UPSB v4

General Discussion / history of pen spinning

1. meeguelz
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 21:15:58

Hi, in my school we are starting to do a research paper and my friend bet me I couldn't do a good paper on pen spinning so any information on the origins or history of pen spinning would be great.

2. suppyfezzy
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 22:02:09

start by not stealing sigs...

3. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 22:06:06

http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Hideaki_Kondoh That guy was one of the first penspinners. David Weiss and Kam a pretty big PS historical figures, snoop around the wiki.

4. webspider
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 22:07:41

>Stealing a signature >Forgetting to remove the name of its owner OP must be extremely intelligent.

5. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 23:42:28

Stealing a sig from one of UPSBs most disliked members...priceless.

6. meeguelz
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 23:43:10

sorry, i saw it on the jedi spinners page and i thought it looked cool, i'll change it I didn't mean to steal anything i'm really sorry it should be gone now that was embarassing

7. Miku
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 23:52:42

triple post? LOL

8. spinford
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 23:53:51

@meeguelz Maybe you should stop doubleposting. you triple posted lol. gonna get infraction.

9. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Feb 3 2012 23:56:52

triple post FTW.

10. DArKT
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 00:14:32

in the beggining of Penspinning there wasnt any forums,so noobs. couldnt triple post.as there werent any forum,there werent any noobs.(remenber,noob=/=newbie) that resultated that everybody was Pro.

11. suppyfezzy
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 00:32:10

double post == infraction triple post == :facepalm:

12. Mufoofee
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 03:16:41

:wiki: I am serious

13. meeguelz
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 20:12:32

k, i'll look on the wiki and see what i can find

14. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 20:32:10

What kind of history would you guys be interested to read about? I wonder if the History Dept. can start working again. . .

15. Dudak
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 22:25:36

I suggest picking a different topic. You probably won't find any acceptable sources for your paper

16. TerryAngX
    Date: Sun, Jun 3 2012 02:21:48

As I'm still a noob i still want to know more about PS, what is the history of it ? :blink:

17. Kazuki
    Date: Sun, Jun 3 2012 02:24:50

Bonkura is history to me lol.

18. Yamaguchi
    Date: Sun, Jun 3 2012 03:02:05

[video=youtube;U-tkAHhmiNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-tkAHhmiNU[/video]

19. webspider
    Date: Sun, Jun 3 2012 18:32:03

There isn't much to tell, because almost all note-worthy stuff happened in various forums and is documented with videos/text.

20. Alex
    Date: Sun, Jun 3 2012 21:15:14

there isnt much to tell dude, pen spinning hasnt been around for that long, its been around for about 70 years the earliest record of a pen spinner is a boy in early WWII , but it became popular in the early 90s, before that all there were were prolly fundementals and thats it, there were on forums, no WT/WC and not even kam was around so now is when all its history is being made

21. Awesome
    Date: Mon, Jun 4 2012 01:42:34

I think you could explain most of it by examining the evolution of pen mods and explaining notable spinners. you could use RSVP-> MX -> MX^2 -> buster CYL to demonstrate the trends and mentality that underlines pen spinning; people wanted to be good so they wanted to do harder tricks so they needed heavier and heavier pens until it mutated into sticks for intense power tricks. Mention notable spinners and provide background of the scene to put the mods into context. Old schoolers like Kam and Weis were around the pencil/RSVP era and Kam transitions it into the MX era where tricks are still primitive but combos are starting to take on the modern form, Bonkura would probably be a good canidate for the representation of the MX era. Eriror beating Bonkura in WT 07 represents the MX^2 era coming into fruition where tricks are advanced, technical errors are virtually gone and pen mods are heavily modded and represent "advanced technology". Spinnerpeem in WT 09 is the epitome of the Buster CYL era where the definition of "pen" become blurry and highly difficult tricks dominate. It may be worthwhile to note that the evolution approximates Moore's law until Peem where it levels off (to be better would take longer than the average pen spinning career and hence represents a limit at present.) As pen spinning advanced creativity became less and less important because tutorials for mods and tricks became available ("technology" was discovered and distributed). Eventually technical skill became more and more important cuz teenage guys wanna be the best and win tournaments and WT, not make "art" (the driving force of pen spinning development.) I haven't followed the scene since then so there might be more to bring up to present time, but from what I've seen PS is in a stable state right now.

22. Avocado
    Date: Mon, Jun 4 2012 04:36:42

wikipedia is not a valid source for a paper..so i think u r gonna screwed if using this topic D:

23. FRspinner
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 09:50:01

Hideaki kondoh is Freeman?

24. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 11:16:19

FRspinner wrote: Hideaki kondoh is Freeman?
    nope, hideaki kondoh was spinning long before freeman started, hideaki is from JEB, freeman is from spain