UPSB v4

Forum Games / RPG Round 10

1. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:19:07

Feedback: What was good/bad? What should be changed? "ould you even like to see this run again? Anyone can answer (if they participated or not). @Abyss

2. Chobi
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:36:21

there should be like, a 1 round spawn time for deaths. Okay well maybe I'm just saying this since I was the first one dead, but yeah lol

3. Van
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:51:07

it was nice (sun)

4. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:51:25

I think it would be more exciting if the fights were better balanced and you could restore hp easily. cuz now getting hit is like a stat drain, and lots of the fights were that the monsters couldn't even hurt you. Maybe introduce critical hits, if you roll a 10 do double damage, as well as an inn; while in town all HPs are recovered.

5. Abyss
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 13:07:48

fights were boring, we need more options like tame a monster or something. Just a opinion though :/

6. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 18:02:45

I think the balancing of the monsters was kinda weird. The monsters were weak at the beginning and at the end they were way too strong. I think you should have chosen fixed monster levels for one area. Like that the players can choose if they want to fight stronger monsters or not. If you just make all monsters stronger you force players to take on monsters they cant kill and they will quickly die. It's ok to spawn a boss monster or two, but the overall strength of the monsters in one area shouldn't vary as much. If you can extend your program to allow shops, equipment upgrades, temporary buffs as well as a money currency I think the game would offer more variety and it would make things a bit smoother. To adjust your program you can also always ask other people for help. Having a team for developing the game could speed things up. Then you can focus more on the structure of the game instead of dealing with all the small stuff. If you want a Python coder : I got some time till middle of Feb. If it's just calculation functions I will be happy to help. (sun)

7. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 20:07:07

The game program ending up being a bit of a patchy thing. It only worked if you knew how to make it work and even then it was not great. The monster balancing I wasn't sure on. There is a big text file of monsters and it had % odds of picking certain ones which increased for stronger monsters as the rounds progressed. I also (by hand) did not allow any monsters that had come before in that area (if I remembered it coming) and made the program choose another. I don't know if that was a good decision or not. There was code for a shop, but I realized as soon as someone got gold that it wasn't working and was too lazy to debug it. I do plan to re-write the program and a blacksmith was definitely on the list (for upgrading weapons/shields/armour). I'm taking into account everything you guys say, but I'm not sure when this program will be finished. First priority is some games I have, then the whatmod? program, then maybe this. Thanks for the offer of help, but it's all written in C++. I could get the program to call up yours, but the calculation stuff for fights and stuff is fine and the shop/blacksmith stuff would be pretty easy. What would be nice would be help writing functions such as temporary buffs, but this could be really confusing if not all written in the same language?

8. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 20:58:00

You got a point there, but I couldn't know which language it was written in right? :P Then I'll just try to catch up to you. I haven't got a project atm so it should be quite interesting for me to start something like this.

9. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 21:04:45

ChainBreak wrote: You got a point there, but I couldn't know which language it was written in right? :P Then I'll just try to catch up to you. I haven't got a project atm so it should be quite interesting for me to start something like this.
    Of course you weren't to know. I was just saying - It is unfortunate really, that's all. ;) You could of course, just do the project entirely yourself. I'm not particularly fussed about doing it either way. If you got stuck on something, I could perhaps help out a bit with debugging. Would you be interested in doing it yourself? (I could also send you the text files if you want)

10. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Jan 26 2012 16:52:52

I think I want to start on my own from scratch first. I'll ask for advice if I'm stuck then. ^^