UPSB v4

Manipulative Arts / Martial Arts

1. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 02:20:14

Hi! Any of you guys do any form of martial arts? I used to do tae kwon do from like 2 years then kinda rage quit lol. Now im trying to get into shaolin/wushu stuff. Im going to purchase a fei tou (flying weight similar to the rope dart) and probably going to learn on my own lol. Anyways.... discuss!

2. Wind
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 06:01:23

Wing chun. Been doing it for about 5 years now. Fuuuunnnn

3. Tetsip
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 06:13:13

Meh. I'd do anything really. Except tae kwon do. i hated it lolol. It sucks cause there's nothing in Florida >_> I found a wing chun place really close that im going to check out. They don't have a website but yeah.... What's non-classical wing chun compared to wing chun?

4. chris
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 07:33:36

I'm taking up Taekwondo. Would like to take up others as well, if I have time. [spoiler=rant] I would frickin liek to rage quit at taekwondo as well. been doin it for about 6-7 years nao. And it takes up too much of me. I frickin hate it nao. Clinging to me and sucking my lifestream. :/ actually, I tried to quit, but my instructor put me in a position that I cannot argue. you see, when I told my mom I was going to quit, my coach huddled me and part of my teammates one day and talked about perseverance, then he asked me if I was going to quit. Of course I'd be ashamed if I said yes. Of course, I succeeded in quitting, for 1 frickin day. My bro started to hurl stuff at me like "Practice nao!" , "Why didn't you practice? Are you lazy?", stuff like that. Gee.... :emo: I'm so frickin raging about this right now. I can't do any fricking thing about it. if only it isn't going to be part of my college scholarship... FFFFFUUUUUUUU.... :emo: /ragequit [/spoiler]

5. darkrose
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 08:10:59

lol chrisps maybe i'll see you at some competitions or have already seen you?? have you been to nationals or any US wide tourneys? i went to a few US ones last one was feb 2010 las vegas us open

6. chris
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 08:30:11

Nope. No int'l competitions yet.

7. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 08:49:22

chrisPS wrote: I'm taking up Taekwondo. Would like to take up others as well, if I have time. [spoiler=rant] I would frickin liek to rage quit at taekwondo as well. been doin it for about 6-7 years nao. And it takes up too much of me. I frickin hate it nao. Clinging to me and sucking my lifestream. :/ actually, I tried to quit, but my instructor put me in a position that I cannot argue. you see, when I told my mom I was going to quit, my coach huddled me and part of my teammates one day and talked about perseverance, then he asked me if I was going to quit. Of course I'd be ashamed if I said yes. Of course, I succeeded in quitting, for 1 frickin day. My bro started to hurl stuff at me like "Practice nao!" , "Why didn't you practice? Are you lazy?", stuff like that. Gee.... :emo: I'm so frickin raging about this right now. I can't do any fricking thing about it. if only it isn't going to be part of my college scholarship... FFFFFUUUUUUUU.... :emo: /ragequit [/spoiler]
    lol quitting would be dishonorabrr

8. Clyde
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 14:48:37

@wind do you have that wooden dummy ip man practices on? if you do can you record a vid of yourself doing that cool thing ip man does? lol

9. Wind
    Date: Sat, Jul 17 2010 22:39:07

clyde616 wrote: @wind do you have that wooden dummy ip man practices on? if you do can you record a vid of yourself doing that cool thing ip man does? lol
    lol I'll do it when I have the time ^^

10. Tetsip
    Date: Sun, Jul 18 2010 03:44:09

Awwww fuck. the Wing Chun place closed down :( I guess I gotta do kung fu now.... but wing chun looks so pro :(

11. chris
    Date: Sun, Jul 18 2010 04:32:02

Mike, yah >< so hard for me, yet so easy for others that I have seen that have come and go... ><

12. Eso
    Date: Sun, Jul 18 2010 15:05:14

I don't take anything right now, but I have taken some Kendo classes before. I want to start taking Wing Chun classes in the future. I am sort of self-studying... but without a partner and only YouTube videos >_>; I would also love to take BJJ and Muay Thai but I don't have enough time for all of that.

13. ChiefSnake
    Date: Mon, Jul 19 2010 02:59:11

My dad never let me do karate he knew I would be too lethal as a weapon. He knew that one minute I'd be doing the high kick and the next minute I'd be holding a beating heart. Seriously, if I could take anything I would take wushu. Or learn to fight with stick. Props to those of you who have stuck with something for 5+ years. I don't have that sort of dedication.

14. Ohayo
    Date: Mon, Jul 19 2010 03:08:36

i've been doing wushu for nearly 7 years now but i stopped for 1 year to take a break but i lost my flexibility D:< fuck. my favorite weapon is the bo staff next to the broadsword XD but i kinda want to learn dual broadswords right now

15. Tetsip
    Date: Tue, Jul 20 2010 04:33:52

Had the first day of kung fu today. It was really really fun. BUT HARD AS FUCK. my body is in pain .___. I don't know what style i want to adapt though. Mizong Luohan, Lost Track, Ying Zhao Fan Zi, Eagle's claw, Xing Yi Quan (Form-Intent Boxing),Ji Quan (8 Extremes Fist), Ba Gua Zhang (8 Triagrams Palm), or Shaolin Quan D:

16. ace2459
    Date: Tue, Jul 20 2010 18:34:35

I've trained Brazillian Jiu Jitsu for almost 2 years now. Absolutely love it. Never really thought of it as a manipulative art, but I guess it could be considered as such. Heck of a work out at least.

17. JMember
    Date: Tue, Jul 20 2010 18:40:14

Wing Chun ftw! =P The wooden man thing is fun ;D

18. kawearo
    Date: Thu, Jul 29 2010 21:56:58

I'm not taking anything now, but i'm trying to get my parents to let me take a Krav Maga class

19. Tetsip
    Date: Thu, Jul 29 2010 23:22:26

holy shit. krav maga looks ruthless ._. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKjpdWyYMc looks so.. violent xD

20. Vilius
    Date: Tue, Aug 24 2010 13:36:32

MY EXPIRIENCE: 1year of aikido and 4 months muay thai. this year gonna cootinioue muay thay and start freestyle wrestling (awesome martial art)

21. ArmorKingRulez
    Date: Fri, Sep 10 2010 14:07:28

2nd Dan in Aikido..

22. Dylan
    Date: Sun, Oct 10 2010 18:51:36

started sport karate like 6 months ago, friend has been taking it like 4 years though

23. mapjay
    Date: Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:43:53

bleah....im taekwondo 2nd dan onli...u guys are all so pro especially the wing chun guy......i wan to take up capoeira...any comments??

24. Resonance
    Date: Tue, Oct 12 2010 16:25:12

I was in Karate for a while a few years ago, but as we actually started battles I quit.... Meh, I actually want to try a new martial art, but I have no idea which, or what are the options in the area (probably not much) Also, do all martial arts require getting a suit and everything? seems a bit troublesome, especially if I don't know if I'm going to stick with it

25. itzDaKine
    Date: Tue, Oct 12 2010 17:15:42

mapjay wrote: bleah....im taekwondo 2nd dan onli...u guys are all so pro especially the wing chun guy......i wan to take up capoeira...any comments??
    capoeira?! i love it. itz alot of fun nd helps with bboying. but i truly wanna learn Drunken Fist! that seems like a great fighting style

26. itzDaKine
    Date: Tue, Oct 12 2010 17:16:32

mapjay wrote: bleah....im taekwondo 2nd dan onli...u guys are all so pro especially the wing chun guy......i wan to take up capoeira...any comments??
    capoeira?! i love it. itz alot of fun nd helps with bboying. but i truly wanna learn Drunken Fist! that seems like a great fighting style

27. mapjay
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 12:08:34

capoeira FTW!!!drunken fist is cool but really hard cos it requires a lot of strength and balance

28. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 19:49:43

Kyokushin... I like spinning nunchucks and bo staff other than pens

29. Sc00t
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 20:54:39

wrestling

mapjay wrote: capoeira FTW!!!drunken fist is cool but really hard cos it requires a lot of strength and balance
    damn i thought capoeira was dancing, you could definitely turn it into dancing

30. Apho
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 21:34:48

i tend to think of wrestling as more of a sport though, like for school teams

31. mapjay
    Date: Thu, Dec 30 2010 15:36:38

anybody here know about kino mutai?hahaha

32. KSD
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 21:37:04

I take Aikido. And for the people wondering : Capoeira is a fight, that was hidden in a dance.

33. Rapid
    Date: Fri, Apr 8 2011 04:30:48

taekwondo...but i stopped and taked muay thai instead ;) fighting is not in my looks so when i was a new fag at a school, the school bully got his face bashed with my knee....self defense :)

34. capoboy
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 02:51:27

I did tae kwon do for 3-4 years, but I stopped. In high school, I practiced capoeira for a year and a half. Now, I take Aikido. Martial art is fun, and most importantly, makes you healthy :D.

35. Tentcell
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 22:49:48

Ive taken Isshin Ryu since 1st Grade, which has been about 8 years. Im a first degree black belt (the douche that runs the place doesn't let anyone under 16 become a second degree...) and participate in many different tournies throughout NY. I went into a few the WKF tornies few years back, and got some very good rankings =]

36. Nashi
    Date: Wed, May 4 2011 16:16:07

I do T´ai Chi Ch´uan a 3/4 year now. It´s pretty cool, very relaxing. We work with the sword every second week and that makes alot of fun. And it is good for my health of course. ^^

37. peninja
    Date: Mon, May 16 2011 23:47:45

screw the rope dar, chainwhip w/ flag ftw, it looks somuch cooler, but it would be smarter to practive with rope dar, casue its all metal, and alos, im trying to to the worm and jumprope thing right now

38. peninja
    Date: Thu, May 26 2011 05:42:58

does krav maga count? ima try it

39. KhaozBeast
    Date: Mon, May 30 2011 21:33:25

I do wrestling. Yes, it is a martial art. I really want to do Wing Chun and Muay Thai, at least once in my lifetime.

40. aznpenspinner
    Date: Mon, Jun 6 2011 00:32:56

kung fu for 11 years and wushu fo 8 and im only 13 \: of course i got my black belt though (:

41. mapjay
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 14:03:40

getting a black belt is easy.all u nid is time.but being a good fighter,THAT is different.

42. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 15:24:48

aznpenspinner wrote: kung fu for 11 years and wushu fo 8 and im only 13 \: of course i got my black belt though (:
    kung fu when you were 2? wtf

43. aznpenspinner
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 17:06:02

yea my parents were strict >.> heres proof

44. Tentcell
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 19:36:47

aznpenspinner wrote: yea my parents were strict >.> heres proof http://i52.tinypic.com/fx88ar.jpg
    So your saying youve taken kung fu for 11 years, since you were two, and you just received you "junior" Black belt? It only takes about 6-7 years to get a black belt at my studio. And its not like we produce crappy students either. I think its rather ridiculous to start at 2, I mean its not like you would learn and retain too much...

45. aznpenspinner
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 21:16:00

Tentcell2 wrote: So your saying youve taken kung fu for 11 years, since you were two, and you just received you "junior" Black belt? It only takes about 6-7 years to get a black belt at my studio. And its not like we produce crappy students either. I think its rather ridiculous to start at 2, I mean its not like you would learn and retain too much...
    it wasnt my fault i started at 2 and plus the school was strict. To get a black belt in my school you had to be there for atleast 10 years. and its a junior blackbelt cuz im under 18

46. RPGgrenade
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 00:04:49

I think i may be the only guy who took up boxing as a martial art... been doing it on and off for nearly two years now. It may not have the overall flashiness of the other martial arts, but it IS a good way to fight, and despite popular belief, it does have a few takedowns.

47. Forest
    Date: Fri, Jul 15 2011 12:55:39

aznpenspinner wrote: kung fu for 11 years and wushu fo 8 and im only 13 \: of course i got my black belt though (:
    i do wushu and kungfu too! I do traditional and contemporary. I also fight (san da) do u? What forms do u do? I kno Chang Quan Compulsory -> this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuRdlZWMTiQ&feature=related. (not me, im not that good xP) I also kno the compulsory staff -> this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolbFKl2zQ0&feature=related (not me either, none of these are me) and the compulsory straightsword -> this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mnUX0iI4aA&feature=related I also kno some straightsword forms, staff forms, broadsword forms, and some more chang quan forms xD i don't have a belt tho cuz we don't have belts. I've been learning for 6 years already. xD

48. Nios
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:29:45

after watchin those vids i really wanna do this. but my wallet doesnt

49. Forest
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:37:10

haha lol. xD i only pay $20 per hour for a private lesson. it's not that expensive compared what others make u pay.

50. aznpenspinner
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 14:44:17

LYFOjh wrote: i do wushu and kungfu too! I do traditional and contemporary. I also fight (san da) do u? What forms do u do? I kno Chang Quan Compulsory -> this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuRdlZWMTiQ&feature=related. (not me, im not that good xP) I also kno the compulsory staff -> this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolbFKl2zQ0&feature=related (not me either, none of these are me) and the compulsory straightsword -> this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mnUX0iI4aA&feature=related I also kno some straightsword forms, staff forms, broadsword forms, and some more chang quan forms xD i don't have a belt tho cuz we don't have belts. I've been learning for 6 years already. xD
    i do more proformance wushu. we still learn traditional in our school but we practice proformance kicks and stuff. the wushu forms i know is like 5 stance boxing. Mother and son boxing, and some long fist form, idk what its called in english. i know internal forms too (: its kinda more advance. i also know taichijian 32 its a straight sword tai chi form i learned from there and i learned all sorts of other stuff. and thats just 1 school (:

51. Clyde
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 15:49:40

anyone here doing wing chun/ jeet kune do ? 2 of the coolest martial arts imo aside from kung fu and wushu

52. Forest
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 19:09:31

@aznpenspinner lol i only went to one school too. xD and yea, we also do performance kicks and stuff. and lol i wanna learn internal, it's cool. i've seen by teacher do some and it's AWESOME. xDDD you must be an amazing martial artist. ;D

53. Ohayo
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 00:12:39

I've been doing wushu since I was 9 but I stopped for a year or two and now I lost all of my flexibility :/. Anyways I'm back to doing wushu and im still not top notch but I was invited to participate at ICMAC NA finals. Don't know if i should go or not.

54. Forest
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 16:33:52

@Ohayo i lost the game =_= ...i hate u...jk. but lol that's nice. u should definitely go if u have the chance. xD tournaments and really cool and fun. xD

55. aznpenspinner
    Date: Mon, Sep 12 2011 21:19:15

lol im soo late. Internal was a very interesting but hard class >_> im still getting scolded by my teacher because my movements are wrong ^^"

56. Wobster
    Date: Mon, Sep 19 2011 09:56:44

white belt karate ftw

57. Nakamaru
    Date: Wed, Oct 19 2011 05:55:24

I've been doing Tang Soo Do since i was 7. I've actually learned more through that than anything else. Looking back it is pretty wild.

58. wee~
    Date: Sun, Oct 23 2011 02:43:30

i did karate when i was younger and taekwondo last year but i quit. i went to two schools xD everyone calls taekwondo karate though :facepalm: anyone ever done aikido? sounds fun, might wanna try it :P

59. LongCK
    Date: Fri, Oct 28 2011 20:02:20

i learned taewondo for 9 years, still learn now ^^

60. wee~
    Date: Fri, Oct 28 2011 20:26:41

@LongCK niceeee :D my friend's dad owns a taekwondo school

61. LongCK
    Date: Fri, Oct 28 2011 20:54:09

@wee~: really?? where do you live ???????????

62. wee~
    Date: Fri, Oct 28 2011 21:17:00

new jersey^^ (america) my friend's dad orginally lived in korea :3

63. LongCK
    Date: Sun, Oct 30 2011 00:53:00

wee~ wrote: new jersey^^ (america) my friend's dad orginally lived in korea :3
    WOW, cool man, i live at VA ^^

64. Ohayo
    Date: Sun, Jan 8 2012 04:02:35

Good news for you guys that live in the temple city area, one of my old coaches that moved to cali opened up a new wushu place with one of her former team mates. http://wushuactionstar.com/wasa/

65. Hahnda
    Date: Sun, Jan 8 2012 05:51:46

Wind wrote: Wing chun. Been doing it for about 5 years now. Fuuuunnnn
    love the wing chun, studied it for about 3-4 years. Also I did Taiji and that wasn't bad either. Internal martial arts are pretty cool, but external stuff seems to get all the hype.

66. Hahnda
    Date: Sun, Jan 8 2012 05:53:48

Ohayo wrote: Good news for you guys that live in the temple city area, one of my old coaches that moved to cali opened up a new wushu place with one of her former team mates. http://wushuactionstar.com/wasa/
    I wonder if your old coach knew my old teacher, SiuFong Evans and her daughter Jingjing from the Jing Institute in San Diego...

67. Ohayo
    Date: Sun, Jan 8 2012 06:16:03

Hahnda wrote: I wonder if your old coach knew my old teacher, SiuFong Evans and her daughter Jingjing from the Jing Institute in San Diego...
    lol which coach? Li Ying? I'm kinda curious why she isn't included in the school instructors list :/ she's practically on the main page lol

68. Hahnda
    Date: Sun, Jan 8 2012 06:27:20

Ohayo wrote: lol which coach? Li Ying? I'm kinda curious why she isn't included in the school instructors list :/ she's practically on the main page lol
    Jing Li the first one on the instructors page. She coached at UCSD and I know the Jing Institute was involved with them somehow. There were a few UCSD wushu team members who trained there.

69. Wobster
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 06:52:10

Didn't do martial arts, I got a gun licence instead. :trollface:

70. Krypton
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:59:40

Can anyone do a 540 Kick here? It's Taekwondo :) I just have trouble chambering my kicking leg after I jumped.

71. mapjay
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 14:03:35

trick 540 or true 540 tkd kick? lol i can do trick 540 but the tkd one is hard as hell

72. Krypton
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 14:22:26

Truth be told, I can't do a proper Tornado Kick. If I can chamber rightly then 540 shouldn't be too difficult. Yeah trickster's 540 :)

73. Pendragon
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 16:44:21

anyone know the butterfly kick? it´s look so awesome but i thing nearly noone can really use that in a fight

74. mapjay
    Date: Tue, Jan 10 2012 22:31:09

Oh trick 540...must really jump and twist your hips. B-kick is petty much useless.just get it more vertical and u have an aerial.I can do aerial but not B-kick

75. Krypton
    Date: Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:30:14

Pendragon wrote: anyone know the butterfly kick? it´s look so awesome but i thing nearly noone can really use that in a fight
    Bkick is prolly the only thing I can do properly. I need to get it more horizontal. Bknife is cooler :D

76. FingerNotPen
    Date: Mon, Dec 3 2012 16:48:24

i learn silat gayong :)

77. SparkX
    Date: Mon, Dec 24 2012 22:42:15

I do Wushu xD I know some karate ....

78. Reks
    Date: Sun, Dec 30 2012 17:49:36

FingerNotPen wrote: i learn silat gayong :)
    Same like me :D

79. FingerNotPen
    Date: Mon, Dec 31 2012 04:37:33

wow its almost rare to find someone who learns silat

80. CBC
    Date: Wed, Jan 2 2013 06:15:04

Wing Chun ^__^

81. Demotaiz
    Date: Thu, Jan 3 2013 02:31:15

um...i can slap kinda hard

82. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Jan 3 2013 20:54:11

Anyone who knows Taekkyeon? (택견)

83. Pen15
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 21:47:28

Heard wing chun is hard to put into practice. Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee is more practical and easier. At least that's what i read online.

84. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 22:52:01

taekwondo is life.