UPSB v4

Battlezone / Pendragon;midnitferret;Newbie

1. Pendragon
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 15:45:17

Me [video=youtube;JQdrXSIlCHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdrXSIlCHA&context=C3567318ADOEgsToPDskLj8SYrXiUjXX2WCJh2HNyT[/video] midnitferret [video=youtube;tS6g7DbGQNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6g7DbGQNU&feature=related[/video] Newbie [video=youtube;jIIrHelCGYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIIrHelCGYs[/video]

2. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 15:48:06

Newbie for least near-drops and stoppages.

3. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 17:16:32

Midnit didn't even put a linkage in there from what I can see, pendragon was really sketchy. Thumbs up to newbie for some decent linkages, but still a little sketchy. And you all should lose points for using such heavy mods at that skill level, Pendragon you're using a KT, midnit looks like he's using a waterfall and newbie looks like he's using a buster or something of the kind, though I could be mistaken.

4. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 17:38:30

Why should anyone give a shit how heavy your mod is what level ?

5. midniteferret
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 22:11:05

I'm still using the lightest mod...and yeah...I suck at combos...and I admit it

6. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 22:12:47

@Mats The heavier the mod the more momentum and the easier it is to perform tricks. This is especially so with busters and KT. And on a long term notice, it will affect their spinning style.

7. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 21 2012 23:21:41

eurocracy wrote: The heavier the mod the more momentum and the easier it is to perform tricks. This is especially so with busters and KT.
    Yeah no shit mate.
    And on a long term notice, it will affect their spinning style.
    So you are seriously saying that if you start out by spinning heavy mods you somehow will end up with a 'bad' style, but somehow using lighter mods and then using heavier ones will prevent this? Ridiculous!

8. Newbie
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 00:06:14

In Malaysia,many seller just sell a Ivan like rm15(no idea about the currency) So there was common to see some1 using buster or ivan

9. Pendragon
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:42:08

lol i don´t use an KT :D i use my own mod which have of course metal tips but its not that heavy

10. Pendragon
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:44:07

@ midnitferret : come on i don´t would say you suck your on your way i think i was really bad this time but many tiomes better then the last battel ;) you will see it in may 2 month you will be lots better

11. Krypton
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 14:05:57

Newbie for sure. Pendragon, work on control. Midnitferret, work on variety and smoothness.

12. Mats
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 14:09:55

Everyone, work on everything! :teach: Would be interesting to see a rematch of this battle in 3 months or so.

13. Pendragon
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 17:00:34

Good idea mats i will keep this

14. midniteferret
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 19:34:04

@Pendragon idk I try to focus more on school these days but I think I'll get better during the summer

15. Pendragon
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 22:31:23

i think let it do like mats say it same battle in three months

16. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Jan 23 2012 09:00:09

Mats wrote: So you are seriously saying that if you start out by spinning heavy mods you somehow will end up with a 'bad' style, but somehow using lighter mods and then using heavier ones will prevent this? Ridiculous!
    by using heavier mods which they aren't accustomed to and if they're new to spinning, they would be using their strength to move the mod, so their 'natural style' would be taken over by the strength needed and so they end up in a 'bad' style, if you get what i mean

17. Chobi
    Date: Mon, Jan 23 2012 09:43:03

+1 Newbie for obvious reasons, i guess. :/

18. midniteferret
    Date: Tue, Jan 24 2012 03:04:17

I agree that heavy mods will ruin your style if you spin like busters but spinning waterfall is easy and doesn't take any strength. I play tennis, used to play piano and flute, and throw cards (and use stress balls...lol) so waterfall is like nothing. Anyways...just my opinion. ok...gonna practice for the next 3 months now!

19. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Jan 24 2012 16:13:25

Mats wrote: Yeah no shit mate. So you are seriously saying that if you start out by spinning heavy mods you somehow will end up with a 'bad' style, but somehow using lighter mods and then using heavier ones will prevent this? Ridiculous!
    @midniteferret If a pen mod feels too light, spin with a lighter mod for about half an hour and you will see how quickly it seems to gain weight. When I get too used to my Steel Comssa I spin a normal double capped white comssa in order to get my fingers used to it and then when I move up it feels more powerful in my fingers, like the effect of moving up to a heavier mod and I'm able to make use of the momentum.

20. SA1
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 00:17:34

+1 newbie same as chobi

21. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:43:40

Alvaris;170272]by using heavier mods which they aren't accustomed to and if they're new to spinning, they would be using their strength to move the mod, so their 'natural style' would be taken over by the strength needed and so they end up in a 'bad' style, if you get what i mean[/QUOTE] But if they use the mod later on, they will not be using their strength anymore? I don't think so. Anyway, let's take a similar thing. I have never ever ever ever heard someone say to use a keyboard or a light action piano before moving on to a heavier one. Why? Because it doesn't matter. We are not talking about weight lifting here, where the muscles need to adapt to the weight. [QUOTE=eurocracy wrote: I said it will affect their style, which is true. I never said it will give them a bad style
    If it has no bad affect, why did you say they shouldn't use it? :?
    Lighter mods help build dexterity and style while heavier mods make the tricks easier to perform. Therefore it is recommended to build your style using light mods and then move onto heavier mods when you can transfer it across. Are you honestly trying to deny well known facts about pen mods Mats to give yourself a "Zing" factor? It is not amusing or helpful at all.
    I will tell you what is not helpful at all - Giving bad advice! Like telling beginners they shouldn't be using heavy mods when it doesn't matter!

22. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 16:10:40

Mats wrote: But if they use the mod later on, they will not be using their strength anymore? I don't think so. Anyway, let's take a similar thing. I have never ever ever ever heard someone say to use a keyboard or a light action piano before moving on to a heavier one. Why? Because it doesn't matter. We are not talking about weight lifting here, where the muscles need to adapt to the weight. If it has no bad affect, why did you say they shouldn't use it? :? I will tell you what is not helpful at all - Giving bad advice! Like telling beginners they shouldn't be using heavy mods when it doesn't matter!
    @Mats [video=youtube;S7zD75HVyrY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zD75HVyrY[/video] Don't counter one argument and then cast aside the rest of it so ignorantly. Pen mods have been said to be for Beginner, Intermediate and Expert spinners since pen spinning has begun. My point being made in the first place being if a pen mod makes it easier to spin and we have beginner level spinners using it for tricks that can also be performed even better by a lighter mod then it is being used in the wrong standard, and will thus affect their style and they may end up relying on momentum rather than finger dexterity as said before. This comment on the video also can sum up what a heavier mod can do:
    I have come to the realization of how rough your smoothness can become after spinning with an exceptionally heavy mod early, so I'm starting to cool it down with the mx. Pretty fun, actually. Starting to develop a lot more style than i was with a heavier mod. This video is fantastic for any spinner curious on the subject of choosing a good pen mod for your level. I highly recommend paying attention to the system KTrinh has going on here. Great video, and keep up the good work :D! Pen2Gai 3 weeks ago 5

23. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 16:50:26

eurocracy wrote: @Mats [video=youtube;S7zD75HVyrY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zD75HVyrY[/video] Pen mods have been said to be for Beginner, Intermediate and Expert spinners since pen spinning has begun.
    They also said the world was flat since the world began (until pretty recently). This is a logical fallacy. Just because something is believed for a long time, does not make it true. I did like the video. Good as usual from KTrinh! This however, does not mean I agree with it. I think you just need to try out a few pens, any pens (probably what you can make with what you have where you live) and see what you like. Perhaps as you improve, you might change your tastes (as you will likely try more and more pens). However, I do not think that somehow you should be using heavier and heavier pens as you get better and better. This needs a new thread...