UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Complete NOOB here, just had a question or two...

1. dade
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 17:03:43

Hi there. My name's Clay, and I'm a fan of skill toys. I started this tradition where I give away a new skill toy as x-mas presents to all my friends. This is where my question is: While I can appreciate mods, I'm looking for something my friends can grab right away and use without moding at all. Is there a good beginner pen out there for around $20? And could any one recommend a few reputable stores that I could check out some cool pens? I appreciate the help!

2. Danny116
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 17:16:35

http://penwish.com/ Best pen spinning store out there imo xD beginner pen mods are pretty cheap, 5-10 bucks, some are ever cheaper stick to a comssa based mod, great for beginner x)

3. dade
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 17:32:48

Thanks Danny. I like the look of Rushon mods too! Are they any good? I'm looking to spend $15 or under for the x-mas presents, maybe even $20 for my own.

4. Quake
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 18:05:23

a mod is a pen modified for spinning. hence the name mod. another store http://penspinstore.com/ :)

5. Danny116
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 18:17:20

@dade rushon mods are VERY light, you might as well use a pencil IMO they are perfect for learning the 4 fundemental tricks: http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Fundamentals and their more difficult variations, once you get a strong grasp on those tricks then its all personal preference for a new mod

6. Wisp
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 19:03:45

Welcome to UPSB. If you live in the USA then you could easily make an RSVP mx. All you need is a Pentel RSVP and a Hybrid Gel Grip Pen. It takes about 10 Minutes to make one mod and they look rather good. :welcome:

7. dade
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 20:20:38

Thanks a bunch everyone. I really appreciate the help. And yeah, I live in the US, and I already love pens (I'm a bit of an artist) so I'll go look for the Pentel RSVP and Hybrid Gel. I think I'll look up some other mods here too, and start practicing!

8. CheezyNinja
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 00:15:59

@dade - if you havent already been told.. stay away from heavy mods, such as Buster CYL, Dr. KT, Minwoo mod, VicGotGame mod.. ive been spinning for 7 months and all of those are too heavy for me.. reason be that it really messes up your hands and also you'll have a really difficult time transitioning to a lighter pen.. so go for the things youve been recommended RSVP MX, Comssa Mod, Metal Comssa Mod.. those are great mods to have when your just starting and once youve mastered a wide range of tricks and can do multiple different combos well, then you can transition to slightly heavier mods, such as Waterfall mod, Cheat Comssa, Namae Mod, MXSA, and after you have been spinning for awhile and are developed as a penspinner in all area's of tricks you should be fine with heavy mods, such as Buster CYL, Dr. KT, Minwoo mod, VicGotGame mod.. this is just a piece of advice, people told me this when i just started out and i wasted money on all these heavy mods and it made me have to almost start over with lighter pens.. have fun ^^

9. tacohead12
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 01:51:59

It seems like you are getting a bunch of whatever you are getting so I suggest just ordering several metal comssas from penwish.com probably would be the most price efficient and easiest

10. dade
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 03:30:33

Agreed tacohead, I think the metal camssas are probably the ones I'll order for gifts. And thanks for the advice chazomac. I'll definitely start with something lighter. Got the day off tomorrow, and I was already going to head to HobbyLobby to re-stock my dwindling prismacolor pen collection, can't wait to try my hand on a RSVP mx mod.

11. Vaan
    Date: Tue, Sep 6 2011 06:34:45

Like us on facebook too ^^

12. dade
    Date: Wed, Sep 7 2011 03:19:20

Vaan wrote: Like us on facebook too ^^
    For sure! Quick question: Anyone know which pen parts are interchangeable with a RSVP MX mod? I didn't find a Hybrid Gel Grip Pen (is that made by Pentel as well?) so I bought a Hybrid Technica. I would normally just bust it open and try the tip out, but then I thought that the Hybrid Gel Grip might have a better weighted grip or something like that. Anyway, I'd like to return the Technica if it's not compatible with the RSVP MX mod, just so I can get something else that might work. And is there a specific place I could go to learn more about all this? I've searched a bit through the forum here, but can't really find a good newb education thread. I know how irritating constant newb questions can get, which is why I really appreciate you guys answering them for me.

13. Vaan
    Date: Wed, Sep 7 2011 06:26:13

you can use a gtec tip and g2 grip

14. dade
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 03:59:44

Finally got a RSVP MX put together! With the tip from a Impact RT and a G-2 grip! Just got to sand the clip-nub a bit, and draw up an insert. Thank you to everyone who helped, both here and on the chat!

15. Kari
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 14:47:33

Dade, I don't think hgg's are sold in the us. So making an mx isn't the easiest.

16. dade
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 16:21:30

Yeah, I figured that out about 25 bucks into it, haha. It's all good though. What kind of mods are easy to find parts for?

17. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 16:47:19

In the USA, you're probably best making a rsvpx with subbed parts. (as you have already done!) :)

18. Soren
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 17:04:01

get a waterfall mod from penwish

19. dade
    Date: Fri, Sep 9 2011 17:19:50

I've heard waterfalls are pretty heavy, but they look crazy rad.

20. chris
    Date: Sat, Sep 10 2011 08:36:27

^I happen to have one right now. It's medium heavy and pretty much has enough momentum to make it feel heavier than most light mods, but not too heavy like Buster CYL/Dr KT.

21. Soren
    Date: Sat, Sep 10 2011 08:37:56

dade wrote: I've heard waterfalls are pretty heavy, but they look crazy rad.
    it is not heavy at all, if you're just going to spin a few mods a waterfall mod is a definite must have