UPSB v4

The Vault / Mentors

1. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 10:31:33

If you are a good pen spinner (thought I was likely to find some in here), then why not join mentors and help push some of our newer pen spinners? http://forum.upsb.info/group.php?groupid=73

2. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 13:10:26

I'm really big on this idea, I'm wondering how much support this will get from mods and Zombo though... having a group is all good but hard to advertise and hard to get working properly what was brought up in the very formal form of shoutbox chatting is possibly having a different coloured name for mentors or some of UPSB's better spinners. I'm not sure if uve been to www.teamliquid.net at all but some of the more respected players have a different background to their post, it really lets you know who to be 100% confident in what kind of support can we look at from the higher ups here? i think itd be really cool... ive been in UPSB at least 4 yrs with no thoughts of leaving, still making AT LEAST weekly videos... im not going anywhere... id be happy to support this one

3. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 13:15:25

joined group as mentor (sun)

4. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 14:53:09

Pen Ninja wrote: what kind of support can we look at from the higher ups here? i think itd be really cool... ive been in UPSB at least 4 yrs with no thoughts of leaving, still making AT LEAST weekly videos... im not going anywhere... id be happy to support this one
    What kind of support would you like? I just stickied the link in the shoutbox lol, I'll try to spread the word as much as I can, but me being a mod doesn't really help that, you guys can spread the word as well as I can

5. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 15:02:48

strat1227 wrote: What kind of support would you like? I just stickied the link in the shoutbox
    Exactly this kind of stuff.

6. fang
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 15:26:55

Hmm, is this mentor only for general spinning? Maybe an idea for creating catagories!~

So we get something like: General mentors (fundamentals, +rev. and low advanced tricks) Highadvanced mentors (for High advanced tricks, linking and hybrids) and maybe a 2p1h/2p2h mentor (for starting both hands spinners) Cuz I don't think even pro's can help with all the styles

7. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 15:34:13

It says in the mentor welcome thread to mentors that if they can't answer a question, they should say so. The student can then ask another mentor. They can ask on the mentoring group forum if they think it's going to be something few people can help with. The welcome post:

Students: -You can send a mentor a PM at anytime about anything pen spinning wise and they will do their best to help. -You can make yourself a progress thread in this group if you like (I highly recommend it!). You can keep posting videos etc to the thread and then look back as the months pass and see how much you have improved. If a mentor asks for a video, it might be good to post it in your progress thread. Mentors: -Expect PMs from students asking questions and reply to them as best you can. If you don't know, then say, perhaps another mentor will. -Check progress threads and put in any useful comments you have. Mentors list (you can PM these people with questions and for general help and advice): Pen Ninja. DrakeohMeteor007 Hippo2626 i.suk Mats.

8. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 16:59:42

if you need something, make a formal proposal listing all the things + reasoning

9. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 19:46:17

So wait, it's not a 1-to-1 situation with a mentor and a mentee?

10. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 21:26:49

i think the problem with that is that currently I have Abyss asking me about hybrids and around combos... which is good... but if he turns around and asks about FLTA > palmspin cont of pun news, im not going to be of any help at all

11. neoknux_009
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 21:50:17

then we have a tournament of mentorees and battle them like pokemon x) i am interested in mentoring, but i kinda also wanted to get mentored D; . So put me in for being a mentor.

12. Pen Ninja
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 00:08:35

you need to be listed as a mentor but there's nothing saying you cant just PM mentors like everyone else

13. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 05:27:32

Give Mentors a special user group like the researchers? Would it be a good idea if instead of a 1 on 1 mentoring, it would be like each mentor teaches a specific area. For example, i.suk can teach power tricking, Neo and I can cover the artistic side and Penja can do difficulty or something like that.

14. iColor
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 05:29:57

Mentors could have live seminars with several mentors hosting the class.

15. Pen Ninja
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 07:57:49

I tried to set up an express tinychat or mebeam lesson with Abyss last night, had no luck wouldnt mind doing it for a bunch of people at once

16. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 08:33:46

Yea I've mentored a couple of people before as well. It gets really frustrating when you offer you're help to others and then they make it so difficult for you.

17. miyat
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 20:20:05

Pmed you mats. Joined to be a mentor, but no response... I think iColor's idea is nice. Even without a live seminar, mentor's could have more than one student at time, but the student would have only one mentor. So it would be still one on one for the student.

18. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 21:11:09

i see a lot of ideas but no formal plan arrange all the ideas together and see what you need

19. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Tue, Dec 13 2011 23:35:36

Will be available for anything you need.

20. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 14 2011 00:14:08

miyat wrote: Pmed you mats. Joined to be a mentor, but no response...
    Because I have to be online to respond. ;) I do sometimes (rarely) go away from the computer.

21. JC
    Date: Wed, Dec 14 2011 07:52:37

I agree with the thoughts that mentees should only have 1 mentor that they are assigned to, while mentors can have more than one mentee (with perhaps a cap at 3? so that their focus isn't divided up too much, if there are too many mentees...we'll just have to try and get more mentors, put them on a waitlist, or see if any mentors would be willing to take on another one). And as for mentees asking questions that mentors don't know the answer to (like what Pen Ninja was saying on the other page), mentors should know enough to know where they can direct questions. So Pen Ninja you might know who else on this board knows more about doing a FLTA > palmspin cont of pun news and then, you can just tell your mentee to ask that person directly. The introductory message to new members doesn't necessarily need to have a list of all the names of the mentors I think. If they're so new, they wouldn't know who anyone is anyway so it doesn't matter. Just provide a brief description of the mentoring program and say, if they would like to be a part of it for them to please send a message to __________ As for group mentoring sessions -- I think it's a good idea, but I don't know how well it'll work out? Perhaps just keep it simple and just this for now and see how it goes? And then have it move on to the next stages as this becomes successful.