UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / Thumbaround Harmonic

1. Eso
    Date: Wed, Jun 9 2010 04:09:52

Thumbaround Harmonic This a combo that has 2 tricks, Thumbaround Normal followed by a Thumbaround Reverse. The linking between the two tricks is a fluid motion with no delays. This is done by bouncing the pen off the index finger after the Thumbaround Normal. Some find this method easier than doing Thumbaround Reverse by itself. Some find this combo harder. The informal notation for this combo is: Thumbaround Normal > Thumbaround Reverse Use this thread to discuss the ThumbAround Harmonic. (Note: for the individual components, ThumbAound Normal and Reverse, check their separate threads.) Video Tutorial by KTrinh93

2. Soren
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 18:48:13

i love this trick, but i can do only about 5-30 before i fail it, any tips on how i can do it so that i can do it for how ever long i want?

3. PSProdigy
    Date: Thu, Jan 6 2011 00:19:03

can any help me i can do TA rev-> TA but then i cant go back. any tips

4. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jan 6 2011 00:21:26

Practice! That's really all it takes, also maybe look at how youre starting ands topping the trick try bouncing it back and forth rather than starting and stopping :]

5. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jan 6 2011 00:21:56

practice the individual tricks so that you are consistent with them, not only with being able to complete them, but each time the pen should be in the same position after the catch. TA rev is kinda tricky, so you probably have to practice that a bit more and have it feel comfortable.

6. juggalo666666
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 18:42:40

I cant do a reverse thumaround everytime I try to do it the pen/pencil goes flying. Can somebody explain how I can gain more control over the pen.

7. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Wed, Jan 26 2011 15:36:30

juggalo666666 wrote: I cant do a reverse thumaround everytime I try to do it the pen/pencil goes flying. Can somebody explain how I can gain more control over the pen.
    The TA rev. has its own thread... however, i taught 2 of my friends the TA rev. and they were pretty frustrated at first that they couldn't get it but after 4 days of practice now they both can do it. It's just a matter of practice. But if you can't do it after a long time practicing then you should practice in another way. See tutorials or post your own video so others can help you. If your problem is the TA harmonic then practice... and see tutorials and post your own video. thats all it takes. Sorry if my advise doesn't help you im a beginner 2...

8. Im-still-here
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 21:49:05

The Thumbaround Harmonic just came naturally for me. I would suggest for everyone learning this to just keep practicing, it will come to you as you practice. The only way to do it is to [B]practice, practice, practice![/B]

9. Harshul
    Date: Thu, Mar 17 2011 08:22:27

thats nice! ive learned it after 2 weeks!

10. pensp
    Date: Thu, Mar 17 2011 16:25:02

well i can do TA harmonic but the thing is I can't keep it cont.. perhaps 1-3harmonic at most. Any tips to attain cont. TA harmonic.. yes I know practice but I've been practising quite a lot already.. the control is there but is there any ways to get it cont?

11. Cloud
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 00:41:25

...what else can you say? its strictly practice if you say the control is there then you should have no problem doing it...

12. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 02:18:07

@pensp I had the same problem. Never figured it out for 1 year. Keep your TA's and Rev. completely horizontal (Especially when the middle and index finger pushes the pen). Try doing the TA's and Rev's such that it goes along the Node of the thumb. After your Middle finger pushes the pen to do the TA, Rest it on the side of the thumb at the node line (Same with the Index finger for the Rev part) so as to make it easier for the pen to stay along the node to keep the TA. Harmonic Cont. going and to keep the pen perfectly horizontal.

13. pensp
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 05:16:45

@hippo thanks! deeply appreciated.. perhaps I can do more cont. when I get bored of the lesson..

14. spinnar42
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 21:21:36

For those who are struggling with the Thumbaround Harmonic, here's my tutorial on it. Many people refer to it as "continuously spinning a pencil around the thumb back and forth" so I'll be teaching you by giving you the link. Please subscribe if you think it's good and spread the word about my channel! Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNljuuBbzY&feature=channel_video_title

15. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 22:22:15

http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=92 You should post you tutorial here or on the respective trick threads next time, saves space on the forum.

16. spinnar42
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 22:27:31

Oops sorry didn't see that...=(

17. Mufoofee
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 21:36:51

i can't really do the TA reverse. I need help with that i do it like once or twice before it falls off... The Harmonic

18. Escorpio123
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 03:42:14

On September 30th of 2009. [B]1st Part:[/B] [video=youtube;PcoTclrlttw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcoTclrlttw[/video] [B]2nd Part:[/B] [video=youtube;bWgdl06hgik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWgdl06hgik[/video] [B]3rd Part:[/B] [video=youtube;5ZS7VABSSeg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZS7VABSSeg[/video] DL for the ones that do not believe it. http://www.mediafire.com/file/m3wyy0ynljo/TA%20Harmonic%20Record..wmv

19. Bleevlee
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 03:45:12

W T F~!@!#

20. exclusive
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 04:39:29

is this a joke?

21. Escorpio123
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 04:42:31

exclusive wrote: is this a joke?
    ????

22. Dudak
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 04:45:28

is this a joke?

23. Escorpio123
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 04:48:12

Dudak wrote: is this a joke?
    Yeah, so what? Also, good personality you might have that you are copying a member's comment :facepalm:

24. Dudak
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 04:51:23

Good grammar ;)

25. Escorpio123
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 04:55:16

Dudak wrote: Good grammar ;)
    Thank you ^_^.

26. RicLu98
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 05:08:59

whoah was that really boring you were just sitting there doin ta harmonic xD

27. Olji
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 20:39:38

dont forget that he put on some epic music for that feat! thats awesome, kinda repetive to watch (lol) but still awesome as hell, you got good patience perhaps? ;D

28. lolful
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 14:01:54

[COLOR="yellowgreen"]Lol , at first i tot it was hard.. after learning TA rev.. i could do it within 1 min =,= LOL.. but if u all can't do it.. keyword is Practise.. or u can slowmo and see what u did wrong and get the feeling of the spin =D[/COLOR]

29. lolful
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 14:06:06

[COLOR="yellowgreen"]Lol , at first i tot it was hard.. after learning TA rev.. i could do it within 1 min =,= LOL.. but if u all can't do it.. keyword is Practise.. or u can slowmo and see what u did wrong and get the feeling of the spin =D:ninja:[/COLOR]

30. Velocity
    Date: Sun, May 15 2011 00:03:51

The way i practiced thumbaround harmonic and TA rev at the same time was start with the TA then do a TA rev after i got pretty decent at doing that i tried to do TA rev by itself

31. lewistanjx
    Date: Mon, May 16 2011 02:04:09

Hi i can do a TA rev -> TA can't do it cont from TA -> TA rev i need pause for like .5sec before I can do a TA rev if not the pen will fly out

32. neumee500
    Date: Tue, May 17 2011 00:40:37

i'm having trouble with my new RSVP MX for the harmonic because of the balance. any tips?

33. BboyEnGee
    Date: Sun, May 22 2011 16:29:03

the balance, you just kind of have to get used to it, just try your best to find the center of balance and work your way from there, soon enough, you wont be worrying about the c.o.b too much :D

34. Nadhif
    Date: Tue, May 24 2011 09:52:02

A bit hard when I learned it, now i'm getting the hang of it.. ^^

35. Nathan U/IPSB
    Date: Wed, May 25 2011 09:03:19

this is one of the easiest trick iv ever learned..

36. Huin
    Date: Thu, May 26 2011 04:29:10

Start with Ta Rev not Ta

37. peninja
    Date: Thu, May 26 2011 06:03:28

i dunno why but i cant get it to bounde off after the BAK

38. MUSIIX
    Date: Thu, May 26 2011 06:10:56

@neumee500, there are 2 ways. 1. Add some extra weight like grips and such. 2. You can try doing it in a different spot. Hope it helped!

39. Soren
    Date: Thu, May 26 2011 17:00:55

IMO this is a great trick to do during school using a normal pen

40. yoppi000
    Date: Fri, May 27 2011 01:35:13

does any1 hav a video i can use 4 this??? :P

41. Fl0wingfire
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 04:13:59

Go look it up on youtube Oh wait I already did it for you =_=" [video=youtube;ONaX4YQRNR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaX4YQRNR8[/video]

42. Gezus
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 01:19:45

The simplest advice I can give you is: do a thumb around, where your pen is positioned (should be the lower half of the pen), is where you wanna do your reverse thumb around, it's easier momentum and weight distribution. Haha that's actually the only way I can personally find the spot myself xD then imagine your pulling the trigger of a gun or scratching the side of your thumb. With enough practice you'll get it easy :p hope this helped --Gezus

43. Forest
    Date: Sat, Aug 6 2011 12:19:25

the way i learned it was instead of catching the pen in a regular thumbaround catch (or watever u call it) i catch it in the position that you in which u start the thumbaround rev. (sorry if this is confusing but that's how i did it...=_=)

44. kungfumaster1111
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 06:30:15

i can do thumbaround pretty good, but thumbaround rev seems impossible and thumbaround harmonic seems even more impossible :[

45. Kari
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 06:50:33

kungfumaster1111 wrote: i can do thumbaround pretty good, but thumbaround rev seems impossible and thumbaround harmonic seems even more impossible :[
    Try this: Rest your pen on the side of your index and middle finger with the index finger curled. Place your thumb above the middle finger on the top side of the pen. Now you will pull your index finger Towards your thumb while at the same time giving the pen a little push with your middle finger. Your index finger should remain curled at all times. You need very little movement to do this. So index finger moves Towards your thumb while middle finger moves away from your thumb. Oh and don't forget that you push with the side of your index finger, not the tip of it. I really hope it helps. If not let me know and I will see if I can make a video to help. ^_^

46. kungfumaster1111
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 06:57:04

thanks :D im working at it right now at first i thought i was supposed to push with tip of index:P

47. Kari
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 07:38:23

Just keep working at it and never give up. ^_^

48. kungfumaster1111
    Date: Sun, Oct 9 2011 06:25:36

thanks!!! :DDD i kinda got it now

49. Kari
    Date: Sun, Oct 9 2011 17:04:15

You're welcome. That was thumb around reverse. The hard part is going into ta after the reverse. You'll want to keep your index finger curled the entire time. Just practice, after the ta rev, to push the pen right away with your middle finger to do a ta. This trick comes in steps: knowing ta, ta rev, ta rev > ta, ta > ta rev. If you can do all four of those you should be able to do ta harmonic. In the beginning you won't be able to hold the ta harmonic long but with practice you should be able to keep it going as long as you want. ^_^

50. Desertifikation
    Date: Thu, Oct 13 2011 08:54:32

it´s very easy

51. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Oct 14 2011 04:21:49

Desertifikation wrote: it´s very easy
    It's easy when you got it. :P

52. tom19
    Date: Mon, Oct 17 2011 02:43:08

maybe you can try to use your middle finger to push the pen after the thumbaround reverse.:thumb:

53. Kari
    Date: Mon, Oct 17 2011 16:41:19

tom19 wrote: maybe you can try to use your middle finger to push the pen after the thumbaround reverse.:thumb:
    That is how you are supposed to do it. ^_^

54. Redlig
    Date: Tue, Oct 18 2011 01:08:36

I started working on it today can get a like 3-5 before I drop it I'm just trying to get it smooth and start slow then go faster but god is it hard to do it and it look good

55. Kari
    Date: Tue, Oct 18 2011 02:58:58

Redlig wrote: I started working on it today can get a like 3-5 before I drop it I'm just trying to get it smooth and start slow then go faster but god is it hard to do it and it look good
    At least you can do it. That is the hardest part. Now just comes the practice over and over until you get it smooth and can keep it going longer. ^_^

56. Redlig
    Date: Tue, Oct 18 2011 03:23:14

I know but I don't quit get it maybe I'm doing it wrong I don't really use my Middle finger for the reverse...mostly just my pointer tonight I tried it more and seem to somewhat lost it ugh frustrating I think I'm going to go back to just the revers and reg thumb around sometime I get it so well and other it files away...messed up a good chess game too what I get for multi tasking

57. Kari
    Date: Tue, Oct 18 2011 03:31:06

Redlig wrote: I know but I don't quit get it maybe I'm doing it wrong I don't really use my Middle finger for the reverse...mostly just my pointer tonight I tried it more and seem to somewhat lost it ugh frustrating I think I'm going to go back to just the revers and reg thumb around sometime I get it so well and other it files away...messed up a good chess game too what I get for multi tasking
    Well I can guarantee you it is easier if you do the ta with your middle finger. Doing it with the index finger can be done but it really is more movement than you want. Just try it while doing the ta with your middle finger and see how it feels. It should feel better too.

58. neowulf
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 21:03:29

The funny thing is that I can actually do it better when I'm not looking at it xD When I look at it and try to watch myself, I think I over think it, and then it totally falls apart. Strange how that works... But I think a lot of it has to do with that whole "muscle memory" thing, which is cool :) It definitely just seems like a practice thing, because eventually you'll get to the point of being consistent, which I think I'm finally managing. After you're consistent, then I believe it'll smooth out and look both pretty and fluid. :D I used to do a lot of card manipulation, and a lot of that was both practicing a ton and starting out slow. That was a big key I think. Starting out slow lets your hand or hands (depending on if we're talking card or pen manipulation :P) get accustomed to the motions. I know that I've heard that advice a lot, no matter the subject, and it's totally quite fitting.

59. Eternity
    Date: Sat, Feb 11 2012 04:17:05

I can do TA rev > TA pretty well, now trying to do TA > TA rev. ^^

60. Dimension
    Date: Sat, Feb 11 2012 23:49:17

eternal_fiction wrote: I can do TA rev > TA pretty well, now trying to do TA > TA rev. ^^
    I found TA rev> TA much easier than TA rev> TA lol

61. Karrot
    Date: Sun, Feb 12 2012 03:01:16

Dimension wrote: I found TA rev> TA much easier than TA rev> TA lol
    Me too lol

62. Alex
    Date: Sun, Jul 22 2012 20:05:41

TA harmonic took me so long to learn when i was learning it I though that only double jointed people could do it but i was wrong Ooops i revived old thread sorry

63. Nemory
    Date: Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:33:07

oh so this call thumbaround harmonic? i can do it but i didn't know it's name. know i know it, thanks!!!

64. 20%
    Date: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:31:33

Yeap thats what its called nemory i call it Sanbaraundo Hamonikku!~ (JEB feel ftw)

65. Nemory
    Date: Sat, Jan 5 2013 14:03:12

wow ^^! cool name!!! but is it too long? oh hey SwitchPalm how do you call the devil's sonic in Japanese? can u tell me?

66. 20%
    Date: Sat, Jan 5 2013 23:19:04

Derburuzu sonikku Lol quite long if you dunno how to say it

67. Nemory
    Date: Sun, Jan 6 2013 03:43:59

ya it's very long.

68. Tommy
    Date: Tue, Jan 8 2013 01:36:20

legendary trick

69. ForTheWynn
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 21:26:59

I can do the TA reverse and normal separately, but have trouble linking them together in one fluid motion, without having to stop and rearrange my fingers around the pen. Anyone also have this problem/know how to overcome it?

70. Giotto
    Date: Fri, Feb 8 2013 15:24:29

@ForTheWynn perhaps try to stop in it the position that you can do the TA reverse before it go in full motion of your TA normal.hope this help.

71. Escorpio123
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 10:46:12

ForTheWynn wrote: I can do the TA reverse and normal separately, but have trouble linking them together in one fluid motion, without having to stop and rearrange my fingers around the pen. Anyone also have this problem/know how to overcome it?
    Watch my video [video=youtube;TkWVJ_WKsyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkWVJ_WKsyM[/video] You notice something? It is not really the full TA and the full TA REV. In TA Harmonic, TA and the TA REV are not rotating for 1 revolution each, it is half way and that is so the momentum and the rhythm keeps going :thumb:. Hope it helps. It can also be done with 1 revolution each but it doesnt look too cool lol.

72. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 9 2013 13:06:51

@Escorpio123 - Could you get Indexaround Harmonic that good? :hmm:

73. asianguy
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 13:42:04

I am trying to do the TA harmonic after I have done TA normal and reverse. The thing is that when I do the reverse, it ends in the starting position of the reverse instead of the normal.(that is resting on 2 with 1 on side and T on top) This makes it impossible to do the harmonic obviously. How can I make the pen end in the right position?

74. Reason
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 14:35:24

when you do the ta rev, have your index finger prepared on the inner side of your thumb. this sounds weird, but when ta harmonic is done correctly the ta in it is just a quick tap. you dont even get the pen in the ta position after the ta rev. this is the video i learned it from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAuaCrC5YU i hope this helps

75. Tommy
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 22:09:02

Try doing it as slow as possible, it will give you more control over the pen

76. XenoGeneiken
    Date: Wed, Feb 20 2013 04:09:12

I can't even do the TA rev yet, I guess it'll take me some time before I can start doing the TA harmonic.

77. Zelphus
    Date: Wed, Feb 20 2013 22:35:41

I cant explain how to do it,but when you mastered this trick ,yoy only need the index finger and the thumb to perform this trick.

78. mathnerdm
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 04:29:59

I know this question has probably been touched on hundreds of times, but I feel like I'd be good to specify my problem in detail. I started spinning yesterday and learned the normal TR and have it to where I can do it without any problem. But then I tried the thumb around reverse (so I could ultimately learn the harmonic) and I can do it much easier if I go straight from a thumb around to the reverse but the problem is I have trouble doing it without a short pause for minor readjustments. I see youtube videos of people who really only move their index and middle finger and it seems like it's impossible to get it down that well. Any tips to doing the harmonic with less of a pause? And possibly tips on how to practice it and the reverse. Thanks and appreciate the help!

79. Demetrius
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 04:36:34

-Doing it right now/Failing at it- I see one of the problems you might be having. he pen is probably under your index finger after you do a regular TA, causing you to do some adjustments to get that Thumbaround reverse. In tutorials for regular TA, they may say snap the pen down with your index finer(aka cover up he pen with your index finger) causing it to be on top of the pen instead of parallel to it to do the TA reverse. Hoped this helps. BTW, watch more slow-mo videos of it and just copy "study" them and keep practicing it.

80. mathnerdm
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 04:40:52

Appreciate the quick reply! My first thread on this forum and really glad I'm already being helped! You know, I had the suspicion I was doing that and needed to keep my index finger more still and bent opposed to extending it and then closing it on top like you mentioned. Kinda scary you knew exactly what I was doing lol. Gonna be tough to change since I've been doing it that way all of a day but I'll be working on it! Any other tips anybody could throw at me would be much obliged!

81. Apocalyptic Shadows
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 05:16:40

Actually I find it much easier for continuous TA reverse>TA than TA>TA reverse because I can immediately push the pen back when it touches my middle finger. I guess for your problem to reach effortlessness it has to come from practice and try to make sure after the TA your fingers are immediately positioned for a push back by the index. :)

82. mathnerdm
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 05:36:39

Well what I've been doing on the TA is after I push the pen, I move my index out and almost immediately curl it back for the reverse. What I've noticed is lots of people immediately curl their index finger right after the first TA, but is that necessary or can I use the way I'm doing it now? As of now, I can actually somewhat often do a TA

83. Stymphalian
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 05:43:01

if you move your index finger out after doing the TA too much, it will hinder your speed of connecting to the TA reverse. Generally when I do it, I start the with TA, and move my index to catch the pen and push it down to the TA reverse immediately. Then my index pretty much just stays in the same position for the repeated Harmonic.

84. akshay
    Date: Sun, May 12 2013 11:52:28

oh hey. you just need practice. i also thought like this . you can do it after a while by only using index and mid finger. PM me if you have any doubt. :D

85. mathnerdm
    Date: Wed, May 15 2013 04:21:43

Just an update on my progress (as if anybody really cares lol :D) but thanks to all the help I've actually picked it up and found most of my problems were due to my index finger movement after the normal TA and after I started keeping it still tucked in it made all the difference almost immediately. Now my habit is to still throw it out and lock it out but that's just a matter of re-training my finger so no biggie there. Again, appreciate all the tips!

86. Stymphalian
    Date: Wed, May 15 2013 05:35:14

that's great to hear! Keep spinning :D

87. akshay
    Date: Sat, May 18 2013 13:41:51

Keep practicing everyone and it will be fluid in no time!

88. Llama
    Date: Tue, Jun 4 2013 15:00:31

One way to practice is too use hand movement. However, do not get too reliant on it

89. Sheriff
    Date: Wed, Jul 10 2013 17:51:41

I can't seem to decide if it's easier to do the thumbaround pushing off with my middle-finger, or pointer-finger, after a thumbaround reverse. So that I can infinitely repeat it, it seems easier to do a thumbaround with my pointer-finger because I find it easier to catch it in that position and fluidly chain to a thumbaround. If I catch with middle-finger as the pusher, I'd have to readjust a little before doing the thumbaround, and that makes it seem not fluid. Since I just learned to do the Thumbaround Reverse, I'm not 100% yet on being able to catch it EXACTLY how I want to in front of my middle-finger.. (I always wrote off the thumbaround reverse as impossible years ago, finally got around to learning it.. xD) Though my pointer-finger feels weird/tired if I do back/forth thumbarounds using just my pointer >_<