UPSB v4

Off-topic / Looking for some good Laptop advice

1. Twine
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 08:11:36

Okay, my parents said if I get 2 subjects excellence endorsed this year (NZ schooling system) I get a laptop. Now, I [B]know[/B] I will get these endorsements because I can, so my problem is what laptops are good?? Like what are some general good things too look for in a laptop. Be aware you are talking to a total noob in the tech side of computers. So, please try and explain things easily for me :3 Here are some of the basic things I am looking for: > Runs fast. No laggy shit. Like I want it to be able to open things quickly, have multiple programmes open at the same time and whatnot without it going derp speed on me. > Has a half decent graphics thingy in it. The computer I am on atm can't even play stepmania or Minecraft ffs. So it would be nice it at least be able to play games like that lol. I'm not looking for anything fancy at all cos I have absolutely no intention of playing games on the laptop. >Windows OS. (what's a good windows system that leaves the computer fast, yet it still half decent *thinking xp*)? >Preferably not large and NOT heavy. That's it I guess. I'm planning on using it for Uni, you know taking notes at courses and what not. Thinking about engineering course if that helps you help me :). Any if you read all that and proceed to reply with help now, you are my hero <3 <3 THANK YOU :)

2. Yamaguchi
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 08:15:59

HP laptops?

3. davidguy
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 08:20:46

@iMatt

4. jaychou
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 08:38:04

uh just a quick pointer, don't get HP laptops in case their system goes haywire from ditching or transferring the PC line

5. Twine
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 08:41:34

jaychou wrote: uh just a quick pointer, don't get HP laptops in case their system goes haywire from ditching or transferring the PC line
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. *patiently waits for iMatt :3

6. PREDATORNET
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 08:47:34

Try ASUS. If you want multiple things running at a time, you might want a Triple-Core or a Quad-Core processor, such as intel i7 or AMD processors. Having a nice graphics card may help, i like Nvidia and ATi. For the OS, Windows 7 will do fine, just delete/uninstall any bloatware (promotional shit)that may/maynot be in the computer. Note: The "laggy shit" may be caused in part by your internet service being shit. My laptop's specs are nice but my DSL is really bad. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220996 I think you can consider this one.

7. Clyde
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 09:00:09

alienware

8. Wisp
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 09:01:43

I DO NOT recommend that you purchase a laptop, every laptop I owned has had major cooling difficulties. Allright you aren't looking for the make of laptop, you should be interested in whats inside. I'd suggest a 15" screen, big enough to use well and small enough to carry. The two main things you should be interested in is the processor and RAM (Random Access Memory). Don't buy a Dell inspiron, they feel cheapy (my sister has one). http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/print_summary_details_popup.aspx?~lt=print&c=nz&cs=nzdhs1&fb=1&l=en&model_id=xps-15z&oc=u510501nz&s=dhs&vw=icon&leadtime=&showleadtime=False For a good pc that runs well you need at least Core i3 processor (Core 2 duo are ageing) Or an AMD Phenom II. Stick with an intel though. You also want to be running a 64 bit version of Windows 7 (It's what you want trust me) The 64 bit allows you to have more than 3gbs or RAM and thus your PC can handle more open processes. On to ram, if you were to install 64 bit Win 7 then you would want preferably 6gb. If not, 4gb will do. Video card should be at least 256mb if you don't plan to play games. If you do, I suggest a 1024mb one. Storage is quite cheap these days, get at least 500gb or 1TB if you download media a lot. Thats about it, I'll edit this post and show you some example machines. EDIT: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKHNB062460&name=HP-G62-460TX-i3-370M-2.4GHz-4GB-(2Gx2)-DDR3-500GB- Good specs on that one. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKHNB1530190&name=HP-Presario-CQ62-405AX-AMD-Quad-Core-N970-2.2GHz-2 This one is rather sexy, I think my dad has it - he enjoys it but he only uses it for work. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKTOS1535674&name=TOSHIBA-SatPro-C650-i3-380M-2.53GHz-4GB-(2Gx2)-DDR No comment on this one, specs look good for the price. What is your budget @Twine ?

9. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 09:21:13

What's your price range ?

10. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 09:30:55

lenovo thinkpads, Asus. you have a budget bro?

11. Twine
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 09:40:24

@Krispy Kreme Budget is somewhere around $1000 - $1500 NZD I'm guessing. Which would be like $850 - $1250. Idk, obviously cheap would be better but I don't want some piece of shit. Just in a nutshell, lightweight+good size, Fast, windows, decentish graphics, enough room for files. What's the difference between the 64bit version of windows 7 and the regular version other than ram usage? Also, are you saying 4gb ram would not be that great? When you mentioned the 256mb graphics card, what would I be able to do with that? Would I at least be able to play stuff like stepmania/minecraft? I don't plan on playing either of those but I'm using them as examples cos I know I wont be playing anything which would ever require ore than that lol. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :)

12. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:02:32

I was going to say a macbook air or even a macbook pro .__. but then i saw that you wanted a Windows OS. :pokerface:

13. Wisp
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 11:26:04

Twine wrote: @Krispy Kreme Budget is somewhere around $1000 - $1500 NZD I'm guessing. Which would be like $850 - $1250. Idk, obviously cheap would be better but I don't want some piece of shit. Just in a nutshell, lightweight+good size, Fast, windows, decentish graphics, enough room for files. What's the difference between the 64bit version of windows 7 and the regular version other than ram usage? Also, are you saying 4gb ram would not be that great? When you mentioned the 256mb graphics card, what would I be able to do with that? Would I at least be able to play stuff like stepmania/minecraft? I don't plan on playing either of those but I'm using them as examples cos I know I wont be playing anything which would ever require ore than that lol. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :)
    I'm not 100% sure of the difference, but the only thing that matters is that you can have more RAM = a better PC. On the downside, some programs from older years won't be compatible with 64 bit, but it doesn't matter. There are tons of programs for 64 now. If you're just doing web surfing, word documents, maybe watch a film/play minecraft. 4GB of RAM is more than enough. However if you ever plan to really work your system I would reccommend 6GB, for the shit of it. 256mb of graphics isn't great for minecraft/games of the sort. So it wouldn't be great for anything further e.g. TF2, Far Cry 2.. It would run a film fine, but hey it's worth the upgrade. You should probably have at least 512MB graphics that would run minecraft fine and other media. If you can and it's not too expensive, try to opt-in for a LED screen, I have one and when I look at my other laptop's LCD screen the difference is significant. Good luck

14. Twine
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 20:23:49

<3 Wisp Thank you so so much for helping me :). I really appreciate it! Thank you to everyone else as well