UPSB v4

Naming Committee / [5.9] Grand Unified Naming Convention

1. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Oct 27 2011 13:56:24

It will definitely take a lot of work and a lot of people from most of the boards. I'm just wondering, is this idea a good one, is it possible would it be worthwhile?

2. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Oct 27 2011 16:44:56

Good idea? Yes. Possible? Yes. Worthwhile? Yes. Also maybe have a naming convention summit / RD collaboration every few years where, like WC boards send members to represent them in a couple weeks in which they release the changes / major break throughs changes or ideas for the past period of time to keep everything unified and up to date?

3. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Oct 27 2011 22:36:42

its diff to get into touch with asian communities due to language barrier most of the naming work is done here or on FPSB, which communicate with us regularly.

4. Iota
    Date: Thu, Oct 27 2011 23:20:46

Yeah, it would be ideal for this to happen. Quite frankly, I'm not touching this shit anymore after the non-reaction last time I tried, but we definitely need one naming convention.

5. hoiboy
    Date: Fri, Oct 28 2011 03:38:19

I think that this really needs to happen. How many boards actually have research departments?

6. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Oct 28 2011 07:17:51

I think only our RD and FPSB's laboratory. Maybe if we pool our contacts from all Asian spinners and ask around to see if the wanna join?

7. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Oct 31 2011 22:47:26

I only have access to HKPSA. We can contact various representatives from various boards and ask for sign-ups.

8. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 05:39:51

I was thinking of doing it in parts also. I thought we could go by naming the tircks first to linkages and the rest or something like that. I will probably make a video or take other vidoes out there put them together and ask people to help name what they see, bring it back here to discuss on what it should be called and ask the representatives to translate. I'm hoping this'll be easier for everyone helping out.

9. Frip
    Date: Thu, Nov 3 2011 20:21:05

Do we have a draft of a new, modern naming system yet? //I'm assuming "Grand Unified Naming Convention" means Grand Unified Naming Convention to get rid of names like swivel or twisted cobrabite, and to clarify other things.

10. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:30:47

That's another issue we need to discuss but I think that if this were to happen, we can easily solve that problem. This is more for unifying the different naming conventions used by the different communities.

11. hoiboy
    Date: Fri, Nov 4 2011 22:59:32

Let's outline our goals before we start calling people together.

12. Mats
    Date: Thu, Nov 24 2011 23:33:35

This will be finished at the same time as the grand unified theory of physics.

13. Skatox
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 16:49:09

Unifiying is good. We don't have anything to lose at trying. But there are different ways to unify. The one you seem to think of, is to impose new standards that would replace all the local standards already in place. This is risky. The other way is to bring something that will help and is not actually replacing anything. Names are messy and far from unified, but if we want to actually unify all trick names, it's gonna be long, painful, and maybe not that useful after all. If you're working with a foreign community that doesn't use your trick names, or the other way around, you just have to break things down for them : "Joe : Hey here's my new combo ! trick1 > trick2 > trick3 ~ trick4 ~> trick5 Daisuke : Hoy ! cool but I don't know trick3. What's this ? Joe : ah, it breaks like this: trick3 = ... [using unified low-level breakdown conventions] Daisuke : ah ok, we call that a キングロルすべて手 Joe : God bless you !" I think names are just names. We would be inspired to look at how programmers do their job : trick X = ... (some sub-trick breakdown) trick Y = ... (some sub-trick breakdown) combo C = X > Y ~> Y ~ reverse Y (whatever your conventions are for combo operators like "~", ">", etc. It's just an example) Put shortly, what we need IMHO is a real, solid, innovation-proof breakdown notation system, that can specify a maximum of tricks -- ALL tricks would be intellectual climax . If we have that, names don't matter so much anymore. You could define national and international trick dictionaries : japanese trick dictionary : ------------------------------------------ trick あ = ... trick い = ... trick う = ... etc french trick dictionary : --------------------------------------- trick voulezVousCoucherAvecMoiCeSoir = ... trick laBaguette = ... hybrid bonjour = ... hybrid merci = ... combo bonjourMerci = bonjour > merci ----------------------------------------------------------------- international dictionary ----------------------------------------------------------------- trick sonic = ... trick thumbaround = ... trick pass = ... combo K4LC = ... ---------------------------------------- And so on ... with a little programming skill and a fair notation for trick breakdowns, translating a combo or trick from a community to another might even be automatized. These are just instant ideas, but my point is, names are not so important. What they represent is a lot more important, and there is currently no sub-trick breakdown system in any community I know. Which means that if we can bring one, no community will feel a painful cognitive dissonance preventing the members from adopting the system. Names are already anchored in each community, trying to change them will only

14. Mats
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 17:01:21

I could write a program to translate things in this way I think. ;) Give me a few days to have a go at the basic idea.

15. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 00:25:50

The language barrier shouldn't be much of a problem. We can just set a syntax for naming and just have individual words translated.