UPSB v4

Off-topic / Video Converter

1. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 00:28:42

I'm using Vegas to edit a CV but it doesn't read .avi files so could I get some suggestions for free video converters that can convert .avi to .wmv or some other common format but at the same time preserve as much of the video quality as possible? I tried a couple of online converters but they all make the quality poopy :/ I've googled a couple but I want some opinions first.

2. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 00:39:06

No need to convert. FourCC Code Changer.

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 00:56:05

@XYZaki It's not working for me >_< I downloaded the Avic program and also installed the DivX player and I changed the code from xvid to DivX and got all the confirmation messages but when I put it into Vegas it's just audio. Help?

4. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:21:55

k-lite codec pack. Or just convert it with SUPER if you know the appropriate bitrate settings.

5. GigaByte
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:26:21

just render it on mp4 format .. i always do that , no need to convert and easy to upload cuz the size of the video not to big like AVI file

6. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:30:03

GigaByte;128835]just render it on mp4 format .. i always do that , no need to convert and easy to upload cuz the size of the video not to big like AVI file[/QUOTE] How do I render it in Vegas if it doesn't play in Vegas... [QUOTE=XYZaki wrote: k-lite codec pack. Or just convert it with SUPER if you know the appropriate bitrate settings.
    I'll try the first one. I don't know the bitrate settings lol >_<

7. Raos
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:32:46

Nachoaddict wrote: How do I render it in Vegas if it doesn't play in Vegas... I'll try the first one. I don't know the bitrate settings lol >_<
    what version of vegas u using? Vegas should be able to read avi

8. nateiskewl
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:32:57

GigaByte wrote: just render it on mp4 format .. i always do that , no need to convert and easy to upload cuz the size of the video not to big like AVI file
    A video file's container format has next to nothing to do with it's quality or size.

9. GigaByte
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:35:39

Nachoaddict wrote: How do I render it in Vegas if it doesn't play in Vegas... I'll try the first one. I don't know the bitrate settings lol >_<
    why cant import ? mine can .. u use Explorer to import that file ?

10. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:37:14

DrakeOhMeteor007;128839]what version of vegas u using? Vegas should be able to read avi[/QUOTE] 9.0 Pro. It can't. If I import it it just gives me the audio when I pull it into the timeline. [QUOTE=GigaByte wrote: why cant import ? mine can .. u use Explorer to import that file ?
    I clicked import, then media, then found my file, then clicked it, then clicked open. I don't know what you mean by Explorer.

11. GigaByte
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:42:05

Nachoaddict wrote: 9.0 Pro. It can't. If I import it it just gives me the audio when I pull it into the timeline. I clicked import, then media, then found my file, then clicked it, then clicked open. I don't know what you mean by Explorer.
    urm , u already render it to avi and cant open now right ?

12. Vaan
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:47:40

XYZaki wrote: k-lite codec pack.
    i used this ^

13. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 01:54:51

GigaByte wrote: urm , u already render it to avi and cant open now right ?
    It's a CV. It's not my clip. Someone else rendered it or whatever they did and gave it to me in .AVI format.

14. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 02:00:53

Nachoaddict;128837] I'll try the first one. I don't know the bitrate settings lol >_<[/QUOTE] I think super has an automatic setting nowadays, but in the old versions you had to specify a bit rate, regardless in the properties of the video, there should be a data rate and total bit rate listed. [QUOTE=Vaan wrote: i used this ^
    I actually shy away from K-Lite codec pack, multiple codecs simultaneously is not the best solution.

15. GigaByte
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 02:22:11

Nachoaddict wrote: It's a CV. It's not my clip. Someone else rendered it or whatever they did and gave it to me in .AVI format.
    better u ask that guy upload again and give u another link ..

16. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 04:01:55

How about Realplayer? I've been using it and it's quite okay.

17. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 04:03:05

XYZaki;128861]I think super has an automatic setting nowadays, but in the old versions you had to specify a bit rate, regardless in the properties of the video, there should be a data rate and total bit rate listed. I actually shy away from K-Lite codec pack, multiple codecs simultaneously is not the best solution.[/QUOTE] So I just look at the data rate and bit rate in the video and copy them into the settings for Super? If I need to? That seems easy enough lol :p [QUOTE=Krypton wrote: How about Realplayer? I've been using it and it's quite okay.
    I'll try it out.

18. Sam
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 04:17:38

i just rename the extension. it works.

19. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 04:24:03

fuck this shit I downloaded the Super installer from both the official website AND Afterdawn and it says the installer is corrupted...wtf Edit by the way I tried realplayer. It says some of the parts of the video can't be played... And Sam, I did that. Not only is it not working, it's now unplayable in Windows Media Player

20. Elune
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 05:08:38

Download some "Free AVI to ... Converter" programs ? I'm using Total Video Converter xD

21. Escorpio123
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 05:44:02

I use Youtube Downloader ;)

22. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 05:51:17

@Nachoaddict Yeah, Realplayer is not free to access the whole thing, but you can do some stuff including converting with the free version. I'm not sure why but it always works for me. Try again?

23. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Aug 25 2011 18:15:48

Okay I decided I'm going to upload the video to Youtube unlisted and then download it with a Youtube downloader. I don't know if that's what you were getting at Escorpio but I think this method will be the easiest for me. Thanks everyone who posted :)