UPSB v4

Off-topic / Buying a laptop soon

1. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, Oct 6 2011 02:51:12

To all you geeky people out there: I haven't really been keeping up with the computer world lately, and I would like some advice on buying a laptop. I need to be keeping college in mind, so I have a few requirements: Processor: Intel i5/AMD equivalent or better Weight: Lightweight - under 5 pounds, preferably under 4 [B]Battery Life: 4+ hours of actual use (6 cell or 9 cell battery?)[/B] Memory: 4 gigs or better (not quite sure) Screen size: around 13 inches or less Hard Drive: HDD? SSD? SSD means faster laptop bootup + less batter usage + less heat, but HDD's are more reliable? I think I want an SSD, but I'm not quite sure here. I probably don't need that much memory with the invention of DropBox and Google Docs now... I've never used more than a 100 gigs in my life. OS: Windows 7 Price Range: Under 1500 (my CD expires soon, so I get 2500... but I really don't wanna blow any more than 1500 on a laptop) Mainly, I want a laptop that I can use for work stuff, and then be able to play a few lower end games on it (LoL, Halo etc.) I've come up with three laptops that I'm looking at. Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Acer Aspire Timeline X Does anyone wanna vouch for these laptops or suggest new ones?

2. SJ
    Date: Thu, Oct 6 2011 09:52:50

ok ive done some research since i want a laptop too... and considering you dont want an apple product lenovo u300 (hmm... seems ok. but its a lenovo. theyre known for thinkpads. not much else) acer s series (its an acer LOL seems nice) asus ux31 (nice and pricey) toshiba z830 (ive been eyeing this, seems nice, but its a toshiba... so idk) samsung 7 or 9 series (nice but way too pricey. i dont think they are aware of their high prices LOL) lg p330/p430/p530 (nice and pricey) so that pretty much sums up the ultrabook collection coming out soon. just do ur own research since mine is biased. they all are lightweight and have core i series and sufficient battery life. should have ssd and sandy bridge (maybe not sandy bridge). if an ultrabook is over 1500, its a little too much. might as well blow it on a desktop for that price lol beware, most ultrabooks seem to have a sub-par graphics card.

3. Tkal
    Date: Thu, Oct 6 2011 19:00:50

Do you care about graphics at all? Since you want something with long battery life and a <13" screen, I suggest a netbook if graphics are of little to no concern to you.

4. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, Oct 6 2011 21:53:18

I want it to be able to play some videos and games. I've had bad experiences with notebooks, so my target range is the ultraportable laptops, not netbooks. Netbooks just don't offer enough power :/

5. nateiskewl
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 01:33:29

I think I found what you're looking for.

6. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 03:01:10

Why do you need an i5 to play LoL...?

7. hoiboy
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 03:04:45

most colleges require i5 or better

8. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 03:09:50

hoiboy wrote: most colleges require i5 or better
    For what...? If you're protein modeling, chances are there's a render farm on campus.

9. nateiskewl
    Date: Fri, Oct 7 2011 03:25:03

XYZaki wrote: For what...? If you're protein modeling, chances are there's a render farm on campus.
    BCUZ HE N33DS 2 RUN M@TLAB AND LYX 4 MATHIMIATICS HAKING

10. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 03:20:38

XYZaki wrote: For what...? If you're protein modeling, chances are there's a render farm on campus.
    dunno I'm really stuck on the SSD vs. HDD question. The SSD that you can package with Lenovo's is an Intel SSD. Are those any good?

11. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 03:24:40

SSD is a waste of money at this point, unless you have a desktop and have both SSD and HDD (one for boot up and the other for real storage) the only real advantage you can actually see with an SDD is boot up time, and laptops will just be in hibernate most of the time anyway since you close the lid so you're getting only a minimal advantage for the huge disadvantages of less storage for more price just get an HDD and then you have more money to spend on stuff that affects daily usage, like battery life or CPU speed or graphics card

12. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 03:34:27

@hoiboy but the best thing you can possibly do is get a desktop and a netbook. Netbooks are AMAZING for classes, light as hell to carry around (any of the laptops you're talking about are going to be annoying to take anywhere, trust me), and can do just about anything you'd need while being portable. And desktops are just waaaay better in terms of what you can do. You can have a fully rigged out gaming rig and a netbook for WELL under 1500, and you'd be way happier because you're getting the best of both worlds instead of the worst of both. With a laptop you'll end up being unhappy with the portability (you won't want to take it places because it's unwieldy), and you'll be unhappy with its performance. With a desktop+netbook combo you'll be happy with both. My desktop (runs BF3 at 45 fps on all high settings) was about 750 and my netbook was about 250, total $1000 and I have better computing power and better portability than you'd have with any 1500 dollar laptop.

13. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 04:56:21

I guess I don't really need the extra battery time with SSDs, seeing as the x220 runs insanely long. However, will the heat output make a significant difference? @strat1227:

14. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 05:24:55

Nah. HDD barely contributes anything to heat total output

15. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 06:13:42

How do you transfer files between a netbook and a desktop? Doesn't that become a pain (Dropbox, Google Docs, USB etc.)? I already have a older (2008) desktop that is just laying around. Also, most colleges want i5, but I think they're mostly okay with i3. Does i5 justify the price (all second gen)?

16. PREDATORNET
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 07:20:02

I think that kinda depends on which i5 it is. There are some i5s out there that are pretty shitty. I think if you really want to transfer files quickly, you can buy an external hard drive and mass copy everything over. Plus, you can use the extra space later. Other than that, IDK.

17. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 14:19:23

4 lbs is still too much, u really want it under 2-3 lbs get a samsung 9

18. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 16:54:27

hoiboy wrote: How do you transfer files between a netbook and a desktop? Doesn't that become a pain (Dropbox, Google Docs, USB etc.)? I already have a older (2008) desktop that is just laying around. Also, most colleges want i5, but I think they're mostly okay with i3. Does i5 justify the price (all second gen)?
    Flash drive, done. I use dropbox too, but only if I'm not next to my desktop since it's a bit slower than using a flash drive. My roommate bought a Dell XPS at the same time I bought my PC+netbook, and he regrets it already. He can't play BF3 with us without putting all quality on Low and lowering the resolution, AND he hates taking it places because it's heavy as fuk.

19. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Nov 1 2011 18:20:36

just dont play on a laptop man

20. SJ
    Date: Wed, Nov 2 2011 02:32:49

Zombo wrote: 4 lbs is still too much, u really want it under 2-3 lbs get a samsung 9
    samsung 9s pretty pricey... consider asus ux21/ux31 toshiba z830 lenovo u300

21. Frip
    Date: Wed, Nov 2 2011 02:51:12

I wanted a similar laptop to what you're looking for and ended up getting a HP pavilion dm4. Except for the touchpad that sucks dick, it's pretty solid.

22. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Nov 2 2011 05:08:58

Ok, so this is what I'm looking at right now: (c/p'ed straight from Lenovo website) ThinkPad X220 - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty Processor: Intel Core i3-2350M Processor (2.3GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB) (2nd generation, Sandy Bridge) Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Operating system language: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 English Display type: 12.5" HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna Total memory: 4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM) Keyboard: Keyboard US English Fingerprint reader: Fingerprint Reader Camera: 720p HD Camera Hard drive: 320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm Micro Hard Drive: No Micro Solid State Drive Battery: ThinkPad Battery 29+ (6 cell) Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: ThinkPad b/g/n Integrated mobile broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable Language pack: Language Pack US English 3Yr Base Warranty Extension (no battery warranty) $954.12 (with coupon and savings) Is this worth it?

23. PREDATORNET
    Date: Wed, Nov 2 2011 05:19:38

hoiboy wrote: Ok, so this is what I'm looking at right now: (c/p'ed straight from Lenovo website) ThinkPad X220 - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty Processor: Intel Core i3-2350M Processor (2.3GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB) (2nd generation, Sandy Bridge) Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Operating system language: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 English Display type: 12.5" HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna Total memory: 4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM) Keyboard: Keyboard US English Fingerprint reader: Fingerprint Reader Camera: 720p HD Camera Hard drive: 320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm Micro Hard Drive: No Micro Solid State Drive Battery: ThinkPad Battery 29+ (6 cell) Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: ThinkPad b/g/n Integrated mobile broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable Language pack: Language Pack US English 3Yr Base Warranty Extension (no battery warranty) $954.12 (with coupon and savings) Is this worth it?
    Depends. Show us the video card, EVERYTHING about it.

24. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Nov 2 2011 05:46:39

hoiboy wrote: Also, most colleges want i5, but I think they're mostly okay with i3. Does i5 justify the price (all second gen)?
    Dude. Where are you getting your info?

25. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Nov 2 2011 20:38:20

thinkpads are so fugly tho