UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / How do you plan a combo?

1. wings
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 10:15:43

I'm just curious if I can make better combos if I plan it instead of spamming tricks.. well I watched some of bonkura's vids and I saw a part where he made 2 same combos, I fail try and the other one is successful. So how do you make one? do you write it down(via breakdown) or memorize it? and what family tricks do you use? and how do you avoid spamming? I'm asking spinners here that spun more than 2 years lol

2. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 10:23:04

I just string together linkages. Try not to repeat. I personally don't use more than one TF Charge rev in one combo.

3. lolful
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 11:16:26

i use some linkages that works tohather like twted sonic bust>shadow egeg and link them toagther... i got an ending for my new combo but dunno what is for the begining : tf charge rev>fl ta r>fingerpass 12>34>demon sonic>neo sonic> tf charge rev> flta r tf>23 > pass 23>34>pinky bak

4. JackyMacky
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 17:38:00

It's all about using what you know and experimenting. If you think you don't have enough tricks, learn more. Copycating other combos work too but I wouldn't suggest because you'll keep spamming it. Good luck coming up with a combo. ^_^

5. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 18:27:51

try to include each major trick family at some point in your combo; good combos have variety. Save the best for last, but second best for first; first impressions are important, but final impressions are more so. Try to include new ideas, tricks, or linkages into each combo; this is the best way to grow as a spinner. When you are new its going to be hard to film amazing 30 second+ combos. keep the time short until you start getting consistent, its no fun having to refilm the same tricks over and over agian.

6. DArKT
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 19:03:36

Awesome wrote: try to include each major trick family at some point in your combo; good combos have variety. Save the best for last, but second best for first; first impressions are important, but final impressions are more so. Try to include new ideas, tricks, or linkages into each combo; this is the best way to grow as a spinner. When you are new its going to be hard to film amazing 30 second+ combos. keep the time short until you start getting consistent, its no fun having to refilm the same tricks over and over agian.
    I'm now an Awesome fanboy

7. Van
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 19:52:51

JackyMacky wrote: It's all about using what you know and experimenting. If you think you don't have enough tricks, learn more. [B]Copycating other combos work too but I wouldn't suggest because you'll keep spamming it[/B]. Good luck coming up with a combo. ^_^
    thats what i do, it works, but yea, running out of linkages lolz

8. Kill
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 23:13:41

i kinda just watch a group of spinners i like and pick whatever i like from their combos :P

9. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Aug 26 2011 16:24:51

Van wrote: thats what i do, it works, but yea, running out of linkages lolz
    Same here......I can't come up with my own combos.. T_T

10. wotu1
    Date: Sat, Aug 27 2011 05:54:49

Creativity is key. Put together linkages you think are good, and try to get as much diverse tricks as possible. Usually what i do is just fs a little (well not fs but brainstorm a combo while trying it out), but then if i have a, say, tw sonic 23-12, then i try to switch it with something better that still ends up in the same position, like sonic clip 23-13 ~ pass13-34> sonic clip 34-24 ~ pass 24-12. It still ends up in the same position, but its better than just tw sonic. Then after that, i keep on doing that until the combo seems nice. I usually remember he combo in my head, cause its a lot better than having to refer to a written down breakdown. And also, try not to switch simple linkages with other linkages you have already used in a lot of combos. Do random (NON-spam) things and just see what ends up in the position you want it to. And dont copy combos exactly. Take a linkage or two but dont completely take huge chunks or the entire combo from another spinner, cause thats not very creative. Sorry im not 2 years lol

11. Xienix
    Date: Sat, Aug 27 2011 08:46:43

i just freestyle and trow some linkages or heavy tricks in it and it looks cool ^^

12. Sc00t
    Date: Tue, Aug 30 2011 05:16:46

put the camera on freestyle til something good comes out of it

13. Walkaz
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 16:00:54

as title i cant plan combos,all of my combos so far are adlib and spammy as hell, and i dont want it anymore :angry: so im here to make a question :violin: :violin:

14. padrace
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 16:14:27

when i plan a full-length combo i always think of three eye-catching tricks/flashy linkages: a strong opener, something difficult in the middle, and a clear, climactic finisher. The linkages in between determine the tempo/smoothness of the combo as well as its length. with 3-4 "highlights" in the combo, the viewer won't lose interest.

15. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 16:15:26

If you wanna break away from FS spam just take a pen and paper and then start writing a combo down, try to make it mostly tricks and linkages you use in FS but then add tricks you know that you don't naturally use and some new linkages. Then practice the combo and film it. Once you do this a few times your FS will start to get new tricks appearing. If you're really stuck for ideas watch spinners you like and try to take sections of 2 or 3 tricks that look cool and fit them into your own combos. You can also think about combo structure when writing combos down think at the beginning I want to do something flashy to catch attention then I'll go into some easy tricks then do a moderately hard trick spin some easy tricks and finish off with the hardest trick in the combo.

16. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 18:23:20

Some of the better spinners are able to formulate a combo made entirely out of new linkages, such as VicGotGame and Fel2Fram. Their score goes through the roof because their difficulty level starts high and stays there. Just make it one link at a time and stack them.

17. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 02:54:56

i love you guys <3 thanks

18. 20%
    Date: Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:18:16

Same feel bro, ideal linkages?

19. agillitrhiz
    Date: Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:54:36

@Walkaz,u can plan combos?

20. Walkaz
    Date: Tue, Dec 11 2012 13:03:07

@agillitrhiz i cant

21. [TGN]
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:50:47

I tend to plan 3 "highlights" or difficult moments. One in the opening, middle and the finisher. The finisher is usually power though.

22. Kari
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 14:06:23

When I plan combos the hardest part for me is figuring out what to do in the middle. I can easily figure out how I want to start my combo, how I want to finish but the hard part is what to fill it in with. @strat1227 Is it possible to merge the threads? ^_^

23. Pixels
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 14:18:58

I dont plan. I just use linkages created from random fs i do... D: Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

24. spenpinner
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 15:35:45

People plan combos!?

25. x3silver
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 15:56:43

yeah. if u discover a nice linkage while fs-ing they go into your combo with other linkages hence planning.

spenpinner wrote: People plan combos!?

26. spenpinner
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 15:58:14

x3silver wrote: yeah. if u discover a nice linkage while fs-ing they go into your combo with other linkages hence planning.
    I was being facetious.

27. Walkaz
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 16:01:30

@Pixels that's exactly what im doing, and im looking for a change <_<

28. 20%
    Date: Fri, Dec 14 2012 15:15:19

Just write up good linkages you learned on some paper, the try it

29. Solar
    Date: Tue, Dec 25 2012 05:32:09

Im not that good at reading breakdowns, but for me, watching slow motions is the best :)

30. Dark Nite
    Date: Tue, Dec 25 2012 06:12:04

just experiment and find something that suits your taste. youll know you have got a good combo when you feel the tricks flowing through your hands easier with smoothness and well execution.