UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / the race issue.

1. boshi
    Date: Tue, Jan 24 2012 03:08:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=PDD-6BB2nko the title makes it come off a little bitter, and the bit about holocausts seems unnecessary. but honestly, i sort of agree with the rest of it. thoughts?

2. funnky
    Date: Tue, Jan 24 2012 04:44:09

i have no idea what that girl was trying to do

3. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jan 26 2012 13:12:16

Like funnky I'm not too sure what the point of her video was besides expressing her dislike of ethnic history months but she's basing all her opinions off of the fact that she thinks that "the race issue" is solved when people stop recognizing differences between races, skin color, etc. I don't think that's the solution, I don't think it's possible and I don't think people would want that. When I say something like "Oh you remember my colleague? He's black." then I am using a very distinct feature of that person to paint a visual image. There's nothing wrong with saying "You're black, you're Mexican." you're just describing people and I don't see how them being minorities is necessarily a bad thing, if a group of people wants to be treated equally to the majority and it acts and behaves accordingly I don't see a reason why being a minority is a problem. Actual racists for example are a minority within the majority. Racism is not really the fault of the minorities, it's a problem with the majority that we have a society were there are people that hate other races. Racists do not act accordingly to the minority and so they are disliked by the rest.

4. Kirby
    Date: Sun, Jan 29 2012 18:34:38

My Opinions on racism: First off, by my interpretation of the word, I am not racist. Although I dislike a greater percentage of some minorities (specifically blacks) than the percentage that I dislike of white ethnicities, I do not hate African Americans as a whole. America is full of reverse racism. Blacks from the city get bussed into public suburb schools while the white city kids do not have the opportunity. Also, there are numerous "black only" or minority only scholarships. Some Black people use racism for a scapegoat against white people for every possible situation. EX: "they didn't give me the job because those damn white people are racist", when really the African American applying for the job is just substantially less fit for the job. People say since whites treated black people poorly in the 18th and 19th century they deserve special treatment now. Well, think of this; if all these ignorant black American's great great grandparents hadn't came to America as slaves, they would be 10 times poorer, 10 times as unhealthy, and would die much sooner, and they would have a much lower quality of life, dying of AIDS back in Africa. So, the 21st century African Americans cannot get mad at 21st century whites, because it happened in the past, and in some sort of twisted way, whites, helped all the blacks through the act of slavery. So fuck black history month. Yes, we need to know about slavery and how it's wrong as well as the civil rights movement where educated black were fighting for the rights that they deserve, but we do not need a whole month of everyone talking about black heritage and their struggles. They get special treatment year-round, they don't need super duper special treatment for another month. Plus, black people can't get head lice, so they definitely don't deserve special treatment. jk.