UPSB v4

General Discussion / Is there a way to unlearn a pen spinning style?

1. wings
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 16:25:06

I've been using a RG2T for more than a month, but then I noticed that my style becomes JEB-like @___@ but that is not the style that I want lol what should I do?

2. Mufoofee
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 16:33:02

Practice another or change the pen.

3. DArKT
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 16:51:49

Put some videos that whe can see

4. erik123098
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 16:54:58

Study links of what you want, do it often (I mean often as fck), use the mod that fits that style.

5. Raos
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 16:56:34

use a heavy mod

6. wings
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 17:16:24

Maybe I need to throw away, I mean stop using my RG2T lol and switch back to my personal mx or make an ARMX .__. u see I like to write & spin and I thought that the RG2T is the best mod but it actually f*cked up my style, btw I only have rsvps & pilot pens available, and the reason why I don't carry rare mods(like the one with HGG parts bec. it is rare in our country) is bec. I might lose it :(

7. Van
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 17:46:07

u can definatly change ur style if u want to lol i went from power tricker->bonkura style

8. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 18:42:25

Just drill the style you want to incorporate, and be alert of your style everytime you spin.

9. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 23:04:49

Krypton wrote: Just drill the style you want to incorporate, and be alert of your style everytime you spin.
    I agree.

10. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 23:09:15

You can't unlearn a style, but you can learn a new one to use. Focus on different tricks, examine your spinning, see what trick families you use the most and ones you don't use very much of and try balancing them out a bit. I used lots of arounds before, so I started using more baks, and that helped me.

11. AWtii69
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 23:19:47

im always changing syles, but given i just changed to a year, i decided to pick one and stick to it. i prolly changed every day, on ocasion even a couple of days

12. wings
    Date: Sat, Aug 20 2011 00:27:42

Van wrote: u can definatly change ur style if u want to lol i went from power tricker->bonkura style
    I've seen you in a collab before, lol you're awesome bro! So if I want to have bonkura/kin/A13x-style, then I can learn it?

13. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Aug 20 2011 01:13:12

I don't think you can ever unlearn your style BUT style can always be evolving even for spinners who have been spinning for the longest time. Eriror has been spinning for 6-7 years and in his most recent video you can see that his style is changing. Freeman had an old style where he spun quite fast but his style changed but there's a hint of his old style in his current style. There are many ways to change your style around. One is to spin a mod with a dramatically different weight or body thickness and it'll easily change your style. However, what I've come to learn about style is that if you really want to change it, you have to be very intentional with your spinning. What I mean is that you have to really study your spinning, analyse what your doing when you do a combo, linkage or trick. Once you've done that, see what you don't like and change it. A good place to start is speed and smoothness. See how fast and how smooth you are and adjust it to however you like. It may look incredibly ugly at first but fear not, it is easily refined. Other things you can look out for is common linkages you use, specific trick families or trick types you always use, how your other fingers move or position themselves when you do a specific trick (eg whether 1 is pointing out or curled in when you do a warped sonic 23-34) and directional changes. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL WHEN IT COMES TO CHANGING YOUR STYLE IS TO BE [SIZE="6"]PAITENT[/SIZE]!!! I've been developing my style for close to 2 years now and it's still not where it want it to be. Don't expect any drastic immediate changes when it comes to style. Some things takes for a week to 6 months to evolve so just endure it. It may be tiring, boring, long and whatnot but I can assure you that you'll be rewarded richly for you efforts. What I've gotten out of developing my style so far is that I get to shape my style to whatever I want it to look like and not let chance shape it for me, I gotten a very good control over my finger movements and better finger dexterity, my spinning has improved a lot in terms of variety, speed, smoothness and control, I have more flexible fingers now and some other things that I can't remember. Hope this helps!

14. wings
    Date: Sat, Aug 20 2011 01:48:57

Hippo2626 wrote: I don't think you can ever unlearn your style BUT style can always be evolving even for spinners who have been spinning for the longest time. Eriror has been spinning for 6-7 years and in his most recent video you can see that his style is changing. Freeman had an old style where he spun quite fast but his style changed but there's a hint of his old style in his current style. There are many ways to change your style around. One is to spin a mod with a dramatically different weight or body thickness and it'll easily change your style. However, what I've come to learn about style is that if you really want to change it, you have to be very intentional with your spinning. What I mean is that you have to really study your spinning, analyse what your doing when you do a combo, linkage or trick. Once you've done that, see what you don't like and change it. A good place to start is speed and smoothness. See how fast and how smooth you are and adjust it to however you like. It may look incredibly ugly at first but fear not, it is easily refined. Other things you can look out for is common linkages you use, specific trick families or trick types you always use, how your other fingers move or position themselves when you do a specific trick (eg whether 1 is pointing out or curled in when you do a warped sonic 23-34) and directional changes. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL WHEN IT COMES TO CHANGING YOUR STYLE IS TO BE [SIZE="6"]PAITENT[/SIZE]!!! I've been developing my style for close to 2 years now and it's still not where it want it to be. Don't expect any drastic immediate changes when it comes to style. Some things takes for a week to 6 months to evolve so just endure it. It may be tiring, boring, long and whatnot but I can assure you that you'll be rewarded richly for you efforts. What I've gotten out of developing my style so far is that I get to shape my style to whatever I want it to look like and not let chance shape it for me, I gotten a very good control over my finger movements and better finger dexterity, my spinning has improved a lot in terms of variety, speed, smoothness and control, I have more flexible fingers now and some other things that I can't remember. Hope this helps!
    Thank you Mr. Hippo! :) lol you mispelled patient XD

15. Van
    Date: Sat, Aug 20 2011 06:06:11

A13x/kin/bonkura? all those sounds really different man if u want to learn them separately, u probably can, but if ur trying to put them all together i don't think itll look good IMO lol A13x will need power too, along with consistency of it, while kin will mean T-Pass and it's crazy variation, topspins, bonkura will require independent finger movements and mastery of passes/Sonics and bak variation + inhuman smoothness (I'm probably missing some factors on A13x and kin cuz idk them that well)

16. Vaan
    Date: Sat, Aug 20 2011 06:21:05

Awesome wrote: You can't unlearn a style, but you can learn a new one to use.
    i agree, there is no way to unlearn ps style []_[]

17. wings
    Date: Sat, Aug 20 2011 09:21:57

Van wrote: A13x/kin/bonkura? all those sounds really different man if u want to learn them separately, u probably can, but if ur trying to put them all together i don't think itll look good IMO lol A13x will need power too, along with consistency of it, while kin will mean T-Pass and it's crazy variation, topspins, bonkura will require independent finger movements and mastery of passes/Sonics and bak variation + inhuman smoothness (I'm probably missing some factors on A13x and kin cuz idk them that well)
    lol I'll just have to start w/ bonkura, bec. I have to master some baks and work with my sonic variation linkages and most importantly the fingerpass reverse which is impossible for me even though I've been spinning for almost 3 years :) & THANK YOU everyone!