UPSB v4

Off-topic / Good Note-taking Skills

1. PREDATORNET
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 14:18:53

Hey there UPSB, I'm taking Geometry this year, starting today. T_T Math has never been something i was good at, or better put, liked, so it's difficult for me to focus, and take notes on important stuff while the teacher is talking. I'd like to ask for some tips on what to look for in what the teacher is talking about, and what kinds of things should be written down. Thanks, PREDATORNET

2. Raos
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 17:19:49

ask yourself or parents. Your asian

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 17:40:57

If the teacher says anything about an upcoming test, any kind of hints or even the length, you should write it down. You might think that even something like the amount of questions is kind of useless but it will help you become more comfortable when it comes time to take a test and you'll have at least a slightly better understanding of what is coming your way. Also, a lot of good note taking depends on what you need personally. Some people know a lot of the material already so they only take minimal notes on things that they might not have already known. Some people write down everything because either they're anal about taking notes or they really need all the information to perform well. Geometry at my school is really hard so I don't know how rigorous it is at your school. Since I don't know how you study I'd suggest this: If you have enough time, the night before, look at the chapter or section that your teacher will be going over the next day. Just skim through so you at least have a little better background knowledge of the subject before you go into class. This actually does help you absorb information because you're not seeing it for the first time. I don't suggest you take notes on everything but at least make sure to write down terms, definitions, formulas, and other key pieces of material. Finally, it can be hard to get motivated to learn something but motivation definitely helps you not fall asleep in class. I'd suggest at least trying to look at the material in a positive way rather than a "I hate math I don't want to study screw school" attitude. Edit: Oh and a few other things I just thought of. Your notes need to be clean and readable at least to you. That means no drawings or messy writing. And if you're copying down a lot of information, it's okay to shorten certain things like if you're writing down a definition you can use a "+" instead of and and you can take out certain unneeded words. Example: "Definition of a Triangle: plane figure with three straight sides and three angles." turns into Triangle: figure + 3 sides + 3 angles Or even: Triangle: fig. + 3 sides + 3 ang. etc. etc.

4. Froggy
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 17:59:58

everyone's brain works differently. there are people that doesnt write down notes and remembers everything while there are people that writes down notes and remembers everything you need to find out whats your best method to getting down information. and you do that by really just finding it through trial and error. --- I remember things most through listening, usually just listen for information and analyze it in my mind instantly to get it down sometimes if its like big chunk of information, i pull my phone out and record it too.. I find myself cant recall anything if its just pure note-taking.. mainly because I dont remember stuff this way. Note taking takes away my ears and mind (which ends up not listening and not analyzing information instantly) --- Hope that helps~ Frog~

5. King
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 18:43:49

Anything she repeats you should write down. Also, its not so much how you take notes, its how you study them. But good notes will always help how you study.

6. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 21:53:28

Take notes for content, and write down what's important, constantly ask yourself questions about what she has just said, how could learning this be useful, etc. And solve them. If you have a textbook, use that as a secondary source of information along with what you heard in class. Also, dont just write! When you get home read your notes over all your classes for the day, it only takes about 30 minutes and it'll help you remember so much better. If you find this is helping, but you still can't grasp it, sit down after school and before school to review your notes, every day, make it a habit. I find it hard to focus in school, but after I get my notes and can be home where it is quiet and less distractions I can figure it out myself. Try to engage with the teacher, not necessarily asking questions, but really concentrate and apply what theyre saying to your life, maybe to pen spinning. How could this lesson be useful in pen spinning? Stuff like that will help you focus and retain the lesson better.

7. PREDATORNET
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 22:32:05

Thanks @ all. :)

8. Aether
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 23:53:27

What they said. And there are many postulates and theorems that you will need to know so make sure that you have those studied well.

9. nateiskewl
    Date: Wed, Sep 7 2011 01:00:08

I have three extremely basic tips for success in mathematics. 1. Use the same syntax for your all notes. This helps you recognize different elements easier. Even the smallest changes can be bad. For example, don't use a dot when you would normally use a dash, don't underline when you would normally italicize, etc. 2. Unless you want to forget the information the day after the test (and then have to re-learn it for the final), don't cram for hours at a time. Short bursts of intense learning (twenty minutes is ideal for me) are most effective. 3. Get some inspiration. Wanting to learn mathematics makes it much easier. Oh, and I suggest against short-handing your notes. Teachers almost always suggest doing it, but if you learn to write fast it can be very beneficial. I find that when I use abbreviations and such I create quite a few ambiguities that I don't recognize when I re-read my notes. This creates errors in my thought process.

10. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Sep 7 2011 01:01:48

Cornell notes.

11. trish_lim96
    Date: Mon, Sep 19 2011 09:56:57

List down and memorize all the theorems and postulates in every chapter. And practice solving math problems within 1 min in each number. :D

12. Wobster
    Date: Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:12:15

Something called the internet lol