UPSB v4

Board Comments / New PSing Rank ideas

1. Shadowbane
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 19:51:49

I think that there should be a ranks for pen spinning battle victories :) For example: 10+ battles won = D rank 20+ battles won = C rank 40+ battles won = B rank 50+ battles won = A rank 100+ battles won= S rank This could help in choosing spinners for world tournaments, collabs... :D

2. RR24
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 20:03:44

what about losses? o_O

3. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 20:58:52

A lot of reasons why this wouldn't work. What about losses? Different skill levels battle other skill levels. Skill changes over time.

4. Shadowbane
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 21:03:54

shoeman6 wrote: A lot of reasons why this wouldn't work. What about losses? Different skill levels battle other skill levels. Skill changes over time.
    probably losses doesn't count and if they get more skillful then they probably will win more battle and raise their rank :)

5. exclusive
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 21:19:50

i wonder what game u got this idea from >.>

6. JC
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 03:04:33

What about if Eriror wins 10 battles and gets D rank... and a good noobs battles all these other noobs and gets 100+ wins and gets S rank... From that, we're saying that the noob is better than Eriror.. a 5 yr spinner?

7. Raphiel
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 03:25:25

<< Hey...I like Soul Calibur as well

8. Shadowbane
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 06:40:19

JC wrote: What about if Eriror wins 10 battles and gets D rank... and a good noobs battles all these other noobs and gets 100+ wins and gets S rank... From that, we're saying that the noob is better than Eriror.. a 5 yr spinner?
    What if all spinners must challenge a person equal to or greater in rank then them? except S rank which can anyone since it doesn't matter.

9. k-ryder
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 07:26:57

we do have a ladder system correct? but that just conciders upsb spinners who choose to participate in the ladder tournament the fact that pen spinning has 2 "diciplines" - battles, and collabs, there is no way to grade/rank every spinner eg, pyralux, who does not battle (and hence get "zero" points) does not necessarily mean he is worse than me, who might have won 1-2 easy matches against newbs

10. JC
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 08:50:45

Shadowbane wrote: What if all spinners must challenge a person equal to or greater in rank then them? except S rank which can anyone since it doesn't matter.
    Erhm... don't get what you're saying.. You can't rank spinners based on the amount of battles they win because some spinners simply may not want to battle as much We do have a ladder system, but that is similar to your system in that it's flawed because it puts the person with the most wins and least losses at the top Even if someone manages to win 100 battles against 100 spinners who are better than them... if Eriror or Vic only decides to do a couple battles and wins those couple battles, they're at a lower rank since they have less wins -- but that wouldn't mean the person at S-rank with 100wins is better than Eriror/Vic even though he's at a higher rank.

11. 000zero0000
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 14:34:07

Just make this simple guys. Whenever a tournament comes up, if you think your skills are worthy enough submit your video. Let the people who filter the videos do the rest.

12. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 19:46:17

I mean I could battle 800 times and win 100 and I'll be S-rank. plus ppl can do fake battles and move up too

13. Shadowbane
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 23:42:24

we do have a ladder system correct? but that just conciders upsb spinners who choose to participate in the ladder tournament the fact that pen spinning has 2 "diciplines" - battles, and collabs, there is no way to grade/rank every spinner eg, pyralux, who does not battle (and hence get "zero" points) does not necessarily mean he is worse than me, who might have won 1-2 easy matches against newbs
    This could get spinners to motivated to stop spamming to get a title and start spinning to get a title.
    Erhm... don't get what you're saying.. You can't rank spinners based on the amount of battles they win because some spinners simply may not want to battle as much We do have a ladder system, but that is similar to your system in that it's flawed because it puts the person with the most wins and least losses at the top Even if someone manages to win 100 battles against 100 spinners who are better than them... if Eriror or Vic only decides to do a couple battles and wins those couple battles, they're at a lower rank since they have less wins -- but that wouldn't mean the person at S-rank with 100wins is better than Eriror/Vic even though he's at a higher rank.
    This could motivate Eriror to make combos for battles and not 400 simple combos.
    I mean I could battle 800 times and win 100 and I'll be S-rank. plus ppl can do fake battles and move up too
    Yeah but you guys vote for the winner so you should notice if a guy keeps battling the same guy Wow that was a lot of criticism :p don't any of you have anything positive to say :D

14. JC
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 03:34:51

Seems like the ideal situation you want to achieve is for every spinner to battle every other spinner on this board (which could lead to accurate ranks), but that's just not possible. You'll always have spinners who simply don't want to battle and want to spin just for fun -- like me for example... I don't really like to battle, but I think it's safe to assume I'm better than someone who's just joined and got C rank or something..even though I don't have a rank. And then people like pyralux who are better than most of the people on this board probably will also lack a rank, which would imply the other spinners on this board are better than him. Again, we already have a ladder system in place that your system is similar to, but even that is flawed by people who simply don't have time or the desire to battle.

15. SuiXidaL
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 03:58:55

This Ranking system would not work -_- BUT a system like the UPSB tournament might. Every spinner competes in a knockout rounds, you lose, your out , based on what round you reached that is your rank, if there are more than one person that lost then the losers battle each other in a loser's bracket. I'm just sayin'

16. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 04:00:29

well basically the signature banners we gave to UPSB tourney participanets achieve the same thing

17. SuiXidaL
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 08:16:02

We should just scrap this idea <_<<

18. mintypaladin
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 22:10:02

..yes we could[edit: scrap the idea]..and we dont even take into acconut the beast spinners that dont compete at all like kari...david weis...nhk_9...eso...kam...etc

19. JC
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 22:19:21

mintypaladin wrote: ..yes we could..and we dont even take into acconut the beast spinners that dont compete at all like kari...david weis...nhk_9...eso...kam...etc
    how...?

20. Zkhan
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 22:32:22

off topic, but didn't old PDS have a ranking system? I'm not sure it was based off of spinning level though...

21. SuiXidaL
    Date: Mon, Jul 26 2010 22:55:33

I'd say this ranking idea isnt possible, whell it is but not a larger scale, there are just to many GOD-LIKE spinners to compare each other with, and some are retired such as SEVEN and Minwoo.

22. Shadowbane
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 01:07:55

Fine don't use this idea :( but next time thpsc pwns upsb, you will realize that our spinners need some sort of motivation :)

23. JC
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 02:54:19

lol.. you think a ranking system will motivate people? as you become used to the spinners, you don't need a ranking system to know who's in what class -- and for the ones that are too close to call, that's what battles/tournaments between those people are for i couldn't care less if i was D rank, wouldn't motivate me to get to S rank if i know i'm better than those S-rank people already cause they just battle a lot

24. 000zero0000
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 07:14:12

didn't(doesn't) KPSA force new members to be able to spin decently before learning new tricks? (not allowing them to see certain videos) wasn't that rank system?

25. Simplex
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 16:53:55

^thats fucked... hmm the only way i think a ranking system would work is if instead of people battling we get the entirety of upsb to grade the active spinners' spinning. which probably wouldnt work well lolol

26. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 19:40:37

Shadowbane wrote: Fine don't use this idea :( but next time thpsc pwns upsb, you will realize that our spinners need some sort of motivation :)
    I don't think THPSC has ever "pwn'd" UPSB in a battle, ever. The two boards have never battled, to my knowledge. (Asian Cup, World Cup) Now there's supawit vs. Eriror, but that's a different story...

27. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 22:04:53

hoiboy wrote: I don't think THPSC has ever "pwn'd" UPSB in a battle, ever. The two boards have never battled, to my knowledge. (Asian Cup, World Cup) Now there's supawit vs. Eriror, but that's a different story...
    false, UPSB battled THPSC during the WC08.

28. casual
    Date: Wed, Jul 28 2010 06:06:45

If THPSC battled JEB in a judged competition, THPSC would evidently win because execution is emphasized over style. Yet, JEB is still respected for their quality spinners. There are two aspects to spinning, and we should keep it that way. Not emphasize one aspect over another. Judged spinning is less of an art than a sport because people start emphasizing difficulty and execution instead of the overall appeal to the combo. It's better to keep UPSB open to both kinds of spinning, and not encourage just competition spinning.

29. Simplex
    Date: Thu, Jul 29 2010 04:56:37

^ you just won this thread :D

30. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Thu, Jul 29 2010 13:46:39

I'd be happy with my S-rank anyway with my 265-8 win/loss ratio. <.<

31. Mats
    Date: Thu, Jul 29 2010 19:31:36

What's wrong with the current ladder ranking system? And in any case, battles alone cannot be used to pick people for serious tournaments. Many other things have to be taken into account, consistancy of quality of combo, reliability for submission, range of skills that spinner is good at, who they were battling and the win/loss ratio ect

32. goraikou
    Date: Wed, Aug 25 2010 15:35:54

i say we should scrap this whole idea!!

33. Cloud
    Date: Tue, Jan 25 2011 06:12:51

i dont think anyone besides eriror and maybe like 2 other people have more than 100 battles...

34. Mats
    Date: Thu, Dec 8 2011 11:09:00

Revived? :trollface: