UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Bored moments e.g. biting your nails, pen, etc.

1. Clyde
    Date: Thu, Jul 28 2011 09:03:20

I have this habit of counting 1-8 then 8-1, or, I flex my right thigh+flex my left jaw+move my right index finger, then flex my left thigh+flex my right jaw + move my left index finger, or, I slide my finger across some object then count 1-8 until I reach the middle part, then count 8-1 again from the middle to the end. Is there any psychological or w/e explanation to this? zz it kinda annoys me that I can't stop doing it Anyone else have similar habits?

2. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jul 28 2011 09:10:35

It's your brain keeping itself from going insane because you are bored. Pretty normal.

3. Rarity
    Date: Thu, Jul 28 2011 11:04:40

Making some kind of drum beat at school using my fist and feet. It's actually kinda fun xD

4. Clyde
    Date: Thu, Jul 28 2011 11:22:16

me too but mine includes a pattern, like I tap 2x right fist, 2x left fist, 2x feet, 1x both fists then 1x feet

5. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Jul 28 2011 13:46:15

I flex, twist and contort my fingers, usually associated with cracking of knuckles. I pick my nose and stuff at home. And my mind will wander over to Dutch or French. I find people tapping on the same table I'm doing work on extremely irritating, just saying :mellow:

6. AWtii69
    Date: Thu, Jul 28 2011 15:09:08

Krypton wrote: I flex, twist and contort my fingers, usually associated with cracking of knuckles. [B]I pick my nose and stuff at home.[/B] And my mind will wander over to Dutch or French. I find people tapping on the same table I'm doing work on extremely irritating, just saying :mellow:
    troll, or are you being serious?

7. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 03:29:31

there's a book "philosophy of boredom" i downloaded and read, very very interesting "It has been described as a "tame longing without any particular object" by Schopenhauer, "a bestial and indefinable affliction" by Dostoevsky, and "time's invasion of your world system" by Joseph Brodsky, but still very few of us today can explain precisely what boredom is. A Philosophy of Boredom investigates one of the central preoccupations of our age as it probes the nature of boredom, how it originated, how and why it afflicts us, and why we cannot seem to overcome it by any act of will. Lars Svendsen brings together observations from philosophy, literature, psychology, theology, and popular culture, examining boredom's pre-Romantic manifestations in medieval torpor, philosophical musings on boredom from Pascal to Nietzsche, and modern explorations into alienation and transgression by twentieth-century artists from Beckett to Warhol. A witty and entertaining account of our dullest moments and most maddening days, A Philosophy of Boredom will appeal to anyone curious to know what lies beneath the overwhelming inertia of inactivity."

8. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 08:01:38

AWtii69 wrote: troll, or are you being serious?
    Nah, was never a good one.

9. Noob
    Date: Sat, Jul 30 2011 10:51:17

I'm reading a book called Flow and the author provided an example of something like what you were doing

Here is one strategy from pp. 51-2 of Csikzentmihalyi's book on Flow: "Heinz Maier-Leibnitz, the famous German experimental physicist ... provides an intriguing example of how one can take control of a boring situation and turn it into a mildly enjoyable one. ... To alleviate [the burden of sitting through boring conferences] he invented a private activity that provides just enough challenges for him not to be completely bored during a dull lecture, but is so automated that it leaves enough attention free so that if something interesting is being said, it will register in his awareness. ... Whenever a speaker begins to get tedious, he starts to tap [his fingers in a regular pattern] ... there are 888 combinations one can move through without repeating the same pattern... Professor Maier-Leibnitz found an interesting use for it: as a way of measuring the length of trains of thought...Suppose a thought ... occurs in his consciousness while he is tapping during a boring lecture. He immediately shifts attention to his fingers, and registers the fact that he is at the 300th tap of the second series; then in the same split second he returns to the train of thought. [When the train of thought is complete, he calculates how far the series of tapping progressed while he was thinking.]"