UPSB v4

General Discussion / Stereotyping

1. sl4d3
    Date: Thu, Sep 8 2011 08:38:36

Although, my account register date will show 9/8/11. I guarantee you I have been spinning since 2005. I'm asian. Of course I am. Statistically, it isn't a surprise that a member of this board is asian. In my 6 years of spinning, the only comments that people make toward my pen spinning is that it is "bad ass." I'd like to assume that it is because my pen, a unmodified Pentel RSVP, isn't flashy and colorful or that I'm what you'd imagine when "closet nerd" comes to mind. But being asian doesn't exactly help break the stereotype of asians being nerds. Guaranteed if a black person was spinning, it'd be 'gangsta.' This rant is brought on by, about 5 different random people spinning in front of my face, hoping to make a new friend, during different classes of my college career. All of the people who spun in my face are visible asian nerds. (True statement. Not racist.) I don't think it's racist if I despise people who add to any stereotype regardless of ethnicity. Is that racism? I'm probably really racist and don't know it :( My point is, are members of the board flaming nerds when it comes to pen spinning? Or do they quietly spin their pen as they listen to lecture?

2. King
    Date: Thu, Sep 8 2011 16:05:07

Dunno about everyone else but i usually keep to myself unless someone asks about it. Then i give them a "I have a lot of time on my hands" Or "Its something to do during class."

3. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Thu, Sep 8 2011 21:31:23

haha asian nerds ...it's not true anymore. i'm asian (viet) and i play basketball, dance, and ps. I'm pretty smart but not crazy smart. I like outdoor sports something that gets me moving. my point is i'm not nerd or geek. I just ps because it's cool. btw i don't wear glasses ..lol what type of asian are you? you're nerd? usually people who on the computer more than anyone else know about penspinning so yeah, mostly nerd.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Sep 8 2011 22:29:06

Yes, that is racism.

5. Kari
    Date: Thu, Sep 8 2011 22:35:11

shoeman6 wrote: Yes, that is racism.
    Says my Asian nerd. :rofl: Kidding. I love you Shoeman! :wub:

6. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 01:21:17

im a fat white hill billy who lives on the border of georgia and alabama. So, no.

7. funnky
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 02:57:42

i ALWAYS stereo type

8. Ed
    Date: Wed, Sep 14 2011 22:03:46

I really doubt people that like pen spinning would go out and flame people that do it as well. There's no sense to it.

9. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Sep 18 2011 12:52:45

all of the people in my school that ps do forms of physical activity (ie parkour, badminton, bboying) and all of those kids are asian. the only thing they get when penspinning is attention from retarded people who haven't seen much in their life.

10. gyrobius
    Date: Sun, Sep 18 2011 22:27:14

Although I kind of am a nerd, I don't let let it stand out. People won't know I'm a nerd until 3 minutes of discussion with me.

11. Kari
    Date: Sat, Sep 24 2011 00:19:53

Ed wrote: I really doubt people that like pen spinning would go out and flame people that do it as well. There's no sense to it.
    I don't think they would flame the person for spinning, just flame the spinning as in telling someone they suck at spinning. ~KTSpinner~