UPSB v4

Off-topic / Android Thread

1. chris
    Date: Sat, Nov 5 2011 13:59:28

First off, I searched the word, "Android" in this forum and found this to be the closest one. http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=6143 However, it catered to a specific topic, and so I wanted to start this a some sort of general Android thread. To start off, which launchers do you use? I preferably use Launcher 7 (cause I want it like that), but I'm leaning towards lightweight <1MB launchers. GT i9003 XXKPM CF-Rooted, btw.

2. Jazz
    Date: Sat, Nov 5 2011 15:02:22

Galaxy S :O Im using a S2 right now, non rooted(too lazy to root). And off topic we go.

3. Explosion101
    Date: Sat, Nov 5 2011 18:24:13

the original launcher i used to use ADWlauncher but it used up too much battery along with live wallpapers

4. SJ
    Date: Sat, Nov 5 2011 23:06:17

i dont understand what you guys are saying since i dont have a smartphone...but i plan on getting galaxy nexus

5. chris
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 00:07:52

@Jazz , root it now! XD Don't forget to backup though. Also, is this a good deal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_aRPPQBDto This makes my phone as thick as an N95 though (as reviews in Amazon said) =_____= Any good customizations/tweaks one might recommend?

6. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 02:28:57

I really, really want a Galaxy Note. 1280 x 800 display on a mobile device...yummy. But nothing can really supplant my Altek in terms of camera :(

7. MystikSun
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 03:54:03

I have an old rooted Eris running Gingerbread. I'm using LauncherPro. I'm trying to go for speed and stability, but also eye candy.

8. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 06:30:14

chrisPS wrote: This makes my phone as thick as an N95 though (as reviews in Amazon said) =_____=
    Hey....N95 wasn't that thick....yes, yes it was. Anyways, if Samsung could make a Galaxy Player with specs like the Note, I would so...soooo buy it.

9. chris
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:49:36

Any good games? XD also, i really wanted to get one of those batteries. nvm if it's as thick as an N95. XD Also, downclocked my CPU (atm) to 600MHz, lol. -.- Maybe I should try out LauncherPro. Any good apps/tweaks, guys? also, @XYZaki Galaxy Note is a big HUGE. wth, 2MP front camera? It's a shame they just didn't put in ICS and settled for Gingerbread -.- also, it really looks like a Galaxy S with a larger screen and better specs. IDK, that's my first impression XD

10. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:15:38

chrisPS wrote: also, @XYZaki Galaxy Note is a big HUGE. wth, 2MP front camera? It's a shame they just didn't put in ICS and settled for Gingerbread -.- also, it really looks like a Galaxy S with a larger screen and better specs. IDK, that's my first impression XD
    I don't know why people make a big deal about the Android version...as long as its stable and I can install apps on it I could care less... And the Note has a much higher resolution and is outperforms the S II. Though 5.3 inches is a bit much, they should have kept the resolution but made the screen 4.65"...amazing pixel density...

11. chris
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 12:41:20

Links to a transparent status bar, guys?

12. SJ
    Date: Sun, Nov 6 2011 21:11:09

XYZaki wrote: I really, really want a Galaxy Note. 1280 x 800 display on a mobile device...yummy. But nothing can really supplant my Altek in terms of camera :(
    is galaxy note like a smaller version of ipad? smaller than galaxy tab too? so its not a phone right...

13. chris
    Date: Tue, Nov 8 2011 01:05:37

Galaxy Tab is a phone and so is Galaxy Note. I don't see how one will put that stock messaging app into use unless it operates on wifi (which it doesn't) http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note-4135.php I just don't see how Galaxy Tab is so much of a convenience for a phone. I mean, it's "huge" for a phone.

14. chris
    Date: Wed, Nov 9 2011 14:23:56

Anybody good with Android Development and has an i9003? How do you remove the numbers or even the page dot themselves on the stock launcher, to provide more space? :(

Spoiler I sense this thread is gonna be a fail

15. UEDan
    Date: Wed, Nov 9 2011 22:18:36

Anybody got a Task Manager APK without ads? The lack of builtin software and ads is really making me miss Windows Mobile =/ Version 6, not 7. EDIT: and a G-Force sensor. I'm curious what car is capable of...

16. MystikSun
    Date: Thu, Nov 10 2011 23:31:32

UEDan wrote: Anybody got a Task Manager APK without ads? The lack of builtin software and ads is really making me miss Windows Mobile =/ Version 6, not 7. EDIT: and a G-Force sensor. I'm curious what car is capable of...
    If you're rooted you can use Autokiller and set it to Moderate and you'll never have to touch it again. If not, use the boring old ES Task Manager (Free, no ads as far as I can see).

17. UEDan
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 04:17:43

Rooted? I'm beyond that. This phone was originally running windows mobile. I'm running xdandroid. Thanks, I'll check that out, battery life leaves much to be desired.....

18. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 04:53:44

UEDan wrote: Rooted? I'm beyond that. This phone was originally running windows mobile. I'm running xdandroid. Thanks, I'll check that out, battery life leaves much to be desired.....
    Omnia?

19. UEDan
    Date: Fri, Nov 11 2011 09:19:33

Nah man Touch Pro 2. 100% touch screen phones hate me. And I'm still not over Windows Mobile =/

20. MystikSun
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 17:01:15

I haven't flashed anything on my phone for quite a while now. If I wanted to update a ROM from like, version 36 to version 42, would I have to do a wipe before a nandroid+flash? I didn't wipe before because I didn't really want to reinstall all my apps/themes/etc. again. Maybe there are signs if things aren't working that I could look out for. Maybe speed issues?

21. Mike
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 19:40:53

Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. I've had her since the release date. She's lovely :wub: Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

22. XYZaki
    Date: Tue, Nov 22 2011 20:52:24

Forget the Note, I'm getting the 007SH.

23. chris
    Date: Wed, Nov 23 2011 11:40:27

Nice phone :wub: Any themes for i9003? :/

24. UEDan
    Date: Wed, Nov 23 2011 15:30:57

Urghh good riddance to Android. It has potential... but its still not there yet. Back to Cooked Windows Roms.

25. Mike
    Date: Wed, Nov 23 2011 17:48:29

Holy shit, Tapatalk really brought down the quality of the screenshots. Sorry, everyone.

26. chris
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:32:10

my custom "default settings" XXKPN GB 2.3.5 Deodexed CF-rooted Lockscreens + Battery % Mod (now at ICS Theme) EXT4 Filesystem Helvetica System fonts (never fulfilled) Tweak'd Build.prop Perhaps turn on tweaks in Tweaks Manager Busybox :)

27. LaMa
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:34:20

miui HTC Desire

28. chris
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 14:00:43

suggest good games :))

29. Mike
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 20:35:35

Angry Birds, Greedy Spiders. Get Gameboid so you can play GBA games.

30. Alvaris
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:45:33

wtf 2011 bump xperia z coming out soon, thinking of getting it any opinions?

31. Chobi
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 12:06:14

Alvaris wrote: wtf 2011 bump xperia z coming out soon, thinking of getting it any opinions?
    never been a fan of sony's built-in stuff, but the device's hardware specs look great. any input @chris?

32. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 13:52:23

I've been thinking about the Z but honestly that button on the right really looks retarded. Nexus 4 is ordered.

33. chris
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 23:20:30

Ironic how I first started this thread :P Anyway, Xperia Z. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqTiiTbBdAE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVcXBN5M-DU I'm liking the dust and water resistant body, tech videos claiming the glass (not sure if front and back, or only black) is 6x stronger than the current Gorilla glass and that it is weatherproof, having water resistance to 1m and up to 30 minutes. I can live with the retarded buttons but what irks me though is that all the slots and plug-in stuff is closed off by flaps. Especially the 3.5 mm headphone jack. I don't see the headphone jack living for long with audiophiles. Just me though. I also think it is a fingerprint-hungry monster, the back XD With the recent developments in Sony, I'd say it's safe to get the Xperia Z. It has the best of specs as of this time of writing, one of the best phones Sony has made in a while. The UI seems good too, but I can't say much. I don't know about updates too. :) I only have videos to look at :P The best thing is always to check it out once it's available locally. @neXus And Sliding Messaging looks rad as heck :)

34. UEDan
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 23:38:45

UEDan wrote: Urghh good riddance to Android. It has potential... but its still not there yet. Back to Cooked Windows Roms.
    Wow, I went from that to dedicated Android since then... Posted from a fone.

35. neXus
    Date: Fri, Jan 25 2013 15:25:26

[video=youtube;OOJlHY1jRtw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OOJlHY1jRtw[/video] I DON'T HAVE A MICRO SIM GG

36. chris
    Date: Fri, Jan 25 2013 23:51:05

DAMN YOU NEXUS AND YOUR NEXUS DEVICES. find a SIM cutter XD. I use a microSIM with the miniSIM slots of my phone(s). ;)) put something like invisible shield or some skin over the glass. kinda helps a bit, i guess. 6:00 =w= MIUI looks like a big-ass toy phone on a tablet.

37. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jan 26 2013 00:24:37

Yeah I printed some template but it wasn't printed in the correct size, my card was bigger than the stencil so I just said fuck it and went to town with the scissors, works fine. I actually cut it smaller than the tray but it's really snug inside that slot (that's what she said) and it works so w/e I have yet to find a use for my 5th home screen. Gmail, Twitter, Homescreen, App Screen and ??? maybe a music player thing.

38. Tentcell
    Date: Sat, Jan 26 2013 17:13:00

Just a question about rooting your phone, would it void warranties you have with your carrier? And neXus, how's the battery life with the nexus 4?

39. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jan 26 2013 19:00:06

Uh well I had it for 1 day so I can't comment much. Also doesn't that heavily depend on usage? Kinda hard to answer that question.

40. chris
    Date: Sun, Jan 27 2013 01:11:23

about rooting and warranty http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/27835/why-does-rooting-the-android-voids-its-warranty you can always revert it back to stock ROM and unroot the whole thing, but you'll have to be careful which phone. Samsung took precaution and put a flash counter (which counts the amount of custom ROM stuff you put into your phone), but this has been solved as well :P I dunno about other brands, though. :) battery life depends on usage. you'll prolly charge more in the first few days since you're exploring the device. Once time goes by, it will be pretty much depending on your usage.

41. neXus
    Date: Mon, Jan 28 2013 13:26:02

Hey @chris, I want to play with launchers and shit customize the homescreen and whatnot, is there a way to set something like a system restoration point on a computer so if I don't like what I did I can just say nope go back? Uninstalling and reversing a bunch of apps on a failed experiment seems exhausting. Preferably no root. I know root reversible but I like not fuck with things that needn't be fucked with, I should be able to set up something I like without doing that.

42. chris
    Date: Mon, Jan 28 2013 14:43:49

when you say whatnot, what specifically do you want customized? With Launchers, I know the more popular ones have some sort of backing up custom layouts If you want to start over, then there's this. Go to Settings > Apps > Find your launcher then clear data and clear cache. @neXus

43. neXus
    Date: Mon, Jan 28 2013 15:13:41

I actually meant mostly the home screen though gestures are intriguing but I guess you need Root for that maybe not, gotta read up once at home. My question was more about reversing the effects of several apps, say I install and/or configure a bunch of apps to a theme, a launcher + complementary apps

44. chris
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 04:30:52

You don't need root for gestures, at least for Nova Launcher and other launchers. If you want to use gestures for your whole phone, you definitely need root :) Hmmm, I don't know about that; I usually keep my launchers minimal. What apps do you talk about? might help me. say, UCCW, Minimalistic Text, etc,etc? @neXus

45. neXus
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 06:01:54

Yeah, apps like that. But it seems all of them revert when I disable the launcher. Just have to manually uninstall if don't want them no more.

46. Chobi
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 08:39:35

@chris what's your device? woop woop 4.1.2 for S3 finally oh and chris, i decided not to go on with the trade anymore. :/ realised that the nexus 4 screen is actually smaller than it really is due to the on-screen keys, and 16gb is death D:

47. chris
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:51:55

@neXus yeah, just manually uninstall them. :/

48. neXus
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:08:14

I have no idea how you fill 16 gigs, do you really listen to that much music? You shouldn't be watching movies or TV shows on your phone. Get a real cellphone plan and stream.

49. chris
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:31:10

But we're all not rich and/or have a job like you (for now) :P plus, data speeds here rarely go HSPA+. Usually EDGE or 3G. :hmm: made me think if I could negotiate my mom to cut off $10 my allowance to set up an unlimited data plan for my number, just like my bro. Thinking about it, he ended up pretty much facing a screen most of the time. And yeah, I usually put in most of my music to one device. I don't want to keep going back to my laptop just to get a song :P plus, if someone would want to borrow my device for music, they could browse through a number of genres and not get bored with my preferred ones. :P and yeah, I don't get why people put movies and TV shows on a phone. =_=

50. Chobi
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 13:18:04

@chris really? I almost never go below HSPA o_o

51. chris
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 13:54:34

good for you. :/ I get HSPA sometimes, mostly EDGE.

52. neXus
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 15:34:07

But even at home you can swap out music wirelessly. Whatever, different strokes for different folks. Have you played around with NFC tags at all. It seems kind of like an interesting concept to have like a tag by your front door and just tap that when you leave to do things like activate GPS, turn off WiFi, etc. And vice versa for when you get home. I don't need GPS when I'm on the shitter but even with power toggles or w/e it was called I'm either too lazy or I simply forget.

53. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 19:09:24

im looking for a nexus 4 so bad, when is the next batch for sale

54. neXus
    Date: Tue, Jan 29 2013 23:49:48

Germany supposedly gets them mid-february. http://i.imgur.com/EkdKWdh.jpg Low light, no flash photo. I don't really know much about cellphone cameras and those were the first pictures I've taken I've actually looked at on the computer so I don't know if that is any good. It's definitely good enough for me, I don't photograph I remember.

55. Raos
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 00:35:09

Does anyone here find music squares helpful or useful?

56. Chobi
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:40:06

fantastic. my S3 was stolen in football practice today.

57. chris
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:48:46

@Chobi that sucks :/

58. Chobi
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:06:45

well there's a bright side, i get to tell my parents to get me a nexus 4! loljk no fml

59. neXus
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:14:57

Tell Samsung to remote kill it. When my first nexus 7 got stolen during delivery I gave consent to have it disabled remotely so the asshole that took it couldn't use it.

60. Alvaris
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 16:40:17

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/08/19/mobile-security-app-shootout-part-3-cerberus-faithfully-guards-all-your-devices-with-ease/ android users might wanna consider getting this, 4 bucks for five phones' security seems very cheap :/

61. neXus
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 18:13:53

Nexus 4 back on sale in Europe @Zombo

62. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 30 2013 19:16:31

neXus wrote: Nexus 4 back on sale in Europe @Zombo
    yep got one here! seems to be unlimited stock gotta wait 2 weeks for shipping tho :/

63. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jan 31 2013 15:00:10

@chris can I set different languages of keyboard for different apps? On chrome I mostly use the English but on whatsapp typing is hard as fuck because it tries to turn every German word into an English one

64. chris
    Date: Thu, Jan 31 2013 15:18:40

Here's a quick tutorial. Bear with me. 1. Go to Settings > Language & Input 2. Find the keyboard you use (If you didn't download any other keyboard, it's Android keyboard (AOSP) ) and tap the settings icon beside it 3. Go to Input Languages 4. Uncheck "Use system language" and then check all those that you need You should see something similar to my keyboard To toggle between languages, just press and hold the space bar until a box pops up. You can also disable the autocorrection in the same settings page in the keyboard. Just scroll down to Text Correction and change it to Off. That way, you can choose whether to correct the word yourself or not. It's better than nothing @neXus :P also, wuttt :) Link to pic Hoping to do this the better way unlike my previous attempt :P

65. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jan 31 2013 16:26:16

Contemplating the root for franco kernel, longer battery sounds good. Hate losing all my stuff though.

66. chris
    Date: Thu, Jan 31 2013 23:06:35

@neXus If you installed the Android SDK platform tools, you can actually perform an almost complete backup of your stuff (not sure if it backups Messages, though you can use another application to save your Messages) You need to this first before proceeding: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-enable-developer-settings-android-42 Then after that, these. Just read the first post for the first link. Take note of any small details :) Take the plunge XD http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420351 http://www.howtogeek.com/125375/how-to-create-a-full-android-phone-or-tablet-backup-without-rooting-or-unlocking-your-device/ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore <- recommend this more. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en Good luck! It's still up to you. Oh, btw I tried this with my Nexus 7 (because I unlocked bootloader and root it) and it restored everything without a hitch afterwards. Just be a bit OC when backing up :p Back up all your personal files to the PC for a good measure :)

67. Raos
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 02:41:23

@chris Music squares is the build it Songza style thing of the music player. You basically select squares by how you feel and based on those squares (labelled with moods) the music player will create a temporary playlist including songs based on what you chose (what you feel).

68. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 03:14:37

alright im getting my n4 next week :) first android phone so ill need some suggestions!

69. Raos
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 04:29:59

Zombo wrote: alright im getting my n4 next week :) first android phone so ill need some suggestions!
    Get a battery saver and a virus security program. I recommend Easy Battery Saver and Avast. If you like customization get Zedge (free wallpapers, ringtones etc) and Go Launcher (homescreen customization) and widget customization apps. You can download apps from websites from 4shared (apk files) and install it on the phone, but you need to turn the setting that allows you to install apk files not from the the official store on. You can find that in your phone's settings. This is Androids version of jailbreaking (ish).

70. neXus
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 06:01:54

From what I read if you're a bit sensible about what you do on your phone an anti virus program is a waste of battery power.

71. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 06:08:30

Raos wrote: Get a battery saver and a virus security program. I recommend Easy Battery Saver and Avast. If you like customization get Zedge (free wallpapers, ringtones etc) and Go Launcher (homescreen customization) and widget customization apps. You can download apps from websites from 4shared (apk files) and install it on the phone, but you need to turn the setting that allows you to install apk files not from the the official store on. You can find that in your phone's settings. This is Androids version of jailbreaking (ish).
    seriously an antivirus for a phone? -_- is a battery svaer really necessary, i always kill all processes when im on a ios, just a habit i have

72. x3silver
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 07:24:04

im using s2 Rooted with Lion rom 4.1.2 Multiscreen. awesome rom. with overclock 1.6GHz. battery still lasts the same duration

73. chris
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 12:40:46

For the love of... you do not need battery savers. Those have been efficient only up to Gingerbread (2.3.x). Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean both have been improved in terms of battery management in that it stores the program into the memory until it is full and then it starts killing the tasks. To have those is mostly placebo and would even be detrimental, considering they are a running service (which ironically consumes battery as well). to branch off a bit: Contrary to Windows, IIRC in Linux, unused RAM/memory is wasted RAM, since the system would need to maintain that unused RAM as well. (too technical - and I forgot the correct explanation). As for Antivirus, if there's anything I would recommend Avast, but the test Antivirus is common sense: do not install what you think is fishy, and always be cautious where you get your files from. If you insist, then do get a battery saver and see =_=. As for suggestions, I would suggest papktop.com and devitrianto.com for APK files, though 4shared can help too. subscribe to r/android, r/androidapps r/androidgames :P Check this out for good apps: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/179fr4/which_10_apps_do_you_install_straight_away_on_a/ also relevant? http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4 srs. Oh, and don't worry if battery life drains fast over the first few weeks: you'll most likely be exploring the phone. Once it gets settled down, it should stabilize. If you're an avid gamer or user though, a charger won't hurt :P @Zombo

74. Raos
    Date: Fri, Feb 1 2013 23:40:23

Avast is the best free antivirus program for Android. Have anyone tried music squares? Does it work well? Anyone have recommendations of good and useful apps? I am not looking for games.

75. UEDan
    Date: Sat, Feb 2 2013 00:00:39

Raos wrote: Avast is the best free antivirus program for Android.
    I'm with Zombocom. Seriously?

76. LightSpinner
    Date: Sat, Feb 2 2013 01:30:49

i have a android Q c800 i believe. its the one with the mechanical keyboard. its an old thing. (mytouch) what are your thoughts of cyanogen mod? i think i might root my phone

77. chris
    Date: Sat, Feb 2 2013 02:07:35

Raos;245802]Avast is the best free antivirus program for Android. Have anyone tried music squares? Does it work well? Anyone have recommendations of good and useful apps? I am not looking for games.[/QUOTE] http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/179fr4/which_10_apps_do_you_install_straight_away_on_a/ There are good ones there. [QUOTE=LightSpinner wrote: i have a android Q c800 i believe. its the one with the mechanical keyboard. its an old thing. (mytouch) what are your thoughts of cyanogen mod? i think i might root my phone
    get it.

78. LightSpinner
    Date: Sat, Feb 2 2013 03:19:20

im scared of rooting my phone. :walrus: anyone have a good tutorial for this stuff? once again mytouch c800 Q

79. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Feb 2 2013 03:20:53

LightSpinner wrote: i have a android Q c800 i believe. its the one with the mechanical keyboard. its an old thing. (mytouch) what are your thoughts of cyanogen mod? i think i might root my phone
    seriously doubt a phone can have a mechanical keyboard...

80. chris
    Date: Sat, Feb 2 2013 09:30:34

it's the QWERTY keyboard =_=

81. LightSpinner
    Date: Sun, Feb 3 2013 05:41:46

cant root because of 2.3.4. someone help?

82. neXus
    Date: Sun, Feb 3 2013 23:14:56

Started playing with Nova Launcher more, might do something like this: http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/01/20/holo-cards-by-thand/ Definitely putting my own spin on it though, a 1:1 copy wouldn't suit me really. Do you pirate all apps @chris or do you buy them as well. If you do buy them is it because you want to support the dev or because the app doesn't work pirated / is not possible to pirate. Feel free to answer in PM if that's too much information for the public.

83. taichi1082
    Date: Mon, Feb 4 2013 00:44:04

Zombo wrote: seriously doubt a phone can have a mechanical keyboard...
    I wonder 8) My current homescreen. Still have to add simple text / simple calendar Samsung Galaxy Nexus running CM 10.1 (Nightly), Android 4.2.1 with ADW.launcher

84. chris
    Date: Mon, Feb 4 2013 00:44:24

@taichi1082 sporting this look. loving no clutter :))

85. LightSpinner
    Date: Mon, Feb 4 2013 03:42:31

why does rooting have to be so confusingly stuipid for older android devices. if anybody can help, a million thanks. i have a LG Mytouch Q c800. This is what it looks like

Spoilerhttp://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-103073-lg-t-mobile-mytouch-q-c800-4g-android-smartphone-black-.asp
    It runs 2.3.6. I just cannot find a way to root this thing. Superoneclick stops responding. if anybody knows of a method, please tell me. EDIT: boy i have finally rooted the thing, and it was quite a ride.

86. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Feb 4 2013 14:26:30

whats some concrete advantages to rooting an unlocked phone like the nexus 4?

87. chris
    Date: Mon, Feb 4 2013 21:54:15

In terms of carrier, nothing much. Some things: Titanium Backup - full backup of phone data; you can also use this to remove bloatware Clockworkmod Recovery and others - full backup of phone SYSTEM (it's like a system restore point) Ad Block - yes, you can block all those pesky ads away. - Change the radio/modem (I do it with my SGS1 and it improved signal strength and call quality and others) - Overclock/Underclock your phone's CPU (to get more performance/battery life) - Undervolt (yes you can) - Change kernel This thing: http://www.dsploit.net/ This thing: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en Here's a good analogy: "Pure Google was meant to be tasty and enjoyable for the masses, the majority of whom will never root. It's not plain pizza, but rather a 'deluxe' pizza. The advantage of rooting is being able to substitute / add toppings." - some guy at AndroidCentral. Another advice: "Don't forget that rooting is nothing like jailbreaking, as the latter is way more intrusive, that is, jailbreaking can indeed potentially render the iphone less stable. However, root access is simply elevated rights to the ROM (system) partition. But, you don't really need it. Just enjoy the phone and don't sweat the need for it." - some guy at XDA @Zombo

88. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Feb 4 2013 22:01:18

chris wrote: In terms of carrier, nothing much. Some things: Titanium Backup - full backup of phone data; you can also use this to remove bloatware
    google phones are supposedly bloatware-free.
    Clockworkmod Recovery and others - full backup of phone SYSTEM (it's like a system restore point)
    don't think i need that.
    Ad Block - yes, you can block all those pesky ads away.
    ? most browsers on ios support that and don't need jailbreaking. i don't imagine android being any different.
    - Change the radio/modem (I do it with my SGS1 and it improved signal strength and call quality and others)
    you can enable lte without rooting: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/23/how-to-enable-lte-on-the-nexus-4-with-rogers-telus-or-bell-video/
    - Overclock/Underclock your phone's CPU (to get more performance/battery life) - Undervolt (yes you can)
    Good answers, we'll see how the battery life holds up.
    - Change kernel
    don't really think I need to do that.
    This thing: http://www.dsploit.net/ This thing: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en
    Why do I need to hack wifi networks on my phone? If I'm that desperate for wifi, I'll use my laptop to crack. Backup when no wifi = data plan. Tasker is potentially useful, we'll see, does sound like a background running scheduler can drain the battery. edit: "This simple concept profoundly extends your control of your Android device and it's capabilities, [B]without the need for 'root'[/B] or a special home screen."
    Here's a good analogy: "Pure Google was meant to be tasty and enjoyable for the masses, the majority of whom will never root. It's not plain pizza, but rather a 'deluxe' pizza. The advantage of rooting is being able to substitute / add toppings." - some guy at AndroidCentral.
    I would like to change my toppings, but not if I'm unable to return the pizza back if I'm not satisfied. Or if I end up eating a brick instead. Also, not if it takes me 1 extra hour to get my pizza.

89. chris
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 02:19:49

Zombo wrote: google phones are supposedly bloatware-free.
    They are, but you can always uninstall things you don't use. It depends on you.
    don't think i need that.
    Well, you never know :)
    ? most browsers on ios support that and don't need jailbreaking. i don't imagine android being any different.
    Yes, they do. Those that require root do not limit themselves to browsers only, though. You would be surprised how many apps have ads on them (though I myself don't bother to block them).
    you can enable lte without rooting: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/23/how-to-enable-lte-on-the-nexus-4-with-rogers-telus-or-bell-video/
    I was looking more into the SMS-side of things. Unless you considered that obsolete -.- it helped me, though.
    don't really think I need to do that.
    Well, stock kernels were mostly for stability anyway; custom ones usually get bug fixes or cleaned out via the developers. This, and other features (which included the OC/UC capabilities). Most are technical fixes anyway. But they do help :)
    Why do I need to hack wifi networks on my phone? If I'm that desperate for wifi, I'll use my laptop to crack. Backup when no wifi = data plan. Tasker is potentially useful, we'll see, does sound like a background running scheduler can drain the battery. edit: "This simple concept profoundly extends your control of your Android device and it's capabilities, [B]without the need for 'root'[/B] or a special home screen."
    Eh, just examples. No need to use them. Missed that one too :)
    I would like to change my toppings, but not if I'm unable to return the pizza back if I'm not satisfied. Or if I end up eating a brick instead. Also, not if it takes me 1 extra hour to get my pizza.
    I'm assuming, restoring to stock? Plus, most instructions are good if done word-for-word. Most custom ROMs barely go above 400MB anyway. Most jampacked one I saw is pushing 390MB. The smallest one is I saw is 70-90MB (which is already a working one) Different strokes for different folks :P Depends really on you. Just trying to show what's here on the other side. On one hand, going stock is probably the best for most who don't want to brick their phones. :)

90. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 03:04:13

unrooting in itself is another waste of time. and how can you be sure its 100% untraceable? google might have some hardware logging built-in

91. LightSpinner
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 03:29:00

now that my device is rooted, what root only apps are essential?

92. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 16:35:48

got my phone, installed nova launcher removed everything except notification bar, also have a missed it widget (simple text) relying on the drawer to launch apps disabled camera+widget from lock screen double tap opens dock its not bad for now eventually i might think i remove the widget and go with the notification bar but it hasn't been super reliable to me (seems like sometimes it doesn't show all emails)

93. neXus
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 20:45:31

http://i.imgur.com/v4CLUs7.jpg It's not anywhere near what I want it to be but I'm too lazy to do all the photoshopping to do what I really want. Also SimpleText and MinimalisticText are annoying to use. Gotta be really bored one day to do my real set up.

94. neXus
    Date: Tue, Feb 12 2013 22:35:52

How many home screens are you guys using? Trying to figure out if I should move away from widgets and just get icons with notifications that take me to the app (apps like gmail for sure which right now has a home screen with the widget taking up that whole screen). Thing is I don't really use most apps often enough to warrant having them on a home screen, going through drawer is equally fast. So maybe get everything on one screen.

95. chris
    Date: Tue, Feb 12 2013 23:35:56

1. App Drawer is way to go. My friends use all of theirs (3-5).

96. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Feb 13 2013 18:08:43

i use 1 home screen, which is currently empty double tap for dock + notification bar thats it ive cleaned up the appdrawer too

97. Kari
    Date: Wed, Feb 13 2013 18:44:26

Might just be me but I have a bit of a problem and I'm curious if anybody knows what this is. I thought my battery was bad so I bought two new ones and it still has this problem. If I unplug my phone from the charger within 20 min my phones battery drops 10%. Is there any reason for this? I have tried to do a factory reset thinking maybe it's an app I have installed that constantly drains battery but I can't figure it out. I have installed a battery booster app which I use as a task killer to try to help out but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Is it just my phone? I don't get an upgrade until July so I need my phone to last.

98. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Feb 13 2013 20:00:59

Look at the usage section, check what's using battery.

99. neXus
    Date: Wed, Feb 13 2013 20:34:27

UCCW is so fucking annoying to use I have no idea how people on mycolorscreen set things up. Everything looks off and wonky. How the fuck do I center things. How do I make a background made in photoshop perfectly translate to my device. SO INFURIATING I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS APP AO?SJ D ÜAIOPSDHJÜAIO HSDOÜ

100. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Feb 13 2013 21:55:03

neXus wrote: UCCW is so fucking annoying to use I have no idea how people on mycolorscreen set things up. Everything looks off and wonky. How the fuck do I center things. How do I make a background made in photoshop perfectly translate to my device. SO INFURIATING I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS APP AO?SJ D ÜAIOPSDHJÜAIO HSDOÜ
    simple solution dont use widgets.

101. chris
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 13:30:20

@neXus you gotta have lots of spare time for that to work =_= I don't even bother anymore. I've only succeeded once, so far.

102. neXus
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 22:49:42

Installing 4.2.2 right now. Hopefully it fixes my wifi issues on the 7. The 4 I haven't really noticed many problems. Eh. Not deployed to my 7 yet. Too lazy to do it manually. Nevermind force stop framework clear data worked.

103. Kari
    Date: Fri, Feb 15 2013 16:24:44

Zombo wrote: Look at the usage section, check what's using battery.
    The display is what's using most of the battery. Or so it says. Anything I do on it drains the battery though. A co worker showed me a game and I installed it. It drained my battery 24% in the 10 minutes or so I was playing it. I understand that games will do that but it shouldn't drain it that fast. I leave my phone plugged in the entire time when I'm home. @chris I don't use it very often. I more have the app for seeing a battery percentage. I prefer to see what my battery is at, not guessing what it might be at.

104. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Feb 15 2013 19:46:17

Kari wrote: The display is what's using most of the battery. Or so it says. Anything I do on it drains the battery though. A co worker showed me a game and I installed it. It drained my battery 24% in the 10 minutes or so I was playing it. I understand that games will do that but it shouldn't drain it that fast. I leave my phone plugged in the entire time when I'm home. @chris I don't use it very often. I more have the app for seeing a battery percentage. I prefer to see what my battery is at, not guessing what it might be at.
    try using auto-brightness or dim it yourself.

105. Kari
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 04:55:56

Zombo wrote: try using auto-brightness or dim it yourself.
    I have the brightness just about all the way down. I already thought of that. Also I believe the touch screen is going too. It acts like I'm pressing things I'm not about half the time. I feel like it's time for a new phone but I need to keep it around until July 1st. Any more suggestions would be great.

106. neXus
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:54:52

4.2.2 is fucking excellent in terms of battery life on both N7 and 4. WiFi issues solved. Took phone out of case today and wept. I have such a slim and sleek phone but I have to keep it in this bulky case because I bump into things and things bump into me at work all the time.

107. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 19:25:33

neXus wrote: 4.2.2 is fucking excellent in terms of battery life on both N7 and 4. WiFi issues solved. Took phone out of case today and wept. I have such a slim and sleek phone but I have to keep it in this bulky case because I bump into things and things bump into me at work all the time.
    the official google case is not that much bulkier

108. neXus
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 20:14:24

From what I've read the bumper doesn't offer all that much protection and is merely for style. Especially with the glass back I'm too paranoid to not have that protected. I do have a slimmer case, the tpu kind but I'll have to see if I feel comfortable with it. The bulky one (I call it the batman armor) has soft rubber at the corners, creates a huge lip over the display, if this thing falls on a flat surface I don't think my phone could ever shatter. I'll do some photos later.

109. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Feb 19 2013 20:28:24

Kari wrote: I have the brightness just about all the way down. I already thought of that. Also I believe the touch screen is going too. It acts like I'm pressing things I'm not about half the time. I feel like it's time for a new phone but I need to keep it around until July 1st. Any more suggestions would be great.
    Maybe you have W-Lan and mobile internet turned on the whole time? That should be draining some of the battery pretty fast especially if there's no network/W-Lan connection. Because in that case the device will keep looking for networks. The battery will also drain faster if you have more apps on your phone. The more space is occupied the more energy the device will have to put in making that space available. Also maybe turn off unnecessary processes like SVoice and Flipboard and S-Suggest.

110. Kari
    Date: Wed, Feb 20 2013 06:50:19

ChainBreak wrote: Maybe you have W-Lan and mobile internet turned on the whole time? That should be draining some of the battery pretty fast especially if there's no network/W-Lan connection. Because in that case the device will keep looking for networks. The battery will also drain faster if you have more apps on your phone. The more space is occupied the more energy the device will have to put in making that space available. Also maybe turn off unnecessary processes like SVoice and Flipboard and S-Suggest.
    I have wifi at home and it still drains. I made sure a while back that my phone wouldn't keep looking for available networks. That bugs me anyway lol. I understand that having more apps will drain my phone but in all honesty I only use maybe 9 apps all together and I don't even use any of them that much. I'd say the main app I use if Facebook which I only check once or twice on my phone in a day. Onto another issue though. Sometimes my touch screen won't work and sometimes it acts like I'm pressing on it when I'm not (usually around the g on the keyboard). I have had both the LCD and the touch screen replaced and it still does it. When I have my phone in the charger, and when it is at 100%, the touch screen won't work. I have to unplug my phone from the charger to get it to work. Although randomly throughout the day it won't work and I have to turn the screen on and off again (sometimes more than once) to get it to work properly again. Any ideas on that? lol

111. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:53:23

Hmm the display thing could result from a lot of things. My phone also sometimes doesn't recognize taps, but if I use a different finger it works. Maybe ask some people on xdevelopers. The guys there know stuff. :/

112. neXus
    Date: Wed, Feb 20 2013 23:54:31

Playing around trying to get something like a side-bar going that I can swipe out. So far minimal success, it kinda works but it's not how I want it.

113. Leon[HKPSA]
    Date: Thu, Feb 21 2013 01:57:47

All of the 4.1.2 roms I tried drained a lot more battery than my stock 2.3.5 rom :(

114. Tentcell
    Date: Thu, Feb 21 2013 18:14:00

Rumors hitting the internet that the S4 is going to be announced March 14th. Pretty excited to see if this rumor is in fact true, but they make a new rumor everyday about that damn phone.

115. neXus
    Date: Thu, Feb 21 2013 19:39:36

Holy shit I can't figure out how to pie control on paranoid android. Not sure if pie controls are for me.

116. chris
    Date: Thu, Feb 21 2013 22:47:03

I personally don't use that thing. But it's interesting.

117. neXus
    Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 07:00:09

Not sure if PA or this Qualcomm battery app but I think I just dropped 34% battery in idle over a 6 hour night. Keeping an eye on that for sure.

118. neXus
    Date: Sun, Feb 24 2013 14:35:43

I don't know what I was expecting and I don't know if I'm using it correctly but so far CM offered me absolutely nothing of value or worth mentioning. It is exactly like stock to me. I guess it's for people that don't have stock android on their phones or something. I don't understand how it benefits a nexus user.

119. chris
    Date: Sun, Feb 24 2013 16:23:03

It's all those cherry picks/ mini features and behind the scene bugfixes and speed up fixes that Google doesn't usually put in favor of stability. features: Like the quick toggles settings. It's one to turn off, one to turn on, hold to go to settings page. On stock, it's hold to turn on, tap once to go to settings page. Then there's themes. But yeah, it's a bit redundant at times. :)

120. Tentcell
    Date: Sat, Mar 2 2013 01:30:48

They're announcing the new Galaxy S4 in NYC on March 14th. Soo happy I'm going on a trip which in turn forced me to wait till after I'm back to buy a smartphone. I'm stoked

121. chris
    Date: Sat, Mar 2 2013 01:51:17

That's nice. I'm still not convinced of a 4.99 inch screen smartphone though. I feel it is a bit over the boundary. If only they made well-abled (or updated specs) of 4 - 4.3 inch smartphones... :/

122. RPD
    Date: Sun, Mar 3 2013 15:36:54

nexus :D Still dont know how can I customize it. Ppl around forums say that cyanoger or any other rom isnt useful in a nexus4. what do you think?

123. neXus
    Date: Sun, Mar 3 2013 19:45:08

I agree that Cyanogen would probably have minimal use on a N4 simply because you are running raw android, you're not circumventing some Samsung or HTC interface that is put on top of android. Personally I run Paranoid Android for Extended Desktop and Pie Control. Wallpaper is changing as is clock widget because I can't find one I'm fine with. [video=youtube;iI7_4iPKe5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7_4iPKe5o[/video] I have yet to test AOKP but I'm guessing it won't be too different from CM except for little features.

124. neXus
    Date: Mon, Mar 4 2013 13:07:35

I'm contemplating going white with my phone. Xgear Fantom 4 glass screen protector and a white TPU case or I buy a 2nd of my big 2piece case and spray paint the hard plastic white to get a black and white thing going since there is always a little bit of black showing. Only thing that has me hesitating is if I don't like the look or grow bored of it quickly I blew 30 bucks for a screen protector that didn't last me long.

125. chris
    Date: Tue, Mar 5 2013 11:31:07

such is life. oh, and this popped up on my feed not sure if true, but looks legit

126. RPD
    Date: Tue, Mar 5 2013 18:17:17

overhyped s4 but yeah, looks legit

127. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 01:50:17

chris wrote: such is life. oh, and this popped up on my feed not sure if true, but looks legit https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEb2BIqCIAE6oQ_.jpg:large
    If that's supposedly a real screenshot and the S4 has a 1920 x 1080 display, which is 16:9, why is the screenshot 1280 x 768? Even if the image is reduced, it's not the same aspect ratio.

128. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 02:50:02

XYZaki wrote: If that's supposedly a real screenshot and the S4 has a 1920 x 1080 display, which is 16:9, why is the screenshot 1280 x 768? Even if the image is reduced, it's not the same aspect ratio.
    maybe its not a screenshot, just a list of specs

129. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 03:27:13

Zombo wrote: maybe its not a screenshot, just a list of specs
    It's a list of specs from a benchmarking program that lists the specs of the device its run on (the S4 in this case); that's usually how spec leaks work.

130. neXus
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 06:58:19

I doubt the S4 would have nexus series navigation buttons. The 1280 res is the res of the N4. N4 runs hot as fuck when gaming.

131. chris
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 09:06:14

Ain't all devices like that? Oh well.... :[

132. neXus
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:30:26

This is my first smartphone. Playstore being CC only is annoying. Not even gift cards in Europe. Bought gift card via e-mail delivery on walmart.com using phony chicago address let's hope this works.

133. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 18:45:33

neXus wrote: This is my first smartphone. Playstore being CC only is annoying. Not even gift cards in Europe. Bought gift card via e-mail delivery on walmart.com using phony chicago address let's hope this works.
    many debit cards in europe support credit card networks.

134. RPD
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 20:54:16

@neXus , record of battery overheating? mine is only 36ºC. I'm a good user :)

135. neXus
    Date: Wed, Mar 6 2013 21:50:31

@RPD I don't watch it that closely. I just noticed it after a bit of playing.

136. neXus
    Date: Thu, Mar 7 2013 06:52:58

I wonder when SwiftKey will learn that I curse a lot. I don't give a shot. Shut the duck up. Go duck yourself.

137. Alvaris
    Date: Thu, Mar 7 2013 17:00:42

xperia z coming out in my country on march 15, any new opinions from you guys? compared to s4 coming soon or the nexus 4/7

138. RPD
    Date: Thu, Mar 7 2013 23:07:09

xperia z is a beautiful phone. S4 can be better than a Xz, but probably overpriced. I think xperia z will be a more "exclusive" phone, and as powerful as a S4. Also, Xz seems to have a better/harder design than s4. n4 is also really powerful, and with the money you saved, you can buy 15 kts x)

139. neXus
    Date: Sat, Mar 9 2013 15:23:14

I can not for the life of me unlock the bootloader on my sister shitty desire HD. Oh well.

140. Tentcell
    Date: Fri, Mar 15 2013 00:16:55

To be honest, not liking the look of the S4. All the stuff under the hood is awesome, but it just looks like the S3... They usually release smartphones in the US later then they do to Europe and Asia right? Not sure if I can hold out until end of April, early May.

141. chris
    Date: Fri, Mar 15 2013 03:47:52

Reminds me of the 4 and 4S fiasco. "Oh, how will they know I upgraded?" Luckily, there are a lot of factors. Too much power in it. I really prefer small phones, idk :P

142. neXus
    Date: Fri, Mar 15 2013 15:25:38

I think it's made out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. Samsung doesn't have the following Apple has and since the devices look sort of similar and most people don't need insane tech specs a lot of people will get S3s even after the S4 comes out. Someone think of a contest where I can get rid of this 10$ playstore gift card I can't use.

143. chris
    Date: Fri, Mar 15 2013 15:48:28

OT: random.org

144. neXus
    Date: Wed, Mar 20 2013 22:34:49

I need to get AOKP off my tablet. It takes like 3 seconds to wake.

145. chris
    Date: Wed, Mar 20 2013 22:42:36

woot. Since it's an Alpha, I'll be going back to MeeGo.

146. chris
    Date: Mon, Mar 25 2013 22:47:39

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/25/nexus-4-usb-otg @neXus Possible USB OTG mod for the Nexus 4

147. MinoochX
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 09:49:13

Wow. U guys are XDA fans too. Im a dev. Give suggestions for me to support Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

148. chris
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 15:25:01

Sup. I usually frequent the Nexus 7 forums. Used to frequent Galaxy S, but I sold it. You say you're part of the Cyanogenmod team? hmmm...any news on SGS IV support for CM? I haven't been up to date with the Android world (well, not so much)

149. neXus
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 16:36:35

Uh from what I've read the Nexus 4 doesn't give power over the OTG so you still have to splice out a cable to a different power source to power something like a usb drive. Technically I guess you could do it with a external battery but it's not worth the effort in my eyes, I have no storage trouble. Also I lost my OTG cable apparently. It never left my room but it's gone.

150. Tentcell
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 21:38:29

Is there such thing as a ps2 emulator for android devices?

151. neXus
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 22:07:41

I'm pretty sure I would have heard about that so the answer is no.

152. chris
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 22:56:42

There's PS1 and PSP emus and there's this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anTLRB9oqJQ but yeah, no PS2 emulator as of yet.

153. Tentcell
    Date: Tue, Mar 26 2013 23:23:43

Alright, thanks, I'm getting my friend Star Wars Battlefront II for ppsspp. Man, I cannot wait for this S4 to release. No word on release in the US yet, but I'm expecting early May, and it'll only be the quad core =/ oh well.

154. chris
    Date: Wed, Mar 27 2013 05:28:31

S3 mini and S4 mini \m/

155. Shotty
    Date: Wed, Mar 27 2013 05:41:56

I currently have a Nexus 7. I sold my iPod for it and I have never regretted it since. The Nexus 7 is a great device. I don't know how I got to it, but I use the Apex Launcher. It isn't very bad at all, and has a few features that put it over some others I have tried. Like organizing the app draw into categories. I already bought pro for it, so I won't be heading off to another launcher.

156. chris
    Date: Wed, Mar 27 2013 07:51:44

Do you root?

157. Shotty
    Date: Wed, Mar 27 2013 10:09:04

chris wrote: Do you root?
    I have unlocked it and rooted, yes. I see it as a necessity to root. Even if you wont use it, root anyway just in case.

158. neXus
    Date: Wed, Mar 27 2013 19:37:09

Ordered NFC tags to play around, what I want to do is have a tag that creates a note with a timestamp when I tap the tag to document work hours. I think Evernote can do it but I would kinda like Google Keep to do it, I really like it.

159. Shotty
    Date: Wed, Mar 27 2013 20:48:53

neXus wrote: Ordered NFC tags to play around, what I want to do is have a tag that creates a note with a timestamp when I tap the tag to document work hours. I think Evernote can do it but I would kinda like Google Keep to do it, I really like it.
    I thought about ordering some, but I never got to it. I wouldn't have that great of a use for them though.

160. neXus
    Date: Sat, Mar 30 2013 13:10:19

Finally got AOKP off the 7. Got PA like on the phone, I really like PIE. Also bought Tasker since it's on sale right now and everyone loves it. I have been using Llama which uses cell towers to determine where you are so I had it turn off wifi and turn on mobile data when I'm not at home but today I realized how my mobile turned off while I was at the train station 500 meters away from my home and wifi connection. Tasker should make this cleaner, simply activate mobile when I'm not connected to my wifi.

161. chris
    Date: Sun, Mar 31 2013 08:12:02

Huh. I'm not so much of a fan of PA. I mean, I like the Tablet UI, but PA seems to lag on mine, even if clean install. Plus, I sacrifice the tablet UI for a cleaner ROM (PRIME ROM) overall :P I dunno if it's just me, but it's fast alright. Huh, I should try out Tasker, but I don't see any purpose how I would use it just yet. Edit: Annoying things about Android

162. neXus
    Date: Sun, Mar 31 2013 14:32:56

The most annoying thing about Android is by far how every video about an android phone uses the word "snappy" to describe how using the phone feels. It doesn't matter if it's a phone review, or a preview, an app or a rom/kernel. At some point in the video will the person swipe between homescreens and the app drawer a few times and proclaim that the phone is really snappy. SPEAKING OF SNAPPY yeah PA does lag a bit but it's not bad enough to bother me. I'm so used to PIE that it never loads up fully anyways so I don't care of the animation is slightly choppy, taking full advantage of my screen is worth it. I'm thinking about getting a screen protector, lots of posts about the oleophobic layer on /r/nexus7. Underclocked the 4 because it gets freaking hot just playing around in non-cpu intensive apps because the glass back heats up.

163. chris
    Date: Wed, Apr 3 2013 01:24:25

This is huge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf5RUOO7gsM turn on captions, since they are fairly decent. watch in YT for better quality also, to those who live in uni dorms: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robertkcheung.laundrytime&hl=en

164. neXus
    Date: Sat, Apr 6 2013 19:33:29

Time to start looking at different ROMs now that everybody and their mom has PIE. Carbon has it, Xylon has it and since I don't use any of PA except for PIE I'm gonna install them for a bit.

165. chris
    Date: Mon, Apr 8 2013 12:19:58

DAE like HTC One?

166. taichi1082
    Date: Mon, Apr 8 2013 14:00:55

neXus wrote: SPEAKING OF SNAPPY yeah PA does lag a bit
    If you are talking about the mini-lags, they will be fixed in the next release (according to the thread on xda).

167. chris
    Date: Tue, Apr 9 2013 07:14:55

168. neXus
    Date: Thu, Apr 11 2013 14:35:34

Peeled off screen protector due to boredom. Love the feel but too paranoid to make this a thing. I will however stop using a case as soon as a new protector arrives which covers both back and front. Running PAC Rom now. Settings are a clusterfuck but if you fight through the all's well.

169. UEDan
    Date: Thu, Apr 11 2013 14:46:29

Don't tell me you're one of those people with gorilla glass and use a screen protector. Posted from a fone.

170. neXus
    Date: Fri, Apr 12 2013 06:11:58

I am one of those people who occasionally finds sand in their pockets. Gorilla glass is resistant, not immune.

171. UEDan
    Date: Fri, Apr 12 2013 18:37:32

I know it's vulnerable... but pretty damn strong. Countless drunken drops and I only have 1 crack at the corner. And if there's sand in my pockets the screen would be the least of my worries =P Posted from a fone.

172. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Apr 12 2013 21:28:25

nexus 4 is weak my friend dropped it, cracked the corner. the crack is not on the screen area though (upper right corner where the front camera is)

173. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Apr 13 2013 00:26:52

Jiayu G4 looks nice. Really cheap too. So does Xiaomi M2S

174. chris
    Date: Sat, Apr 13 2013 10:20:04

I want to try out the M2S. Nevermind the skin, it has quite admirable build quality. The Jiayu G4, I dun like the look of the buttons, but meh. It also looks like some sort an HTC One. :)

175. King
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 15:03:36

I have an s3 now. What do?

176. Chobi
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 15:29:01

@King sell it, buy a Nexus 4 loljk, shit I've too much pride with my N4 srsly though, first thing you do is decide whether to root it or not

177. chris
    Date: Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:27:04

King wrote: I have an s3 now. What do?
    decided whether to root. play with it for a while. if you think you are satisfied with it, then don't root. otherwise, root.

178. neXus
    Date: Wed, Apr 17 2013 05:54:12

Seriously considering Google Glass once prescription is available. Nowhere nearly as bad as pure Glass and I need prescription glasses anyways. This would make actually wear some.

179. Tentcell
    Date: Wed, Apr 24 2013 00:37:08

Galaxy S4 is out Saturday in the US for my carrier. I'm really excited to get it.

180. neXus
    Date: Wed, Apr 24 2013 13:33:13

Scratch on the back. Noo. Also when I first looked at it it looked way too big but now I have phone-envy for the Note 2.

181. Tentcell
    Date: Wed, Apr 24 2013 21:02:22

The Note 2 is hugee. I don't see it possible to fit in pockets unless you have a trench coat or cargo short pocket.

182. chris
    Date: Thu, Apr 25 2013 07:49:24

hehe, I get over scratches after a while. Always that with phones...

183. neXus
    Date: Thu, Apr 25 2013 16:19:24

my 7 fits in my pockets, get on my jeans level son found more scratches but too lazy to wet apply the saver i have bought so a dbrand cover will be bought eventually.

184. Tentcell
    Date: Thu, Apr 25 2013 21:48:22

neXus wrote: my 7 fits in my pockets, get on my jeans level son found more scratches but too lazy to wet apply the saver i have bought so a dbrand cover will be bought eventually.
    Jesus, that's almost alarming, do they call you Columbine?

185. King
    Date: Sat, Apr 27 2013 01:28:46

Oh my damn miatas are fun

186. neXus
    Date: Sat, Apr 27 2013 04:09:43

Did you mix up android and car thread or does that run jellybean?

187. Rees
    Date: Sat, Apr 27 2013 04:14:52

neXus wrote: Did you mix up android and car thread or does that run jellybean?
    hahahahhaha thats awesome

188. Tentcell
    Date: Sun, Apr 28 2013 00:24:17

This phone is awesome. What are some apps I should get? So much to take in.

189. Rees
    Date: Sun, Apr 28 2013 01:57:50

Tentcell wrote: This phone is awesome. What are some apps I should get? So much to take in.
    STRAVAAAAAAAAA

190. Tentcell
    Date: Sun, Apr 28 2013 03:08:07

Rees wrote: STRAVAAAAAAAAA
    I'll be getting Strava, I'm going to get a nice Garmin watch for this years summer training. I don't really feel comfortable running with a big ass phone

191. chris
    Date: Thu, May 2 2013 23:56:17

OH MAH GAWUD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vlrgCteDac

192. Clyde
    Date: Tue, May 28 2013 17:35:04

WIFI FOR S4 BRAHS: "Network disabled because connection is too slow." Anyone else experienced this problem of connecting to the Wi-Fi? I can connect to other Wi-Fi's but mine. My laptops are connected to my Wi-Fi but my S4 won't. ???????????? HELP

193. Clyde
    Date: Wed, May 29 2013 11:59:22

PLEASE RESPOND ty

194. Tentcell
    Date: Wed, May 29 2013 18:32:21

Never had this problem with my s4... If it works on all other Wi-Fi networks then wouldn't it probably be your Wi-Fi that's fucking up? Edit: Just read your laptops are fine on your Wi-Fi... No idea

195. chris
    Date: Wed, May 29 2013 23:59:03

solution is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/273064-wont-connect-wifi.html#post2759002 check out the whole thread @Clyde :)