UPSB v4

Off-topic / alienware x51

1. boshi
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 04:54:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGknqZ6sQcE&feature=g-u&context=G2a07b7cFUAAAAAAAAAA thoughts? iv never been into pc gaming personally, but the size factor of this thing is tempting me. question though. if i got a dual core model, would i later be able to make it quad core, and still fit it all in the case?

2. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:18:09

Alienware make the biggest rip off computers I have ever seen and this is no exception.

3. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:20:24

why do you want a small computer? better to have more room for ventilation... especially if you live in california, thing will overheat

4. boshi
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:23:50

i go in between different houses often, so i want something i can bring with me easily rather than buy 2 high end computers. And is ventilation that big of an issue? also back to my original question, will the dual core model case be able to hold quad core?

5. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:33:18

you dont want to move that kind of thing often. just replugging all the wires is already annoying, no matter what the form factor is. whether it can support quad or dual, it depends on the mobo. ventilation can be a big deal yes especially if you want to overclock

6. boshi
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:39:30

if i don't overclock, am i fine? and what would i look for on the specs to determine whether or not all models support quad core?

7. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:42:28

Portability - Laptop.

8. boshi
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:44:31

i want something that i can upgrade in the future.

9. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:49:22

i doubt this thing is easy to upgrade, alienware tends to make closed systems they probably made some proprietary things to fit this custom form factor for example you wouldn't be able to change PSU and the mobo might be shortened and not have many expansion slots, and no support Xfire/SLI i guess one of the models offered will have quad core, you dont have to worry about that

10. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:51:25

I don't see why you aren't even considering a laptop? :?

11. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:52:51

laptops suck for gaming

12. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 05:53:42

He said he's not even a serious gamer. :dunno: And they run games fine, you can get a mouse. What's the problem?

13. boshi
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 06:06:41

well, guess i'll just wait for reviews to come out telling about what it does/doesn't do. and i don't want a laptop because i want to be able to upgrade it later on, and from what iv heard, laptops are cheaper.

14. Vassenato
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 06:14:12

alienware is garbage since they got bought by dell.

15. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 06:54:02

boshi wrote: well, guess i'll just wait for reviews to come out telling about what it does/doesn't do. and i don't want a laptop because i want to be able to upgrade it later on, and from what iv heard, laptops are cheaper.
    if you want to upgrade its better to make it yourself, then ur sure u get something thats expendable also if you plan properly, you can ensure you dont need to upgrade everything, just small parts = less expensive. for example, when upgrading the GFX, if you already have a good PSU, u dont need to change psu as well = save money.

16. Chobi
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 09:55:43

imo this thing's useless. why not just get a m14x or something?

17. UEDan
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:23:42

Zombo wrote: why do you want a small computer? better to have more room for ventilation... especially if you live in california, thing will overheat
    Listen to the man, I use a Small form factor HPs for a variety of things, home entertainment, personal Linux server(low usage), 0 down time router, etc. And they run fucking hot. The CPU/chassis fans run pretty high, I use them to save space, but I have to make sure they're somewhere cool. I already had 1 router fail me because of heat problems. And those PSU are usually [B]proprietary[/B], good luck finding a replacement or upgrade. They end up going to the parts bin when a PSU dies. And at that price, might as well build a PC with a Shuttle Barebones, or go crazy with some scrap metal.

18. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 14:05:07

boshi wrote: and from what iv heard, laptops are cheaper.
    And this is bad? lol

19. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 15:28:18

Try ASUS, cheaper and still runs good http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/

20. Wisp
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 16:30:16

It's a marketing scam just like Dr Dre Beats If you look into it more you would understand that the quality of the product isn't anywhere as good as other (perhaps cheaper) options. Make a custom PC, look up newegg.com

21. sangara
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 23:35:51

A mid tower is your friend, I lugged mine in between 2 houses for almost 2 years and she's still kicking. Not to mention countless LAN parties and what not. Plus you can build a computer for cheaper, that's better. I'd bet that my current PC which was $1200 at the time could be built for around $500-600 easily.

22. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 01:07:50

Zombo wrote: why do you want a small computer? better to have more room for ventilation... especially if you live in california, thing will overheat
    Duuuuuude, one time my ABit monitoring software stuff had to shut down my computer because it was overheating because it was a hot day.

23. boshi
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 02:12:15

Mats wrote: And this is bad? lol
    LOL oops i meant more expensive. anyways. basically i want a high end computer that i can conveniently bring between houses. im fine with bringing the xbox around here and there. but i reaally don't want to bring a whole desktop with me. seeing how everyone is saying its bad, can someone suggest a case similar to that size? also for the overheating thing, couldn't i just l open the thing up while im playing?

24. NoRice4U
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 05:11:07

You're better off building your own and installing multiple fans

25. boshi
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 05:17:08

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/18/hands-on-with-the-alienware-x51 so everything is upgradable, even the power supply. and is heating that big of an issue if i take off the side?

26. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 05:17:52

atx is regular size i guess u want microatx but i dont see how the size of the tower matters, unless u dont have a car

27. boshi
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 05:25:21

Zombo wrote: atx is regular size i guess u want microatx but i dont see how the size of the tower matters, unless u dont have a car
    i go between houses atleast every other day. itd be nice to have something i could carry in a backpack. so besides the issue of heating, is there anything im missing in going for this vs normal big desktops?

28. Mats
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 08:13:19

boshi wrote: so besides the issue of heating, is there anything im missing in going for this vs normal big desktops?
    You get waaay more bang for your buck with a desktop vs this. And a laptop probably will be cheaper than an alienware computer. lol

29. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Jan 19 2012 17:04:13

boshi wrote: i go between houses atleast every other day. itd be nice to have something i could carry in a backpack. so besides the issue of heating, is there anything im missing in going for this vs normal big desktops?
    tbh for ur situation i think its better to play on the console and get a laptop for the rest