UPSB v4

Off-topic / Guitar vs Piano

1. Soren
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 19:24:08

So i want to start learning how to play an instrument but i don't know which one to pick, a guitar or a piano/keyboard? I do not want to go out and take lessons, i want to learn online. So if anyone knows any websites or youtube videos that offers good tutorials for beginners then please send me a link; but i don't want tutorials that are only like 2 or 3 videos, because that's probably not enough to teach me properly. Thanks in advance.

2. neXus
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 19:25:30

I like piano better.

3. Enkronidus
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 19:29:25

If you also like to sing, then I would suggest guitar. Because it is portable and you could perform like all acoustic songs. Although, your fingers would hurt a lot when you just start practicing Piano is classical and all, if you're talking about the beauty of the voice. I'd totally say piano. Up to you D:

4. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 19:56:24

Do you listen to more guitar music or piano music?

5. Soren
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 19:58:14

Awesome wrote: Do you listen to more guitar music or piano music?
    I'm not sure, i listen to both quite a lot and enjoy both of them as well. What i think that i am trying to get at is, if there is a good tutorial on the guitar then i would more likely go and get a guitar and vice versa. I really don't mind which to get.

6. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 20:14:14

guitar is much less expensive to start

7. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 20:20:34

I found some tutorial series some time ago in which the basics(I only watched the first 5 videos so far) are really well explained. The guy in the video also explains half-tones, fulltones, chords etc. I think it could help you if you wanted to start learning piano. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP253192EED47525A8 I didn't even touch a piano while watching it, but I still was able to play some chords and easy songs. :D

8. Soren
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 20:27:11

ChainBreak wrote: I found some tutorial series some time ago in which the basics(I only watched the first 5 videos so far) are really well explained. The guy in the video also explains half-tones, fulltones, chords etc. I think it could help you if you wanted to start learning piano. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP253192EED47525A8 I didn't even touch a piano while watching it, but I still was able to play some chords and easy songs. :D
    Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of tutorial that i want. :D

9. Karrot
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 20:34:50

I like piano more. :D

10. crinix
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 21:28:47

Piano is cooler and rarer unlike guitar which can be seen at every teenager's hands.

11. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 21:52:00

I like piano sound more btw. Guitar is nice too, but piano just sounds better in my ears.

12. Karrot
    Date: Thu, Feb 9 2012 22:22:22

for piano, it's easier to learn since the keys are just there, but guitar the tuning is what you have to watch out for

13. AwonW
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 02:09:59

I'd say it's way easier to teach yourself how to play guitar than it is to teach yourself how to play piano. If it was me, I'd pick piano because I prefer it, but if you like both instruments equally go for the guitar IMO.

14. sangara
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 02:20:48

It's really all the same, but guitar is probably easier because you don't have to train both hands as intensively.

15. Zidago
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 02:48:49

It takes 10000 hours to become a master at something. Since there are only 6 stings on a basic guitar and 47 notes to play with the basic tuning, it is easy to learn. Since an average piano has 88 keys and 88 notes, it is harder to learn. The average pianist must understand how to read music sheets. The average guitarist doesnt even know what tabs are. While there are many pianists in the world, people will always be surprised that you can play and will applaud your skill. There are far too many guitarists in the world, many unemployed trying to make it big, and if you pull out a guitar anywhere the only thing people say is "oh, you can play too?". Guitarists get way more women. Pianists get much less women, but they will be of a much higher quality. Guitarist's fingers are split and calloused. Pianist's fingers are close to arthritic. Writing music is much easier with a guitar. Writing music with a piano will make people think you are a genious. I play both as a hobby. Guess which I prefer?

16. sangara
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 03:53:46

Zidago wrote: It takes 10000 hours to become a master at something. Since there are only 6 stings on a basic guitar and 47 notes to play with the basic tuning, it is easy to learn. Since an average piano has 88 keys and 88 notes, it is harder to learn. The average pianist must understand how to read music sheets. The average guitarist doesnt even know what tabs are. While there are many pianists in the world, people will always be surprised that you can play and will applaud your skill. There are far too many guitarists in the world, many unemployed trying to make it big, and if you pull out a guitar anywhere the only thing people say is "oh, you can play too?". Guitarists get way more women. Pianists get much less women, but they will be of a much higher quality. Guitarist's fingers are split and calloused. Pianist's fingers are close to arthritic. Writing music is much easier with a guitar. Writing music with a piano will make people think you are a genious. I play both as a hobby. Guess which I prefer?
    You sir are a pompous asshole.

17. Noodles
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 04:23:25

i actually learned both. I learned guitar from my friend, and i took piano class at my college. Learning curve wise, i think piano is alot easier than guitar, the only hard part was getting your 2 hands in sync, and learning how to read the notes and stuff. With guitar people have simple tabs that you can follow, which was what i followed when i learned guitar. it gets more complex as you learn chord, and chord progressions, and keeping rhythm as you change chords. What was easy for me might not be for you, so you should try them both out and see which one fits or interesting you more, and good luck =]

18. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 21:50:40

I need to be able to read notes to play the piano? Till now it was just enough to remember the movements of my fingers. Or I just put some simple tunes together in my head and played around on the piano till I was statisfied. :O

19. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 22:33:30

the learning curve is steeper with a guitar because of the physical effort it takes to hold strings and getting used to it, much easier to start off piano where its not hard to press a key down but i believe piano has more depth, because you have to master two hands which play independently and you often play many chords at once. study of counterpoint is important. although the guitar also has pretty good depth, with the various techniques like palm mute, harmonics, sweeping, bending, tapping, hammer-on, pull-off etc. this video has some good examples of advanced techniques you can do on the electric guitar [video=youtube;u3Np5HkWS7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Np5HkWS7w[/video] bear in mind this is not a real song, just a showcase (aka Étude) of various guitar techniques)

20. Karrot
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 22:55:00

ChainBreak wrote: I need to be able to read notes to play the piano? Till now it was just enough to remember the movements of my fingers. Or I just put some simple tunes together in my head and played around on the piano till I was statisfied. :O
    muscle memory? that's how I remember my songs for exam.

21. Noodles
    Date: Sat, Feb 11 2012 23:39:03

ChainBreak wrote: I need to be able to read notes to play the piano? Till now it was just enough to remember the movements of my fingers. Or I just put some simple tunes together in my head and played around on the piano till I was statisfied. :O
    well you can do it by muscle memory too, that's how i started piano, but if you want to be able to read sheet music, yeah learn to read the notes, it's really not that hard, 1 week max?

22. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 13:58:03

But I'm to lazy and I got too much to learn atm so I'll do it, when I got time and motivation to. ^^

23. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 17:52:08

u need to read the partition to learn the song in the first place, or you just might give up before you even start memorizing it

24. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 19:35:55

Does no one here play by ear? You don't have to read music to play any instrument. You don't even have to know the names of the notes for that matter.

25. Soren
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 19:43:17

sangara wrote: Does no one here play by ear? You don't have to read music to play any instrument. You don't even have to know the names of the notes for that matter.
    I would imagine it would be quite hard for beginners. However, experienced intrument players probably can.

26. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 20:46:49

It all depends on your determination to learn an instrument. It is easier for some people who hear in perfect pitch and what not.

27. Noodles
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 21:02:18

sangara wrote: Does no one here play by ear? You don't have to read music to play any instrument. You don't even have to know the names of the notes for that matter.
    some are more talented than others, I dont have the ability to play by ear, though i wished i did, so i have to either to memorize it or learn by reading the sheets.

28. Zidago
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 21:26:58

sangara wrote: You sir are a pompous asshole.
    I am guessing you play guitar and needed to write that to make yourself feel better. It's okay, there there.

29. MystikSun
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 22:30:22

I've been learning piano for nine years and just started playing guitar this past summer. Both instruments are diverse and can be seen as the bases of "skill trees" like you see in RPGs. Sometimes I see piano branching off into drums, other percussion instruments, and the guitar. The guitar kind of branches off to the uke, bass, and other string instruments (keep in mind, this is how I see it, and it may be different for others) depending on what you learn. Piano is a great way to introduce yourself to music. The hardest part for me when I'm learning guitar is how the frets all feel the same if you close your eyes. On the piano, I use the black keys as markers to feel where I am. I actually like both equally >.< You can jump straight into guitar but it might be harder to do things like follow a rhythm. I don't know how to explain it, but now instead of following a rhythm, I feel it (call me crazy). I would imagine it would be harder since you have to learn how to find your way around the neck of the guitar first, then learn how to keep a beat. Edit: The last paragraph seemed like it made sense when I was writing it, but as I read it again, it probably doesn't to you guys/girls.

30. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 22:45:40

Noodles;175593]some are more talented than others, I dont have the ability to play by ear, though i wished i did, so i have to either to memorize it or learn by reading the sheets.[/QUOTE] I didn't have the ability to play by ear until I trained it, of course I had a background in concert playing so I fully understood sheet music, but after learning how to play by ear I realized everything else is unnecessary. I'm just trying to point out that just because most people here are classically trained (they learned from sheet music) that it's not the only way to learn something. [QUOTE=Zidago;175599]I am guessing you play guitar and needed to write that to make yourself feel better. It's okay, there there.[/QUOTE] I play a multitude of instruments which include both piano and guitar, but I understand what you were trying to say right there, I used to use that trick too. [QUOTE=Zidago wrote: It takes 10000 hours to become a master at something. Since there are only 6 stings on a basic guitar and 47 notes to play with the basic tuning, it is easy to learn. Since an average piano has 88 keys and 88 notes, it is harder to learn. The amount of notes an instrument has the ability to play has no relevance in it's difficulty to learn. Notes are the same on all instruments, just because one has greater range doesn't mean that it's harder to play, just that you can play more on it. The argument of strings versus keys, yes there are only 6 strings on a guitar but with guitar you use frets to differentiate notes. If the average for electric guitar is 21 frets then you have 126 playable notes, if the average for acoustic is 16 then we have 96 playable notes, so by your own logic guitar would actually be more difficult. I didn't even mention the fact that you can bend those highest frets and pick behind the nut for yet even more notes. However this has absolutely nothing with the difficulty of learning. The average pianist must understand how to read music sheets. The average guitarist doesnt even know what tabs are. While I agree that a vast majority of guitar players don't know how to read music or know anything about music theory, you fail to realize the background of both instruments. The guitar is a 'folk' instrument, meaning it was never taken seriously in a concert setting so the fact that most guitarists don't know about things like reading music and music theory is quite fitting. The piano on the other hand is a very classical instrument, as I assume most everyone knows, because of the years of tradition you're brainwashed into thinking that you need to read music in order to play this instrument. While there are many pianists in the world, people will always be surprised that you can play and will applaud your skill. There are far too many guitarists in the world, many unemployed trying to make it big, and if you pull out a guitar anywhere the only thing people say is "oh, you can play too?". The number of people trying to make it big on each instrument is probably all relative, so because you have more people playing guitar then you're going to see more people trying to make it big. Guitarists get way more women. Pianists get much less women, but they will be of a much higher quality.Quality of women? Really? Guitarist's fingers are split and calloused. Pianist's fingers are close to arthritic.Calloused? Yes. Split? No. You need to learn to take care of your hands. Piano players being arthritic, once again, learn to take care of your hands. Writing music is much easier with a guitar. Writing music with a piano will make people think you are a genius. I fail to see how writing music is easier on one instrument, you're using the same chords, notes, scales, intervals etc. I write on both instruments daily, I actually find it easier to transition between the two, but that's only a personal preference. I play both as a hobby. Guess which I prefer?
    So I said that you were a pompous asshole, when I should have said, "You sir, are a pompous, naive, uneducated asshole."

31. Zidago
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 23:00:38

I love how you are calling the kettle black since you deconstructing my post. Unfortunately, everything I wrote is pretty much true, I didn't go into an indepth post since I know the OP is fairly new to instruments. Everyone learns instruments differently, but from my experience with absolute newbies, people can learn the basics of playing guitar faster than a piano. Also, writing music is much easier with a guitar when only using chords in comparison to writing out sheet music. Pull your head out of your arse. I was writing that up for a little fun with no offence meant for anyone, but clearly I have struck a nerve in someone who is "a pompous, naive, uneducated asshole." So once again, there there.

32. Soren
    Date: Thu, Feb 16 2012 22:52:22

Zombo;175066]the learning curve is steeper with a guitar because of the physical effort it takes to hold strings and getting used to it, much easier to start off piano where its not hard to press a key down but i believe piano has more depth, because you have to master two hands which play independently and you often play many chords at once. study of counterpoint is important. although the guitar also has pretty good depth, with the various techniques like palm mute, harmonics, sweeping, bending, tapping, hammer-on, pull-off etc. this video has some good examples of advanced techniques you can do on the electric guitar [video=youtube;u3Np5HkWS7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Np5HkWS7w[/video] bear in mind this is not a real song, just a showcase (aka Étude) of various guitar techniques)[/QUOTE] Interesting, i'll take that into consideration. [QUOTE=Noodles;174864]i actually learned both. I learned guitar from my friend, and i took piano class at my college. Learning curve wise, i think piano is alot easier than guitar, the only hard part was getting your 2 hands in sync, and learning how to read the notes and stuff. With guitar people have simple tabs that you can follow, which was what i followed when i learned guitar. it gets more complex as you learn chord, and chord progressions, and keeping rhythm as you change chords. What was easy for me might not be for you, so you should try them both out and see which one fits or interesting you more, and good luck =][/QUOTE] Thanks for the advice :D [QUOTE=Zidago wrote: It takes 10000 hours to become a master at something. Since there are only 6 stings on a basic guitar and 47 notes to play with the basic tuning, it is easy to learn. Since an average piano has 88 keys and 88 notes, it is harder to learn. The average pianist must understand how to read music sheets. The average guitarist doesnt even know what tabs are. While there are many pianists in the world, people will always be surprised that you can play and will applaud your skill. There are far too many guitarists in the world, many unemployed trying to make it big, and if you pull out a guitar anywhere the only thing people say is "oh, you can play too?". Guitarists get way more women. Pianists get much less women, but they will be of a much higher quality. Guitarist's fingers are split and calloused. Pianist's fingers are close to arthritic. Writing music is much easier with a guitar. Writing music with a piano will make people think you are a genious. I play both as a hobby. Guess which I prefer?
    Guitar? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sorry for the late reply. If anyone can, i just want to check out more tutorials (found online) for either guitar or piano, because there is no point in getting the instrument that i want to learn if there are no good tutorials to learn from.

33. nicco15
    Date: Thu, Feb 16 2012 23:49:19

i would prefer piano's they have a more taste full sound then guitars

34. Yamaguchi
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 00:08:26

piano

35. Karrot
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 20:58:44

play by ear, that's like melody play back in exam. but if you want to play really well like that, then you probably have perfect pitch

36. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Feb 17 2012 21:16:39

Zidago wrote: It takes 10000 hours to become a master at something. Since there are only 6 stings on a basic guitar and 47 notes to play with the basic tuning, it is easy to learn. Since an average piano has 88 keys and 88 notes, it is harder to learn. The average pianist must understand how to read music sheets. The average guitarist doesnt even know what tabs are. While there are many pianists in the world, people will always be surprised that you can play and will applaud your skill. There are far too many guitarists in the world, many unemployed trying to make it big, and if you pull out a guitar anywhere the only thing people say is "oh, you can play too?". Guitarists get way more women. Pianists get much less women, but they will be of a much higher quality. Guitarist's fingers are split and calloused. Pianist's fingers are close to arthritic. Writing music is much easier with a guitar. Writing music with a piano will make people think you are a genious. I play both as a hobby. Guess which I prefer?
    hahahahaha, you're funny. guitar is more portable and you'll probably have more opportunities to play in front of people at campfires and the like. I see it as an advantage if more people play an instrument too; its easier to meet people that you can learn from.

37. neXus
    Date: Sat, Feb 18 2012 00:24:07

Zombo wrote: bear in mind this is not a real song, just a showcase (aka Étude) of various guitar techniques)
    Bear in mind that you need that hair to play like this. It sounds pretty awesome.