UPSB v4

Off-topic / Some Advice/Help Regarding School Library

1. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 12:49:08

Right, so I stay back in school to study, and the condition is horrible. Irrespnsible librarians, noisy environment caused by utterly inconsiderate bastards and altogether enough to induce murderous thoughts. The librarians are in some cases worse than the students, they talk really loudly, play songs, parkour around (like they think they can, one idiot broke his leg), talk all sorts of bullcock, and make hell lot of noise in general. The students are similar, they come in and out in big groups trying to look gangster and all that and make a lot of noise, too. I've complained to the teacher in charge of the library a couple of times already, but she's just not strict enough and the librarians take advantage of her kindness. I ws even pissed enough to bring this up to this really fierce and high-up teacher once, and she yelled and threatened but it's just a very brief solution. I know you're probably asking why don't I go home and study? Well, there's just too many temptations at home, and there's the free air-con and all the reference books I need in school. I've been doing this for my previous major exam, why can't I this time? Youngsters are just getting too irresponsible and disrespectful nowadays. So please let me know your thoughts on this matter and what I should do. I'm not a smart kid, and I work very hard for my results. I'm probably even slightly autistic, judging by my learning progress o_o And one more thing, are the libraries in your school/uni/college like that too? And how is it being kept in order / how are the offenders being punished? Thanks, and /rant. Try to keep trolling to a minimum, merci. :)

2. Jolly
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 13:29:24

First of all: O.o In your school library it seems to be very loud and boisterous. That is a fact I can't really relate to, because I have to say that in our library it is so quiet that it is already scary :D I don't know if I got it right but you said that the librarians act in a bad manner as well and they benefit from the kindness of the teacher being responsible for the library. So what kind of persons are they?? It sounds like they are students as well, because I could not imagine adults behaving like that. We have 2 adults as librarians and it is really their job, so they get paid for sitting there and manage everything. When there are smaller students who can't behave proberly, the librarians give them a warning first, but if they don't stop distracting the other people who want to learn or research or whatever, they simply have to leave the library. That's actually the "punishment". Also people who obviously don't plan to study are asked to go to the break hall because it is not the right place for their activities.

3. neXus
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 14:20:38

Headphones and a music player of your choice. Pick music that you can relax to and sit in a corner somewhere in the library. Block out the shit around you.

4. J74Q
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 14:22:50

Yea. I usually play classical music. Soothing and relaxing. Makes you feel good when doing work, blocks out the shit too :)

5. Explosion101
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 14:26:58

over time you'll learn to tune out all the noise

6. Jazz
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 15:40:13

i mean like o_O your school is so noisy :X our library i cant even talk to any of my friends D: i think you should go elsewhere to study (public library etc..) not in your school if thats the case, no one cares. or headphones as neXus suggested.. hmm

7. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 15:57:58

I know at my school the first floor of the library is noisey, but its a good place to do group work and what not, where as the other floors are quiet. I'd file a complaint to some higher ups or something if its that much of an issue, if they can't keep a library quite its pretty shitty regulation.

8. nateiskewl
    Date: Thu, Aug 18 2011 16:31:33

Listen to white noise, or go to the public library instead.

9. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Aug 19 2011 06:26:16

Sorry I didn't consider the possibility of different rules in our institutions. My school does not allow any electronic devices, and anyways I couldn't study with beautiful music playing :3 And yeah, the librarians are students and they get extracurricular marks for it. So much for being fair. And Nate, you're my lifesaver :D THANK YOU. I knew there was something like this out there.