UPSB v4

Off-topic / Who here thinks summer is going too fast?

1. linli07
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 14:26:50

wow i never realise that its already september XD. But dont want school to start cuz i hate school im even looking forward to it.

2. Clyde
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 14:39:41

not just summer, 2011 itself, wth 3 mos. already passed since may, it felt like just 1 month..idk

3. fang
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 15:43:22

It is every year the same, OFCOURSE the summer is going to fast..... <_<

4. Kari
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 16:17:56

I'm glad it's almost over. I believe 22 consecutive days of over 93 degrees is quite enough. It's 61 right now and it's amazing. ^_^

5. RicLu98
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 16:43:42

its getting closer to 2012

6. Soren
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 17:07:57

it may seem/feel as though it is going fast, but it passes by the same as every year imo, i think its been pretty long, but would be great if it was much longer =D

7. Iota
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 17:41:23

Actually, it doesn't pass by the same every year. Especially when you're young (i'm saying sub-20, even 30 or younger), time will seem to go by faster. When you're in 1st grade, the school year and then the summer seemed like an eternity, right? Well, use this simple equation as a way to conceptualize that seeming speed-up in time every year: if you divide one year, month, whatever, by the respective numbers of years or months you've lived, you'll get the ratio of that length of time to your entire life. If you're 7, one year is a seventh of your life. So for a typical 15-16 year old penspinner (since it seems you guys are around that old nowadays :P), consider the following: Assume Summer is ~2 months long At age 15 (180 months), Summer constitutes 1.1111% of your life. At age 16 (192 months), Summer constitutes 1.0417% of your life. May not seem like much, but, not factoring in changes in mental state and maturity nor your focus during the summers themselves, that's a .0694% decrease in the ratio of summer to your life's duration, and we can assume that naturally, since your perspective of time and it's speed is in relation to your existence up to the current point in time, with that increase comes an increase in the "speed" at which time will seem to move, probably an increase of around .0694k%, where k is some constant or variable (in order to account for other systematic changes in maturity over the year's duration, etc.) Hope that helps explain your feeling! ;D

8. Soren
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 20:09:53

Iota wrote: Actually, it doesn't pass by the same every year. Especially when you're young (i'm saying sub-20, even 30 or younger), time will seem to go by faster. When you're in 1st grade, the school year and then the summer seemed like an eternity, right? Well, use this simple equation as a way to conceptualize that seeming speed-up in time every year: if you divide one year, month, whatever, by the respective numbers of years or months you've lived, you'll get the ratio of that length of time to your entire life. If you're 7, one year is a seventh of your life. So for a typical 15-16 year old penspinner (since it seems you guys are around that old nowadays :P), consider the following: Assume Summer is ~2 months long At age 15 (180 months), Summer constitutes 1.1111% of your life. At age 16 (192 months), Summer constitutes 1.0417% of your life. May not seem like much, but, not factoring in changes in mental state and maturity nor your focus during the summers themselves, that's a .0694% decrease in the ratio of summer to your life's duration, and we can assume that naturally, since your perspective of time and it's speed is in relation to your existence up to the current point in time, with that increase comes an increase in the "speed" at which time will seem to move, probably an increase of around .0694k%, where k is some constant or variable (in order to account for other systematic changes in maturity over the year's duration, etc.) Hope that helps explain your feeling! ;D
    no. say your summer break is exactly 2 months for every year (until school ends completely ends for you), it would be exactly 62 days (july and august), which is 1488 hours. Say in 2007 your summer break was exactly 2 months (july and august), that would be 1488 hours of summer break and in 2008 your summer break was also exactly 2 months (july and august), that would also be 1488 hours of summer break. 2 months = 2 months each summer break might feel like its gone way too fast, or way too slow, buts its the same. its what you've done during your break that makes it feel likes gone faster or slower. for example when you are having fun it feels as though time has gone fast, but when you are really bored it feels that time is going slow. this is because when you are bored with nothing to do, you are aware of the time almost every minute of your life, but when you are having fun, you are unaware of the time. this conecpt can be seen in this example scenario 1: you spend the whole day having fun and it feels as though time has gone super fast scenario 2: you do nothing for the whole and it feels as though the day would never end does this mean that one day was shorter than the other? or was one day longer than the other? no. what you are saying from your explanation dictates that each day will become progessively shorter than the day before. which is not true.

9. browndog12
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 21:56:00

aaaaaah so much data :banghead:

10. Iota
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 22:15:13

Supergirl wrote: no. say your summer break is exactly 2 months for every year (until school ends completely ends for you), it would be exactly 62 days (july and august), which is 1488 hours. Say in 2007 your summer break was exactly 2 months (july and august), that would be 1488 hours of summer break and in 2008 your summer break was also exactly 2 months (july and august), that would also be 1488 hours of summer break. 2 months = 2 months each summer break might feel like its gone way too fast, or way too slow, buts its the same. its what you've done during your break that makes it feel likes gone faster or slower. for example when you are having fun it feels as though time has gone fast, but when you are really bored it feels that time is going slow. this is because when you are bored with nothing to do, you are aware of the time almost every minute of your life, but when you are having fun, you are unaware of the time. this conecpt can be seen in this example scenario 1: you spend the whole day having fun and it feels as though time has gone super fast scenario 2: you do nothing for the whole and it feels as though the day would never end does this mean that one day was shorter than the other? or was one day longer than the other? no. what you are saying from your explanation dictates that each day will become progessively shorter than the day before. which is not true.
    dude supergirl, you didn't read my post. it works on a macro scale, generally in years or months, not days. TIME ITSELF isn't moving faster dude, it's your perception of the duration of a year. A year has a certain "feeling" for it's length, you can kinda picture how long it is. Now, we do THAT, precisely based off of our lifetime's duration up to this point. When you're 80, a year is much less of your relative lifespan and collective experience than when you're 5.

11. Mufoofee
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 22:16:23

:hmm: This was the only summer that I actually got to hang out with my friends, probably for the last time too. <_< Everyone else is going to a different highschool. :( I am going to miss my 8th grade buddies. And yes the summer (for me) went by fast. :banghead:

12. Burnedfirefly
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 22:21:28

are we seriously arguing over this?! TIME IS TIME, AND WE ALL EXPERIENCE IT AS DIFFERENT, THOUGH IT WILL ALWAYS STAY AS IT IS: TIME, youknow, that thing not even the greatest minds in history could comprehend? just enjoy yer frkin day.... gawsh

13. Iota
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 22:26:05

Lol, the greatest minds in history can easily comprehend time, you don't know what you're talking about. We don't experience time differently, we live in the same system under same laws, but our memories and our sujbective "feelings" of how quickly it passed vary based on age, focus, mindset, maturity, etc. Also, i wasn't arguing, I was telling Supergirl that She (he? idk) was wrong. Also also, I am enjoying my day, and talking about stuff like this is part of the reason.

14. boshi
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 23:42:41

school started 2 weeks ago =l

15. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Sep 2 2011 23:55:48

Supergirl wrote: no. say your summer break is exactly 2 months for every year (until school ends completely ends for you), it would be exactly 62 days (july and august), which is 1488 hours. Say in 2007 your summer break was exactly 2 months (july and august), that would be 1488 hours of summer break and in 2008 your summer break was also exactly 2 months (july and august), that would also be 1488 hours of summer break. 2 months = 2 months each summer break might feel like its gone way too fast, or way too slow, buts its the same. its what you've done during your break that makes it feel likes gone faster or slower. for example when you are having fun it feels as though time has gone fast, but when you are really bored it feels that time is going slow. this is because when you are bored with nothing to do, you are aware of the time almost every minute of your life, but when you are having fun, you are unaware of the time. this conecpt can be seen in this example scenario 1: you spend the whole day having fun and it feels as though time has gone super fast scenario 2: you do nothing for the whole and it feels as though the day would never end does this mean that one day was shorter than the other? or was one day longer than the other? no. what you are saying from your explanation dictates that each day will become progessively shorter than the day before. which is not true.
    Seriously? Iota is only pointing out the psychological aspect on how our human minds perceive months and years. He is NOT saying days are short because of some data equation. He's only relating our human perception through a concept of math that does NOT say days [B]are[/B] shorter, but [B]feels[/B] shorter. Key word is feel. That's why Clyde said it felt like 1 month.

16. Soren
    Date: Sat, Sep 3 2011 14:47:51

i may have read or percieved what iota was saying wrongly, i apologize for that we are both talking about how time feels, but lets not go into another essay...

17. Rapid
    Date: Sat, Sep 3 2011 18:56:25

SCHOOL STARTED JUNE FOR US.

18. fang
    Date: Sat, Sep 3 2011 20:28:39

Burnedfirefly wrote: are we seriously arguing over this?! TIME IS TIME, AND WE ALL EXPERIENCE IT AS DIFFERENT, THOUGH IT WILL ALWAYS STAY AS IT IS: TIME, youknow, that thing not even the greatest minds in history could comprehend? just enjoy yer frkin day.... gawsh
    Amen!~

19. Burnedfirefly
    Date: Sat, Sep 3 2011 21:51:52

fang wrote: Amen!~
    i'm not god, light-kun was <)