UPSB v4

Off-topic / Ambidexterity: Log

1. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 02:46:40

I will be trying to teach myself to use my left hand more skillfully / comfortably over the next few "however long it takes" And posting my progress here. This will involve minimal use of my dominant hand even for activities which might normally use two hands, and nightly handwriting assessments. 1-0 ABC abc and a paragraph. Day 0: most larger tasks are actually alright to do, i definitely feel impeded and slower though. Feeling more frustrated and paragraph is illegible. Day 1:Today was def very hard. Sore left arm in the morning. I ended up using my right hand in 3 instances to write (quiz, typing, cutting cardboard.) But kept a very left centric day. Everything took longer to do. Paragraph is about the same, capital letters are more evenly sized. Was very challenging to copy down notes when studying and took a lot of effort to keep going. Day 3:Didn't have as many opportunities to be left dominant today, being the weekend and all. Writing did not improve much, but holding the pencil and writing felt a little bit more natural. Was more dual handed today, but still focused oin my left hand. Day 4: About the same, not much improvement in writing or every day tasks Day 5: A little bit less control, but I'm feeling some effects in my sight, and focus, still don't have the dexterity necessary for legible handwriting, Letter size still needs work, I've switched to using both hands but focusing on using my left hand for ordinary tasks, left hand only was a bit too difficult to keep up. Day 6: Pretty much the same, progress is slow. Right hand is actually improving somehow, and I managed to do a small combo with my left hand. Day 7: Holding the pencil is more comfortable, a little faster, not much neater. 1 week down. Day 8 : Missed a day, fell asleep before I could write anything, so i'm continuing from here. Today was a little better, I should have chosen a shorter passage, dead my notes in my right hand because of how frustrating it was using the left.

2. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 03:10:18

legible? or did you type with your left hand too :P

3. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 03:11:43

Im gonna try this. Wish me luck. No log though.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 03:13:02

Oops, fixed :p and yes .

5. nateiskewl
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 03:15:10

shoeman6 wrote: I will be trying to teach myself to use my left hand more skillfully / comfortably or the next few "however long it takes" And posting my progress here. This will involve minimal use of my dominant hand even for activities which might normally use two hands, and nightly handwriting assessments. 1-0 ABC abc and a paragraph. Day 0: most larger tasks are actually alright to do, i definitely feel impeded and slower though. Feeling more frustrated and paragraph is illegible.
    However much you try, your ambidexterity will never be as impressive as President James Garfield's. He could simultaneously write Greek with one hand and Latin with the other. And that's my useless fact of the day. Thank me if it ever shows up on Jeopardy or Millionaire.

6. exclusive
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 03:25:50

shoeman6 wrote: Oops, fixed :p and yes .
    type with left hand

7. Quake
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 03:36:34

heres my thing. where i was born you cant do anything with your left hand. cept wipe your ass. dead serious. so i had to learn to do everything with my right hand. being left handed i grew up doing everything with my right hand. now that im in the USA i can do whatever with my normal hand, being my left hand. anyways point being, try to pretend your right hand doesnt exist. it will help with other things besides spinning. writing can be an issue but keep it up. then you'll be able to write perfectly legible with both hands. like me :D

8. Adventus99
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 05:55:08

I'm like half/half with everything. I think there is some factor with all my fingers in my left hand being double-jointed but none in my right are. It's kinda weird but I write with my right hand but I spin with my left.

9. GigaByte
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 06:04:51

good luck ..

10. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 06:05:17

I've been writing my Bio notes with my right hand (non dominant) for about 2 months now, where I can write with my own pace. It's not how I would like it to be yet, and not as smooth and quickly, but it's not too ugly. Some people I showed it to even thought that my left handed handwriting has gotten sloppy. Spinning wise my right hand is more stylish than left, though not as dominant (yet ;)) I think I can make an okay combo with my linkage arsenal, but I doubt the smoothness of it though.

11. exclusive
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 06:59:53

Krypton wrote: I've been writing my Bio notes with my right hand (non dominant) for about 2 months now, where I can write with my own pace. It's not how I would like it to be yet, and not as smooth and quickly, but it's not too ugly. Some people I showed it to even thought that my left handed handwriting has gotten sloppy. Spinning wise my right hand is more stylish than left, though not as dominant (yet ;)) I think I can make an okay combo with my linkage arsenal, but I doubt the smoothness of it though.
    what about cubing?

12. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 07:34:05

@exclusive Nothing much. But I can't really get used to mirroring algs that are R U heavy because I'm not used to L U ones. And I don't even do OH.

13. Explosion101
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:37:12

I used to be ambidextrous, but I hated writing with my right hand, so I chose my left. Now, I regret that choice. :(

14. Nicetricks
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 13:28:47

Yeah I've tried going ambidextrous...it didnt work at all lol

15. chris
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 14:06:22

I should try writing and doing tasks with my right hand...

16. nateiskewl
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 18:54:15

Krypton wrote: @exclusive Nothing much. But I can't really get used to mirroring algs that are R U heavy because I'm not used to L U ones. And I don't even do OH.
    OH is actually a lot easier for me with my non-dominant hand.

17. exclusive
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 19:02:43

nateiskewl wrote: OH is actually a lot easier for me with my non-dominant hand.
    can u have ur palm open then bend pinky only? look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYw4W0V_zo [video=youtube;dyYw4W0V_zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYw4W0V_zo[/video]

18. nateiskewl
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 19:12:51

exclusive wrote: can u have ur palm open then bend pinky only? look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYw4W0V_zo [video=youtube;dyYw4W0V_zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYw4W0V_zo[/video]
    I was working on that move when I stopped cubing. To get around it, I would just use my index to hit R. The loss of time isn't a big deal to me because I use Petrus F2L with Fridrich LL and extra time for foresight with Petrus is a good thing. Oh, and I can do it on my Rubik's DIY (one of the loosest cubes I've ever used), but on my broken-in store-bought Rubik's, it's considerably more difficult.

19. exclusive
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 19:26:48

nateiskewl wrote: I was working on that move when I stopped cubing. To get around it, I would just use my index to hit R. The loss of time isn't a big deal to me because I use Petrus F2L with Fridrich LL and extra time for foresight with Petrus is a good thing. Oh, and I can do it on my Rubik's DIY (one of the loosest cubes I've ever used), but on my broken-in store-bought Rubik's, it's considerably more difficult.
    I would use my index but my hands are kinda small