UPSB v4

Off-topic / The Keyboard Thread

1. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:20:23

What (mechanical) keyboard do you use for your computer? I'm currently testing three keyboards: The BlackWidow Ultimate, the Steelseries 6gv2 and the Das Ultimate Silent. Don't like the blue as much as the cherry brown and black. My main usage is typing and tetris.

2. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:28:55

"I feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars just to play tetris"

3. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:37:17

XYZaki wrote: "I feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars just to play tetris"
    its $100, not hundreds

4. gyrobius
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:40:15

Zombo wrote: its $100, not hundreds
    I had to laugh. I found this old keyboard that we used to use 10 years ago. I actually like it a lot.

5. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:42:35

Zombo wrote: its $100, not hundreds
    Each of those keyboards is about $100, and if you're testing them all that means you spent more than $100.

6. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:43:11

and the average lifespan of a keyboard for me is like 1-2 years, so i'm hoping i can buy something that can last at least 7-8 years. it's a decent investment. @XYZaki I'm obviously going to return the ones I don't want and pick only 1

7. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:48:58

Why not get a virtual laser keyboard?

8. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:57:25

thats terrible, no tactile feedback, i hat typing on the ipod/pad it would feel like that

9. Yanos
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 17:58:44

^

10. Tetsip
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 18:01:29

DAS KEYBOARDS. omg. my brother has the ultimate silent one and its not as good and satisfying as the CLICKITY CLACK CLACK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK <3 i love Das

11. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 18:19:40

Das Ultimate. I have not regretted spending the $120 at all, and it gives great tactile feedback, and the 6 key rollover is pretty good compared to the 2 key rollover of my old stock keyboard. I'd recommend the Das Ultimate Silent if you prefer cherry brown over blue. The black keys on the 6gv2 are decent, but the actual layout of the 6gv2 is pretty weird for me. I don't like how the backslash key is right next to the forward slash key. Regardless, CLACK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLACK

12. RicLu98
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 18:20:09

laptop keyboard lolol i think i damaged the space bar from playing so much tetris lololol

13. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 18:26:56

I use a normal Blackwidow, I've tried mechanical keyboards before and the more compact and smaller nature of the keys allows for faster typing and is rather comfortable to use. Problem being it's now impossible not to annoy everyone in the entire house with "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" constantly. Though I do only push the keys down at half press now rather than it being super loud when I was used to rubber domes. It's cheaper than the Das, has macros AND LOOKS LIKE IT IS FROM THE FUTURE.

14. neXus
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 19:46:24

I like my Das.

15. Ohayo
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:00:50

I'm currently using the black widow ultimate because of pretty lights. My only regret about buying a mechanical keyboard is I can't ever type on a regular keyboard at school. Feels weird as shit. Also the macro keys on the side kinda makes the keys smaller compared to other keyboards.

16. sangara
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 23:31:47

Just got the G110 from Logitech. Loving it.

17. Pen Ninja
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 23:51:45

Windows on-screen keyboard ftw!

18. Biji
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 00:18:49

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide Also, some people I know tell me they don't like typing that much on with black switches

19. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 03:44:59

return that blackwidow, i'm dead serious, no NKRO, why are you paying so much for it? doesnt exactly look good either if you like the black switches on 6GV2, might as well go for that but i really dislike the typing on blacks. DAS seems to be the best have you ever considered filco or leopold? went for a red switched leopold about a month ago and i'm loving it :p

20. Chobi
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 06:09:37

Had the Tt Esports MEKA G-Unit for a while, sold it to my friend since i needed cash. Right now i'm using a Tt Challenger Pro since i got this for free lol

21. SJ
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 06:13:22

wait... so i dont get this "mechanical keyboard" thing you dont have to press as hard since it still registers after you press a little bit how do you control the amount of strength? wouldnt it be easier to just press it all the way down like on normal keyboards? seems like there will be a greater margin of error for these type of keyboards than regular ones. but ive never used one, so i wouldnt know lol

22. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 06:20:41

My mom got a new computer with a chiclet keyboard for Christmas. It is a nightmare to type on. Anyways... Does anyone use the generic Lenovo keyboards? I like them.

23. Chobi
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 14:44:03

On a completely unrelated note, Sister_R uses a Filco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQETKJAsKDo

24. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 17:08:21

SJ wrote: wait... so i dont get this "mechanical keyboard" thing you dont have to press as hard since it still registers after you press a little bit how do you control the amount of strength? wouldnt it be easier to just press it all the way down like on normal keyboards? seems like there will be a greater margin of error for these type of keyboards than regular ones. but ive never used one, so i wouldnt know lol
    Well with typical keyboards, being required to press all the way down means that you need to make sure that you press every key with a rather large amount of force. Sometimes if you type really fast (100+ wpm average) you won't have enough time to press the key all the way down and you might accidentally just tap the key slightly. With typical keyboards, that means the key doesn't register at all. But, with mechanical keyboards, the key still registers. The margin of error is actually the opposite then. Typical keyboards require you to press the key with a maximum amount of strength, but mechanical keyboards don't require that. As long as you press the key hard enough so that it moves ever so slightly, it registers. Since you don't have to press the key all the way down with mechanical keyboards, you won't have to worry about a key not registering. Also, another advantage of mechanical keyboards over typical rubber-dome keyboards is key rollover, which is how many keys you can press simultaneously. When you type really fast, you can sometimes hit 2 keys at the same time. With typical keyboards (well, at least with my old one), neither of the 2 keys will register. However, a lot of mechanical keyboards allow you to press up to 6 keys at a time and they'll all register (6KRO). There are also models of mechanical keyboards that allow you to press every single key at the same time, and they'll all register (NKRO). One last point is that mechanical keyboards are just physically built better than cheap rubber-dome keyboards. My sister once spilled juice over my old rubber-dome, and half the keys ended up getting stuck every time I press it, even after cleaning it thoroughly. This doesn't happen with mechanical keyboards. [B]TL;DR[/B] Mechanical keyboards don't hinder your typing. If you don't type fast or don't play games, it's not worth the investment.

25. SJ
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 21:09:11

Loanshark wrote: Also, another advantage of mechanical keyboards over typical rubber-dome keyboards is key rollover, which is how many keys you can press simultaneously. When you type really fast, you can sometimes hit 2 keys at the same time. With typical keyboards (well, at least with my old one), neither of the 2 keys will register. However, a lot of mechanical keyboards allow you to press up to 6 keys at a time and they'll all register (6KRO). There are also models of mechanical keyboards that allow you to press every single key at the same time, and they'll all register (NKRO).[B]TL;DR[/B] Mechanical keyboards don't hinder your typing. If you don't type fast or don't play games, it's not worth the investment.
    thats interesting. so you intentionally press keys simultaneously to type faster or it just happens unintentionally?

26. VendettaBF
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 23:41:36

how do you guys clean the brown grease on you keyboard and how often do you do it?

27. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 23:47:54

dont think i ever done it, i usually just use a air spray can to blow up the dust

28. VendettaBF
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 01:43:00

i'm not talking about about dusts... i'm talking about the brown grease stuck on your keyboard... unless we're talking about the same thing, but calling it stuff diferently

29. Loanshark
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 04:02:02

SJ wrote: thats interesting. so you intentionally press keys simultaneously to type faster or it just happens unintentionally?
    Nah, not intentionally. Sometimes when I type really fast, I accidentally press keys simultaneously.

30. neXus
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 04:17:03

Loanshark wrote: Nah, not intentionally. Sometimes when I type really fast, I accidentally press keys simultaneously.
    It's also good for games. With my old Logitech keyboard I could not hit all 4 arrows at the same time in StepMania (keys were QWER) or certain combinations of notes in Guitar Hero (F1+F2+F4 for example didn't work) and I think I remember having trouble doing a certain thing in a Need for Speed game but I can't recall what was the problem, I just knew my computer didn't register all the keys I was pressing.

31. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Dec 31 2011 23:28:18

neXus wrote: It's also good for games. With my old Logitech keyboard I could not hit all 4 arrows at the same time in StepMania (keys were QWER) or certain combinations of notes in Guitar Hero (F1+F2+F4 for example didn't work) and I think I remember having trouble doing a certain thing in a Need for Speed game but I can't recall what was the problem, I just knew my computer didn't register all the keys I was pressing.
    wtf. I could press all the keys down in SM with my old Dell keyboard. Maybe you need a cheaper keyboard.

32. Vassenato
    Date: Sat, Dec 31 2011 23:37:16

i just use a really old keyboard that came with an e-machines computer. hasn't failed me yet.

33. neXus
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 03:34:33

XYZaki wrote: wtf. I could press all the keys down in SM with my old Dell keyboard. Maybe you need a cheaper keyboard.
    Dell keyboards are actually known to be very good. lol

34. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 04:27:19

neXus wrote: Dell keyboards are actually known to be very good. lol
    They're also <$20

35. taichi1082
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 13:35:47

Leopold Otaku Tenkeyless /w Cherry MX Blue switches http://twitpic.com/73mck0/full

36. SJ
    Date: Tue, Mar 20 2012 09:59:08

ok im kinda stuck here. i wanna get a mechanical keyboard to try it out... BW ultimate or DAS Ultimate silent? i think id like the silent ones more than clickity clack. also DAS doesnt have media keys eh? hmm... does anyone know if I can try any of these keyboard at a store in USA? i gotta say tho, the BW ultimate is slightly more audibly pleasing to me

37. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Mar 20 2012 14:28:51

ultime iss cherry blue silent is cherry brown i like brown better, cant stand sound of blue media keys are useless imo but they are not there bw ultimate is cherry blue i believe

38. juggalo666666
    Date: Tue, Mar 20 2012 14:37:22

sangara wrote: Just got the G110 from Logitech. Loving it.
    Logitech makes great computer accesories.

39. SJ
    Date: Tue, Mar 20 2012 17:58:08

Zombo wrote: ultime iss cherry blue silent is cherry brown i like brown better, cant stand sound of blue media keys are useless imo but they are not there bw ultimate is cherry blue i believe
    well, i want media keys cuz i use the volume change button often and which one did you end up keeping? i think BW ultimate is cherry brown... maybe its the BW ultimate stealth one edit: ok jk, bw ultimate is cherry blue hahahaa but i saw this video and it sounds pretty nice for a cherry blue! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA71Y1jttSc ultimate stealth is too pricey -_- $140 lol

40. Biji
    Date: Tue, Mar 20 2012 20:19:25

SJ wrote: well, i want media keys cuz i use the volume change button often and which one did you end up keeping? i think BW ultimate is cherry brown... maybe its the BW ultimate stealth one edit: ok jk, bw ultimate is cherry blue hahahaa but i saw this video and it sounds pretty nice for a cherry blue! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA71Y1jttSc ultimate stealth is too pricey -_- $140 lol
    Razer keyboards are kinda low quality imo if you use it a lot then they keys just wear down and you're left with a transparent circle in the middle of the keycap also, those macro keys on the side really screw me over, and most of the people I know who own one just pull them out

41. SJ
    Date: Wed, Mar 21 2012 06:13:52

ya i might just get das ultimate silent ... via education program discount on their website i wanna see what @Zombo has to say about this

42. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 21 2012 16:31:10

SJ wrote: well, i want media keys cuz i use the volume change button often and which one did you end up keeping? i think BW ultimate is cherry brown... maybe its the BW ultimate stealth one edit: ok jk, bw ultimate is cherry blue hahahaa but i saw this video and it sounds pretty nice for a cherry blue! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA71Y1jttSc ultimate stealth is too pricey -_- $140 lol
    I use a DAS ultimate silent My brother uses a BW ultimate

43. SJ
    Date: Wed, Mar 21 2012 20:02:32

how do u like both? quality? feel? im guessing bw ultimate is more clicky for sure lol ultimate silent has the letters on the keyboard right?

44. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 03:51:53

no, DAS ultimate has no letters BW ultimate does however I don't like BW ultimate because of cherry blue DAS ultimate is awesome, cherry brown

45. SJ
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 06:32:15

well according to das website, the silent version has letters das ultimate has no letters das silent does

46. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:32:32

SJ wrote: well according to das website, the silent version has letters das ultimate has no letters das silent does
    das ultimate silent has no letters.

47. SJ
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:52:51

oh i guess youre right... now im confused whats the diff between ultimate silent and professional silent?

48. neXus
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:57:48

ultimate no letters professional letters

49. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 13:08:57

ultimate means no letters silent means cherry brown

50. Chobi
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 14:37:17

@Zombo can you recommend me any keyboard with cherry blue aside from das and razer BW? i am not liking the 6Gv2 i won in some tourney

51. exclusive
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 16:28:34

my school threw away couple black aps dell keyboards

52. sarugio
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 17:36:16

LOL i don't realy care about what keyboard i use. i only care about the mouse and the headset. sad i don't have enough money to buy a good mouse for gaming. and the current headset i use is sennheiser hd 202 well not to bad for gaming and realy good for music such as dubstep genre

53. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 22:16:41

Chobi wrote: @Zombo can you recommend me any keyboard with cherry blue aside from das and razer BW? i am not liking the 6Gv2 i won in some tourney
    Filco Rosewill Ducky Leopold are some of the major keyboard manufacturers

54. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 01:34:54

If these mechanical keyboards are any good, I think I'm going to invest in a PLU ML 87, it seems to be a mid tier keyboard. It comes in the perfect shade of pink, it's smaller than my current keyboard, leaving room for a mousepad, and the clicky sound would be nice to hear while playing stepmania.

55. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 01:45:01

XYZaki wrote: If these mechanical keyboards are any good, I think I'm going to invest in a PLU ML 87, it seems to be a mid tier keyboard. It comes in the perfect shade of pink, it's smaller than my current keyboard, leaving room for a mousepad, and the clicky sound would be nice to hear while playing stepmania.
    looks like some chinese ripoff, probably cheap though so can't hurt if you want small kbs, go with tenkeyless

56. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 01:49:01

Zombo wrote: looks like some chinese ripoff, probably cheap though so can't hurt if you want small kbs, go with tenkeyless
    They're only $50 on taobao. And I don't think there are any tenkeyless that are pink. Color is the first requirement for anything to supplant my current keyboard.

57. taichi1082
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 02:01:22

XYZaki wrote: Color is the first requirement
    :D Get a KBC Poker 40%, spray the board and the keycaps pink! Seriously though, the Poker is one of the smallest keyboard at the moment and it's about 70$~ I'm probably buying one as well soon

58. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 02:06:15

taichi1082 wrote: :D Get a KBC Poker 40%, spray the board and the keycaps pink! Seriously though, the Poker is one of the smallest keyboard at the moment and it's only 70$~ I'm probably buying one as well soon
    up arrow is the right shift ewwww

59. taichi1082
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 02:10:13

Looking at the layout, I really don't see any reason why they needed to make the right shift key so long. Damn ansi layout. /EDIT: Oh, nvmd. Right shift has the same size in iso. Ugh..

60. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 02:12:52

taichi1082 wrote: Looking at the layout, I really don't see any reason why they needed to make the right shift key so long. Damn ansi layout. /EDIT: Oh, nvmd. Right shift has the same size in iso. Ugh..
    that keyboard would be horrible to play RPG games though since they removed the F keys

61. taichi1082
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 02:15:31

Well, you can use/lock the function key, then you have the F-Keys. You could also map the keys differently. Of course one has to make sacrifices with keyboards that small. For some, even tenkeyless is troubling enough

62. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 02:16:16

taichi1082 wrote: :D Get a KBC Poker 40%, spray the board and the keycaps pink! Seriously though, the Poker is one of the smallest keyboard at the moment and it's about 70$~ I'm probably buying one as well soon
    Convince me that I can paint it without f'ing it up. If it were that easy a lot of people would spray their keycaps....

63. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 03:07:59

taichi1082 wrote: Well, you can use/lock the function key, then you have the F-Keys. You could also map the keys differently. Of course one has to make sacrifices with keyboards that small. For some, even tenkeyless is troubling enough
    you need both # row and F-row in RPG games.

64. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 04:11:05

Zombo wrote: you need both # row and F-row in RPG games.
    Which RPGs are you even playing? The only F key I ever use is F5.

65. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 14:56:44

for example in baldurs gate or ragnarok online

66. SJ
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 22:33:28

Zombo wrote: Filco Rosewill Ducky Leopold are some of the major keyboard manufacturers
    have u tried those? so the only diff betwee ultimate and professional is the lasered keys...? wtf LOL how odd

67. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Mar 24 2012 00:12:06

why is it odd if you want a blank keyboard, get the ultimate. blank is good because it improves your typing speed. also its compatible with any form of typing scheme, such as Dvorak. it also protects your computer from being used by noobs. if you're a noob and need to look at your keys, then get the labeled ones. but be aware that anybody who's computer-noob can now use your computer. i have not tried those keyboards

68. SJ
    Date: Thu, Mar 29 2012 05:08:09

on a side note, does anyone want to trade me a DAS professional/ultimate silent keyboard or razer black widow ultimate? preferably cherry browns but ill consider cherry blues ill trade you with pens

69. taichi1082
    Date: Thu, Mar 29 2012 23:20:43

Zombo wrote: it also protects your computer from being used by noobs. if you're a noob and need to look at your keys, then get the labeled ones. but be aware that anybody who's computer-noob can now use your computer.
    This is the best reasoning I have ever heared

70. webspider
    Date: Fri, Mar 30 2012 07:49:37

taichi1082 wrote: This is the best reasoning I have ever heared
    It's Zombo after all. What did you expect? @thread: I use the same as taichi (Leopold Otaku from elitekeboards.com), only with red switches (and fullsized since there were no tenkeyless with red switches when I've ordered), because they feel godlike :3 Pics may follow.

71. Furloy
    Date: Tue, Apr 3 2012 13:11:24

I want a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 only $70 google it. And a Razer Naga Epic- it costs twice as much. The keyboard. I was a WoW buff until my computer broke. Help me fix it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ejdhQZMq0c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

72. midniteferret
    Date: Sun, Apr 8 2012 03:53:31

...my keyboard was free with my computer

73. SJ
    Date: Sun, Apr 8 2012 19:03:24

midniteferret wrote: ...my keyboard was free with my computer
    thanks for the useful input

74. Ryuu
    Date: Sun, Apr 8 2012 20:30:37

i typing now from my ps vita but my pc keyboard is for free XD

75. Fuse
    Date: Sun, Apr 8 2012 21:16:55

Keyboard came with my computer, just a regular wireless Apple keyboard. It's good enough, I love the fact that the keys don't go in too much...

76. Biji
    Date: Mon, Apr 9 2012 05:51:27

Furloy wrote: I want a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 only $70 google it. And a Razer Naga Epic- it costs twice as much. The keyboard. I was a WoW buff until my computer broke. Help me fix it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ejdhQZMq0c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    "Gaming" keyboard, 70$, not even mechanical Definitely not even worth looking at

77. boshi
    Date: Sat, Apr 21 2012 18:45:40

Das Ultimate vs steelseries 6gv2? oh and also since i don't want to make another thread, RAT 7 vs steelseries sensei in terms of performance?

78. SJ
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 04:48:07

boshi wrote: Das Ultimate vs steelseries 6gv2? oh and also since i don't want to make another thread, RAT 7 vs steelseries sensei in terms of performance?
    das is probably better in terms of quality. steel series is more main stream. no idea about the rat 7 lol

79. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 16:05:08

boshi wrote: Das Ultimate vs steelseries 6gv2? oh and also since i don't want to make another thread, RAT 7 vs steelseries sensei in terms of performance?
    two different of switches. feel and sound are very different, you need to try

80. Loanshark
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 18:09:36

if you want a loud clicky clacky, go with the das. apparently the steelseries is silent

81. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 18:20:35

Loanshark wrote: if you want a loud clicky clacky, go with the das. apparently the[B] steelseries is silent[/B]
    not really it makes a tok tok tok sound

82. Tetsip
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 18:23:16

it makes more of a tik tiktik tk tik tik tik tik tik

83. Loanshark
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 18:49:42

ive never tried an 6gv2 before, so i'm not really sure, but it's not nearly as loud as a das

84. SJ
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 18:55:57

even cherry mx brown das ultimate silent is that loud? btw, there are videos of sound tests on youtube of various keyboards

85. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 22:18:43

SJ wrote: even cherry mx brown das ultimate silent is that loud? btw, there are videos of sound tests on youtube of various keyboards
    silent really means nothing, its loud. a room full of mech keyboards would be crazy

86. Biji
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 20:04:36

Zombo wrote: silent really means nothing, its loud. a room full of mech keyboards would be crazy
    From going to starcraft LANs, a room full of mech keyboards gets pretty loud

87. sopi
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 14:34:23

you must buy a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate then you can type as fast as freddie wong [video=youtube;HA71Y1jttSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA71Y1jttSc&feature=plcp[/video]

88. King
    Date: Fri, Apr 27 2012 01:29:09

Its all about just buying a really old mech keyboard from goodwill.

89. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Jun 20 2012 18:12:56

KBTalking Race, Pink edition. Oh my god, I want it.

90. Finn
    Date: Wed, Jun 20 2012 18:23:13

Whole thread made by me dedicated to pictures of HHKB Pro 2 http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?30577-The-HHKB-Club/page8 I currently am maining my HHKB, although I have a lot more.

91. SJ
    Date: Thu, Jun 21 2012 06:14:14

is that a brand? seems helluva customizable. where do u even get it? btw, my das ultimate silent should be here soon

92. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jun 21 2012 07:44:55

SJ wrote: is that a brand? seems helluva customizable. where do u even get it? btw, my das ultimate silent should be here soon
    The HHKB is made by Topre, which sells hella overpriced rubber dome keyboards. Yeah, I said it. Apparently it's supposed to be aimed at old programmers, though I don't really know why.

93. Finn
    Date: Thu, Jun 21 2012 23:03:25

XYZaki wrote: The HHKB is made by Topre, which sells hella overpriced rubber dome keyboards. Yeah, I said it. Apparently it's supposed to be aimed at old programmers, though I don't really know why.
    Its the position of the control key. And its ok bro don't be jelly of topre.

94. XYZaki
    Date: Tue, Aug 14 2012 07:00:02

WOOOO GUESS WHAT I WILL BE GETTING MY DREAM KEYBOARD KBT RACE IN PINK WITH CHERRY MX BLUE SWITCHES SON. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY MADE THEM WITH BLUES. It doesn't get more perfect than this.

95. Fuse
    Date: Tue, Aug 14 2012 19:04:17

What is so special about that keyboard? Is it some hipster trend, or is it ergonomic, or do you just like how it looks? I don't mean that to be rude or condescending, honest (stupid) question.

96. XYZaki
    Date: Tue, Aug 14 2012 19:29:26

Fuse wrote: What is so special about that keyboard? Is it some hipster trend, or is it ergonomic, or do you just like how it looks? I don't mean that to be rude or condescending, honest (stupid) question.
    I'd say Mechanical Keyboards are 15% hipster, 10% placebo, and 75% legit. http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide In terms of comfort rubber domes are the worst, scissor switch keyboards are a little bit better (like the one in your avatar and mine) but they aren't as loud (downside for me) and KRO is just as bad, if not worse.

97. Fuse
    Date: Tue, Aug 14 2012 20:55:46

Makes sense. It seems to be a lot of information for just a keyboard, wow.

98. XYZaki
    Date: Tue, Aug 14 2012 21:03:01

Fuse wrote: Makes sense. It seems to be a lot of information for just a keyboard, wow.
    According to many testimonies, you will understand the difference once you spend an entire day typing on one. I will soon be able to vouch for this (sun)

99. SJ
    Date: Wed, Aug 15 2012 01:53:40

@XYZaki Wat do u think about white alps switch? Theres a sale on max keyboards if anyones interested. Look it up on slickdeals. I have a das myself and will never go back to rubber dome....lol I just wish it had media keys

100. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Aug 15 2012 02:13:16

SJ wrote: @XYZaki Wat do u think about white alps switch? Theres a sale on max keyboards if anyones interested. Look it up on slickdeals. I have a das myself and will never go back to rubber dome....lol I just wish it had media keys
    I've never tried alps. I've actually only tried MX Red, Brown, and Black. I didn't really like any of them in particular. But I'm fairly sure I'll like blues since they're louder and don't need to be bottomed out to get a tick. What do you mean by media keys? You can probably remap some of the keys to do what you want: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remap-keyboard-free-tools-windows/

101. SJ
    Date: Wed, Aug 15 2012 05:41:18

XYZaki wrote: I've never tried alps. I've actually only tried MX Red, Brown, and Black. I didn't really like any of them in particular. But I'm fairly sure I'll like blues since they're louder and don't need to be bottomed out to get a tick. What do you mean by media keys? You can probably remap some of the keys to do what you want: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remap-keyboard-free-tools-windows/
    oh all i need is volume control on my das lol im a fucking noob haha ill try that soon. ty i ask about white alps cuz theyre pretty cheap compared to mainstream like cherry and topre ive only owned cherry brown so i cant say anythin abuot anything else lol edit: @XYZaki where can i get a decent keyboard under $50 thats a cherry brown equivalent? or something not too noisy

102. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 08:48:04

SJ wrote: edit: @XYZaki where can i get a decent keyboard under $50 thats a cherry brown equivalent? or something not too noisy
    Why do you need it? You already have a das..? Fortunately, Chinese keyboards are most commonly MX Red and Brown. But under $50 is still hard to find without going to taobao (in which case you need to buy through an agent who charges like 15%). $75 is the best price I can find for a Key cool 87. For $40 you can get a SIIG MiniTouch, but white Alps are pretty noisy.

103. SJ
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:02:02

@XYZaki to use it for work lol i was lookin at http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=43 seems pretty decent. comes out to be 60~ish haha edit: y the hell are the chinese mech keyboards pricey lol

104. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:04:40

SJ wrote: @XYZaki to use it for work lol i was lookin at http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=43 seems pretty decent. comes out to be 60~ish haha
    If you already had a Tenkeyless or other mini keyboard, I'd say just take your Keyboard to work. Where do you work?

105. SJ
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:13:14

XYZaki wrote: If you already had a Tenkeyless or other mini keyboard, I'd say just take your Keyboard to work. Where do you work?
    whats wrong with tenkeyless lol seems pretty compact and handy what do u think about green alps tho and its a real estate firm

106. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:17:52

SJ wrote: whats wrong with tenkeyless lol seems pretty compact and handy what do u think about green alps tho and its a real estate firm
    I like Tenkeyless (see my KBT race post). I'm saying since you have a full size Das you can't take it to and from work everyday.

107. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:27:32

XYZaki wrote: I like Tenkeyless (see my KBT race post). I'm saying since you have a full size Das you can't take it to and from work everyday.
    why would u do that, leave your tenkeyless at work and use ur full size at home also ur coworkers will kill you if u use a mech at work

108. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:37:05

Zombo wrote: why would u do that, leave your tenkeyless at work and use ur full size at home
    I'm assuming he's going to do that. But IF he had a Tenkeyless instead of a full size, he could save money just by taking it to work. They're pretty small.

109. Biji
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 09:38:10

numpad so convenient for entering lab data

110. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Aug 17 2012 23:48:26

Biji wrote: numpad so convenient for entering lab data
    I've worked in a lab the whole summer and I haven't used my numpad once.

111. SJ
    Date: Sat, Aug 18 2012 00:31:46

its really preference. if you use tenkeyless for a while, you get used to it. even with the numpad, some ppl just use the horizontal numpad layout lol and i guess ill just hold out on a keyboard for a while. kinda hard to find a decent keyboard for under 50...that ducky green alps one seems like its pretty cheapass according to some online sources. theres a deal on Max keyboards on slickdeals right now. cherry brown for $60~70. pretty decent

112. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Aug 18 2012 06:40:46

SJ wrote: its really preference. if you use tenkeyless for a while, you get used to it. even with the numpad, some ppl just use the horizontal numpad layout lol
    IMO the numpad and home, end, insert keys are completely useless. I doubt the average user uses the numpad at all when entering numbers. For starters, you have to enable Num Lock. Additionally, unless you're used to using a cash register, the key placement doesn't feel natural.

113. Biji
    Date: Sat, Aug 18 2012 08:35:18

XYZaki wrote: I've worked in a lab the whole summer and I haven't used my numpad once.
    lucky lucky I usually have pages upon pages of data to enter onto powerpoints, usually in analytical chem labs

114. King
    Date: Wed, Aug 22 2012 00:22:46

I have stumbled across an old Model M variant. Super fucking loud, but super satisfying to type with.

115. SJ
    Date: Wed, Aug 22 2012 07:59:12

@XYZaki how much was ur pink keyboard?

116. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Aug 22 2012 08:23:51

SJ wrote: @XYZaki how much was ur pink keyboard?
    Which one? The KBT Race that I'm getting or the one you see in all my videos? The KBT Race is $169 shipped. The one I have now was $13. It's pretty quiet and more comfortable than rubber domes (scissor switch). It's still available in white on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823204027

117. SJ
    Date: Wed, Aug 22 2012 17:01:47

XYZaki wrote: Which one? The KBT Race that I'm getting or the one you see in all my videos? The KBT Race is $169 shipped. The one I have now was $13. It's pretty quiet and more comfortable than rubber domes (scissor switch). It's still available in white on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823204027
    wow thats expensive. dang. do u know if scissor switch is better than alps? but thats so cheap!!!

118. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Aug 22 2012 18:48:09

SJ wrote: wow thats expensive. dang. do u know if scissor switch is better than alps? but thats so cheap!!!
    It's cheap because it's not mechanical. I doubt it's better than alps, quieter for sure though.

119. King
    Date: Thu, Aug 23 2012 01:32:28

What do i do about a sticky shift key? Its quite annoying sometimes. MAybe im just not used to the keyboard yet...

120. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Aug 23 2012 09:57:10

? disable ease of access in windows

121. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:10:34

Zombo wrote: ? disable ease of access in windows
    I think he means the key actually sticks too much, not Sticky Keys.

122. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 01:20:47

GUESS WHAT PLEBS

123. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 03:27:31

XYZaki wrote: GUESS WHAT PLEBS
    why you got letters on your keyboard

124. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 03:29:24

Zombo wrote: why you got letters on your keyboard
    There's no blank version.

125. strat1227
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 14:56:46

XYZaki wrote: There's no blank version.
    That clicking is the most obnoxious noise ever. I'd rather use an on-screen keyboard and click the letters.

126. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 15:48:25

XYZaki;223276]There's no blank version.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=strat1227 wrote: That clicking is the most obnoxious noise ever. I'd rather use an on-screen keyboard and click the letters.
    sounds like an mx blue, which are meh, prefer brown also jolin tsai rofl

127. Epic Holiday
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 15:53:42

iS THERE ANY HEADSET/HEADPHONE THREAD? ops caps lock sorry

128. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 17:05:00

fucking love mx blues.

129. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Sep 16 2012 23:51:38

Zombo wrote: also jolin tsai rofl
    Jolin Tsai is great. The 3 of her albums that I've heard were all good. Rainie Yang > Jolin Tsai > alan > Jane Zhang

130. SJ
    Date: Thu, Sep 20 2012 08:25:44

anyone know where i can get lavender wasd keycaps? sold out on elitekeyboards...checked forums/ebay/amazon/etc too but no luck also, what do u guys think about das compared to other brands? topre vs cherry mx? lastly, why are all mech keyboards wired?

131. webspider
    Date: Thu, Sep 20 2012 10:10:42

Lavender is gay, pink is the real deal. Das Keyboard looks weird and is overpriced at my local seller. Topre switches are glorified rubber domes, so Cherry switches all the way. Wireless sucks and so do you. Thank you for listening.

132. SJ
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 01:31:00

@XYZaki

133. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 01:38:31

SJ;225463]@XYZaki[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=webspider wrote: Lavender is gay, pink is the real deal. Das Keyboard looks weird and is overpriced at my local seller. Topre switches are glorified rubber domes, so Cherry switches all the way. Wireless sucks and so do you. Thank you for listening.

134. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 02:06:26

das keyboar doesnt look weird it looks standard to me iunno

135. webspider
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 08:10:13

It's just the font choice and this. Why the fuck would they do that, I've seen plenty keyboards coming in plain rectangular form, so it can't be for technical reasons. But as you see, @SJ, choosing the right keyboard for yourself is a highly subjective thing.

136. Biji
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 15:51:58

webspider wrote: It's just the font choice and this. Why the fuck would they do that, I've seen plenty keyboards coming in plain rectangular form, so it can't be for technical reasons. But as you see, @SJ, choosing the right keyboard for yourself is a highly subjective thing.
    That's where the USB hub is

137. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 18:06:20

webspider wrote: It's just the font choice and this. Why the fuck would they do that, I've seen plenty keyboards coming in plain rectangular form, so it can't be for technical reasons. But as you see, @SJ, choosing the right keyboard for yourself is a highly subjective thing.
    font choice doesn't matter because keyboards should be blank anyway, and the little thing is minor really... i've seen far worse and if all you wanted was a plain rectangular keyboard, whats the point of buying so many keyboards of the same switch kind? they would all look the same... obviously there needs to be something that stands out visually. well for me it doesnt matter cuz the keyboard is resting on those slidable things that sit under the desk, so i cant see it anyway

138. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Sep 21 2012 18:16:34

why should a keyboard be blank O_o

139. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Sep 22 2012 19:10:55

I went up to Gainesville to visit my brother and he bought me a WASD keyboard customized. Typing this out on it as we speak :D I'll post pictures of it when i get homes :)))))))))))))) super happy has cherry blue MX

140. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Sep 22 2012 20:05:28

Awesome wrote: why should a keyboard be blank O_o
    its unnecessary, if you know how to type you simply dont need any key engravings this also make it easier to use different languages or layouts, where what's written on the keys may not correspond what they do.

141. SJ
    Date: Sat, Sep 22 2012 20:18:19

Awesome wrote: why should a keyboard be blank O_o
    just preference i guess. i think zombo likes to customize his keyboard so blank is better for him. if u only use basic functions, labeled might be better. i dont really customize my keyboard but i have a blank one... i dont mind it tho. made me memorize where shit is haha

142. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Sep 22 2012 21:46:27

figured i'd post pics anyways even not being at home. WASD Keyboard Cherry blue mx its dark in here

143. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Sep 22 2012 21:59:25

If that's what you like, then I'm happy for you. But I fail to understand how people can like those hideous WASD keyboards. If you're going to go all hodge podge with your keycaps, at least do it in a way that doesn't look like crap, with colors that don't look cheap.

144. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Sep 22 2012 22:09:08

i am quite happy :)

145. SJ
    Date: Sun, Sep 23 2012 21:01:09

lol those grey keycaps make it look old...but welcome to the mech keyboard fam

146. Manman!
    Date: Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:09:18

I use an a4tech keyboard, but I want razer keyboard so bad hahaha.

147. SJ
    Date: Tue, Sep 25 2012 03:46:18

razer keyboards suck......search any keyboard forum theyll all agree. its just for looks

148. Chobi
    Date: Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:32:32

@SJ nah dude I quite enjoyed my blackwidow when I had it. not worth it's retarded price imo, but its not TOO bad just got my Das Ultimate today. worth every cent

149. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 04:03:17

@Loanshark Since you don't want to hit your Win key when playing SC2, does your keyboard have DIP switches on the bottom by any chance? Mine has 4, to disable/enable win key, left ctrl+alt, and some others.

150. webspider
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 17:44:45

Using a IBM Model M at work, doesn't feel as heavy as I've expected. Quite nice except the missing Windows-Keys.

151. King
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 21:49:48

My Model M has Windows-keys.. Hrmm

152. Ohayo
    Date: Sun, Oct 14 2012 23:20:25

I was thinking of buying a new mechanical keyboard to use for my laptop, I was wondering what are the best or most cost effective for brown switches? EDIT: Since I have limited space on my desk, I am looking for a keyboard with no num pad and with a usb hub.

153. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Oct 14 2012 23:48:08

Ohayo wrote: I was thinking of buying a new mechanical keyboard to use for my laptop, I was wondering what are the best or most cost effective for brown switches? EDIT: Since I have limited space on my desk, I am looking for a keyboard with no num pad and with a usb hub.
    aim for something $70-80, tenkeyless, thats probably cheapest you could find. wont have a usb hub tho. dont think tenkeyless have usb hubs?

154. Yamaguchi
    Date: Mon, Oct 15 2012 00:15:34

but.. but.. you can buy burgers for this week with that money

155. SJ
    Date: Mon, Oct 15 2012 00:37:44

Yamaguchi wrote: but.. but.. you can buy burgers for this week with that money
    lol its a luxury item if you eat burgers for a week, you prob cant afford it nor need it

156. Ohayo
    Date: Mon, Oct 15 2012 01:18:23

Zombo wrote: aim for something $70-80, tenkeyless, thats probably cheapest you could find. wont have a usb hub tho. dont think tenkeyless have usb hubs?
    do you have any suggested brands?

157. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Oct 15 2012 02:54:07

Ohayo wrote: do you have any suggested brands?
    ask @XYZaki i dont use tenkeyless your best bet would be a filco or a leopold i think i think a new brand is cooler master which is cheaper

158. XYZaki
    Date: Mon, Oct 15 2012 03:56:58

Some cheap Tenkeyless boards I can think of are the Noppoo Choc mini and PLU ML-87. KBT Pure can be found for $87 on some sites. Not sure the price on the Filco Tenkeyless.

159. Loanshark
    Date: Mon, Oct 15 2012 16:07:12

XYZaki wrote: @Loanshark Since you don't want to hit your Win key when playing SC2, does your keyboard have DIP switches on the bottom by any chance? Mine has 4, to disable/enable win key, left ctrl+alt, and some others.
    No

160. SJ
    Date: Tue, Oct 16 2012 01:53:08

cherry switch keyboards are expensive generally. if u want something cheaper, get a keyboard with white alps switches better than rubber dome, worse than cherry

161. Ohayo
    Date: Sun, Oct 21 2012 01:13:46

i got my cherry mx brown cooler master quickfire keyboard and it's one of the most satisfying thing to type on @H@. Sadly, I really want new keycaps to use

162. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Jan 2 2013 07:48:08

I love this mouse and keyboard. IE 3.0 is the master race.

163. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 2 2013 17:21:56

Ohayo wrote: i got my cherry mx brown cooler master quickfire keyboard and it's one of the most satisfying thing to type on @H@. Sadly, I really want new keycaps to use
    lowest price on a mech keyboard, good deal.

164. Enigmatic
    Date: Wed, Jan 2 2013 19:10:06

Idk who made this but I'd like to have one lol

165. Loanshark
    Date: Sat, Apr 6 2013 08:23:34

Revive I'm considering getting a new keyboard. After having my blue key Das for a few years, and trying out some of my friends' keyboards, I have come to the conclusion that blue sucks for me Still really debating between brown and red, but i havent really come to a conclusion yet. I really like them both a lot, but not sure which would be better one thing that i would love on a new keyboard is PBT keycaps instead of the standard ABS. last longer, and doesnt develop that shining that ABS does any thoughts?

166. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Apr 6 2013 15:04:19

does it really matter? if you get a blank keyboard, the money doesn't seem worth it imo

167. neXus
    Date: Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:58:58

Does anybody have like a guide that explains how mechanical keyboards work beyond the level of switches? I get what switches are but what happens in the keyboard that reads the switches and gets that information to the computer, I don't want to take mine apart. Are the PCBs the same is my ultimate question. nvm figured it out, i can indeed do what I planned on doing

168. Argon_City
    Date: Wed, Apr 17 2013 20:57:55

Any Dvorak mechanical keyboard recommendations? I know I can just change the keyboard layout in Windows settings to type in Dvorak but I just like the idea of having a proper Dvorak mechanical keyboard.

169. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Apr 18 2013 02:58:31

Argon_City wrote: Any Dvorak mechanical keyboard recommendations? I know I can just change the keyboard layout in Windows settings to type in Dvorak but I just like the idea of having a proper Dvorak mechanical keyboard.
    you could re-order the keys yourself or just get a blank keyboard.

170. neXus
    Date: Thu, Apr 18 2013 20:51:24

I have no real reason to but so itchy to buy a DK9008 Shine 2. But then again I'm in the process of re-building my whole system in a black/white theme so blue light wouldn't fit too well. Or a Filco. I wish I had options for testing other switches. I just want new. Away from the Das.

171. Argon_City
    Date: Thu, Apr 18 2013 22:41:57

neXus wrote: I have no real reason to but so itchy to buy a DK9008 Shine 2. But then again I'm in the process of re-building my whole system in a black/white theme so blue light wouldn't fit too well. Or a Filco. I wish I had options for testing other switches. I just want new. Away from the Das.
    DK9008 Shine 2 comes in white LED too! http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9008_shine2.html look for it at the bottom

172. neXus
    Date: Thu, Apr 18 2013 22:56:15

Yeah but not in stores I can get them from unfortunately.

173. SJ
    Date: Fri, Jun 28 2013 23:24:49

blank keycaps ftw

174. Loanshark
    Date: Sat, Jun 29 2013 01:15:15

Welp, now I know your reddit account now. I found a set of purple though, but its only for the alphabet keys are and punctuation ones, but i can't seem to find the ones you're looking for http://www.ebay.com/itm/Purple-PBT-Top-Printed-37-keyset-for-Cherry-MX-Keyboards-e-g-Filco-Ducky-etc-/230839607772?hash=item35bf1ce1dc

175. TheAafg
    Date: Sat, Jun 29 2013 01:55:53

does your keyboard affect your typing speed or lets say your performance in game? srs question. I don't look at the keyboard when I type or whatever so I have never really cared for their appearance.

176. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Jun 29 2013 03:09:09

TheAafg wrote: does your keyboard affect your typing speed or lets say your performance in game? srs question. I don't look at the keyboard when I type or whatever so I have never really cared for their appearance.
    yes...? but it's not because of appareance tho, altho blank keys help for learning.

177. [4-OH-4]
    Date: Sat, Jun 29 2013 04:30:04

im not sure if this is the proper thread here,but,heres the thing.ive recently made a custom desktop for gaming and other things...i have to say,its a pretty good set up.BUT,im still trying to find a good keyboard and mouse to go with it.does anybody have any suggestions on what i should get?

178. Loanshark
    Date: Sat, Jun 29 2013 04:59:00

TheAafg wrote: does your keyboard affect your typing speed or lets say your performance in game? srs question. I don't look at the keyboard when I type or whatever so I have never really cared for their appearance.
    the typing experience is soooo different, completely worth the 100 bucks i spent. much easier to hit the keys, and much more responsive. if you play games that involve using keyboard a lot like WoW or fps games, you end up hitting a lot of keys really fast, and they may not end up registering. on most mechanical keyboards, they have a feature where you can hit as many keys as you want simultaneously and they'll all register, unlike a normal keyboard that usually bugs out if you hit like 4 keys at once. [QUOTE='[4-OH-4];263422']im not sure if this is the proper thread here,but,heres the thing.ive recently made a custom desktop for gaming and other things...i have to say,its a pretty good set up.BUT,im still trying to find a good keyboard and mouse to go with it.does anybody have any suggestions on what i should get?[/QUOTE] do you want a clicky keyboard? get cherry blue or brown, if not, get cherry red do you want it to be loud? get blue, if not then get brown

179. Ohayo
    Date: Fri, Jul 5 2013 20:24:27

holy fuck, I just switched from brown/blue to reds. Fucking greatest thing ever. FUCKING love stealseries. <3 6gv2

180. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jul 7 2013 22:31:56

6gv2 is black...?

181. Ohayo
    Date: Tue, Jul 9 2013 01:07:51

Zombo wrote: 6gv2 is black...?
    Steelseries offers red switches as well. http://steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2-red-switch

182. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Tue, Jul 9 2013 13:39:55

I just came into possession of enough money to get a new keyboard I have a Razer Lycosa because Micro Center didn't have any SteelSeries keyboards or any mechanical keyboards of a recognizable brand, and it was kind of a waste of $80. I'm thinking about getting the 6Gv2 mentioned above^ and giving the Lycosa to my brother, but I heard good things about CM Storm keyboards. I'd like some suggestions on red switch keyboards (preferably with a backlight) because I don't know about many mech keyboards besides SS, CM Storm and Razer's BlackWidow, and no more razer pls

183. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Jul 9 2013 17:46:54

i use a das silent ultimate, check it out. i think browns are perfect.

184. Ohayo
    Date: Tue, Jul 9 2013 18:36:44

oh man, you just missed the sale for the 6gv2. It was 40 usd off!!!

185. SJ
    Date: Tue, Jul 16 2013 06:53:56

just me testing my new cam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qR1aLQxUQ

186. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Jul 16 2013 07:49:03

I have a CM Storm Trigger with blue switches. Clicks like a beast but not sure how roommates will like it.

187. miyat
    Date: Sun, Jul 21 2013 00:23:52

I have some microsoft media keyboard, cheap and good for design.

188. [4-OH-4]
    Date: Sun, Jul 21 2013 04:15:13

not sure if can ask this here,but... does anyone have any reccomendations for keyboard and mouse suitable for fps games?(currently looking for one thats cheap,reliable and good.)

189. SJ
    Date: Mon, Aug 12 2013 05:11:50

update... sold my das and got max nighthawk x8 instead. various reasons (backlighting, fn, usb positioning) also got cm storm tkl stealth browns for the future

190. Timbo
    Date: Wed, Nov 13 2013 13:19:28

Hear, hear. On my desktop I use a Razer Blackwidow which I quite like, no problems there. I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time at my university's computer labs over the break. The keyboards at the labs are abhorrent. They are some bulk-bought Dell piece of shit that miss keystrokes all the time. Additionally I don't want to contract a disease from using public keyboards ('cause it only takes one dirty fucker to put the H1N1 all over that sucker). I'm looking for something: --Cheap. About $60 is my maximum as I'm not replacing my current 'main' keyboard. --Easy to carry around. Doesn't have to be roll-up or anything just not as bulky as my blackwidow. --Quiet. I don't like to draw attention. --Good for typing. I'm going to be using almost exclusively for typing. No games or any funny business. I've done some research and XYZaki and I did a small amount of preproduction. In my research the only ones that stand out to me are 'chiclet' style keyboards and 'ivory' style keyboards. From what I have read the Mac keyboards have pretty rave reviews but I'm not sure how well that will play with Red Hat at school. I'm not familiar with mechanical style keyboards at all (apart from using my Blackwidow). I understand that there are different styles of switches though which you guys may have some expertise in. I like my Blackwidow but it's very noisy (might just be the way I type but that isn't changing any time soon). The cheapest mechanicals may be a bit too expensive anyways. If it matters, I do properly touch type and go about 80-90 wpm (it'd probably be a bit more but I make an insane amount of mistakes). I'm not interested in any of that touchpad nonsense or any extra frills. I could probably even do without a numpad to be completely honest; although a keyboard without a numpad is kind of like a man without a dick. Thanks for any help you fine gentlemen can afford me.

191. neXus
    Date: Wed, Nov 13 2013 14:43:42

Your money might be the biggest factor that will hold you back. But let's see. MX Blues are generally considered the best switches for typing but they're very loud. I'm guessing you have blues in your keyboard. Browns are very similar, they have the tactile bump but not the audible click, also their actuation force is 5g less. So the typing feeling of the browns is very similar but quieter. You want compact. Your options then would be a 60%, 75% or a TKL. Unfortunately there is nothing like that in your price range. Next step up as far as I know would be a KeyCool 84, about $85 and free shipping from China: http://www.banggood.com/KEYCOOL-84-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Brown-Switch-p-84863.html Other options are a CM Storm QFR: http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Mechanical/dp/B007VDKLLM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384352890&sr=8-4&keywords=kbt+pure

192. taichi1082
    Date: Wed, Nov 13 2013 18:08:00

Timbo wrote: I could probably even do without a numpad to be completely honest; although a keyboard without a numpad is kind of like a man without a dick.
    What kind of stupid comparison is that? I don't see the need for a numpad unless you are a cashier. But hey, your call. With many keyboards you can chose between fullsized and tenkeyless.

193. neXus
    Date: Thu, Nov 21 2013 22:24:22

Hunting keycaps is frustrating. All I really want are fucking Cherry legends. Sure PBT is nice but I can get used to ABS, I used ABS for a long time. No dice so far.

194. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Nov 29 2013 00:58:24

neXus wrote: Hunting keycaps is frustrating. All I really want are fucking Cherry legends. Sure PBT is nice but I can get used to ABS, I used ABS for a long time. No dice so far.
    Dude PBT is so hnnnnnghghghghghhhhh though. Like it reminds me of hmnjdjkdhfakd

195. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Nov 29 2013 22:40:27

For anyone looking for a really cheap board: Rosewill RK-9000I http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201052 $60 automatic discounted price but then you get a $20 mail in rebate on top of that. Pretty sweet deal.

196. Tentcell
    Date: Fri, Feb 28 2014 01:29:55

Digging this up. Looking to get a gaming/ just a better keyboard since my old one is shitting the bed. I was looking at the Razer tournament edition because there's no keypad and I have a small desk, plus kool leds. Should I even consider a Razer keyboard? Is there something better that I can get in the 100$ range? I prefer blues, mom has a keyboard for typing and absolutely love them. Thanks.

197. neXus
    Date: Sat, Mar 1 2014 11:15:46

Except for mice I wouldn't buy Razer. http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfiretk/ Same price, better build quality, backlighting. Depends on if you like the layout. http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfirerapid/ Standard TKL layout but no backlight. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=664 Ducky Zero. Standard mechanical TKL keyboard.

198. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Mar 1 2014 12:03:41

neXus wrote: Except for mice I wouldn't buy Razer. http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfiretk/ Same price, better build quality, backlighting. Depends on if you like the layout. http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfirerapid/ Standard TKL layout but no backlight. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=664 Ducky Zero. Standard mechanical TKL keyboard.
    I've had a black widow for like 3 and a half years now. Despite the gloss collecting dust like a motherfucker and needing wipedowns, it is still going strong. I want to try cherry blacks, though.

199. neXus
    Date: Sat, Mar 1 2014 12:28:29

I want to try black switches too. I'm on reds right now and they're often a little too light. When I'm playing a game and resting my pinky on left shift I occasionally actuate it without noticing. That being said they are very nice to use, I still love the blues on my old keyboard and I thought about soldering out the reds and adding in blues but I guess I'm gonna keep reds for now.

200. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Mar 1 2014 13:38:08

I just got my first mechanical keyboard, brown switches. TT esports posiedon or something. :) pretty nice I think ^^ Not worth the price though... You dont really notice the difference until you try using a membrane keyboard again. But it kinda feels like typing is more "heavy" like its actually a task I ahve to do vs. something natural (I was using scissor keys before)

201. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Mar 5 2014 19:33:54

Ordered in a can of plasti dip to change up my black widow after I disassembled it for shits and giggles yesterday, my abyssus too. Gonna be like this: Gonna give them both some treatment like that, then I was thinking of changing the keycaps on this keyboard for blanks as they are quite dated and perhaps do a cable mod with one of those Mimic custom braided cables, mmmmh~! Ohhh and also I'll be asking my brother who does electronics about possibly switching out the LEDs in both my blackwidow and abyssus for purple ones, as that's like my theme colour, would probably extend that colour onto the keycaps, which I am considering now. Long term consideration: unsoldering all of the switches and replacing them with Cherry MX greens. I have seen very few keyboards that use them and they look really attractive to me as I am pretty damn heavy handed.

202. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Mar 5 2014 20:28:36

browns

203. neXus
    Date: Thu, Mar 6 2014 11:59:42

I'm actually pretty unhappy with my keyboard right now. Though that is partly my own fault. I bought an alpha-set of black keycaps with cherry legends but didn't notice they were a different profile than standard Poker, they're a little shorter so they don't fit the modifiers. When swapping them back out I lost my \| key. So the cheery one has to go there. And then of course there's "Enjoy your feeling" and the font of the standard caps which on some keys is starting to fade. And I've thought about putting in LEDs but it honestly doesn't look that great unless you have keycaps for it. LEDs behind blanks is ugly imo.

204. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Mar 8 2014 21:38:09

Boom. Considering picking up a unicomp, it's £94.80 inc shipping but hnnnng buckling springs look god tier ;_; Greens are buckling springs wannabes and I wanted to mod them, I'm heavily considering throwing lots of money onto a unicomp board.

205. Soren
    Date: Sat, Mar 8 2014 21:50:40

neXus wrote: I'm actually pretty unhappy with my keyboard right now. Though that is partly my own fault. http://i.imgur.com/7quOZPY.jpg I bought an alpha-set of black keycaps with cherry legends but didn't notice they were a different profile than standard Poker, they're a little shorter so they don't fit the modifiers. When swapping them back out I lost my \| key. So the cheery one has to go there. http://i.imgur.com/KSjuj5m.jpg And then of course there's "Enjoy your feeling" and the font of the standard caps which on some keys is starting to fade. http://i.imgur.com/YZ2nfRV.jpg And I've thought about putting in LEDs but it honestly doesn't look that great unless you have keycaps for it. LEDs behind blanks is ugly imo.
    Now this is a quality post showcasing a keyboard with, first, a nicely angled view of the entire keyboard, and then close ups of other interesting aspects of the keyboard. If you could like posts in the off topic section I would give this post a like.

206. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Apr 7 2014 11:11:36

Unicomp shipment arrived.

207. Reason
    Date: Mon, Apr 7 2014 18:09:02

Ceru Seiyu wrote: http://i.imgur.com/t61njD7.jpg Unicomp shipment arrived.
    woah that looks pretty awesome! is it curved or is that just an optical illusion? lol

208. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Apr 7 2014 23:19:53

Reason wrote: woah that looks pretty awesome! is it curved or is that just an optical illusion? lol
    Yeah, the plastic switch casing and metal backplate are curved in model M keyboards (more so on this, being the largest one they make xD). Unlike Cherry boards where the plate is flar and the keys are all differnt sizes, this has the same sized keys and a curved plate. It's super heavy and solid. You could kill someone with iiiit.