UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / UPSB Modding Tournament Round 1

1. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 22:34:19

@Jonesy Hi everyone, Thanks for being patient ^_^. This thread will basically explain the rules of the tournament and how things will work out including the theme. Please please PLEASE read the entire post. Not following the directions given may result in deduction of points and possible disqualification. Thanks, Nacho [SIZE="5"]MATCHUPS[/SIZE]

SpoilerI will randomly match people up for the tournament. We have 9 contestants so we will have three 1 vs. 1 battles and one 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 battle. No one except for me will know the matchups until the results for the judging are released.
    [SIZE="5"]THEME: MAKE A MOD UNDER $15[/SIZE]
    SpoilerContestants must create a mod with a net cost of less than $15. The modder must send a text tutorial with his or her pictures that explains how to construct the mod and the parts necessary. Unless you can purchase certain pen parts separate from the entire pen [COLOR="red"]commercially[/COLOR] (e.g. Dr. Grip grips, sailor grips, etc.), the entire pen of a pen part will be considered for the cost. For example, if you were to use only the cap from an RSVP, the cost of the entire RSVP would be charged. No-name parts: If you use parts that are not well known and not on Penwish.com or other pen websites, you must take a picture of the pen within it's packaging and show a receipt that shows the cost of the pen. Foreign pens: for foreign pens that are relatively well known, I will consult traders for trade value. All prices will be taken from Penwish.com so if you purchase your pens from a different site with a better price, you must include the url to the page of the pen in the tutorial. Discounts and sales will not be considered for the overall price. So if you find a 2 for 1 deal for a pen at a store, the price will still be the original. (This is done in order to ensure that the price system is fair to all contestants. The theme is meant to see how well someone can mod within a certain amount of money rather than how well they can find deals). NOTE: THE COST OF PAPER AND ELECTRICAL TAPE AND OTHER NON-PEN SUPPLIES SUCH AS THESE WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE OVERALL COST AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT ABUSE THIS FACT AND MAKE A MOD OUT OF TAPE.
    [COLOR="red"][SIZE="5"]MODS DUE BY NOVEMBER 25TH 11:59 P.M. PACIFIC TIME[/SIZE][/COLOR] [SIZE="5"]Submission:[/SIZE]
    SpoilerJudging will be based on pictures of the mods. Send all pictures as attachments to [email][email protected][/email] You may include up to 4 [COLOR="red"]un-edited[/COLOR] photos. You may not alter your pictures with any photo-editing software. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN THE PICTURES Do not release you pictures of your mod to the public until judging for the round is over. Remember to include your tutorial. Your tutorial must be clear and you can use text, pictures and/or a video however any pictures of the overall mod must be taken out. Only pictures of the specific steps will be tolerated. NOTE THAT YOUR TUTORIAL WILL BE GIVEN TO THE JUDGES BUT NOT RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.
    [SIZE="5"]Judging:[/SIZE]
    SpoilerJudges (who shall not be named) will submit to me reviews within 5 days after the deadline. (November 30th 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time) Judges will not know the matchups (to prevent bias). Only I will know who is against whom until results for the round are released. The judging rubric is as follows: Aesthetics...5 points (looks of the mod) Originality...4 points (does not resemble a mod already in existence) Innovation...5 points (use of creativity in construction) Preference...1 point (mod that the judge likes the best will receive an extra point) Judges are allowed to use 0.5 (half) points. Example: 11.5/15. If a mod does not adhere to the theme, points will be deducted and the mod risks disqualification. Stay within the subset please!
    If you have any questions, feel free to post in the thread, email me, or pm me. Also, if you find something questionable about your mod, make sure to consult with me first before the deadline. I'll try to prevent any deduction of points for questionable issues but if you don't say anything until after you submit, I can't help you there >_< Have fun everyone. I look forward to seeing what happens! :)

2. Syrti
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 22:52:08

No points given for theme? Like for this one: A pen that costs less than another one should at least get more points. You see?

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 22:56:24

Points will not be awarded for how well a pen matches this theme since the theme in essence is a restriction only. Notice the theme is not "make the best looking and cheapest mod". Basically the theme is meant to test how original, creative, and aesthetic a modder can be under a price tag. ^_^

4. SuiXidaL
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 23:23:48

Will the person with the lowest amount of monet spent get extra points? Or will everyone be judged the same even if one person spent more than other?

5. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 23:25:31

Krispy Kreme wrote: Will the person with the lowest amount of monet spent get extra points? Or will everyone be judged the same even if one person spent more than other?
    did you even bother to read the post above?

6. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 23:41:28

BICtory will win this round~ Frog~

7. SuiXidaL
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 23:41:47

GeeGeeGee wrote: did you even bother to read the post above?
    Yeah i did, but i couldn't find anything. How about you stop being an ass and quote me ?

8. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 00:55:41

@Krispy Kreme Nope. You won't be judged on how "cheap" you are. The theme is simply to be considered a restriction and you will be judged based on your performance with this restriction. By the way prizes have not been finalized yet. I'll do that soon as well ^_^

9. Riley
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 02:20:35

FrogPrinceXD wrote: BICtory will win this round~ Frog~
    Hooray for originality. ;D

10. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 02:29:10

Good question brought up by a few people: The cost of paper and electrical tape and other non-pen modding supplies will not be factored into the cost unless you abuse this fact. Like if you make your mod completely out of tape or something. EDIT: Also something else I forgot to specify. You can use pictures to make your tutorial clear however you can not have any pictures of the overall mod by itself. They must be of the specific steps of the tutorial.

11. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 03:10:01

Tuts should be released wahahahaha!!!! ... Just kidding~ Frog~

12. Soren
    Date: Sat, Nov 12 2011 22:39:09

cant wait to see the mods!!

13. Fletch
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 04:58:07

this is kind of disappointing for me it sounds like a lot of work to track the exact costs of everything and provide proof of reciept etc. I was hoping the contest would judged more on how good the mod is? I have a bunch of old random parts around but I dont know what I paid for them...

14. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 05:08:20

The theme isn't designed to show off the best mods you can possibly have but rather it is designed to test a modder's capabilities under a cost restriction. Later in the tournament, there will be themes that will be more focused on aesthetic taste.

15. SuiXidaL
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 06:43:42

Fletch wrote: this is kind of disappointing for me it sounds like a lot of work to track the exact costs of everything and provide proof of reciept etc. I was hoping the contest would judged more on how good the mod is? I have a bunch of old random parts around but I dont know what I paid for them...
    What ever part you use, refer the to pricing of it on Penwish. If it's not on there then refer Nacho.

16. hoyeesuan
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 06:50:52

izzit too l8 to sign up nao?

17. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Nov 15 2011 06:55:57

Yes. It's already begun. I put out the interest post almost a month ago lol

18. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 05:34:45

Submissions due in 4 days~~~ @Jonesy

19. mapjay
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 06:02:05

Do I have to take a picture of all materials tgt?

20. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 06:47:43

The things you must submit are all covered in the first post :)

21. SuiXidaL
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 07:54:31

CAN I BE 5 CENTS PAST THE MARK ?! :whut: $15.05....

22. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 08:39:46

I can't make any exceptions to the rules for certain people >_<. You can still submit your mod but the thing is it's only 5 cents. The consequence point-wise for that will be extremely low.

23. Syrti
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 18:29:46

/sent. Krispy you evil chicken! Shame on you! Too much...very disappointed :(((

24. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 20:30:42

sent reply back please i have some questions. :]

25. SuiXidaL
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 21:27:07

Syrti wrote: /sent. Krispy you evil chicken! Shame on you! Too much...very disappointed :(((
    Not my fault i'm a fucking awesome modder :whut:

26. Froggy
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 22:14:01

99.99% sure u can just save by using parts from existing pens already.. unless you're THAT awesome you use every part of every pen you used :P Frog~

Krispy Kreme wrote: Not my fault i'm a fucking awesome modder :whut:

27. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Nov 23 2011 00:45:54

Thanks for submitting guys. And also to the people who are submitting soon please include your username in the email.

28. Syrti
    Date: Wed, Nov 23 2011 20:57:51

Please send an e-mail back, when you got an e-mail so everybody can be sure his work has been received. Wouldn't be nice to be pushed out off the tourney, because the e-mail did not reach ya ;)

29. SuiXidaL
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:44:14

/sent, please confirm.

30. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 17:44:52

Okay I've received so far from @Jonesy You've got 2 days left to submit ^_^

31. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 23:00:31

Last day to submit... 9 hours @Jonesy

32. papa happy
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 23:15:48

DAMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would of loved to do this :( i love modding and this souds like fun!!!! wll i quess next year :( gl luck guys :D

33. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 23:33:32

oh god please dont let it be syrti vs krispy vs gee... LOL Frog~

34. Saurkk
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 23:52:40

Sent! :').

35. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 23:55:34

Received from Saurkk. Thanks for the submission :)

36. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:10:13

I would be so happy that the person i'm matched against didn't send in (sun)

37. Apho
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:18:31

seeeent.

38. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:20:21

Received Apho. Thanks for the submission ^_^

39. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:27:25

NOOOO STOP SENDING IN :'(

40. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:36:43

Wow, such a wimp, in battles involving spinning or modding. :rofl:

41. papa happy
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 02:35:02

when do we get to see the mods ?

42. Froggy
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 02:39:45

probably after judging.. so excited to see those mods @@ Frog~

43. papa happy
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 02:51:21

yeah me to!!!!!!!! if i would of brought my modding gear on the ship with me , i sooooo would of dont this tourney :( but got to pay bills.... i would have like to pushed my self and come up with some cool stuff.... it would of been fun , but i cant wait to see what peps make..

44. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 02:52:23

Yeah the unedited pictures will be released after judging.

45. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 07:55:49

Aprox one more hour until round 1 ends !

46. mapjay
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 17:32:38

shitz -.- couldnt submit...lost the mod TT.TT so sry @Nachoaddict. would have lost anyways...

47. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 22:02:26

Riley received. Okay everyone today I'll be organizing all the entries and getting the prizes and getting everything to the judges. Thanks to everyone who submitted. Unfortunately it looks like this round will not be very competitive but you will still receive feedback from the judges on how to improve. Finally, the people who did not submit and have not supplied a reason for doing so are going to be blacklisted. If you have a legitimate reason please let me know. I didn't want to actually have to do this because it was just meant to discourage people from flaking out.

48. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 22:52:12

Very disappointing imo.

49. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 23:07:45

i hope i get a lot of feedback. mayjap why???? i seriously can't wait to see those mods. my mod is ... haha everyone gonna laugh about that. so when does the result come out?

50. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 23:15:47

GeeGeeGee wrote: i hope i get a lot of feedback. mayjap why???? i seriously can't wait to see those mods. my mod is ... haha everyone gonna laugh about that. so when does the result come out?
    5 days from when the due date was, so the 30th :P

51. Froggy
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 00:15:31

@mapjay sry, but I call that bullshit. how can you lose a mod thats like built 10 days ago? besides.. if you lost it, you could still send the tutorial to nacho (at least in text form mate) and see if he accepts it or not. sry bro. but seriously? bullshit. Frog~

52. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 01:54:22

PM's sent to judges. Judging submissions to be received by November 30th 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time

53. MickChickenn
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 04:15:32

Syrti wrote: /sent. Krispy you evil chicken! Shame on you! Too much...very disappointed :(((
    Hey, chickens arent evil! Wow. Nice excuse mapjay. I suppose your dog ate the tutorial?

54. Apho
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 04:18:33

wait, so how many total sent in?

55. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 05:11:15

6 people total. Apho, Saurkk, Syrti, GeeGeeGee, SuiXidal, and Riley. Jonesy, Fletch, and Mapjay did not submit.

56. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 05:14:20

Nachoaddict wrote: 6 people total. Apho, Saurkk, Syrti, GeeGeeGee, SuiXidal, and Riley. Jonesy, Fletch, and Mapjay did not submit.
    2/3 sent. So 3 people just got a free pass onto the next round :facepalm:

57. PREDATORNET
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 06:58:51

I suppose you could just make new, on the spot matchups.

58. Zeta
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 20:36:09

3 days to go... But 5 days just for judging that's very long.

59. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 20:39:38

Don't worry. The judges are responding very quickly. I only said 5 to give people additional time in case they were super busy. As soon as the results are in I'll release them.