UPSB v4

Regular Pen Discussion / Penwish devaluing pens?

1. Colin
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 06:48:20

Im sorry to bring this up, but I feel like it should be looked upon. I dont hate Penwish, Ive purchased from his store numerous times, and have had no complaints other than him not sending me freebies :( Anyway. I feel Penwish is devaluing pens because he is making it available for EVERYONE to purchase, at an abundance. What used to be 7$ Aqua Comssa caps are now 50 cents. What used to be 5$ ACT's are now 3$. What used to be 4$ PDS White comssas are now 1.20, with Aqua caps. What used to be impossible to get Metallic Gels/Needlepoint tips are now available at 2.50 a pop. HGG subs are fine cause theyre nothing like real HGG's :p BUT. This is what I feel. I know he's only trying to help out the community, and make a [small?] profit on the side. But I feel this is unfair to those who have invested so much money on the rare pens, only to be devalued by Penwish's store, because of abundance and a lower price. Again, no hate. Just needed to get this out there.

2. Cloud
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 06:57:33

He's sent me freebies twice, for some inconveniences. :P He sent me an unmodded Emboss mod. (even though I did tell him I actually just needed the white Embosses... so it actually helped) I've seen a guy sell an Aqua pack for like 50 bucks. (not exact price, I can't really remember but it was pretty expensive) People still buy as collector's items. Metallic Gels are still not available individually (well unless you opt for random) because he can't get individually and yellows are in such high demand, thanks to TEK. He's said PW doesn't actually make him much... It really helps to get those pens for modding, since almost no one has as much stock as him (besides yurchek)

3. PenwisH
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 07:08:34

Well for all shops that deal with "international sourced goods". I try to price them fairly. ACT for 5$ each is over 600% retail price.....i get them for more expensive than people in taiwan but they can get it for under 1$ a peice. Just because it's difficult to get doesn't mean it should be hugely over inflated. Any body that can use translators or loosely knows how to communicate in another language can get the same things I can get. I always give PLENTY of notice that I'm working on something which usually gives people at least 6 months to a year more to sell the stuff. It's not like i bust stuff out and say HEY i just got this check it out. For a lot of the things I sell it actually helps a lot of international traders since people like in china or taiwan can charge a lot more for things like ACT that they can get a lot cheaper than I do. It balances out, but I suggest you sell your stuff if you want to recoup any "investments" since i do usually give plenty of notice.

4. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 12:54:11

so what about m&ms? When they get on PW, the price for it will drop

5. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 13:00:16

if m&m hit penwish.com, then it would mean there are a lot more m&ms out there than we all thought, so it wouldn't matter if PW was selling them or not, the value would decrease anyways

6. PREDATORNET
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 13:14:17

M&M's are Japanese and discontinued, good luck finding them in stores everywhere. But yeah, prices of pens in China and Taiwan are ridiculously cheap, in store, i found signo DXes for 1 USD, every color, Nextage for 2 USD, A-gels 3 USD and Signo RTs for 1 USD. They are in loads of stock, and i've always wondered whether PW gets them for less, cause then that would be SO DAMN CHEAP!

7. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 13:28:36

drgripable wrote: if m&m hit penwish.com, then it would mean there are a lot more m&ms out there than we all thought, so it wouldn't matter if PW was selling them or not, the value would decrease anyways
    uh penwiosh is spending 5 digits ofmoney just for the company that made m&ms to prouce a limited amount for him

8. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 13:30:37

Penwish isn't getting more M&Ms from buying them in various stores, he's paying Pentel to manufacture them for him.

9. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 13:42:04

@DrakeOhMeteor007 , :o

10. exclusive
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 15:37:43

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: uh penwiosh is spending 5 digits ofmoney just for the company that made m&ms to prouce a limited amount for him
    exaggerate?

11. Apho
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 15:52:50

The problem with giving the community plenty of time to notify them that Penwish is getting something new in stock soon is that those who see that may rather opt to wait it out then spend more money on traders who are trying to get rid of stock at a higher price than what the buyer could get them at in a few months.

12. PenwisH
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 15:56:21

most people aren't willing to wait 6 months to 1 yr for pens typically. most traders have no clue i'm getting new stuff till quite a while after i announce it. atleeast from what i can tell

13. Apho
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 16:02:47

I suppose, I'm speaking from experience lol, some people may not order from PW as frequently as others they might be willing to wait as well though

14. PenwisH
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 16:04:51

but i think most people appreciate that things are available for reasonable prices rather than not. Can't keep everyone happy =p

15. instance
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 16:17:18

PenwisH wrote: but i think most people appreciate that things are available for reasonable prices rather than not. Can't keep everyone happy =p
    I have to agree with this, id rather have pens available at a cheaper price, because I could say that a LOT of people would rather pay a buck than 10 bucks for a pen. You can't always make everyone happy and thats going to always be it. Any traders that arent happy with devaluation could just closely pay attention what penwish announces.

16. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 16:51:54

Well it all depends on how cheap PenwisH makes these new M&M's. I mean the Marvy Marker Mods he got are not "that" much cheaper than what they were before. Albeit I don't think he got those specially manufactured. Will there be the same logo and everything @PenwisH?

17. itzDaKine
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 16:57:38

@Nachoaddict i remember when everyone was fighting over m&ms in the sb when idr who it was had like 9 left and he was selling $10... and PW came in and said something along the lines of "the m&ms really getting popular? wow maybe i need to start selling them for $10 a pop!"

18. PenwisH
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 17:08:30

it's made by original manufacturer nacho. it will be 100% less than 4-5$ once i do get them eventually

19. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 17:24:50

So now M&M packs are gonna go down from $150+ to something like $30-50 a pack. Wow sucks for whoever invested in M&Ms. But don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge it. I mean this is what the price was before they got discontinued.

20. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 17:26:01

@PenwisH how much are Pentel making you?

21. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 17:38:46

Isn't it beneficial to have lower prices? I always considered the value in trading and selling pens after market is usually internationally (people without access to penwish) and after you have created a modified product. Supply and demand, I think it's nice that Penwish can offer some pens at reduced prices, rather than having artificial community based prices. Buy having a steady supply it actually evens out the price of some pens and it's more fair for everyone. It's not as if Penwish is buying up all the pens and selling them at extremely high prices, which he probably could do somewhat successfully). If you really want some high profits use the pens you've hoarded and establish yourself as a quality Pen Modder, selling those rather than the bare product. If that doesn't work for you, look to trade internationally, it might be easier for some to go through you rather than penwish even if you charge higher prices for your parts. Instead of having a hoarded supply of pens I think it's nice that penwish allows us all to have the parts we need to make the mods we want to. It might not have been appropriate for the information to have been put out ahead of time thus leaving traders unable to sell miffies with people knowing prices will decrease in the near future, but that's the past. Traders should know when they purchase something for long term profit that artificially inflated prices might not last for long. As for if it is ethical or not to open new branches of production for pens which have been too all knowledge stopped. I'm not complaining. Maybe if they were marked somehow as V2 miffies. So that 1st edition miffies could maintain their collectors status & worth .

22. Apho
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 18:23:37

The problem with buying something for long-term profit is that its like an investment into stock or something, where factors in the market (i.e. Penwish manufacturing) will either appreciate the investment in value or depreciate it, its up to the owner on when to sell and how much, if they wait too long and something more convenient for consumers is introduced which lowers the value on their product/investment, they're screwed and probably should've watched closely for the best time to sell or sold earlier edit: my point was its the risk they willingly take, any consequences can only be blamed on them. lol

23. Tetsip
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 19:01:14

Don't forget peeps. Penwish prolly know the most about business than all of you combined lolol.

24. Sam
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 20:23:18

PenwisH wrote: Well for all shops that deal with "international sourced goods". I try to price them fairly. ACT for 5$ each is over 600% retail price.....i get them for more expensive than people in taiwan but they can get it for under 1$ a peice. Just because it's difficult to get doesn't mean it should be hugely over inflated. Any body that can use translators or loosely knows how to communicate in another language can get the same things I can get. I always give PLENTY of notice that I'm working on something which usually gives people at least 6 months to a year more to sell the stuff. It's not like i bust stuff out and say HEY i just got this check it out. For a lot of the things I sell it actually helps a lot of international traders since people like in china or taiwan can charge a lot more for things like ACT that they can get a lot cheaper than I do. It balances out, but I suggest you sell your stuff if you want to recoup any "investments" since i do usually give plenty of notice.
    If everybody was as nice as penwish, we would all be happy and no hate. I LOVE YOU

25. Dudak
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 21:48:31

Why would you invest in rare pens?

26. Pen Ninja
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 21:50:58

you're all crazy, PW can do what he wants. he buys things for 1 price, sells the m for another for a profit. Anything like helping the community and such comes on the side. Sure he'll make pens cheaper, but then more people buy from him, i cant even begin to explain how simplified that was... Why would you invest in pens? Why would you complain when it goes wrong any more than when you invest in property and a sewerage treatment plant gets opened on the next street over. If you invested in all these pens, you knew the risks... sure in time they'll go up in price but you cant expect them to go up non-stop, its a bumpy road... if ur gonna play the pen market of all things, remember its the same as just about any other market. Don't blame PW for shit just because he has a legit store and ur there hoarding pens to sell

27. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 00:34:12

This thread is stupid.

28. tacohead12
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 01:16:42

I agree^ Penwish can sell for whatever price he wants >_>

29. Awesome
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 02:01:12

Colin wrote: Im sorry to bring this up, but I feel like it should be looked upon. I dont hate Penwish, Ive purchased from his store numerous times, and have had no complaints other than him not sending me freebies :( Anyway. I feel Penwish is devaluing pens because he is making it available for EVERYONE to purchase, at an abundance. What used to be 7$ Aqua Comssa caps are now 50 cents. What used to be 5$ ACT's are now 3$. What used to be 4$ PDS White comssas are now 1.20, with Aqua caps. What used to be impossible to get Metallic Gels/Needlepoint tips are now available at 2.50 a pop. HGG subs are fine cause theyre nothing like real HGG's :p BUT. This is what I feel. I know he's only trying to help out the community, and make a [small?] profit on the side. But I feel this is unfair to those who have invested so much money on the rare pens, only to be devalued by Penwish's store, because of abundance and a lower price. Again, no hate. Just needed to get this out there.
    Wait...wut? Lower prices help the community out, they let spinners get the pens they want at better prices. That seems like a pretty kick ass deal to me. If you're "investing" its your responsibility to be on the look out for these kinda changes on the market.

30. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 03:44:44

no investment is 100% safe & profitable :P its just like Pen Ninja said... and the fact that Penwish gives prior notice is just... pure nice and considerate PrinceXD

31. RicLu98
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:04:43

whats the point in investing in a PEN. a pen is a pen and theres nothing that's worth that much about a pen. theres stuff you can invest in that's much more profitable. only an actual comapny can make profit like penwish or a big company like pentel and pilot. and pw can choose to set the price at whatever he wants.

32. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:07:38

sheesh it's just a pen, what's up with these guys spending like $10 on a pen that don't write?

33. Advecticity
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:19:25

Although I do agree that there are more profitable investments one can make, it's short-sighted to say that a pen is just a pen. Anything with demand can be made into an investment, and a collectible pen certainly has demand. There's nothing "up with the people" that have a hobby (penspinning) and try to at least come up even on the money they spend on it.

34. Sam
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 05:13:15

One man's trash is one man's treasure

35. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 06:23:16

this happens all the time in any sort of investment, u can invest in stocks which go up or down due to circumstances beyond your control, thats how the game is played and its your job to speculate on the future value of your assets

36. S.E.Cular
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 08:50:02

daniel0731ex wrote: sheesh it's just a pen, what's up with these guys spending like $10 on a pen that don't write?
    really? we are the wrong people to say something like that to.

37. Rapid
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 09:37:48

@S.E.Cular Maybe you are new here. Maybe [B]WE[/B] are the wrong people to say that but he's not ;)

38. erik123098
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:21:16

I think not since they would be bankrupt if they do so?

39. exclusive
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 06:24:42

daniel0731ex wrote: This thread is stupid.
    do they allow this on speedsolving? lol

40. Greenman
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 18:38:15

um why does it matter you can just buy the pens for less than and also the hgg tip grip set is a lot like the original