UPSB v4

General Discussion / power tricks

1. Kiiro
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:50:08

i know a lot of people have been starting to use power tricks in their combos but is it out of style? can u still win battles with power against someone with style, or creativity? and dont give me the put your own opinion on it i wanna hear ur opinion

2. mapjay
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 13:35:39

i dunno but power has that level of difficulty as well as the aesthetic appeal to non-spinners.not saying that style is not appealing but power just WOWS the non-spinners

3. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 13:38:08

hmm lets see. People have been using power tricks because famous (and good) spinners have been using power tricks and they think that power will make them as good spinners as those famous spinners such as vicgotgame, supawit, spinnerpeem, and several others. You may be able to if the person has minimal creativity or style or you have insanely difficult power tricks, but you also have to have some form of creativity such as not doing an armaround x20 and expecting to win a battle.

4. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 13:38:09

power tricks are pretty difficult tricks but mostly they are not creative IMO

5. Kiiro
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 13:44:15

Yeah i like what @mapjay said it wowed me when i was a noob when i saw supawit but as mentioned before it is getting boring because there all either Hai tua pun kan palm tricks or spreads I personally would use them though because there fun to do and like s777 quoted spin for yourself

6. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 13:51:47

Kiiro wrote: i know a lot of people have been starting to use power tricks in their combos but is it out of style? can u still win battles with power against someone with style, or creativity? and dont give me the put your own opinion on it i wanna hear ur opinion
    is it out of fashion? not really, it's still quite popular among newer spinners (for better or worse)...but it's pretty clear that to become an 'elite', WT/WC level spinner, you need more than just power; usually one needs to be strong at one, and decent at another out of difficulty, style, and creativity, in order to do well; it's pretty clear the extent to which higher-level spinners depend on power alone has decreased in 2011, imo whether you can win battles against a spinner who is focused on style or creativity with a difficulty based combo purely depends on how skilled the spinners are in said areas, there's no 'yes' or 'no' =__=" both can win or lose; however, if the combo is only 'strong' in one aspect is facing a combo which is 'decent' in 2 or 3 aspects, i think the imbalanced combo should lose (in general...really vague question) having just power won't get you anywhere - nowadays, a lot of spinners can do low-level power xD power needs to be at a high level and stylishly done do be useful, and it has to be used in a balanced combo which also has linkage difficulty and decent structure (i.e. don't shove a heap of power at the start or middle, then spin randomly for the rest of it; power sequences shouldn't be too long) can power be stylish? of course :D can power be creative? it can be, but you need to be a genius in order to think of even more variations and perfect them...so far (other than spinnerpeem himself), hardly anyone has displayed 'creativity' in power; so for nearly all spinners, power isn't creative

7. fang
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 13:53:15

There are spinners who use power tricks but who keep in theire style, Like eriror, who use spreads and Haitua variations in hybrids, Or Fell2Fram who did 5 Haitua's with a strange hand movement. That is interesting.

8. Kiiro
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 14:04:46

yeah @i.suk i knew you would have a good answer spinnerpeem didnt compete in wt 11 because he said him self he only had power..i think supawit ive realised added some creative 2 hand spinning and has good linkages

9. DArKT
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 14:51:52

I think that powers are still pretty good tricks.one can use a hai tua x 2 to end a combo,pun new to swivel...just dont use only power,Supawit can make a beatifull combo of 1p2h,and he uses power tricks

10. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 18:14:41

Kiiro wrote: yeah @i.suk spinnerpeem didnt compete in wt 11 because he said him self he only had power..i think
    when did he say such a thing....?

11. Awesome
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 18:43:48

Yeah people will respect you for power, but it takes a long ass time to train, and that time could have been used focusing on creativity or style, which would earn you more respect from the spinning community, but less from non-spinners. Ideally you will strike a balance though.

12. Vizer
    Date: Tue, Jul 19 2011 01:37:08

i'm still a new spinner (3 or 4 months), so take this with a grain of salt style and creativity are more important than difficulty. eventually, the same old power tricks get repetitive and lose their appeal. the allure of power tricks is their flashiness and difficulty, but both of those things fade with time — it becomes boring to see the same "flashy" trick, and with enough practice, the hardest tricks become easy. that said, i love power tricks. to me, they are the embodiment of pen spinning. i was attracted to pen spinning because it's a discipline. it takes hard work and dedication — just like anything worth pursuing — but it makes you work hard. it's the most mechanically demanding skill i've ever seen; linking tricks together requires a ton of brain activity — and you have to commit it to muscle memory. power tricks are hell to learn and i like that. look at how the world is now — people are too lazy to take care of their own health, never mind chasing their dreams and working hard to fulfill them. i have immense respect for any good pen spinner, but even more for the ones who commit themselves to learning the hardest tricks :D i love the mantra and message of pen spinning: practice, practice, practice. in all aspects of life people look for shortcuts, for "pro tips" to do less work. that rarely helps in pen spinning; you can sit around all day talking about how to do a trick or linkage, but if you don't put in the hours you're not going to learn the trick or linkage. i have little regard for "skill" that can be taught. what value is there in knowledge that can be taught in 5 minutes? i admire ability that's forged through hard work :)

13. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Jul 19 2011 04:19:57

peem apparently said that he didn't like the judging methods of WT11, which people took to imply that he only had power tricks...he never said so explicitly himself personally, i don't believe he only had the same levels of power he had back in WC10, there's little doubt (imo) he had more, crazier variations of them; but he probably felt it wouldn't get him far enough in the tournament =\ i think that if peem even had 2 or 3 new variations (for goodness sakes, he thought of something a little different for most rounds of WT09 and WC10, i have 2 or 3 variations myself; peem probably has more), his 5/5 execution and 5/5 difficulty + better linkage ability than WT09 would get him to R3 easily, at least...but that's just speculation i guess one could have a similar argument about 'style' - with the fame of HAL, Sister_R, mesi, and other JEB spinners, the so-called 'japanese' style (a label i do not fully agree with) is gradually becoming over-used too :P but atm, nowhere near as much as power, yet (maybe?)

14. Pen Ninja
    Date: Tue, Jul 19 2011 04:41:21

I feel like power tricks had their fun but now theyre just another part of pen spinning, nothing new or amazing because of that, ur pretty fucked if thats all you can do. These days, being good at power and nothing else is like being god at baks and nothing else or being good at tw sonic variations, but nothing else... It's getting old and you need to start mixing it in with other things

15. RicLu98
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 00:21:07

power tricks add difficulty to a combo and are great finishers. spinners shouldn't spend all their time learning power tricks but they also should'nt spend all their time on creativity and style. there needs to be a balance between the two (creativity/style and difficulty). for example, s777 has a lot of creativity and style in his combos but they are very difficult even though he doesn't use powertricks. power tricks are not the only difficult tricks but they are hard to execute. Power tricks also look harder imo than difficult links and other hard tricks.

16. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 01:19:08

Power Tricks are a good way to add difficulty to a combo thats good, but needs to be harder. In short, dont make a combo out of them, but dont never use them. There is a quote in somebodies signature that talks about power tricks and cake and icing, and its really really funny, but it sums up power tricks completely. If somebody can find that sig, please post it.

17. Kiiro
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 06:57:35

i think tek said that in one of his ps weeklys or one of his vids maybe not ps weekly