UPSB v4

Manipulative Arts / Piano

1. phinamthi
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 20:04:53

:? I don't really understand "Manipulative", but who plays piano? Some songs? :D -Back to Life, Giovanni Allevi -River Flows in You, Yiruma

2. Gash
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 20:30:49

Hi Phinamthi! I guess piano can fall under manipulative o_O "Any of various objects designed to be moved or arranged by hand as a means of developing motor skills or understanding abstractions, especially in mathematics." Songs that I play - River Flows In You ^.^ - Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy VIII - Eyes On Me And also other classical songs that my music teacher makes me play >_<

3. phinamthi
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 22:24:32

Gash wrote: Hi Phinamthi! I guess piano can fall under manipulative o_O "Any of various objects designed to be moved or arranged by hand as a means of developing motor skills or understanding abstractions, especially in mathematics."
    LOL. :trollface:

4. RicLu98
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 22:42:39

i play piano

5. wee~
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 23:26:14

i play too :3

6. Danny116
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 23:32:13

i looove piano x) although i stopped lessons i do play on my own Apologize - Onerepublic Viva La Vida - Coldplay Life in Technicolor II - Coldplayother stuff Secret time travel theme (fast ofc x) - Jay Chou ehh other stuff too i guess Sx im currently attempting to learn Cagayake Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgsyWmb0ueY&feature=related) but its too booss Q.Q

7. phinamthi
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 00:21:22

:L Any of you can play Summer, Joe Hisaishi?

8. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 00:48:14

Piano is fantastic! Can't be the great Romantic composers: Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Alkan and Chopin. <3 Not to say that's the only good piano music, but it's the best! The most 'pianistic', I think.

9. Abyss
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 05:39:06

i play the piano :D havnt really touched it in a long time :/

10. Eruption
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 06:24:14

I play the piano but I can only play classical songs :/

11. hahakumquat
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 08:15:09

real men can improvise.

12. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 10:15:41

I do =D I play classical and some Scott Joplin. As most of you know, some classical music is just plain difficult. Also, I can't improvise for my life right now, and I definitely don't compose atm. HOWEVER I hope to learn both composition and improvisation in the future. You need facebook to see it. Inspiration: [video=youtube;8alxBofd_eQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alxBofd_eQ&feature=share[/video] [video=youtube;2lZ_52DOXis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZ_52DOXis[/video]

13. phinamthi
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 14:14:24

ShadrCom3t wrote: You need facebook to see it. Inspiration: [video=youtube;8alxBofd_eQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alxBofd_eQ&feature=share[/video]
    :wtf: how old are you? That was crazy. and at the video... O.O SHE IS HAWT. lol jk, but that is amazing

14. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 15:15:29

phinamthi wrote: :wtf: how old are you? That was crazy. and at the video... O.O SHE IS HAWT. lol jk, but that is amazing
    Piano isn't always about super hard pieces. Check out this beautiful, astounding work of Alkan: [video=youtube;7W31BhXC-Js]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W31BhXC-Js[/video] Music from another land.

15. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 17:30:38

@phinamthi I'm 17.

Mats wrote: Piano isn't always about super hard pieces. Check out this beautiful, astounding work of Alkan: [vid] Music from another land.
    You have no idea how much I love that stuff. I would play pieces like that, but I have to practice for auditions ATM. Plus my piano teacher is like... that's too easy. :bored: FML

16. phinamthi
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 18:02:43

@ShadrCom3t Oh lol. I'm so young :3, That stuff is way to hard for me, though, I play stuff that seems nice and beautiful I wonder why Piano teachers are so strict though :wtf:

17. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 18:29:04

Take lessons under me. I am not strict!

18. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 18:30:47

ShadrCom3t wrote: @phinamthi I'm 17. You have no idea how much I love that stuff. I would play pieces like that, but I have to practice for auditions ATM. Plus my piano teacher is like... that's too easy. :bored: FML
    Your teacher says Alkan is too easy? Erm... :wtf:

19. phinamthi
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 18:49:28

Mats wrote: Your teacher says Alkan is too easy? Erm... :wtf:
    I know right?

20. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 19:00:26

No. I don't know. I cannot ever imagine a piano teaching saying Alkan's works were too easy.

21. phinamthi
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 20:38:42

Mats wrote: No. I don't know. I cannot ever imagine a piano teaching saying Alkan's works were too easy.
    *facepalm* That's what I meant

22. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 20:50:36

No I mean, I literally can't imagine this event happening - I don't believe it. No pianist of any reasonable standard would ever say Alkan was too easy. He is arguably the hardest composer of all to play. No piano teacher would ever say this.

23. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 12:18:56

Mats wrote: He is arguably the hardest composer of all to play. No piano teacher would ever say this.
    lol no she'd be like "I'd rather you play something else. Something 'more you/your style.' " Not that it's easy. That's not easy. DERP The beginning key signature hurt my eyes. I didn't watch past 4mins though, so I was like "oh this is pretty nice, could maybe do this" when I made my last comment. Watching it again, after about 4 someting it was like "WTF what am I supposed to do? What fingering- I don't even." :facepalm: my bad or even headdesk lol

24. midniteferret
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 23:31:30

srry guys but I hate piano...took it for about 5 years and then quit, then I took up flute for a year then quit, then I took up sax for half a year then quit... so it might just be that I suck at music...

25. phinamthi
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 23:55:58

midniteferret wrote: srry guys but I hate piano...took it for about 5 years and then quit, then I took up flute for a year then quit, then I took up sax for half a year then quit... so it might just be that I suck at music...
    5 years of practice and money. In my toilet. LOL, when you said "then I took up sax" I thought you said "then I took up sex for half an year" xDD btw, no one sucks at music. You just suck ba- at being patient

26. Kei
    Date: Wed, Mar 7 2012 23:07:11

I tried piano before but I got really bored

27. happywendigo
    Date: Thu, Jun 12 2014 00:09:04

I've been playing the piano for about 8 years. I started when I was 9 and I did have a crisis point where I hated having to practice but I got over that. I still feel noobish with the amount of mistakes I make when I play. I used to play what my teacher prescribed but I found more interest playing the pieces I chose myself (don't get me wrong, I still like the pieces given to me). It might be just me but piano playing might have help improve my penspinning skills. I think for some people it takes time for things to click but you normally become impatient before that happens....