UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Being more empathetic towards animals than people

1. neXus
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 15:54:21

I sometimes have these weird moments where I feel more empathetic towards animals than to people. Let me give you an example: I read a news story about a man that killed 20 kids. My feelings are neutral. I don't really care about this. I know this should be something that makes me sad but it doesn't. I read a news story about a man that stabbed 20 dogs. My feelings are deep honest hatred. I would choke this man if I had the chance. What made me start this thread is a documentary that I was just watching called Child of Rage, which is on YouTube. It's about a 6 year old girl who was raped and abused ever since she was born and she has to be locked in her room at nights because she will try to hurt and ultimately kill her brother and her parents by stabbing them. Now that is all sad and stuff and I did feel for the girl, it was not her fault she was the way she was, if you're 1 and your father sticks his fingers into your orifices until they bleed of course that is going to create a messed up person. I felt for her until the moment they started talking about the pets. She says her family has 4 pets and my immediate thought was, she's probably going to like pets, it's like her escape because she hates humans. I was wrong, the moment she says she stabs her pets with pens and that they scream and yelp in agony, that she wants them to be dead a switch in my head flipped and that kid can go die in a fucking fire. She found a nest with baby birds in them and she snapped their necks. She just took them and snapped their necks. This is a 6 year old girl. In the end she got therapy and a lot better, she no longer hurts people and she's friendly with animals, feeding goats and playing with birds and that calms me and I was happy for her but still for that moment I learn she hurts animals I do a complete switch on my opinion on that person regardless of what my previous opinion was. Anybody know anything similar or what I'm talking about?

2. funnky
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 17:00:33

yeah i know what you mean. i fell the same way to a certain extent. i would explain what i mean you already did above. and that documentary sounds really intense

3. funnky
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 17:33:59

neXus wrote: I sometimes have these weird moments where I feel more empathetic towards animals than to people. Let me give you an example: I read a news story about a man that killed 20 kids. My feelings are neutral. I don't really care about this. I know this should be something that makes me sad but it doesn't. I read a news story about a man that stabbed 20 dogs. My feelings are deep honest hatred. I would choke this man if I had the chance. What made me start this thread is a documentary that I was just watching called Child of Rage, which is on YouTube. It's about a 6 year old girl who was raped and abused ever since she was born and she has to be locked in her room at nights because she will try to hurt and ultimately kill her brother and her parents by stabbing them. Now that is all sad and stuff and I did feel for the girl, it was not her fault she was the way she was, if you're 1 and your father sticks his fingers into your orifices until they bleed of course that is going to create a messed up person. I felt for her until the moment they started talking about the pets. She says her family has 4 pets and my immediate thought was, she's probably going to like pets, it's like her escape because she hates humans. I was wrong, the moment she says she stabs her pets with pens and that they scream and yelp in agony, that she wants them to be dead a switch in my head flipped and that kid can go die in a fucking fire. She found a nest with baby birds in them and she snapped their necks. She just took them and snapped their necks. This is a 6 year old girl. In the end she got therapy and a lot better, she no longer hurts people and she's friendly with animals, feeding goats and playing with birds and that calms me and I was happy for her but still for that moment I learn she hurts animals I do a complete switch on my opinion on that person regardless of what my previous opinion was. Anybody know anything similar or what I'm talking about?
    ok so i just watched to whole child of rage thing. it was quite a story. even tho she killed the birds i did not have a opinion switch. idk but i cant belive that little girl was materbating at such a young age.

4. Colin
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 23:48:54

hold on hold on hold on.. Im empathetic towards animals..I saw a video of dogs being stabbed to death in China; but this is completely different. You need to udnerstand that she was fucking abused as fuck, and was fucked up in the head. She needed a way to vent about how she felt about her family..and this was what she wanted to do..plus she's a kid. She wouldntve been able to control her emotions, so anything she feels (happiness, anger) would be like x6. Which explains the birds and aminals.

5. neXus
    Date: Tue, Jul 19 2011 14:54:35

The thing is: In that moment where I learn she stabs dogs I switch to hatred, regardless of her back story. A dog could kill a child and if someone inhumanely kills that dog by idk, breaking it's neck or stomping it to death I will feel sad for that dog. What she did wasn't to vent. It wasn't to relieve her anger, her goal was to kill. She flat out says it when she's asked. Why are you hurting your dogs or Why are you hurting your brother and she answers that she wants to kill them.

6. Colin
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 04:07:33

[QUOTE=neXus;118050What she did wasn't to vent. It wasn't to relieve her anger, her goal was to kill. She flat out says it when she's asked. Why are you hurting your dogs or Why are you hurting your brother and she answers that she wants to kill them.[/QUOTE] Id wanna kill my family if they did that to me, too..

7. tacohead12
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 05:25:22

I feel the same usually. Animals just seem more innocent than humans. They don't know much except for how to live. Even if the humans are totally innocent like a baby, it doesn't really make a difference to me. It might be because I generally don't like babies >_> lol Anyway, It is also because I hate how humans are destroying the environment and stuff. It's so sad to see the dead coral reefs in the ocean. and overpopulation of the Earth annoys me. So I figure that's why I don't really care about people dying if they have no relation to me.

8. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Jul 21 2011 05:35:37

Yes I've felt this before as well :/ I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because my brain perceives animals as more helpless than humans? I mean I'm not saying they're dumb...no by no means. And I'm not trying to compare the worth of an animal to that of a human. I think that is completely dependent on the circumstances, the animal, and the person involved. However in this kind of situation I do pity the birds and the pets. I mean like you and Colin said, if you're abused like that at a young age there's pretty much only one path you're going to go down. One that involves destruction and pain unless you go through some kind of treatment. I don't know. Maybe it also depends on the age of the human because a baby also seems pretty helpless. It's pretty messed up if someone goes into a hospital and mauls 10 babies. But I think it has to do with a human's ability to fight back when approached by danger. Sure the dogs might have been able to but the dog probably didn't even know what she was going to do with the pen until it hit him or her. When she comes out with a knife toward a person, they know they're in danger. Same with the birds. A normal human's strength is usually considered higher than a bird's. Finally the way the people died. I mean they got stabbed. This is not unheard of. We see it in newspapers all the time. However snapping someone's neck or stabbing them with pens until they die is very unusual and I think that also contributes to the flipping of that switch in your brain.

9. Clyde
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:16:29

depends on what kind of animal, only Disney imo is the only thing that makes you care for bears, lions, snakes, etc dangerous animals. I wouldn't regret killing a lion if I'm ever asked to, lions only kill, they don't know how to care. They care only for themselves

10. Rapid
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 11:06:22

Clyde wrote: I wouldn't regret killing a lion if I'm ever asked to, lions only kill, they don't know how to care. They care only for themselves
    Not all man, not all. [video=youtube;zVNTdWbVBgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNTdWbVBgc[/video]

11. Clyde
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 14:35:43

look at what happened to those circus performers..roy and something I forgot lol one got eaten by a lion

12. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 17:53:19

He got attacked by a lion, he survived but he deserved to die. A lion is not something you should play with, it's a wild animal that has instincts that can kick in any moment. In his case they did and the lion attacked him. If you play with the fire prepare to get burned.

13. esp
    Date: Wed, Jul 27 2011 10:41:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L06I4OzkAA&feature=youtu.be Be warned, it's quite graphic.

14. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 15:34:59

@neXus I guess you must really hate us after watching this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFelfDbkzm4

15. Krypton
    Date: Sat, Jul 30 2011 09:04:49

Count me in. I couldn't care for fucks even if I see a kid get run over by traffic right in front of me, but I feel very sad everytime I see roadkill. And in where I live, assholes post videos of themselves torturing animals. One of them includes throwing a live kitten into a boiling pot of oil. I hadn't seen that video because I'm sure I couldn't stand it, but I was told that the cat screamed and yowled for about a minute, and then all that remains is a tangled mess of burned flesh and fur. @neXus, you're not alone mang.

16. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 23:18:07

Zombo wrote: @neXus I guess you must really hate us after watching this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFelfDbkzm4
    Animals in the slaughter house suffer much more than that, not to mention that they live all their life in horrid, cramp conditions before being "processed".

17. Sc00t
    Date: Thu, Aug 11 2011 00:57:39

animals are innocent, simple creatures Humans are all dark, depraved, to at least some extent. We deserve no mercy, but through technological accomplishment and intelligence we have taken rule over this planet by force. The horrible part? Many humans dont even realize how evil we are. The ones who do are a drop of oil in water [from pacifists to PETA, their level of zeal varies], and those who relish in it are the dirt at the bottom of the bucket. It's no wonder the aliens are all over the place here. No way they'll let us run loose in this universe, probably making sure we never accomplish that by isolating us on this planet.. All for the better tbh... but who knows what this will lead to. intergalactic war anyone?