UPSB v4

Philosophy / One of the best reasons to explain "why do we pen spin"

1. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Sep 29 2011 02:01:33

[video=youtube;aIoJLVbkWd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIoJLVbkWd4[/video] Ignore all the other talk about glasses. Focus on the discussion on sport stacking it applies to PSing as well. Very awesome explanations as to why we spin. I know there's another thread on this already discussing whats the point of penspinning but I felt that this video needed a new thread by itself. @ moderators if you disagree with me then by all mean do what you must here's the older thread: http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=3593

2. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Sep 29 2011 02:23:08

All well and good, but I find the creativity and artistic possibilities of pen spinning are what attract me to it, as opposed to other skill based manipulations. Agreed that it's the value we give it that makes these things important, but I feel a closer connection between pen spinning and music than say tennis. From the outside I think pen spinning can be appreciated by non spinners in the way he describes, but I feel that the reason we spin is because of creativity and an attraction to skillful manipulation/performance, much like any other performance art, it's about bringing out a reaction from your audience, as opposed to say, being the most skilled.

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Sep 29 2011 02:58:32

Gotta agree with Shoeman here. I think PS can be used to express something just like music. Or just used for aesthetic purposes. It goes either way.

4. RicLu98
    Date: Thu, Sep 29 2011 04:17:29

penspinning is just fun but peoploe will think you have no life at all

5. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Sep 29 2011 07:58:38

shoeman6;138740]All well and good, but I find the creativity and artistic possibilities of pen spinning are what attract me to it, as opposed to other skill based manipulations. Agreed that it's the value we give it that makes these things important, but I feel a closer connection between pen spinning and music than say tennis. From the outside I think pen spinning can be appreciated by non spinners in the way he describes, but I feel that the reason we spin is because of creativity and an attraction to skillful manipulation/performance, much like any other performance art, it's about bringing out a reaction from your audience, as opposed to say, being the most skilled.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Nachoaddict wrote: Gotta agree with Shoeman here. I think PS can be used to express something just like music. Or just used for aesthetic purposes. It goes either way.
    I think what this explains is not why we personally spin (I think we all have out reasons) but it will explain to others who don't spin what the objective behind it or the purpose for doing it

6. Eazy
    Date: Sun, Jan 1 2012 08:42:43

I Pen Spin to meet other similar pen Spinning enthusiasts all around the world and make lots of new friends. It also keeps my mind from wandering out of class, though not on my studies =P

7. Joiemoie
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 01:07:38

Humans have this natural tendency to get the edge over other humans. There's always that satisfying feeling when you can do what someone else can't. I started pen spinning because I saw it performed before and I wanted to do something that many of my classmates could not. I did surpass all of them due to the fact that none of them even knew how to pen spin, but then I moved. When I realized that in this new place, many of my classmates could do the TA and sonic, I decided to go even further and surpass them even more. It really feels great when you amaze people with something they wished they could do but have no tendency to practice.

8. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 01:15:40

jliba12 wrote: Humans have this natural tendency to get the edge over other humans. There's always that satisfying feeling when you can do what someone else can't. I started pen spinning because I saw it performed before and I wanted to do something that many of my classmates could not. I did surpass all of them due to the fact that none of them even knew how to pen spin, but then I moved. When I realized that in this new place, many of my classmates could do the TA and sonic, I decided to go even further and surpass them even more. It really feels great when you amaze people with something they wished they could do but have no tendency to practice.
    I agree, pen spinning imo is the embodiment of practice. Sure new mods make it easier for people to learn, e.g. my friend learned most of the fundamentals in one session with my waterfall mod, but when people see you spinning, it's like magic. In reality it's simply skill. It's not a skill toy in the sense that you can spin anything. Unlike a yo-yo or rubiks cube which requires a specially made mechanism. Not bashing on other manips, i think object manips in general, and performance arts are one of the highest forms of art. It's about creating an experience, and amazing. Since once you preform, you are done, you practice over and over. Since pen spinning brings so much entertainment to yourself, there is no reason not to spin besides the fact that YOU enjoy it. If others do as well, that's great. I used to believe pen spinning should be able to show emotion or have different facades as traditional art does, but honestly, the aesthetic beauty of manipulating a pen stands for itself. It's practice, it's skill. The fact that youre taking something that writes, that can create art and yet you manipulate the tool itself, just magnificent. :)

9. Nashi
    Date: Tue, May 1 2012 19:53:50

All these reasons are true, but non-spinners will still continue saying that it is pointless and that annoys me the most. when i say that it is a hobby like soccer, they will say that it's not true or whatever. (well people also say that it is no sport, but yeah...) Many of 'em are just so ignorant. >.>

10. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, May 1 2012 20:30:34

I'm doing it to explore my limits I think. I always do that with every hobby. I push myself to the limits of my ability to extent my horizon. Like this step by step I'm progressing towards the infinite amount of possibilities that lie around me.

11. Fuse
    Date: Sun, May 13 2012 03:13:05

I spin because it is something I like and am motivated to do and improve in.

12. MickChickenn
    Date: Sun, May 13 2012 04:03:08

This is the worst thread I have seen in a long time.

13. Haste
    Date: Fri, May 18 2012 12:12:29

Hm. I spin my pen for fun! I just find happiness when i spin. But it gets boring at times so I stop PSing for like, 2 weeks. Then I spin again