UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / When is a Trick Learnt?

1. Mats
    Date: Thu, Dec 15 2011 17:43:56

At what consistancy would you say you have learnt a trick?

2. Kari
    Date: Thu, Dec 15 2011 17:48:31

That depends on the trick and how long you want to sit on one trick trying to get consistency up.

3. Mats
    Date: Thu, Dec 15 2011 17:49:41

Kari wrote: That depends on the trick and how long you want to sit on one trick trying to get consistency up.
    Just think of the question as this. If someone came up to you and said can you do and you could do it 10%/50%/90% or whatever, at what percentage would you be happy to say yes to their question?

4. Kari
    Date: Thu, Dec 15 2011 17:53:58

That still depends on the trick though. TA I'm going to say over 90% while Hai tua I'm going to say 10%. And that still depends on time. How long have you been doing that certain trick. You would think the more you do it the more consistent you would be. So me just starting to learn Hai tua compared to me doing TA for five years is going to make a big difference in the results.

5. blahblahting
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 07:14:18

a trick is learned when after you do it successfully once. a trick is mastered, i'd say, above 90% consistency

6. Kari
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 08:00:22

blahblahting wrote: a trick is learned when after you do it successfully once. a trick is mastered, i'd say, above 90% consistency
    Not necessarily true. I accidentally did a trick. That does not mean I learned it. Especially since I haven't been able to do it since. I have not learned it specifically. I have only learned how I am supposed to do it.

7. hapopo
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 10:05:10

8. Kari
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 17:16:36

hapopo wrote: im confused you have not learned it but you have only learned it
    You can learn how to do it but not learn to do it. Two different things. Knowing how to do something does not mean you have done it. Does that make more sense? ^^

9. flaming oracle
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 18:22:12

wouldn't it be more like when you can do a trick 100x in a row is more like it? and to be able to do it without looking? where you can pretty much almost do the trick your aiming for with almost anything???

10. penzila
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 18:29:01

flame sivics wrote: wouldn't it be more like when you can do a trick 100x in a row is more like it? and to be able to do it without looking? where you can pretty much almost do the trick your aiming for with almost anything???
    That would be mastering it.. You've learned a trick when you can do it like half the time in my mind

11. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 18:37:44

Kari wrote: You can learn how to do it but not learn to do it. Two different things. Knowing how to do something does not mean you have done it. Does that make more sense? ^^
    No. Please explain!

12. Kari
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 19:25:42

It's basically like somebody telling and showing me how to do Hai tua. I now have the knowledge of how it is done but I have not done it.

13. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 19:27:44

Kari wrote: It's basically like somebody telling and showing me how to do Hai tua. I now have the knowledge of how it is done but I have not done it.
    What percentage did you vote for? I am slowly understanding your explaination now. :)

14. Miku
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 20:33:20

really, pen spinning is easy to learn, but difficult to master. learning and mastering are very different (sun)

15. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 22:17:18

Assuming ''mastering'' a trick is meant by learning I would say if you test yourself by filming you doing the trick ten times and you fail more than two of them you have not learned the trick.

16. Kari
    Date: Mon, Dec 19 2011 00:05:08

Mats wrote: What percentage did you vote for? I am slowly understanding your explaination now. :)
    I didn't vote.

17. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 19 2011 00:30:26

Kari wrote: I didn't vote.
    Intriguing, why? OT: How fucked up is that word -> intriguing <- :wtf:

18. Kari
    Date: Mon, Dec 19 2011 07:04:53

Mats wrote: Intriguing, why? OT: How fucked up is that word -> intriguing <- :wtf:
    Because I don't have an answer good enough for the question you are asking. Like I have been saying, that depends on the trick for the consistency. That also depends on the person, that is if they decide to sit and do every trick until the consistency of all tricks is to their liking.

19. penzila
    Date: Fri, Dec 23 2011 04:19:49

ChainBreak wrote: Assuming ''mastering'' a trick is meant by learning I would say if you test yourself by filming you doing the trick ten times and you fail more than two of them you have not learned the trick.
    Not necessarily.. Learning the trick is about getting the motion, understanding how to do it and you get relatively good at it. Mastering is completely your persistency with addition of your own style.

20. midniteferret
    Date: Fri, Dec 23 2011 05:05:10

Though all of you have good points, I have to say 90 because when i started I could do the ta 10% of the time but I don't consider it learnt until i have it solid. However, things like the fingerpass are more indefinite.

21. Enkronidus
    Date: Fri, Dec 23 2011 08:59:17

Very interesting philosophy, definition of learnt vs. mastered. If you got the gist of the trick you're learning and has been able to do it so far, at least once, then you have learnt it.

22. Enigmatic
    Date: Fri, Dec 23 2011 17:49:41

I think if you can do it more times than you fail then you learned the trick

23. neowulf
    Date: Sun, Jan 15 2012 22:30:21

I agree with @Enigmatic. Personally, getting a trick to work out 6 out of 10 times for me, that's when I know I've learned it. 9/10 times I think is mastered.