UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Changing texture of pen body

1. Josh
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 18:17:54

Hi, So my favorite pen mod is a comssa waterfall, ordered from penwish. I've always hated the sticky-glossy texture of the pen body though, especially for tricks like TA rev and thumbspin. I set out to change it with sandpaper. First using rough sandpaper and then smoothing it with a knife sharpener (would have used finer grit sandpaper in a perfect world, but I used what I had lol). And I'm thrilled with the result! It has a felt/cardboard feel, and it's great for TA revs and other texture-dependent tricks. But it's got me thinking about how else to change and get rid of that glossy finish on most pen bodies. A chem-student friend of mine suggested an acetone bath, but I worry that would warp the plastic and I don't have a spare body to test it on. Has anyone done anything like this? Got any ideas, tips, suggestions, experiences to share? :D

2. Rapid
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 18:35:53

No I have never tried that. Honestly I think it's stupid. But here's a GREAT idea, why don't you try a super pirat body? huh? Great!

3. Kari
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 19:32:42

The feeling of a pen changes with how much you spin it. I've had my pen body for two and a half years and I love the feeling. It used to be very slick and having it worn in makes it feel better. So just try the natural solution of just spinning it.

4. Syrti
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 20:16:38

Use aceton (Nail-Polisher is the easiest way) to clean flexible bodys. works awesome with superpirat! has a very nice feeling afterward!

5. gyrobius
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 21:10:41

I suppose pen feel is just something you'll have to get used to. I actually think it has something to do with how clean the pen is. One time, after feeling the need to disinfect my mod, I did. Afterwards, I noticed that the pen felt very slick and started to be very slippery. After a few days of spinning it though, it was no longer slippery. I also feel the pen slip from my hands after I wash my hands or take a shower. Well it's either that or I'm just a horrible spinner.

6. Greenman
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 22:47:05

How would spinning cardboard feeling things feel nice?

7. RicLu98
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 23:06:25

there's no point in changing the texture of a pen barrel. comssa barrels are not sticky.

8. Raos
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 23:08:30

Syrti wrote: Use aceton (Nail-Polisher is the easiest way) to clean flexible bodys. works awesome with superpirat! has a very nice feeling afterward!
    you mean nail polish remover?

9. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Oct 10 2011 23:15:45

Well thats because after taking a shower (assuming its with hot/warm water), your skin absorbs the hot water and evaporates.. which makes your skin actually really dry afterwards. Thats why people put on lotion after showering... Frog~

gyrobius wrote: I suppose pen feel is just something you'll have to get used to. I actually think it has something to do with how clean the pen is. One time, after feeling the need to disinfect my mod, I did. Afterwards, I noticed that the pen felt very slick and started to be very slippery. After a few days of spinning it though, it was no longer slippery.[B] I also feel the pen slip from my hands after I wash my hands or take a shower. [/B]Well it's either that or I'm just a horrible spinner.

10. Sam
    Date: Tue, Oct 11 2011 01:09:19

a super pirat feels really weird in the beginning. after 8 plus months of spinning. it feels better now ^^

11. Syrti
    Date: Tue, Oct 11 2011 07:03:10

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: you mean nail polish remover?
    ehm yep I guess ^^ @RicLu98: Nail Polish Remover has the same effect as 8 months of spinning. Use it and your body will be completely white and at first very clammy. But after 1, or 2 hours it has a very very nice feeling!

12. Josh
    Date: Tue, Oct 11 2011 18:15:15

A. Cardboard might not be the best way to describe it, hard to explain. B. To the people shitting on my thread, this is a pen mod forum and I'm talking about a pen mod idea. Go troll someone else that deserves it. C. I've been spinning this mod for 6-7 months for an hour or two a day. It's not STICKY but it's not smooth for the tricks I mentioned. So it's not that it isn't broken in.

13. PenwisH
    Date: Tue, Oct 11 2011 19:04:15

pirat is quite a bit shorter than comssa