UPSB v4

Off-topic / Choose between these 2 laptops...

1. Twine
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:19:37

Absolute computer noob here with a quick question. I'm looking for a laptop for college but I want to be able to play a few games and what not on it as well just for the sake of it (think skyrim type graphics). Now With my budget I have come to these 2 laptops: Acer AS5755G: >15.6" >I5 core @ 2.4GHz >4gb RAM >750gb HDD >Nvidia 1gb graphics Or Toshiba Stelitte L750 >15.6" >Intel I7 core >4gb RAM >500gb HDD >nvidia 1gb graphics. Both are to exact same price. What should I get? Or do you have any other advice for me?

2. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:24:08

No clock speed on the second one? Well, if the clock speeds are roughly matched, or the second is on a few hundred Mhz slower, I would get the second. If you are only playing 'a few games' you won't need the extra 250 gigs of hard disk space, but you might appreciate the extra performance of the i7 processor. Although, looking at the specs for Skyrim (Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor minimum), you might struggle to play such games on these laptops.

3. Twine
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:29:37

Hmm scratch that... Found a different acer for a cheaper price. i7 quad core 4gb RAM 750gb HDD nvidia 2gb graphics. Should I get this?

4. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:33:03

Mats wrote: Although, looking at the specs for Skyrim (Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor minimum), you might struggle to play such games on these laptops.
    Dude. i7 has 4 cores.. Why do people act like laptops are still incapable of anything more than browsing the internet... IMO, it depends on what's more important to you. I'm not going to suggest that you'll notice the difference between an i5 and an i7, but if you're that keen on playing games then you might as well. But if you pirate a lot of media then 750 GB might be useful, but chances are if you can fill 750 GB, you're just hoarding files...(e.g. if you watch shows season by season, you probably won't need whatever else is taking up space on your HD)

5. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:34:37

Twine wrote: Hmm scratch that... Found a different acer for a cheaper price. i7 quad core 4gb RAM 750gb HDD nvidia 2gb graphics. Should I get this?
    That's quite intriguing that you were able to find that. But shit is expensive in your hemisphere so I guess not so much. Anyways, at least tell us the GPU.

6. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:36:50

Twine wrote: i7 quad core 4gb RAM 750gb HDD nvidia 2gb graphics. Should I get this?
    Erm... Yes!

7. UEDan
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:45:46

XYZaki wrote: Dude. i7 has 4 cores.. Why do people act like laptops are still incapable of anything more than browsing the internet...
    Man has a point. My girlfriend's middle of the road i3 out performs my 2GHz C2d Honestly I wouldn't pick any of these because: 1. Brand name, don't like #1 or #2, and what the fuck is #3? -I don't trust Toshiba, Acer(to me) isn't has bad but still at the lower end. 2. You giving us general specs. The nVidia card has 2GB worth of ram, what GPU is it? [B]Post some links to the the laptops you're looking at.[/B]

8. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 01:49:43

UEDan wrote: Man has a point. My girlfriend's middle of the road i3 out performs my 2GHz C2d Honestly I wouldn't pick any of these because: 1. Brand name, don't like #1 or #2, and what the fuck is #3? -I don't trust Toshiba, Acer(to me) isn't has bad but still at the lower end. 2. You giving us general specs. The nVidia card has 2GB worth of ram, what GPU is it? [B]Post some links to the the laptops you're looking at.[/B]
    I had an Acer and it worked perfectly fine and as fast as I expected, for 18 months (until my sister dropped it on concrete <_<).

9. Twine
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 03:28:36

Lol I bought it after talking with many shop assistants. Chances are I wont even game on it but if I want to, I'm sorted which is cool :). I got the laptop in my second post. Thanks for your contributions :D

10. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 04:29:46

i dont like big beefy portables, imo portables are meant to be ultraportable like 11/13" macbook-air type of deal

11. midniteferret
    Date: Sat, Jan 14 2012 05:00:17

Twine wrote: Hmm scratch that... Found a different acer for a cheaper price. i7 quad core 4gb RAM 750gb HDD nvidia 2gb graphics. Should I get this?
    Hell Yeah! For same price as a i5 that is pretty good!