wasnt the one doing them XD). i wont say anymore because its kinda crazy but i will if someone actually requests...

16. hapopo
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 21:10:51

17. Zidago
    Date: Tue, Feb 14 2012 01:36:48

Reason;175807]heres my take on it: the 4th dimension is really some kind of unexplainable terrain on which other entities (time beings if you will) live. they are the operators of what we call time. now, we are simply vessels on an axis staring into our "wheel of time" (mind you that this is only called a wheel because its the closest thing we can relate to it, its more like the wheel like entity that ezekial described in the bible or a hyperwheel). this wheel of time is moving around us and showing our reality. we are at an angle where we perceive reality just after it happens. in order to time travel (according to this theory) there must be an intersection of layers of this wheel. a piece of your reality must disrupt another piece. in order to simply perceive the future, you must change the angle at which you are observing the time wheel. i believe that this can be done through deep meditation and drugs (although using drugs to do so is technically cheating). you cannot exit the wheel or you die. so i probably lost a lot of you there and im probably wanted in a psych ward somewhere. to be honest this idea was aroused by conversation, dreams/visions, and other theories (especially ones inspired by drugs, but i wasnt the one doing them XD). i wont say anymore because its kinda crazy but i will if someone actually requests...[/QUOTE] What you have just described is the Wheel of Dharma. It is a Buddhist belief, centering around karma, fate and enlightenment. [QUOTE=hapopo wrote: el psy congroo
    You know, I have had the complete series of Steins;Gate sitting on my hdd for ages. Maybe it is time to give it a go, does it get better after the first six episodes?.

18. Zidago
    Date: Thu, May 3 2012 05:01:08

Zidago wrote: You know, I have had the complete series of Steins;Gate sitting on my hdd for ages. Maybe it is time to give it a go, does it get better after the first six episodes?.
    Holy crap it was excellent.

19. flarry
    Date: Fri, May 4 2012 04:45:19

Time travel is one of those things that people just pass on thinking that it is just some silly thought that would never really occur to begin with. But I think that there is a very thin line separating what is it in reality and what is happening in fantasy. An elevator is actually a very simple form of time travel. Consider how people would seem to move slowly walking through stairs while you breeze right through them, isn't that a very small form of being able to travel faster than others?

20. Soren
    Date: Mon, Oct 1 2012 15:41:15

I think that time travel can only be possible if there are parallel universes.

21. Wobster
    Date: Wed, Oct 3 2012 12:27:34

If time travel was possible then we would've crossed paths with someone from the future already.