UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Slaver INTRODUCTION

1. Slaver
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 21:10:53

Greetings, I searched for pen spinning mainly because I want something that I can flip in school. I am currently involved in flipping a balisong (butterfly knife) and those are illegal, especially in schools. I don`t have a spinning pen but I will make one. I made a bali-pen though: Now I want to get involved in pen spinning as well because I`m sure it will help my balisong manipulation greatly. So far I can do the basic thumb-around and some other move. IMO flipping a pen is much harder than a balisong, much harder to make it look nice. I spent a week to learn the full twirl with a bali that looks very impressive on the other hand I spent a week on the thumbaround with a pen and it looks very poor visually. As you can see from the video I am already used to certain kind of hand movements that I`m sure will come in handy with pen spinning. I am equally good with both hands and intend to keep it up with pen spinning.

2. RicLu98
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 22:12:05

i like your balisong flipping. welcome to upsb

3. Quake
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 23:18:44

:welcome: to UPSB. :)

4. Slaver
    Date: Mon, Jul 25 2011 10:31:18

Here`s the two pencils I`ll be using, do any of more experienced members have any wise tip to say about them? They are quite light, I know most of you experienced spinners recommend lighter pencils for starters. At this time I can do the thumbaround and a slow fingerpass with both of my hands, will be learning more. Why do you pen people make so much effort to make this spinning to a science with all those shortened names for moves, not to mention the load of slang words used for "pen mods" (wtf?). IMO it is very confusing to newbs, calling tricks with their full names and simplifying pen constructions would make this forum much more open and welcoming to new people. Another thing I noticed is that there are too many introductional threads to whatnot. I would prefer all of it on 1 page, no unneeded shit, just plain and straightforward basics on all about pen spinning. These are just some of my observations as a newbie, feel free to make counter arguments and perhaps some explanation why things are as they are. Thanks!

5. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Jul 25 2011 15:28:58

Welcome. The pencils you're using now seems fine..however you might want to change to a 'proper' mod as you progress. We shorten the names of the moves, for example, the Thumb Around to TA because if we were to break down a combo, it would take a lot more space and effort, also wasting much more time when we can just shorten them and people would still understand. Personally, I would much much more prefer to read a breakdown with shortened names instead of their full names. If new people do not know what the short forms stand for, they could just ask a question right away in the shoutbox. Not much of a trouble imo..

6. Cube
    Date: Wed, Jul 27 2011 14:44:57

Slaver wrote: Here`s the two pencils I`ll be using, do any of more experienced members have any wise tip to say about them? http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5596/dsc02539mz.jpg They are quite light, I know most of you experienced spinners recommend lighter pencils for starters. At this time I can do the thumbaround and a slow fingerpass with both of my hands, will be learning more. Why do you pen people make so much effort to make this spinning to a science with all those shortened names for moves, not to mention the load of slang words used for "pen mods" (wtf?). IMO it is very confusing to newbs, calling tricks with their full names and simplifying pen constructions would make this forum much more open and welcoming to new people. Another thing I noticed is that there are too many introductional threads to whatnot. I would prefer all of it on 1 page, no unneeded shit, just plain and straightforward basics on all about pen spinning. These are just some of my observations as a newbie, feel free to make counter arguments and perhaps some explanation why things are as they are. Thanks!
    Penspinning is more advanced then you think.

7. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 20:26:39

Slaver wrote: Here`s the two pencils I`ll be using, do any of more experienced members have any wise tip to say about them? http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5596/dsc02539mz.jpg They are quite light, I know most of you experienced spinners recommend lighter pencils for starters. At this time I can do the thumbaround and a slow fingerpass with both of my hands, will be learning more. Why do you pen people make so much effort to make this spinning to a science with all those shortened names for moves, not to mention the load of slang words used for "pen mods" (wtf?). IMO it is very confusing to newbs, calling tricks with their full names and simplifying pen constructions would make this forum much more open and welcoming to new people. Another thing I noticed is that there are too many introductional threads to whatnot. I would prefer all of it on 1 page, no unneeded shit, just plain and straightforward basics on all about pen spinning. These are just some of my observations as a newbie, feel free to make counter arguments and perhaps some explanation why things are as they are. Thanks!
    The abbreviations are to save time for actually writing out combos, sure it might make the learning curve a bit steeper, but it makes it that much better when (or if) you do get past it. For pen construction, its reccomended new spinners start with pencils or other stock pens while getting the fundamentals down. The complex pens are there when you are ready and want one. Balisong and pen spinning use different muscle groups, so don't expect too much carry over either. Also; :welcome: