UPSB v4

Off-topic / Official 2011 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread.

1. King
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 05:48:15

Sooooooooo who is super stoked for this season!!!!!!! as;dklfjlakhsdf! I just got my skis back from the shop. Bought a new jacket and boots. Supposedly its a La Nina year so its not going to be so great. But IDGAF. Question for you snow-sports enthusiasts: Ski/snowboard? Home mountain? How often you ski/snowboard? Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced? ALSO. Before anyone says "trolol snowboarding is better then skiing/skiing is better then snowboarding," each sport is too different to compare. They only share two attributes: They are done in snow and they are fucking awesome.

2. King
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 05:52:44

Oh... Ski/snowboard? Ski Home mountain? Stevens Pass, WA How often you ski/snowboard? Erry weekend. Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced? Advanced. I ski on Rossi S3's and I ski in the park or hike to untracked snow, because there is nothing more jizztastic then floating above the snow.

3. Sankaku
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 06:24:01

Skiing > Snowboarding HERP DERRRRPPPP :3 But yeah, I ski, have done so for ~15 years now. Even though I'm from Vancouver, I gotta say that Whistler is a steaming pile of crap. The snow sucks, it's slushy at the bottom, the lines are 45 minutes long and people are rude and cut all the damn time. Every Christmas break my family has been going to Sun Peaks out near Kamloops, it's a smaller resort with good beginner, intermediate and expert runs. If you know Nancy Greene, Sun Peaks is her home mountain and she's co-owner of the resort or something. All I'll say is that I got to try on one of her medals a long time ago, about 7 or 8 years ago. I like to think I'm intermediate expert, and I've tried a couple of double black runs when I was younger, but now, I don't want to hurt myself cuz it'll put me out of work, and I want moneeeeyyyy lol. Same goes for hitting the jumps, I won't tackle the huge terrain park jumps, but I do wander into the glades every now and then and do the bunny hops on green runs. If there's powder, I'm all over it and try to wreck it for everyone else xD Right now, I'm on Atomics, not sure which ones, but they're short, light and super fun. I want twin tips, cuz going backwards is suuupppperrrr fun, but seeing as they cost $700, I guess I could weight lol ($700 can get me a set of Koni struts for the MR2 :O lol)

4. browndog12
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 15:12:51

FKIN PUMPED TO LIVE IN SLC lol i still havent gotten my gear yet :( i usually ski on super thin skis, last year i had a pair of old old old X-Scream Teams

5. King
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 18:26:23

Psshhh Kaky you gotta buy last years models for like 30% off. I bought mine and when they first came out they were $850. But i got them for $500 :D

6. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 22:59:14

I ski, twice or three times a year at Squaw Valley (the Olympic site!). I mostly do intermediate stuff. I can do blacks, but I usually end up going butt first for about half the way on blacks. @Sankaku: tatkjlkayj ay Whistler Mountain Bike Park is so gooooooooood. Wanna buy me tickets for next season?

7. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 14 2011 23:23:32

been skiing for a long time used to be a ski instructor at a local mountain, so yeah used to ski 2.5 days a week. in ontario theres not many slopes so I go back to quebec to ski usually I like to go to Jay Peak in Vermont

8. Calvin
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 00:00:13

I've been snowboarding for ~8 years. I'm not much of ''tricks'' guy. I prefer powder and tight forests where you have to slalom your way through. I would normally snowboard in the regional ski centers ,if we can call them like that. But a couple years ago my dad started backcountry snowboarding and I've been following him for 3 years. We got bored of having to be at the ski center at 5 AM to get some powder so we found our own mountains and we've been going there ever since. We started with the snowshoes and snowboard strapped to back pack combo but last year we bought some Prior splitboards and I have to say they are really awesome. We also bought a GoPro camera and we film most of our sessions. Here's a video; [video=youtube;VhB2DJfrDgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhB2DJfrDgc[/video] Tell me what you guys think.

9. Sankaku
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 04:10:21

King wrote: Psshhh Kaky you gotta buy last years models for like 30% off. I bought mine and when they first came out they were $850. But i got them for $500 :D
    $500 can get myself a Celica wheel and springs.

10. King
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 04:34:30

OhMyGawd @Calvin I wanna ski, i wanna ski, i wanna ski. Looks like some really light pow.

11. King
    Date: Mon, Nov 21 2011 02:10:28

Couple of ski areas opened up in my region this weekend. Soooo excited. :D

12. penzila
    Date: Mon, Dec 5 2011 00:26:37

So pumped for snowboarding this year! Just go the airblaster 2012 freedom jacket. Hopefully here in chicago itll snow a crap ton again haha midwest ftw!!!

13. kaku
    Date: Mon, Dec 5 2011 09:07:46

Wish I could afford brand new gear =\ All the stuff I get is usually 3-4 years old.

14. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Dec 5 2011 09:11:20

I'm going on a 10-day snowboard trip this winter, first week of january off topic, but I'm going skydiving too. so pumped

15. penzila
    Date: Mon, Dec 5 2011 20:24:24

Strat my brother went skydiving this summer. He said it was amazing. Good luck!

16. kaku
    Date: Mon, Dec 5 2011 21:17:58

I want a (couple of) GoPro cameras D: Stick that on my helmet and take some fun footage =D Plus I can put them on the car and drive around too :P

17. King
    Date: Wed, Dec 28 2011 19:40:16

Going skiing tomorrow. (sun)

18. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Dec 31 2011 19:17:37

went to Mt Tremblant yesterday -30 plus windchill most trails open too many ppl in the afternoon = icy

19. Tentcell
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 00:06:39

In Buffalo NY, they are making snow due to it being too warm. Im hitting the slopes as soon as the real stuff comes down!

20. kaku
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 23:23:25

Came back from Sun Peaks today, really nice skiing during the week. Not really cold at all, about -6 or so only at the top of chairs, coldest day was -12 at mid mountain, about -18 with wind chill. Lots of sun during the week too, hence the name Sun Peaks :P Wasn't too busy this year either, but maybe that's cuz I stayed over on the mountain that nobody really skis. Took a huuuuggeee chunk out one of my skis though; hit an ice patch and went over some exposed rock. Fibers are coming out of the bottom D: Looking at getting some twin tips in about March, I'll check out Comor sports or something, they usually have sick sales in the spring for ski gear. Want my twin tips and poles that aren't 20 years old xDD

21. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Jan 2 2012 00:03:38

On a 1 week snowboard trip, but there's no snow. Been here 2 days and haven't made a single run yet.

22. King
    Date: Mon, Jan 2 2012 00:28:21

@kaku Ski sales are the best during the summer. Just go to a Ski/Snowboard ONLY shop and they will try to get you the best price.

23. kaku
    Date: Mon, Jan 2 2012 00:33:01

Sales start as early as March. I'll take my time xD

24. Calvin
    Date: Mon, Jan 2 2012 04:50:54

Really shitty winter as of now. Not enough snow to go backcountry snowboarding. Guess I'll have to hit a local ski center if I want to snowboard a little.

25. King
    Date: Tue, Jan 3 2012 10:03:01

Yeah. My local hill gets rain, then when the weather gets cold enough to snow, it doesnt snow :( Poopy season so far. But maybe that means a really good post-season.

26. SA1
    Date: Mon, Mar 5 2012 05:05:31

lovin the snow at Big White BC, so much powder! I love it there :happy: