UPSB v4

Member Introductions / New spinner's introduction/general questions

1. EINTKALILFG
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 10:44:04

So, let me start off by saying hello to everyone. In terms of registration, I'm very new to UPSB but in reality, I've been lurking about the boards since my first day of pen spinning. I finally decided it was time to create an account and get in on the action. I'm a 28 year old spinner from the USA and have been spinning for just over four months. After watching Goldeneye years ago, I was always intrigued and fascinated watching Boris spin his pen while "working" and now, years later, it struck me to hit up YouTube to see if this was an established thing and if so, if there were any tutorials. With a bit of luck, I came across Ktrinh93's tutorials and was instantly hooked. Fast forward to four months later (almost to the day... Gotta love the "history" option on the Android browser) I've learned a lot and have some questions as to where to go from here. I've been using a BICtory but I truly despised the thin barrel and just received a Metal Commsa for Christmas as an "upgrade." I also received a Flying Panda but that's a down-the-road kind of thing since everything I've read suggests that using anything heavier than a BICtory or Metal Commsa for the first year or so is taboo and a guarantee to fuck up your "style." So, now that I've written about as lengthy of an introduction as could possibly be necessary, I have a few questions: Below is a list of the singular tricks I've learned, and by learned I mean anything that if a person walked up to me right now and asked if I could do it, I would feel comfortable answering "yes" and would be able to prove it. • Thumbaround (regular and reverse) • Sonic (regular and reverse, palm up and down) • Charge (regular, palm up and down and at least two/three solid revolutions in reverse, palm up only) • Finger Pass (not OVERLY fast but smooth) • Warped Sonic (palm up and down) • Twisted Sonic (palm up and down) • Twisted Sonic Bust and Double Bust • Flush Sonic (normal, middle, and ring) • Inverted Sonic (palm up and down) • Demon's Sonic (palm up and down) • Devil's Around (34 > 34) • Shadow (All finger slots though I'm having trouble exchanging slots ie 23 > 34) • Double Charge (23 > 12 very well, 34 > 23 I can do but its ugly) My questions are these: 1. Should I be concerning myself with learning harder tricks (Hai Tua, Pun Kan etc...) at this point in time or should I be more concerned with linkages? 2. How important is flexibility and finger strength at this point in time? I spend a good deal of time stretching my pinky because it just seems like its such a necessary finger in the grand scheme of things and it was feeling rather defective a month or so ago. Should I be dedicating as much time as I am (around 2 or so hours a day) stretching that one finger? 3.* I may be way off on this one but is there a regional difference in style? When I watch videos, I tend to prefer spinners that have a bit more flow and rhythm as opposed to blistering speed. Is there a particular name for this style our is it just spinner preference? 4. Now, I don't typically put much stock into the overflowing idiocy that is YouTube comments but I see this a whole lot: Is there any correlation between age and an inability to properly progress in pen spinning? Being that I'm starting my pen spinning "career" at the age of 28, is it possible that I've passed the point where I can reasonably become very good at it due to age-related physical reasons? Sorry for being so long-winded in my first post. Really, its just a desire to go about things the "right" way and advance efficiently. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback. I look forward to progressing and growing with the lot of you!

2. Enkronidus
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 11:13:49

It should be posted in this section here, actually. http://forum.upsb.info/forumdisplay.php?f=8 But :welcome:, moderators will do the job when they see, don't worry. :) 1. You should learn some more kinds of tricks like Wipers or Arounds, and also Extended ThumbAround if you haven't learnt that already. 2. I never really care about flexibility, personally. Been spinning for almost 4 years and I never do any finger exercises. o_O Just let it be, I think. And at your point of time, I don't think it's important yet. 3. Yes, of course. Each region spins differently. The most popular ones at the moment are power tricks from THPSC[Thailand] and stylish spinning from JEB[Japan]. But if you look for the true beauty and originality, you might care to look for korean style. But of course, everybody has their own definition for beauty. 4. I think when you grow older, your fingers become less flexible. But it shouldn't affect the spinning that much, so it's okay. The more important thing is the time you use to practice. Good luck and hope you enjoy Pen Spinning as much as we do! You can ask me if you have any more questions, I'd glady help if I can.

3. Chobi
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 13:59:35

:welcome: I've never seen an intro this long in a while! 1. Hmm, imo you should start learning the Backaround and it's variations, Korean Bak, Middle/Ring/Pinkybak, etc. 2. As Enkro said, i also don't care about finger flexibility because imo it doesn't really help. That's just my experience, but others' differ. 3. Yup, there's a distinct difference between style in various regions, Thai and Jap like what Enkro said, but style varies a lot in the European spinners, from what i've seen. 4. I really have no idea how to answer this, i'm 16. There's David Weiss who's in his late 30s(i think? i hope my stock knowledge doesn't fail me)

Enkronidus wrote: But if you look for the true beauty and originality, you might care to look for korean style.
    I love you for saying this

4. Gash
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 15:04:13

Welcome to UPSB. Lmao I learned Hai Tua at 2 months because I thought it looked awesome. And how wrong I was >__> Spent the entire two months only practicing Hai Tuas. As your experience with pen spinning increases, you begin to learn new tricks faster. Different people with different styles carry out finger exercises. Here's a video you have to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLg28L9jCgg I don't know if fire@fox does finger exercises though or if he was born like that. It's a bit freaky, but if you have ring finger independency you can carry out tricks such as Inverse Sonic 34-23 or Flush Sonic Variations much easier.

5. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 15:25:56

Age means almost nothing. 28 and 18 there is little difference.

6. Soren
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 15:37:00

Welcome to UPSB, glad you've finally decided to create an account, hope you enjoy it here :) And i must say, what a great introduction. :) I think you should practise both new linkages and harder tricks. If the harder tricks seems impossible to do, then stop and keep practicing new linkages or new simpler tricks =] Finger strength and flexibility shouldn't be too much of a problem when it comes to learning tricks and linkages.

7. Kari
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 19:11:19

I believe they have said everything I would have said so I'll post here with a simple... :welcome: Hope you enjoy UPSB. ^_^

8. Hahnda
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 21:24:48

Welcome to UPSB

9. EINTKALILFG
    Date: Sat, Dec 31 2011 05:27:42

Thanks for the great responses everyone. Realistically, I should be thanking everyone for the overwhelming wealth of useful information in every aspect of this site. Hopefully soon I'll be getting my hands on a good camera and can start recording my progress. @ Gash - I'm very interested on developing that freakish ring finger flexibility. I'm lucky enough to have an overnight supervisor's job where, out of an eight hour shift, I really only have about three to four hours of work to do in any given night so if you have any tips or specific finger exercises that can help me to develop that, I would be much obliged. Time is something I have an abundance of so I like to use it wisely. @ Enkronidus and Chobi - As far as tricks I'm in the process of learning, the Bak and MidBak I'm proficient at but I wouldn't classify them as fully learned yet and I've started working ob the extended Thumbaround as well. Wipers are next on my list.

10. Knight
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 09:08:31

WELCOME TO UPSB! :3