UPSB v4

Off-topic / Motivational/Inspirational Quotes and Proverbs

1. Soren
    Date: Tue, Oct 25 2011 23:09:18

Quotes are becoming popoular. It is through quotes that gives us a small boost to feel better or to help at a situation. Proverbs are another great phrase which is very helpful and inspirational in life. I thought that i'll make a thread for Motivational/Inspirational Quotes and Proverbs, so that it can be shared thoughout this community. Just post whatever quotes and proverbs you like into this thread. I'll start you guys off. A drop of water shall be returned with a burst of spring. Meaning:Even if it was just a little help from others, you should return the favor with all you can when others are in need.

2. King
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 00:05:38

They dont always think it be like it is, but it do. Meaning: It dont always be more like, but more like it do.

3. browndog12
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 00:08:52

i love King it means; i love King

4. Tkal
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 00:21:03

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool. To weep is to risk appearing sentimental. To reach for another is to risk involvement. To expose your feelings is to risk exposing your true self. To place your ideas, your dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss. To love is to risk not being loved in return. To live is to risk dying. To believe is to risk despair. To try is to risk failure. But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing does nothing, has nothing, is nothing. They may avoid suffering an d sorrow, but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live. Chained by their attitudes they are slaves; they have forfeited their freedom. Only a person who risks is free. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. Meaning: Pretty self-explanatory I think

5. Van
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 00:30:14

「生涯旋転」 -spin for life ; by bonkura

6. MickChickenn
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 02:42:00

"dont be a dumbass"- a certain UPSB spinner named after a mcdonalds product. Meaning: Dont be a dumbass.

7. Gash
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 03:12:17

My signature is a random sentence/quote I started thinking about when I was pen spinning :L

8. Reverse
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:14:15

There's many quotes that I had been heard, read, and spoke it everyday. I could be concluded all of quotes be one; "[COLOR=red]Keep your effort and you will get lucky and/or luckless depended from what are you done everyday![/COLOR]" Meaning: "<-- ![COLOR=black]You could be rendered it by yourself[/COLOR] !-->"

9. Clyde
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:14:22

"I'd rather live 1 day as a lion, than a thousand years as a sheep" - for all you mediocres out there "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated" - for all you mediocres and lazy people out there "If you want to be together, you have to make an effort to-get-her" - for a socially awkward cunt like I am

10. itzDaKine
    Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 21:11:00

"Emancipate yourself mind from Mental Slavery" - Bob Marley "Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici" Meaning: I while living have conquered the universe! - idk who

11. YUi
    Date: Sat, Oct 29 2011 07:20:48

Tomorrow is not promised, so live each day like its your last- YUi (: meaning: No one can promise you that tomorrow will come, that you will still be around, so if you were to leave the world tomorrow, live today to its fullest. inner meaning: GET LAID

12. Clyde
    Date: Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:11:35

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean "Veni Vidi Vici(I came, I saw, I conquered)" - Julius Caesar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N-c8MIFvaI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiLIWoyxQU8&feature=related

13. neXus
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 11:54:32

Clyde wrote: "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    This makes no sense. If I knew I would die today I basically take a shitload of drugs, alcohol and tell all the people I don't like they're an asshole and punch them in the face. Thing is if I don't die that day my health is fucked and everyone hates me.

14. Clyde
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 12:05:35

neXus wrote: This makes no sense. If I knew I would die today I basically take a shitload of drugs, alcohol and tell all the people I don't like they're an asshole and punch them in the face. Thing is if I don't die that day my health is fucked and everyone hates me.
    ?? it's similar to "Carpe Diem", you don't know when you're gonna die, so seize the day, this might be your last

15. neXus
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 15:41:46

That doesn't change anything. If I lived one day like it was my last the next day would not be worth living.

16. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 16:50:59

Yeah if you take it literally it makes no sense. If I knew today was my last day I'd do irrevocable things that would ruin tomorrow for me lol. Like obviously if today was my last day I'd drop out of college because investing in my future is pointless. Clyde if you knew today was your last day you definitely wouldn't go to the gym and work out or whatever lol. Because you do those things as an investment for the future

17. Soren
    Date: Sat, Aug 11 2012 17:13:43

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have." "You try. You fail. You try. You fail. But the only true failure is when you stop trying." "A single grain of rice can tip the scale." "The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it." - W. M. Lewis How Rich Are We? - One day a father and his rich family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose to show him how poor people can be. They spent a day and a night on the farm of a very poor family. When they got back from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "Very good Dad!" "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Yeah!" "And what did you learn?" The son answered, "I saw that we have a dog at home, and they have four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of the garden; they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lamps in the garden; they have the stars. Our patio reaches to the front yard; they have a whole horizon." When the little boy was finished, his father was speechless. His son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how 'poor' we are!" Isn't it true that it all depends on the way you look at things? If you have love, friends, family, health, good humor and a positive attitude towards life you've got everything! You can't buy any of these things. You may have all the material possessions you can imagine, provisions for the future, etc; but if you are poor of spirit, you have nothing. The Story of the Butterfly - A man found a cocoon of a butterfly One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to squeeze its body through the tiny hole, then it stopped, as if it couldn't go further. So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bits of cocoon. The butterfly emerged easily but it had a swollen body and shriveled wings. The man continued to watch it, expecting that any minute the wings would enlarge and expand enough to support the body. Neither happened! In fact the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around. It was never able to fly. What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was the restricting cocoon and the struggle required by the butterfly to get through the opening was a way of forcing the fluid from the body into the wings so that it would be ready for flight once that was achieved. Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. Going through life with no obstacles would cripple us. We will not be as strong as we could have been and we would never fly. The Fence - There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks as he learnt to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence. Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one." You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there. Make sure you control your temper the next time you are tempted to say something you will regret later. The Rock - An old farmer had plowed around a large rock in one of his fields for years. He had broken several plowshares and a cultivator on it and had grown rather morbid about the rock. After breaking another plowshare one day, and remembering all the trouble the rock had caused him through the years, he finally decided to do something about it. When he put the crowbar under the rock, he was surprised to discover that it was only about six inches thick and that he could break it up easily with a sledgehammer As he was carting the pieces away he had to smile, remembering all the trouble that the rock had caused him over the years and how easy it would have been to ged rid of it sooner.- Brian Cavanaugh "The Sower's Seeds" This Is Good - An old story is told of a king in Africa who had a close friend with whom he grew up. The friend had a habit of looking at every situation that ever occurred in his life (positive or negative) and remarking, “This is good!” One day the king and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the king. The friend had apparently done something wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the king fired it and his thumb was blown off. Examining the situation the friend remarked as usual, “This is good!” To which the king replied, “No, this is NOT good!” and proceeded to send his friend to jail. About a year later, the king was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay clear of. Cannibals captured him and took him to their village. They tied his hands, stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake. As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the king was missing a thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone that was less than whole. So untying the king they sent him on his way. As he returned home, he was reminded of the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend. He went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend. “You were right,” he said, “it was good that my thumb was blown off.” And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just happened. “And so I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long. It was bad for me to do this.”“No,” his friend replied, “This is good!” “What do you mean,’This is good’? How could it be good that I sent my friend to jail for a year?” “If I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you.” Two Wolves (A Cherokee Legend) - An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil, he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogrance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego." he continued, "The other is good, he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith. The same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person too." The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

18. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Aug 11 2012 21:19:07

I'm a huge fan of motivational and inspirational quotes. They really get me going. Here are a few of my favorites: [quote=Based God] Chimmy chang chang bitch I think I'm Based God 30 on my dick and I stroke like A-Rod [/quote] [quote=Based God] Damn I'm Wayne Gretzky, Kristi Yamaguchi Everything Gucci the bitch gave me coochie Young Based God never fed my bitch Sushi Bitch kiss my ring cause I'm Kristi Yamaguchi Chain Jessica Simpson I look like Tim McGraw Hundred on my dick bitch it's Young Based God [/quote]

19. Tetsip
    Date: Sun, Aug 12 2012 04:33:03

+1 zaki

20. astronaut
    Date: Mon, Dec 3 2012 22:43:34

"I stand here not because of the path that lies before me, but because of the path that lies behind me." - Morpheus(the matrix). meaning: We are not here, whatever you are currently doing because of your plans to be here or someplace better, we are here because of the hard work we did to get here. "It will always be juggling with a pen, and that's why non-pen spinners think we are morons. Even if some people play with a ball and nobody thinks they are morons, it's just a way of thinking."- S777 meaning: People don't like what your hobby is, not because you are stupid, but because they don't understand it. It is your opinion, but some things will always be more well liked and popular.

21. King
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 02:55:51

Not taking risks will only let you fall safely to your death.

22. Soren
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 15:38:58

Why give up now when you're so close?

23. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 17:50:47

Van wrote: 「生涯旋転」 -spin for life ; by bonkura
    Nearly brings tears to my eyes.. Here's my personal motto: Be the change you want to see in the world

24. fang
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 19:08:34

eurocracy wrote: Here's my personal motto: Be the change you want to see in the world
    <--Dude ;)

25. Tentcell
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 22:30:05

L'etat c'est moi. I am the state. Louis XIV